is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?

+20
PhilH
waddayamean
Chambo Off To Work We Go
killer
Big Phil
Southee
Thiele
UncleHuey
mickyj
scott
blueandwhite
goddy11
RODH2
Scrunch
Scrappy
columbo
fishing for bait
Mannyredleg
southern bulldog
William
24 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?  - Page 4 Empty Re: is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?

Post by PhilH Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:45 am

As for Crowds at the finals this week

Last Year we had
- Central v Norwood (Elimination Final)
- Port v West (Qualifying Final)
CROWD 8,013

This year we will have
- Adelaide v Central (Elimination Final)
- South v Sturt (Qualifying Final)

My prediction, a slight drop .... 7,620
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?  - Page 4 Empty Re: is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?

Post by goddy11 Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:04 am

Witn no AFL and on a Saturday , the SANFL must adervise and promote this game from day 1(today). Under 10,000 will be disappointing and show were our comp is going. I should also be an opportunity for the Crow to promote their reserves.
goddy11
goddy11

Teams : crows,ealges,

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:09 am

Really hoping a few neutral supporters get behind South (possible premiership in 52 years)

Love to get a bit more voice behind the boys out there on Saturday.

Going to be a big day but very excited about it all.
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:55 am

There was a lot of support for the home team at Noarlunga yesterday, more than Ive seen for a long time. At one stage the queue was 5 deep at the merchandise stand.
I think the variable will be , how many will support the crows next Saturday, being at Adelaide Oval and no AFL a few may be tempted to attend. Yesterday their support was minimal, when the crows scored the applause was like a golfer holing a putt for a bogey. Shocked
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:03 pm

blueandwhite wrote:There was a lot of support for the home team at Noarlunga yesterday, more than Ive seen for a long time. At one stage the queue was 5 deep at the merchandise stand.
I think the variable will be , how many will support the crows next Saturday, being at Adelaide Oval and no AFL a few may be tempted to attend. Yesterday their support was minimal, when the crows scored the applause was like a golfer holing a putt for a bogey. Shocked

You could be right about the crows crowd at Adelaide oval .

And if I was a Sturt fan id rather face the Eagles at Adelaide oval than South .
South on a big oval is like playing them at home .
Do Sturt fans show up next week ..... I'd say of course they should the diehards like I'm a diehard Eagles fan would turn up .
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:16 pm

mickyj wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:There was a lot of support for the home team at Noarlunga yesterday, more than Ive seen for a long time. At one stage the queue was 5 deep at the merchandise stand.

And if I was a Sturt fan id rather face the Eagles at Adelaide oval than South .
Do Sturt fans show up next week ..... I'd say of course they should the diehards like I'm a diehard Eagles fan would turn up .

..interesting to note that South had altered the boundary on Hickinbotham Oval for yesterdays game.(and training as well I suppose)...brought it in 5 or so metres ..so now it matches Adelaide Oval exactly... Twisted Evil
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:40 pm

blueandwhite wrote:
mickyj wrote:

..interesting to note that South had altered the boundary on Hickinbotham Oval for yesterdays game.(and training as well I suppose)...brought it in 5 or so metres ..so now it matches Adelaide Oval exactly... Twisted Evil

don't be bitter, this is a smart move, why not play & train on the same size oval as where the finals are played ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:49 pm

bayman wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:
mickyj wrote:

don't be bitter, this is a smart move, why not play & train on the same size oval as where the finals are played ?

Good point bayman
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:50 pm

Last 5 years - Finals First Week Crowds

2015 - 8,013 (Adelaide Oval)
- Central v Norwood (Elimination Final)
- Port v West (Qualifying Final)

2014 - 12,147 (Adelaide Oval)
- South v Eagles (Elim Final)
- Norwood v Sturt (Qual Final)

2013 - 5,886 (AAMI Stadium)
- North v Central
- West v Eagles

2012 - 7,126 (AAMI Stadium)
- North v Eagles
- West v Central

2011 - 9.192 (AAMI Stadium)
- South v Glenelg
- Norwood v Eagles
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by scott Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:23 pm

Such an unknown this week with Adelaide. With no AFL to feed their mass of supporters, they could have 500 turn up or 5,000. Or more.

I think 2014 was good due to the night matches but since the Seven and the SANFL wanted to be done and dusted before the women's match that was committed to the main channel, I guess that's why they went with day matches.

I think Saturday will draw somewhere between 9k and 12k. I don't think it's far off to expect these sorts of supporter numbers ... Adelaide 3k, Centrals 2k, Sturt 3k, South 1.5k = 9.5k
scott
scott

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:25 pm

the other variable is this week it is on a Saturday & all finals in recent memory has been on Sundays....i hope they get 20,000, however i fear it'll be about 6,000
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by PhilH Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:38 pm

OK ... so far we have

Scott -- 9,500

PhilH -- 7,620

Bayman -- 6,000

BTW - Weather looking OK, partially cloudy 17c no rain forecast a day before or after.

Also - Semi Final games should be Sunday Sept 11 as Crows scheduled Sat Night Sept 10

PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:54 pm

I hope you don't take this as being defensive but I totally agree with you re home game finals.

Finances are tough across the league

I can't see how anyone makes money from say 8,000 turning up to Adelaide Oval given all the staff they need to pay (no volunteers).

But even if only 3,000 turned up to each (& I would hope it would be more) the clubs would make good money from their bar & canteen, a good reward for playing finals.  (And yes I agree that even if Crows are ranked higher they should be visitors).

And that is before you get to having a better atmosphere at the games.
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:51 pm

PhilH wrote:I hope you don't take this as being defensive but I totally agree with you re home game finals.

Finances are tough across the league

I can't see how anyone makes money from say 8,000 turning up to Adelaide Oval given all the staff they need to pay (no volunteers).

But even if only 3,000 turned up to each (& I would hope it would be more) the clubs would make good money from their bar & canteen, a good reward for playing finals.  (And yes I agree that even if Crows are ranked higher they should be visitors).

And that is before you get to having a better atmosphere at the games.

Well if it's anything like the GF rematch they won't allow fans to sit on the eastern side you could get in that gate but God help you if you sat there . Then the soccer comes they were allowed everywhere
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:53 pm

waddayamean wrote:It should be Central V Adelaide at Elizabeth and South V Sturt at Noarlunga. I think the combined total would be more and a much better look for the competition.
Totally agree. I think they would get much bigger crowds and it rewards both the teams and supporters.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by killer Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:59 pm

killer
killer

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:02 pm

Thiele
Thiele

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:46 pm

UncleHuey wrote:
waddayamean wrote:It should be Central V Adelaide at Elizabeth and South V Sturt at Noarlunga. I think the combined total would be more and a much better look for the competition.
Totally agree. I think they would get much bigger crowds and it rewards both the teams and supporters.

Completely disagree. Players love playing on the big stage.

I think it is very disrespectful to local league to have these games played at suburban grounds.

Keep it as it is.....
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:37 pm

i think it is fair to say it would be a thrill for the players playing at the historic Adelaide oval, absolutely no doubt about that, especially those that have never played there, however a crowd of 5,000 at any suburban ground has to look better than the same crowd at the Adelaide oval, whether that be tv, tv news segments or photos in the paper, in my book there isn't a right or wrong answer, it is just a good discussion to have............

there is one point overlooked, after basically no home games, Adelaide now have 'Home Finals'
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:51 pm

Just about every other league in the country plays its minor finals at the same grounds where the minor round games are played at.

PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next