UncleHuey
Paul
Admin
mickyj
br
33 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2015 SANFL Grand Final WWT vs West Adelaide - Page 2 Empty Re: 2015 SANFL Grand Final WWT vs West Adelaide

Post by BloodnTars Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:57 pm

Feel for Bomber. Great bloke

AGLES
Woodville-West Torrens ruckman Marc Borholm is a shock omission with injury ahead of Sunday’s SANFL IGA League Grand Final against West Adelaide at Adelaide Oval.
The former Bloods bigman will cruelly miss the most important match of the year after being diagnosed with a fractured tibia in his leg.
Borholm suffered the injury during the first term of the Second Semi-Final and despite playing the entire match, was only able to train at ‘’30-40 per cent’’ on Wednesday night.
‘’The fact he was able to play the whole Second Semi-Final showed how courageous he is,’’ Eagles coach Michael Godden said.
‘’He tried to train on Wednesday night but was just not able to go to the standard required for a Grand Final.
‘’We’re all really devastated for him as he’s fought so hard for his spot in the team. His absence will present a challenge for the whole group.’’
Former Essendon rookie Fraser Thurlow has replaced Borholm in the centre square while Tom Whittlesea – the Eagles’ best in the Reserves Second Semi-Final – could also play to lend a hand in the ruck.
Reserves Magarey Medallist Matt Appleton, Joe Sinor and Giles Ellis have also been included in the 23-man squad to replace knee victims Angus Rowntree and Angus Poole.
Premiership midfielder Scott Lewis will play his 150th SANFL match after making his debut with West Adelaide as a teenager in 2005.

F: N. Hayes, Wundke, McGregor
HF: Schwarz, Ainger, Allmond
C: C. Hall, Lewis, Martyn
HB: Goldsworthy, Thompson, Jarrad
B: P. Raymond, Von Bertouch, Giuffreda

R: Thurlow, Petrenko, Boyd
INT: Whittlesea, Batley, Appleton, Ellis, Sinor

IN: Thurlow, Whittlesea, Appleton, Sinor, Ellis
OUT: Rowntree (knee), Poole (knee), Borholm (leg)

WEST
West Adelaide is set to be boosted by the return of star pair Adam Hartlett and Taite Silverlock for Sunday’s SANFL IGA League Grand Final at the Adelaide Oval.
Both struck down by soft tissue injuries during the major round, Hartlett and Silverlock proved their fitness at training on Wednesday night.
Hartlett, named at centre-half back, injured his quad in the first term of the Second Semi-Final while Silverlock strained his hamstring in the second half of the Qualifying Final.
‘’Adam came up really well at training and is ready to go,’’ West football manager Andrew Marks said.
‘’Taite got through the whole session and they have both been given the all-clear from our physio which is positive.’’
Defender Logan Hill and goalsneak Aaron Fielke have also been included after missing the Preliminary Final due to having concussion from separate incidents in the Second Semi-Final.
‘’They have been checked throughout the week and last night (Wednesday) and are all OK to play,’’ Marks said.
McDonald’s SA Under-18 players Jack Agostino and Jadyn Brind – who made his League debut in the Preliminary Final – are the unlucky players to miss out at this stage, with two more to be trimmed before the bounce.
‘’It’s very difficult for them to miss out,’’ Marks said.
‘’They certainly didn’t do anything wrong last week, we’ve just opted to select the experienced players who have done the job all season.’’
Key forward Daniel Webb, originally from Flagstaff Hill, will play his 100th SANFL match in the Grand Final after making his debut for the Bloods in 2009.

F: Haysman, Webb, Fielke
HF: Green, Tuck, Beech
C: Hill, Stevens, Schiller
HB: Porplyzia, Hartlett, Wasley-Black
B: Caire, Keough, Helbig

R: Willits, Schmidt, Snelling
INT: Anderson, Milne, Homburg, Middleton, Silverlock

IN: Hartlett, Hill, Fielke, Silverlock
OUT: Agostino, Brind
BloodnTars
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross
My club : west

Back to top Go down

2015 SANFL Grand Final WWT vs West Adelaide - Page 2 Empty Re: 2015 SANFL Grand Final WWT vs West Adelaide

Post by Big Phil Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Knowing Marc Borholm reasonably well, I am devastated for the big man Sad
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:39 pm

Yes, Marc's a terrific bloke, I also feel for him.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:21 pm

Never liked West after they left me in tears when I was a 12 year old boy leaving Footy Park after the 83 Grand Final. I'm nearly over that.

Eagles to win but just hope it's a cracking high standard game.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IAmTheWarrior Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:10 pm

Three huge outs will make it hard for both grades this weekend. Will be hoping the Eags can make it in both games but not confident at all.
IAmTheWarrior
IAmTheWarrior

Teams : Woodville (now WWT), Crows, Strathfieldsaye Storm and Sunshine Kangaroos
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:29 pm

Good luck to Andrew Collins and Williamstown in their GF this week.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:03 am

Chris Kendall's preview, from the SANFL website and Sportsbeat:

2015 SANFL GRAND FINAL PREVIEW

Woodville/West Torrens v West Adelaide (Adelaide Oval) – Sunday 2.10pm

HEAD TO HEAD: W/WT 42, WA 25. Drawn 1
LAST THREE ENCOUNTERS:
2015 2nd SF: W/WT 11.13 (79) d WA 9.11 (65)
2015 Rnd 12: W/WT 14.4 (88) d WA 10.13 (73)
2015 Rnd 2: WA 15.5 (95) d W/WT 14.5 (89)

The decider for 2015, with the western suburbs set to rock, regardless of who takes out the big one. West Adelaide booked their place after dispatching Central District by 53 points in the preliminary final, with the Bulldogs appearing to finally hit the wall after a long two months of virtual sudden death games. The season would have to be termed a strong success at Elizabeth, however, given there was minimal recruiting and a very slow start to proceedings, before a barnstorming run to the finals that revived the emotion of Woodville in 1986. Some careful recruiting over summer and the continued growth of a number of younger players who seized their opportunity should give Central a springboard and plenty of motivation to remain in September contention in 2016.

The Eagles have been the benchmark all season and the benefit of a week off should keep them mentally fresh, which can be more vital than physical freshness at the end of a long season. Their style of football, while clearly effective, can be mentally taxing after long periods and the chance to have a short break can be just the tonic at this time of year. West Adelaide should have some key personnel in the mix for selection after missing last week, including Taite Silverlock, Aaron Fielke, Logan Hill and Adam Hartlett, which will make for some very tough decisions this week for coach Mark Mickan. The loss of youngster Jack Agostino after a quad injury eases the pressure a little, and while he would be extremely unlucky to be dropped after kicking two goals in his SANFL debut last week, Jaydn Brind may be another who will miss. The third and fourth choices will give plenty of headaches all week and narrowing them down will be a much harder task than that faced by the Eagles, who need to replace the season ending knee injuries to Angus Rowntree and Angus Poole. The logical choices there would look to be Matthew Appleton and Joe Sinor, but coach Michael Godden has swung surprises during the year and it can’t be ruled out again here.
Hartlett’s return to defence will ease the load on Tom Keogh, who should get first look at Eagle spearhead Michael Wundke, giving Hartlett the role on Andrew Ainger further up the ground. Mickan will have noted that Godden started James Boyd deep in attack in the second semi final between these clubs and he was able to get right off the leash early to providing a speedy crumbing option. Errin Wasley-Black or Hill may get the first crack there, with the former looking a slightly better option in terms of pace. Mickan may face a tough choice in defence, as to whether he can keep both Riley Milne and Brad Helbig there, given the return of Hartlett, particularly given that may leave them one too many taller options down back.

The Eagles will miss Rowntree’s grunt and clearance work around the middle, so if Appleton does come in, he may need to prepare to take a defensive role on Bloods ball magnet Chris Schmidt, who worked his way into the contest last week with class. The role on Kaine Stevens will be one for Godden to consider at length, as he broke clear repeatedly last week en route to 33 damaging possessions and if allowed space, can create havoc through the middle. Sam Martyn may have an opportunity there, as his ability to break the lines may push Stevens into a less offensive role and reduce his influence on the contest.

Fielke and Shannon Green have been vital cogs in the Bloods attack all season, but if Godden elects to start Matthew Goldsworthy on either – Fielke looks the best option – then it will ensure a real battle of class and ability to turn a game in a 15 minute burst. Travis Tuck has started a number of games deep in attack for West this season, and a possible battle with Phil Raymond would also be a real battle for the purists, with Raymond’s smooth movement in traffic a key factor to the Eagles rebounding from defence. Eagle skipper Luke Thompson should get Daniel Webb as his initial opponent, with the former making up for a slight height disadvantage with spring and the ability to hit the ground running in a contest.

The ruck duel will be crucial, with Ryan Willits squaring off against Eagle Fraser Thurlow in a tussle that holds plenty of intrigue. While Willits can push forward and prove very damaging, Thurlow can be menacing at times in attack, and dragging him away from the forward 50 will also increase the chance of Willits making a point of difference in a smaller Bloods attack. It would be very unwise, however, to leave Thurlow around midfield unattended, as he can be a key component of cutting off errant attacks and dishing off quickly to his running brigade.

Most Grand Finals are very hard to tip on paper, and this is no exception. There is no question the Eagles have been the dominant team all season and have proven their ability to dictate the terms of a contest if allowed the early opportunity to do so. The opening 15 minutes here may prove the most vital period of the match, particularly given that West are one of the slowest starting teams, but one of the best final quarter teams. If a pure shootout transpires, it’s worth noting that West average around two goals a game more than the Eagles, but the Eagles field the most miserly defence. Michael Godden’s men have been the best team virtually all season and most key factors ought to point to them in this one, yet there is something about West that can be very attractive in full flight and when they get that hard running, high scoring game going, it can be very hard to stop their momentum. It may go against most tipsters, but I’m going to back the Bloods to break the second longest premiership drought in the SANFL and have Milner Road rocking come Sunday night.

TV: 7Mate
Radio: Life FM 107.9, ABC891, 5AA, Triple M

Tip: West Adelaide 13-24
Jack Oatey Medallist: Kaine Stevens (West Adelaide)
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:33 am

Will a West Adelaide forward tag a Woodville West Torrens defender ?
Luke Jarrad
Most times I see Luke he usually stars
Sets up a lot of rebound from defence and often is the go to man
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:45 am

Feel like Im in the minority here, but for a GF not involving my club I can't recall looking forward to the game as much as this one.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:04 am

Scrunch wrote:Feel like Im in the minority here, but for a GF not involving my club I can't recall looking forward to the game as much as this one.

Nah I'm the same. Possibly due to no Port, Norwood or Central.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:18 pm

Should be a great game, looking forward to it. Some significant outs for the Eagles while Westies get some good ins. I think the Bloods will win a close one by 8 points
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:58 pm

Scrunch wrote:Feel like Im in the minority here, but for a GF not involving my club I can't recall looking forward to the game as much as this one.

Agreed. Given they've played 3 cracking matches this season already, has me thinking this is going to be a cracker of a game.

Mind you, Centrals and the Eagles had 4 close matches in 2004 leading to the Grand Final...

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:01 pm

Nup, quite looking forward to this. Mind you, getting a free seat in the SANFL Chairmans Luncheon doesn't hurt.... Laughing

Eagles missing 3 of their 4 starters in the engine room. Might be too much to cover, coupled with the Bloods important "ins".

The Blood'n'Tars to end the 32 year drought, by 46 points. ( Hey, why not predict a boil over? Everyone else thinks it will be close )
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:05 pm

My head says the Eagles by 16 points

My heart says West Adelaide by 22 points

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:28 pm

i think Webb & Willets will wear down Thurlow & give their on ballers first opportunity especially after half time, i would imagine that Thurlow will be given a 'bumpy ride' at every chance the West players get, you win the centre & you win the match in most games & this is why West will win & their superior fitness will be crucial as well, if the Eagles win Thurlow will win the Jack Oatey
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:52 pm

I felt more confident heading into the 2011 GF than this one.  In fact this has the same feel to it with the comfortable minor premier losing key players coming into the one that counts.  Centrals' lack of height in that match saw Parry win the Jack Oatey and it may come down to either one of the West engine room players winning it this time or Willits or Webb.

All three meetings have gone the same way this year.  West had a deficit at three quarter time and the first time overcame it; second were too far behind and missed opportunities in the third to get over the line.

Eagles last six finals meetings have lost every last quarter except one - the 2012 EF.  2.6 to North 1.1 and lost by 7 points.  It may come down to that again, but then again West may already be ahead anyway.

One stat which might surprise is that the 15.8 (98) scored by West last week was the highest finals score by them since the 1991 Preliminary (18.16).

I just can't see a better time for West to end a long premiership drought and it would be fitting in the Eagles 25th season to come 2nd in all grades (after all, it's what we are known for, in more areas than just that)
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:20 am

Good luck to the eagles supporters hope its a good game and the Bloods come up on top. #daretodreambloods #32longyears
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:41 pm

Congratulations Westies, have taken more than their share of off-field blows in recent years, and been close but not quite onfield. Supporters have been supremely patient and loyal, and the club appears to have worked extremely hard. Well done and enjoy!!
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by IAmTheWarrior Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:24 pm

Well Westies were too good all day going by the scores and stats I saw through the day. Another disappointing end for one of my teams but considering just how long it's been between drinks for bloods supporters no one could begrudge that win. I was glad to see the reserves finish their season undefeated- it's a great effort in any grade.

How long until next season?
IAmTheWarrior
IAmTheWarrior

Teams : Woodville (now WWT), Crows, Strathfieldsaye Storm and Sunshine Kangaroos
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:08 pm

Congratulations to the Bloods fans. I can honestly say I am really happy for you. Long awaited by many very patient people and it is richly deserved.

Enjoy your night and the summer ahead!
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:10 pm

Westies' took the game on from the outset, made mistakes along the way but it paid huge dividends, they were too quick for the undermanned Eagles & while i don't think they were ever going to lose i think after the Eagles had the ball in their forward 50 for about the first 14 minutes of the last term & managed just one point, then straight up the other end, Beech calmly kicks a goal from an angle & that was the final nail in the coffin of a brave Eagles
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:35 pm

Strange game
I thought WA could win because of their skill level
Thought their skill level was below par for them
What was impressive however was the forward pressure and their defence today
Bayman spot on took the game on but did make boo boos

Booney spot on there are a lot of WA faithful that have waited a long time for this flag
Congrats to Mark Mickan , First Blood, Blacky, Thiele , Lee and other WA barrackers
Special mention for Flag No 9 , who must now change his user name
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:57 pm

on the Jack Oatey medal while Schmidt played very well i thought Porplyzia was a stand out over the full four quarters
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by ca Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:19 pm

Congratulations West, far to good today. Not sure what happened to the Eagles they just didn't fire a shot.
ca
ca

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:21 pm

bayman wrote:on the Jack Oatey medal while Schmidt played very well i thought Porplyzia was a stand out over the full four quarters

Agree 100% ..I thought Schmidt was very good but Porplyzia was brilliant, his skills were magnificent, never wasted a posession and read the ball so well. not sure why Godden let him run around like an unregistered dog. I guess he had Jarrard doing the same thing but I thought he didnt use the ball anywhere near as well as Porps.
On a personal note, a selfish one at that..I was very glad to see West win...for 3 reasons...... Rolling Eyes
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next