is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?

+20
PhilH
waddayamean
Chambo Off To Work We Go
killer
Big Phil
Southee
Thiele
UncleHuey
mickyj
scott
blueandwhite
goddy11
RODH2
Scrunch
Scrappy
columbo
fishing for bait
Mannyredleg
southern bulldog
William
24 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?  - Page 3 Empty Re: is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?

Post by columbo Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:19 pm

waddayamean wrote:

Why is it that the Eagles fans get so defensive when it comes to crowds. Phil if you think your club has a great supporter base then you are in fairyland.

Don't want to answer for you Phil, but....

Why do we get defensive?.....we are sick of hearing about the crowds year in year out.

The other teams who draw big crowds have just as much opportunity to play in the Finals as Eagles and South this year or West last year.
columbo
columbo

Teams : Eagles, North Melbourne
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?  - Page 3 Empty Re: is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?

Post by bayman Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:45 pm

my initial question was just that, a question, it was not a slur or a disrespecting on ANY TEAM, if i didn't respect these teams why would i (personally) go to neutral games ? it was purely a question, without disrespecting Sturt i truly hope it is a Eagles/South Grand Final (because i've backed both teams to go top) & i also hope there will be a bumper crowd for the entire finals series, however my question remains the same & i'll clarify it, is the finals doomed for low crowds compared to the last 5 years ? (which haven't been great either)
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:16 pm

"And those figures, not home ground figures actually support my point."

How?

Are you really saying South, West & Eagles have 3 smallest supporter bases and the H&A rankings support your point?

Yet Eagles are ranked 5th ahead of Central, North & Port (& South & West).

I have never said Eagles have a "great" (in terms of size) supporter base,
Please show me the post where I have said this.
If you can't, please stop quoting me for something I have not said.

What has been said is the following

"Sorry but when it comes to the crunch not one of those teams (South,  West & Eagles) draw a crowd. That is why the crowds are down ."

It is factually incorrect to say that South, West and the Eagles are the main reason why crowds are down this year.

Whilst South & West have had a small drop it is the much larger decreases for Port, Norwood, Glenelg & Sturt that are the main cause. Refer previous stats provided.

Given the Eagles actually have growth this year in both home crowds and H&A crowds, it defies logic to say they are responsible for the overall decrease.
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:58 am

As an aside , how is revenue designated in finals ?

Assuming AC play CD in the elimination final
Who gets what from the gate ?
How much or what % of $ does AC get ?
How much or what % of $ does CD get ?
How much or what % of $ does the SANFL get ?
Do the other 8 SANFL clubs get any $ from this game ?
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:31 pm

Scrappy wrote:As an aside , how is revenue designated in finals ?

Assuming AC play CD in the elimination final
Who gets what from the gate ?
How much or what % of $ does AC get ?
How much or what % of $ does CD get ?
How much or what % of $ does the SANFL get ?
Do the other 8 SANFL clubs get any $ from this game ?

I would guess the SANFL gets the vast majority of it.

I recall a club official telling me a few years back, that if a club had a deep run in the finals without hoisting the Cup, it actually costs them money. Perhaps Lee could confirm or refute?
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:08 pm

Yes, making the GF without winning would cost money, but not remotely near $100K.

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:14 pm

Speaking of quoting , show where I said they were responsible for low crowds ?

Happy to ...

"Sorry but when it comes to the crunch not one of those teams (South, West & Eagles) draw a crowd. That is why the crowds are down ."
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:29 pm

And yes losing a GF can be a loss making exercise ... it mainly revolves around the post match event. You need to book and plan for a win and a big turnup at the club but if you loose it is not worth it.

There is a lot of expense setting up marquees and entertainment on the oval when if you lose a large clubroom facility would hold everyone.

There is some merchandise expense but it's minimal as only a very small amount is done pre-game (ie caps, tshirts for players)... its mainly the art work you pay for.

In some ways NOT having the GF on the long weekend takes away some of the extremes. A winning celebration is not as big and certainly not as long for most folks if the next day is a working one. Then again it means even less turn up to the losers.

PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:50 pm

Bit of perspective for us Bloods supporters, but back in '83 there was probably, dunno, 5/7,000 people back at Richmond for the Celebrations, last year, less than 1,000 - just a sign of the times...... I blame the AFL and the commercial media for crowd numbers, but that isn't going to change......! Rolling Eyes
RODH2
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:55 am

PhilH wrote:Speaking of quoting , show where I said they were responsible for low crowds ?

Happy to ...

"Sorry but when it comes to the crunch not one of those teams (South,  West & Eagles) draw a crowd. That is why the crowds are down ."

KaBoom!!!
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:09 pm

Pity some are so factually incorrect
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:35 pm

Defense wins premierships, better than being ultra offensive  

I make no apologies for clarifying factually incorrect statements made against my club and promise to keep doing so if they keep arising.

Moving on, thanks for asking for some crowd predictions

Here we go ... For 2016

1 -  the Eagles will have growth in home game attendances

2 -  the Eagles will have growth in home & away attendances

3/4 - For the very first time Eagles will have both a higher home crowd average and a higher home & away crowd average than Port

5/6 - For the 3rd straight season Eagles will have a higher home crowd average than North Adelaide  (2nd straight season higher home and away crowd average than the Roosters).

7 - For the 4th straight season Eagles will have a higher home & away crowd average than Central. (Although Bulldogs should pip us for 4th on Home Crowds after some great growth in 2016, well done Doggies.)

8 - Eagles will finish 5th (possibly 4th) out of 9* clubs for home crowds for
2016. For the mathematically challenged it this means IF you think the Eagles have low home crowds then there are 4 possibly 5 clubs with LOWER home crowds.   This after being ranked 5th in 2015, 5th in 2014, 6th in 2013 & 4th in 2012.
(* I do not include Crows who only have 1-2 home games)

9 - Eagles will finish 5th out of 10 clubs for home & away crowds in 2016. For the mathematically challenged this means that if you think the Eagles have low home and away crowds then there are 5 other SANFL clubs with LOWER crowds.

10 - Crowds at Eagles home & away games in 2016 will be higher than the SANFL average.  

No guarantee all 10 will happen but they are all looking likely.

We will see after August 27.
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:52 pm

Most of that is good news for the Eagles, however i think the 3/4 point is wrong because lets be realistic the Port Magpies' who we all grew up ''loving or hating'' does not exist in the SANFL anymore, the team using the ''port magpies'' name is just an AFL franchise using that jumper for its non first pick players & just like the Crows (every other SANFL team too) basically no one goes & watches their reserves in stand alone matches, well until finals time anyway.....................

PhilH, i presume it is your handy work i saw at Bedford Park today ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi Bayman,

Fair point re Port, to be honest if you are looking for a reason crowds are down this year, there are a number of reasons but #1 for mine is a drop off in support for the Magpies.

What handy work was that at Bedford Park?

PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:25 pm

PhilH wrote:Hi Bayman,

Fair point re Port, to be honest if you are looking for a reason crowds are down this year, there are a number of reasons but #1 for mine is a drop off in support for the Magpies.

What handy work was that at Bedford Park?

the colors used with the replica statue, (for want of a better term) in honour of the Olympics
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:28 pm

No not me ... must check it out next week.
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:31 pm

PhilH wrote:No not me ... must check it out next week.

ok...as soon as i spotted it today, i thought aha that'd be Phils work, an Eagles colored ''Christ The Redeemer'' statue.............as the song went ''it had to be you'' but NO !!!
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:42 am

Here is how my earlier crowd predictions went

Plus all the clubs home and all game crowd figures

1 -  the Eagles will have growth in home game attendances

YES - Up 3.4% on last year against SANFL drop of 5.1%

2 -  the Eagles will have growth in home & away attendances

YES - Up 0.8% on last year  against SANFL drop of 5.1%

3/4 - For the very first time Eagles will have both a higher home crowd average and a higher home & away crowd average than Port

YES - Home Crowds  Eagles 2306pg v Port 2191pg
All Crowds  Eagles 2366pg v Port 2222ph

5/6 - For the 3rd straight season Eagles will have a higher home crowd average than North Adelaide  (2nd straight season higher home and away crowd average than the Roosters).

YES - Home Crowds Eagles 2306pg v North 1922pg
All Crowds Eagles 2366pg v North 2232pg

7 - For the 4th straight season Eagles will have a higher home & away crowd average than Central. (Although Bulldogs should pip us for 4th on Home Crowds after some great growth in 2016, well done Doggies.)

YES - All Crowds Eagles 2366pg Central 2252pg
(& yes Central finished 4th for home crowds 2381pg v Eagles 5th 2306pg)

8 - Eagles will finish 5th (possibly 4th) out of 9* clubs for home crowds for
2016. For the mathematically challenged it this means IF you think the Eagles have low home crowds then there are 4 possibly 5 clubs with LOWER home crowds.   This after being ranked 5th in 2015, 5th in 2014, 6th in 2013 & 4th in 2012.
(* I do not include Crows who only have 1-2 home games)

YES - as above Eagles finished 5th in home crowds

#1 Norwood 2953pg   down 349pg 10.6%
#2 Sturt 2845pg        UP 15pg 0.5%
#3 Glenelg 2766pg     down 440pg -13.7%
#4 Central 2381pg     UP 403pg 20.4%
#5 Eagles 2306pg      UP 76pg 3.4%
#6 Port 2191pg         down 671pg -23.4%
#7 North 1922pg       down 132pg -6.4%
#8 West 1809pg        down 94pg -5.0%
#9 South 1614pg       down 74pg -4.4%

9 - Eagles will finish 5th out of 10 clubs for home & away crowds in 2016. For the mathematically challenged this means that if you think the Eagles have low home and away crowds then there are 5 other SANFL clubs with LOWER crowds.

YES - Eagles finished 5th

#1 Norwood  2649pg    down 588pg  18.2%
#2 Sturt 2654pg          down 158pg  5.6%
#3 Glenelg 2638pg      = same as 2015
#4 Adelaide 2490pg     UP 39pg 1.6%
#5 Eagles 2366pg        UP 19pg 0.8%
#6 Central 2252pg       UP 143pg 6.8%
#7 North 2232pg         UP 131pg 6.2%
#8 Port 2222ph           down 314pg -12.4%
#9 West 1931pg          down 226pg -10.5%
#10 South 2034pg       down 314pg -15.9%

SANFL Average  2314pg    down 127pg 5.2%

10 - Crowds at Eagles home & away games in 2016 will be higher than the SANFL average.  

YES - Eagles 2,347 pg    SANFL  2,314pg
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next