SANFL Crowds - Up or down this year?

+4
Scrappy
Lee
testy
PhilH
8 posters

Go down

SANFL Crowds - Up or down this year? Empty SANFL Crowds - Up or down this year?

Post by PhilH Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:52 am

SANFL Crowds ... are they up or down this year? All the answers in FOOT-e TIMES SANFL CROWD WATCH.

Includes club rankings for home games, all games and away games plus how club home game crowds compare with last year.

http://footetimes.com/sanfl-crowd-watch-where-we-are-at/
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

SANFL Crowds - Up or down this year? Empty Re: SANFL Crowds - Up or down this year?

Post by testy Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:12 pm

Interested to know what others think with this.
I know Westies don't have a big following but five of there six home games to date have been night games and wonder whether this is putting a few supporters off from going. I have heard comments from some that go and they are becoming sick and tired of the number of night games we play at home these days, I also think the same.
testy
testy

My club : west

Back to top Go down

SANFL Crowds - Up or down this year? Empty Re: SANFL Crowds - Up or down this year?

Post by Lee Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:32 pm

I think that's right, testy.

West shifted their next home game against Port from Friday night to Sunday.

I think you'll see fewer night games at City Mazda next year.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:41 am

Yes
I rarely go to Norwood night games anymore
Parking is a pain in the anal
Its usually cold
Call me old fashioned, but I was brought up on watching my team on Saturday afternoons

I do see a reason why SANFL is played at different times
It would be to maximize crowds ?
If all teams played Saturday arvos , everyone gets to one game only
Whereas by spreading the games, there is an opportunity for spectators to see multiple games over a weekend

Bayman sometimes goes to see several games a weekend this way
I used to go with him to neutral games with him
I don't go to neutral games anymore because of the 2 B grade AFL teams in the comp
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:48 am

Keep in mind bayman is an real exception and not the rule.

Other than Big Phil and bayman I don't know of any people who regularly attend SANFL games that their team is not playing in.

It might also be the fact Westies have had an average start to the year, not so much the time they play at. The fact they seem on an upward curve might fix that small issue.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:02 pm

Norwood gets good numbers for night games
Outside the ground is a buzz with eateries and retailers
The attraction for some is to have a grog and or a meal or shop and then attend the footy a hop skip and a jump away

West has it different, outside the ground is Milner Street its basically residential ,there is not way much in the way of entertainment in the precinct
This might be a small reason why night games are not the vogue at Richmond
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by ca Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:14 pm

Personally I think the SANFL should look at a regular Thursday night game. I thought the Port v Norwood kick off to the season worked well and it rated well.

On a Thursday night where there is an AFL game I wouldn't bother but I just think we need to take some ownership of a time slot. I accept they can be difficult to attend.
ca
ca

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:04 pm

I think they are a bit of a worry actually (wearing my glass half empty hat).

Take out the Crows vs Glenelg game where 9,500 attended and the average figure drops to 3,047 per game - the same as last year. The clubs that are up Glenelg, Norwood, Eagles and Sturt. The latter two can be explained by a much better performance this year. The first two boosted by "one off" big games.

Adelaide gets 3,816 per game (including the Glenelg game) but as the average per game last year across the whole comp was 3,041 that is not exactly the 4,000 extra supporters each game we were promised. In fact the 800difference seems closer to the number of Crows supporters who actually do attend.

What is also concerning is that Port's numbers for home games are down 10%. Other supporters won't go to see their team flogged by an AFL reserves club and Port Power supporters seem apathetic towards the Port Adelaide side. So there are the loyal followers of PA and not many other attendees.

From memory last season had a lot of wet days that kept the crowds low. That we are just keeping pace with th worst year and are behind the previous two years is a worry from a longer term trend perspective. From the WAFL experience of putting an AFL reserve team in the competition, numbers lift broefly, then decline and the losses have never returned. Once people "go off" the product they seldom come back again regularly.

If we keep the model we have this year, which includes Adelaide and Port AFL reserves, they have to start getting attendances of 4 to 5 thousand per game or the overall attendances will keep slipping.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:00 pm

if they changed the ''just $14.00 entry fee'' (as on the sanfl & at least Glenelgs site) to $10.00 they would get more people attending, only the other day i got told that in the paper it was stated that 66,000 homes couldn't pay their electricity bill, so with people struggling finacially, football & entertainment in general will take a back seat, hell i went to 4 of the 5 games over the weekend, i had already paid for my Glenelg & had a free ticket for Fridays match, so i paid for the other two & being a single father those 2 games cost me $16.00 if i had to pay $28.00  i would probably still go but if those 4 games were going to cost me $56.00 i would pick 1 game & at best maybe watch tv or listen to the radio for the other game(s), then again i could end up getting out of the habit of going to the footy & give it all up bar Glenelg matches & the way we're going it could be easier than ever to give the bays' up.......................................on Jetty Road at Glenelg there is about 15 empty shops, why because the rents are way too high, i've told one landlord that if the rents were dropped the shops would fill up & he'd end up with more money coming in, i got told ''there is always people thinking of running a business & the shops would fill up soon enough''
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down