is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?

+20
PhilH
waddayamean
Chambo Off To Work We Go
killer
Big Phil
Southee
Thiele
UncleHuey
mickyj
scott
blueandwhite
goddy11
RODH2
Scrunch
Scrappy
columbo
fishing for bait
Mannyredleg
southern bulldog
William
24 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?  Empty is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?

Post by bayman Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:32 pm

Given the likely make up of the 2016 finals series, is the finals series doomed for low crowds? Sadly i feel it is, Adelaide, South & Eagles have little or no support (Adelaide)
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?  Empty Re: is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?

Post by Brucetiki Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:02 pm

Everyone went doom and gloom for the Eagles v West Grand Final last year and that still got 25k, which is still stronger than what the WAFL and VFL get these days.

I don't think the finals will have tragically low crowds.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?  Empty Re: is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?

Post by southern bulldog Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:16 pm

Dont forget the 4000 the Crows guaranteed would attend games.
southern bulldog
southern bulldog

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by PhilH Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:10 pm

not one of those teams draw a crowd. That is why the crowds are down

Mathematics not a strong suit for you is it?

How can if be the Eagles fault that crowds are down if the Eagles are one of just a couple of clubs with increases in both home and all game crowds thsi year.

By your logic ... yes Eagles crowds are up but it's still Eagles fault that crowds at non Eagles games are down.

It's all relative

I'd back the Eagles to have more supporters coming to the finals than Adelaide or South but less than Central & Sturt.

I guess you better hope Eagles finish top so Sturt fans need to come to the first weekend of finals.

And also that the Eagles win the 2nd semi final so that hopefully Sturt or Central are in the prelim.
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:26 pm

Brucetiki wrote:Everyone went doom and gloom for the Eagles v West Grand Final last year and that still got 25k, which is still stronger than what the WAFL and VFL get these days.

I don't think the finals will have tragically low crowds.

I did say finals, the grand final is an "event" more people will go, however to answer your question, if any two of the three teams I mentioned make the grand final then i'd suggest the grand final would attract no more than 18,000 happy to be wrong though,  added the possibility of a cold wet day or night won't help either & also the other possibility of a clash with the slowdown during the finals series
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:26 am

Slowdown is at Glenelg on Sunday September 4th.

Now final AFL round is scheduled (Crows at home Friday Night)
we await fixture for final SANFL round (assume Norwood v Eagles at Norwood would now be a Saturday to not go head to head with Crows game)
and when they will schedule first week of SANFL finals during the AFL bye week.

Will SANFL double header be a Saturday afternoon / twighlight / night
or the normal Sunday lunch / afternoon
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:28 am

I've never understood the obsession some have with crowd numbers.

Some clubs have always drawn big crowds, some not so much. So what?

What's the point here? Is it that lower drawing teams should disappear? Get rid of the lowest drawing team until there's only 2 left?

I follow West. We have a lower support base. Until this year, they've been loyal and when other team's crowds have fluctuated with their results, West's have been relatively steady. This year we're barely worth watching for many and they've understandably dropped off.

We all want to see healthy crowds, but the big question is the decrease in overall crowd numbers, not decreases in individual club's numbers.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:35 am

As for where the crowds are down this year

Consider the following
(Home crowd numbers compared with same # of home games last year)

Port -5413
Glenelg -3157 (part is losing Good Friday game to South)
Norwood -2499
Sturt -1707

Combined the drop in home support from the BIG FOUR clubs is

The total across the other 5 SANFL clubs (Central, Eagles, North, South & West) is a GAIN of 1605 (mainly thanks to Central's growth)

PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:41 am

waddayamean wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:Everyone went doom and gloom for the Eagles v West Grand Final last year and that still got 25k, which is still stronger than what the WAFL and VFL get these days.

I don't think the finals will have tragically low crowds.[/quote

Who cares what they get ? We are talking about the SANFL.

So going by how you rant about the small crowds at games how would port or Adelaide seconds teams pull in large numbers 2289 at yesterday's game 
go ahead enlighten us you always tell us how bad clubs are 
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:44 am

waddayamean wrote:
bayman wrote:Given the likely make up of the 2016 finals series, is the finals series doomed for low crowds?  Sadly i feel it is, Adelaide, South & Eagles have little or no support (Adelaide)

Agree Bayman . How people continue to say any of these clubs have a good supporter base is beyond me. Sorry but when it comes to the crunch not one of those teams draw a crowd.  That is why the crowds are down . Inclusion of the AFL teams is an excuse.

So how do you get bigger crowds ?
Get rid of Eagles west and south 

And so you know many fans will not attend games that the afl sides play in so numbers drop
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:09 am

waddayamean wrote:
PhilH wrote:not one of those teams draw a crowd. That is why the crowds are down

Mathematics not a strong suit for you is it?

How can if be the Eagles fault that crowds are down if the Eagles are one of just a couple of clubs with increases in both home and all game crowds thsi year.

By your logic ... yes Eagles crowds are up but it's still Eagles fault that crowds at non Eagles games are down.

It's all relative

I'd back the Eagles to have more supporters coming to the finals than Adelaide or South but less than Central & Sturt.

I guess you better hope Eagles finish top so Sturt fans need to come to the first weekend of finals.

And also that the Eagles win the 2nd semi final so that hopefully Sturt or Central are in the prelim.

Where did I say it's the Eagles fault ?   Bayman started a good topic and accurate one. Forget about the home crowd figures and go and look at crowd numbers in finals and which clubs get bigger crowds. Take a big pcture look at crowds not just the Eagles home crowds.

you run down eagles crowds every post in an eagles game
Port v adelaide drew 2289 how do you think they will draw big crowds

Last edited by mickyj on Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:56 pm

The Grand Final will be well attended but some of the other finals may not be.

I think if South plays finals then some of their long suffering fans will emerge from the woodwork.

The issue may be Adelaide, unless the Crows fans want to get off their arses and watch then their finals will be sparsely attended. Not having Norwood or Port involved will also hurt attendances a bit.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:17 pm

UncleHuey wrote:The Grand Final will be well attended but some of the other finals may not be.

I think if South plays finals then some of their long suffering fans will emerge from the woodwork.

The issue may be Adelaide, unless the Crows fans want to get off their arses and watch then their finals will be sparsely attended. Not having Norwood or Port involved will also hurt attendances a bit.

It'll also depend on if and where Adelaide's AFL team travel for finals. If you're going to have 25,000 Crows fans potentially heading to Melbourne for a final the same weekend Adelaide are playing an SANFL final, that is always going to hurt attendance.

It'll be interesting if Port/Norwood not playing in finals will be offset by Sturt/Centrals playing in finals.

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:47 pm

I can assure you if South make the Grand Final...... the last thing on my mind will be how many people are there!
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:31 pm

blueandwhite wrote:I can assure you if South make the Grand Final...... the last thing on my mind will be how many people are there!

With you there B&W. Really a "non issue" IMO .....

I think deep down a few successful clubs out of the 5 are getting a bit precious and looking for excuses to have a whinge.

Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:02 am

Southee wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:I can assure you if South make the Grand Final...... the last thing on my mind will be how many people are there!

With you there B&W.  Really a "non issue" IMO .....

I think deep down a few successful clubs out of the 5 are getting a bit precious and looking for excuses to have a whinge.  

nothing to do with that at all, just purely making a statement, hell i hope 20,000+ go to the first two weeks of the finals & 30,000+ to the Preliminary Final & a full house for the grand final.....however regardless of whoever is in it if the first week of the finals draw say 4,000 is that a good look ? i also don't think a night final(s) will help the cause to get crowd numbers up

as for Lees' comment as i said it has nothing to do with getting rid of any team, hell we need them all, well 8 of them anyway
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by William Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:51 pm

Would the first week of the finals have to be a Saturday afternoon double header as there is a legends match on Friday night a women's match on Saturday night and the slowdown on the Sunday all to be broadcast on 7, from a broadcast point of view Saturday afternoon seems the only available time?

From a crowd point of view around 8-10 thousand I think would be a good result if it is a double header at Adelaide oval.

Has it been confirmed that all finals will be played at Adelaide Oval?
William
William

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:11 pm

William wrote:

I believe it has. 7 will want them there from a logistical point of view (not having to have 2 separate broadcasts), plus it rewards the top 5 teams by being able to play at an elite venue.

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:11 pm

William wrote:Would the first week of the finals have to be a Saturday afternoon double header as there is a legends match on Friday night a women's match on Saturday night and the slowdown on the Sunday all to be broadcast on 7, from a broadcast point of view Saturday afternoon seems the only available time?  

From a crowd point of view around 8-10 thousand I think would be a good result if it is a double header at Adelaide oval.

a little birdie tells me that the final(s) may be played with the lights on
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by southern bulldog Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:44 pm

Brucetiki the finals at an elite venue must be at Elizabeth then
southern bulldog
southern bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next