is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?

+20
PhilH
waddayamean
Chambo Off To Work We Go
killer
Big Phil
Southee
Thiele
UncleHuey
mickyj
scott
blueandwhite
goddy11
RODH2
Scrunch
Scrappy
columbo
fishing for bait
Mannyredleg
southern bulldog
William
24 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?  - Page 2 Empty Re: is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?

Post by bayman Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:10 pm

waddayamean wrote:
bayman wrote:
William wrote:Would the first week of the finals have to be a Saturday afternoon double header as there is a legends match on Friday night a women's match on Saturday night and the slowdown on the Sunday all to be broadcast on 7, from a broadcast point of view Saturday afternoon seems the only available time?  

From a crowd point of view around 8-10 thousand I think would be a good result if it is a double header at Adelaide oval.

Has it been confirmed that all finals will be played at Adelaide Oval?  

a little birdie tells me that the final(s) may be played with the lights on

They always have been .

i'm meaning a full blown night match
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?  - Page 2 Empty Re: is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?

Post by Southee Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:55 pm

Double header night game finals ?

Reckon you would get a decent crowd for that.
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:59 pm

Southee wrote:Double header night game finals ?

hope so, but lets hope it is warmer than it is now....without knowing times, perhaps it could be a 5pm start followed by a 7.45 pm start, this off course is if ''the little birdie'' is correct
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:33 am

bayman wrote:

hope so, but lets hope it is warmer than it is now....without knowing times, perhaps it could be a 5pm start followed by a 7.45 pm start, this off course is if ''the little birdie'' is correct  

Two years ago the first weekend of the finals was a double header where the second of the two games, South vs Eagles was certainly a night game. I don't remember exactly but the second game started somewhere around 7:10 p.m.
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:36 am

rocket_rooster wrote:
bayman wrote:

Two years ago the first weekend of the finals was a double header where the second of the two games, South vs Eagles was certainly a night game. I don't remember exactly but the second game started somewhere around 7:10 p.m.

According to the attached article the late game was at 7:40 p.m.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/sanfl/sanfl-elimination-finals-live-coverage-norwood-vs-sturt-and-south-adelaide-vs-eagles/news-story/959374e23b6deddaf657aacddf3f86e8
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:41 am

SANFL SCHEDULE CONFIRMED
The SANFL wishes to advise of its schedule for Round 22 and the first week of the IGA League finals series.

All four matches to be played in the last minor round will be at 2.10pm on Saturday August 27.

In the first week of the IGA League finals series, a double-header will be played at Adelaide Oval with the matches to start at 12.10pm and 3.10pm on Saturday September 3.

The second week of the IGA League finals series has been pencilled in for a double-header at Adelaide Oval from 12.10pm and 3.10pm on Sunday September 11.

However, this is subject to change due to Adelaide Oval’s availability, with the fixture to be finalised upon release of the AFL’s finals schedule.

The Preliminary Final and Grand Final have been inked in for Sunday September 18 and Sunday September 25 at the Adelaide Oval.

ROUND 22
Saturday August 27
Central District v West Adelaide (My Money House Oval)
Norwood v Eagles (Coopers Stadium)
South Adelaide v Adelaide (Hickinbotham Oval)
Sturt v Glenelg (Peter Motley Oval)
BYE – North Adelaide and Port Adelaide

FINALS – WEEK 1
Saturday September 3
Elimination Final – 12.10pm
Qualifying Final – 3.10pm

FINALS – WEEK 2
Saturday September 10/Sunday September 11
First Semi-Final – 12.10pm
Second Semi-Final – 3.10pm

FINALS – WEEK 3
Sunday September 18
Preliminary Final – 2.10pm

FINALS – WEEK 4
Sunday September 25
SANFL IGA League Grand Final – 2.40pm

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:05 pm

Thank god the night matches I heard haven't gone ahead, it was something about avoiding a slowdown
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mannyredleg Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:09 pm

I'd like to see the SANFL encourage people to go to the finals and not up the entrance fee just because they are finals. Really what is the point of making it more expensive than during the home and away season?
Its not like there is a dearth of seats available.

Maybe let club members of all SANFL teams in for free during finals as an incentive to become a member each year.
It will cost the SANFL but its the show case part of the season and just as they subsidise Ch 7 to show games they could subsidise the finals series to get more people along.

Very few neutral supporters will go anyway but perhaps more can be enticed to go if it didn't cost them.

My team wont make the finals this year but there is a chance I would go with some mates if the incentive was there.
Mannyredleg
Mannyredleg

Teams : Norwood
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:10 pm

$14.00 for the home & away season is way too high, the finals on the other hand & bear in mind the first two weeks is a double header & it has been $15.00, presuming it is the same this year it'll be $15.00 for the first three weeks, with the double header for those first two weeks as stated, so actually you see two finals for $15.00 & one home & away match for $14.00 ...so looking at it that way the finals are very good value
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by fishing for bait Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:14 pm

The SANFL have to buy some time on Adelaide radio stations and a couple of pages in the morning papers around the state. Leading up to the finals. PROMOTE the game for goodness sakes. How do successful businesses run at maximum profits and sales, that's a pretty simple answer in itself, they advertise and promote themselves, they get out and put their product out in the faces of the people they want to sell to and they sell a damn good product.

Can I mention Harvey Norman and Bunnings just to name a couple.

Wake up SANFL and work for your money.(and crowds)
fishing for bait
fishing for bait

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:26 am

The League do promote the finals through commercial radio stations, like 5AA and TripleM...

They also advertise their finals in the Advertiser, on the back of buses etc etc...

Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:48 am

I've been estimating crowds at City Mazda Stadium for decades and generally get pretty close.

The SANFL have a new electronic ticketing system this year.

My theory is that it's more accurate and I suspect previous crowd numbers were, shall we say, a tad over the odds Wink

Yesterday's crowd was 1700, my estimate was about 2,000 based on many previous years.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:41 am

The question "is the sanfl finals series doomed for low crowds?" is quite subjective. Will the crowds be in keeping with attendances of 10,20 or 30 years ago? Of course not. Will crowds be in line with attendance figures throughout the season? More than likely.

Doesn't matter which 5 clubs make the finals anymore, crowds will rarely be significantly above what's expected.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by columbo Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:27 pm

waddayamean wrote:You honestly believe that ? Of course it matters who plays .

Better get Port and Norwood or Sturt to play the state game next year too, crowd for that wasn't flash this year either.

There is one thing I haven't seen raised as a possible reason for lower crowds and whilst it may seem a bit out there I assume it would be info that may in some way become available after the results of the census are made available. with an ageing population who had grown up with the SANFuL have they now reached an age where they have passed away or their health no longer allows them to attend games? Couple this with the focus of the last 25 years being AFL and the growth of sports like soccer in some pockets of Adelaide especially areas with a multicultural population, suddenly the demographics have changed and despite an increased population there are a lot of other activities for families and more importantly young people to keep them busy.

columbo
columbo

Teams : Eagles, North Melbourne
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:24 am

Is it reading or understanding that you have trouble with?
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:32 pm

columbo wrote:

Better get Port and Norwood or Sturt to play the state game next year too, crowd for that wasn't flash this year either.

There is one thing I haven't seen raised as a possible reason for lower crowds and whilst it may seem a bit out there I assume it would be info that may in some way become available after the results of the census are made available. with an ageing population who had grown up with the SANFuL have they now reached an age where they have passed away or their health no longer allows them to attend games? Couple this with the focus of the last 25 years being AFL and the growth of sports like soccer in some pockets of Adelaide especially areas with a multicultural population, suddenly the demographics have changed and despite an increased population there are a lot of other activities for families and more importantly young people to keep them busy.

I agree. I think that is a big reason attendances are falling. A combination of age, health, cost and weather would all cause many long term supporters to attend less games or no games at all. Previously there were always lots of kids who wanted to play for their local SANFL club so it wasn't as significant but as you say, there are now so many other alternatives the kids and young families aren't attending like they used to.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:44 pm

Funny how some didn't discuss low crowds at all last weekend despite them being the lowest round of the season so far, the best game not even reaching 1,900 (1897 @ Elizabeth). All games played in great weather.

Then again Eagles had the bye so it doesn't fit their argument that WWT are one of 3 clubs (along with South & West) who are responsible for crowds being down this year ... despite the facts proving quite different.

-------------------------

But back to Bayman's question

What's a low crowd?

Compared with last year I expect a small drop but not huge
Assuming five is set

- Eagles and Central return

- Adelaide replaces Port (given how Magpies fans have fallen away this year it may mean a small drop but not huge. Crows have actually had more to their games then Port this year)

- South replaces West (like for like for the most part)

- Sturt replaces Norwood (again like for like)

Based on attendances at games this year (Home & Away, so far) here are the rankings.

Teams in bold are in finals

1st - Norwood 2709pg
2nd - Glenelg 2686pg
3rd - Sturt 2656pg **
4th - Adelaide 2605 pg **
5th - Eagles 2410pg **
6th - Central 2273pg **

7th - North 2238pg
8th - Port 2191pg
9th- West  1908pg
10th - South 1734pg ***

The wildcard will be how many Crows fans come along, especially in the first week when there is no AFL.

If you base numbers on expectations of five years ago they yes they will be low, very low.
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:50 pm

borrowed from the snoutslouts forum.............great idea, in fact the first great idea that the sanfl has come up with in years (imho)

SANFL MEMBER APPRECIATION GAMES

By ZAC MILBANK | Twitter @zacmilbank

The most loyal SANFL members are set to have their dedication rewarded at their club’s last home match for season 2016.

SANFL club members will have the chance to claim a complimentary pass to their favourite team’s final home outing before the major round.

Those who have attended all of their favourite team’s matches at home will also receive two tickets to the SANFL Finals series – including the SANFL IGA League Grand Final – as well as an official certificate from their club and the SANFL.

SANFL Members who attend their club’s last home game will also be placed into a draw to win a Commonwealth Bank RoofClimb experience at this year’s SANFL IGA League Grand Final at Adelaide Oval.

And those from the competing clubs at the SANFL IGA League Grand Final, who have attended all of their team’s home matches, will also be entered into a competition to toss the coin at the 2016 title-decider.

The first SANFL Member Appreciation games kick off on Saturday in Round 20, with Glenelg hosting Port Adelaide and North Adelaide locking horns with South Adelaide.

For more information on what your club is doing for its SANFL Member Appreciation Game, log on to their website.

2016 SANFL MEMBER APPRECIATION GAMES

Round 20
Glenelg v Port Adelaide (Gliderol Stadium)
North Adelaide v South Adelaide (Prospect Oval)

Round 21
West Adelaide v Adelaide (Berri Oval)
Eagles v Glenelg (Maughan Thiem Hyundai Oval)
Port Adelaide v Norwood (Alberton Oval)

Round 22
Central District v West Adelaide (My Money House Oval)
South Adelaide v Adelaide (Hickinbotham Oval)
Sturt v Glenelg (Peter Motley Oval)
Norwood v Eagles (Coopers Stadium)
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next