AFL Reserves - they haven't thought it through.

+44
brodlach
mickyj
zipzap
Mods
blueandwhite
AdelaideFC
Aerie
C.K
The Hatchet
Southee
Bosstralian
UncleHuey
Brucetiki
BirdofPrey
JUICEBOXMAN
eartotheground
CB10
Scrappy
testy
Carman09
The Emperor
the prowler
Big Phil
ecky
Admin
Ben W
howthewestwaswon
Gingernuts
Scrunch
Go Legs
Thiele
PhilH
spell_check
mark beswick
bayman
bigclock
firstblood
oldfella
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Booney
countrycousin
Flag No.10
waddayamean
Lee
48 posters

Page 2 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next

Go down

AFL Reserves - they haven't thought it through. - Page 2 Empty Re: AFL Reserves - they haven't thought it through.

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:40 am

Amazing how 6 months ago nobody wanted the afl clubs anywhere near the sanfl competition - John Olsen included.

Now when the wallets come out, everyone is prepared to listen.
This will be the hysteria - a fight for the cash.
You watch it will be just like the WAFL. Rolling EyesRolling Eyes
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

AFL Reserves - they haven't thought it through. - Page 2 Empty Re: AFL Reserves - they haven't thought it through.

Post by Thiele Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:12 am

There is a talk of protest at the next foxtel cup game on July 16th
Thiele
Thiele

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:57 am

So, are you that angry, that if your club President votes "Yes", that you will vote against him at the next AGM ???

Just for the record, We have Norwood, North Adelaide with a definite No to the AFL in the SANFL League, what other clubs do you think will vote No, and whom do you think will vote Yes..

Thus far from comments read on this forum only

No:
North Adelaide, Norwood

Yes:
Eagles, Sturt, possibly South Adelaide
Go Legs
Go Legs

My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:57 am

The League Director is not necessarily the President, but whoever attends the meeting and casts the vote on behalf of their club, he/she is (or should be) representing the views of the board of that club.  Therefore if he/she votes yes to allowing entry to our League competition, I would want those board members of my club who voted for it removed at the next AGM, but that would only be possible if there were sufficient candidates standing, and they were of reasonable quality. This decision could really damage the fabric of some clubs.

I'd like more clubs to come out objecting in principle to entry at league level. Short of that, I think clubs should be conducting some online polls of their membership to determine the mood of their members, because it's a unique and watershed moment for the comp.
(I think Centrals are a possible 'yes'.)
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:58 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:The League Director is not necessarily the President, but whoever attends the meeting and casts the vote on behalf of their club, he/she is (or should be) representing the views of the board of that club.  Therefore if he/she votes yes to allowing entry to our League competition, I would want those board members of my club who voted for it removed at the next AGM, but that would only be possible if there were sufficient candidates standing, and they were of reasonable quality. This decision could really damage the fabric of some clubs.

I'd like more clubs to come out objecting in principle to entry at league level. Short of that, I think clubs should be conducting some online polls of their membership to determine the mood of their members, because it's a unique and watershed moment for the comp.
(I think Centrals are a possible 'yes'.)

Absolutely!
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Amazing how 6 months ago nobody wanted the afl clubs anywhere near the sanfl competition - John Olsen included.

Now when the wallets come out, everyone is prepared to listen.
This will be the hysteria - a fight for the cash.
You watch it will be just like the WAFL. Rolling EyesRolling Eyes

You're right of course and I've been saying for some time now, that we'll end up with some variation of the WAFL model, whatever we say or do. One thing that particularly disturbs me is the fact that only weeks ago, we were being told by SANFL management that the matter of reserves teams wouldn't be dealt with until the license issue was resolved. Now here it is, first cab off the rank. Having been lied to about that, what else can we believe from them? Sadly not much, I have to say. It has all the appearances of a done and dusted deal, that's getting a token run past the clubs to make it look like we've been consulted. Evil or Very Mad
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:24 pm

Ive often wondered how Max Basheer would feel about the state of the SANFL these days. Fought like a Lion to protect it and left it in good shape. Dont believe the same can be said of the era since he left.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:41 pm

countrycousin wrote:
You're right of course and I've been saying for some time now, that we'll end up with some variation of the WAFL model, whatever we say or do. One thing that particularly disturbs me is the fact that only weeks ago, we were being told by SANFL management that the matter of reserves teams wouldn't be dealt with until the license issue was resolved. Now here it is, first cab off the rank. Having been lied to about that, what else can we believe from them? Sadly not much, I have to say. It has all the appearances of a done and dusted deal, that's getting a token run past the clubs to make it look like we've been consulted. Evil or Very Mad

It can't be a 'done and dusted deal' because the clubs have to vote for it.
As for the license issue, maybe that's most of the way down the track to being resolved.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:38 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:
countrycousin wrote:

It can't be a 'done and dusted deal' because the clubs have to vote for it.
As for the license issue, maybe that's most of the way down the track to being resolved.

Perhaps I should explain my reasons for making that statement. Yes the clubs have the legal right to reject the proposal. But then what? The fact that the SANFL has reversed its position on dealing with the licenses first, then the reserves later, says to me (In fact it screams at me) that the AFL won't accept that and have made the resolution of the reserves question, to their satisfaction, a precondition of continuing with the license negotiations. So if we reject the reserves, do you believe they'll accept that? I'm afraid I don't. They'll start piling on the financial pressure to force us to change our decision. They can and will use every resource they have to win this, I've no doubt. That's the nature of the people we're dealing with. They get what they want at any cost. If it means crippling the SANFL financially they will. Can we fight them on their terms and win? No we can't. Am I being paranoid and over dramatic? Possibly, but I don't think so. I'd love to be proven wrong, my position in this is not something I enjoy. But I've been in and/or witnessed, a lot of tough business fights over money in a long lifetime and they almost always end in a win for the big guy with the most money to throw at it. Sorry, but one way or another, we'll end up compromising on the best terms we can get.
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:51 pm

waddayamean wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/powers-push-for-sanfl-reserves-spells-the-end-of-the-magpies/story-e6frea83-1226667132124

And so it begins.
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:39 pm

Sorry to push this, I'm not trying to be a smart alec, that's not my style, as those who know me will attest (I hope Wink ) But here's how we're viewed in Melbourne. How many league club directors can we find in that list. Just 1 by my count.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/the-most-powerful-men-in-sa-football/story-fnig5e6k-1226667107887
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:23 am

Below is a letter sent to West Adelaide members by Kym Russell, as seen on the website.

LETTER TO MEMBERS: AFL RESERVES
21/06/2013 9:56:38 AM

As you would be aware, the SANFL and the League Clubs are currently in discussions around the possible inclusion of AFL ‘reserves’ teams from the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs within the SANFL.

The potential transfer of the AFL Licences in the near future has been the catalyst for all parties to take this important opportunity to review our competition.

Although the negotiations are, by necessity, happening on a confidential basis, there is some information we believe it is important that you know.

The League Directors – including Paul Sperling have been working with the SANFL to arrive at four guiding principles which form the basis for all negotiations around this issue.

These guiding principles have been agreed to by all clubs and the SANFL as non-negotiable elements and can be summarised as:

1. Integrity: Any change in competition structure must maintain or enhance the integrity of the SANFL competition;
  2. Relevance: Any change in competition structure must maintain or enhance the relevance of the SANFL competition as the best State League in Australia;
  3. SANFL & SANFL Club Viability: Any change to the competition structure must improve the long term strength and sustainability of the SANFL and SANFL Clubs; and
  4. Game Development: Any change to the competition structure must enhance the development of the game at all levels across South Australia.

As you can see from the above, the SANFL and the SANFL clubs are steadfast in our resolve that the SANFL competition must be protected, it must remain relevant, it must be viable and that game development through the SANFL competition must continue to be of the utmost importance.

This is a complex issue. There are many positives and negatives to adding additional teams to our competition, and each of these is being carefully analysed and discussed.

Once negotiations have reached their conclusion, the SA Football Commission will make a recommendation for the SANFL League Directors to consider. Nothing can happen without the authority of the League Directors.

I would like to underline that the West Adelaide Football Club in consultation with the SANFL and the other clubs will make the decision that is in the best interests of our club, our members, our league and the South Australian football community.

Kym Russell
Chief Executive Officer
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:54 am

Now this is a good thing. Well done to West. I hope all the other clubs put out something similar to their members very soon.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Very Similar ...    Eagles members received a release that was word for word the same (Substitute Eagles details for West)
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:16 pm

countrycousin wrote:

Perhaps I should explain my reasons for making that statement. Yes the clubs have the legal right to reject the proposal. But then what? The fact that the SANFL has reversed its position on dealing with the licenses first, then the reserves later, says to me (In fact it screams at me) that the AFL won't accept that and have made the resolution of the reserves question, to their satisfaction, a precondition of continuing with the license negotiations. So if we reject the reserves, do you believe they'll accept that? I'm afraid I don't. They'll start piling on the financial pressure to force us to change our decision. They can and will use every resource they have to win this, I've no doubt.

There's a bit of jumping at shadows about the AFL's role in this I think. My understanding is that their position is it's an issue for SA football to resolve. And why would the AFL be so intent on this happening anyway? They don't have any real interest in this, it doesn't make sense. They have far more pressing matters to worry about.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:41 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Now this is a good thing. Well done to West. I hope all the other clubs put out something similar to their members very soon.

Bar the Magpies, they will all read word for word.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:00 pm

There's a bit of jumping at shadows about the AFL's role in this I think. My understanding is that their position is it's an issue for SA football to resolve. And why would the AFL be so intent on this happening anyway? They don't have any real interest in this, it doesn't make sense. They have far more pressing matters to worry about.

Good point, F9, but it won't stop the conspiracy theorists.

(Having thrown oil onto the fire, I shall depart)Very Happy:D
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Booney - How do you feel about the word going around that this could spell the end for the Maggies?
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:15 pm

Not good at all, Ginge. Not good at all.

I'm waiting on something firm to come out before I allow any emotions come to the surface. For now, I'm just another interested on looker.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:29 pm

You don't feel like they'd live on through the Power?

I do wonder whether in retrospect it would've been better to rip that bandaid off in 1997.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:30 pm

The two positions taken by the AFL clubs (if we can believe Rucci) suggest that they are the biggest stumbling blocks in all this. If Port are saying they cannot give up the Magpies, and Adelaide are saying they aren't interested in setting up a club structure to equate to Port's situation, and there's no deal unless each party is on equal footing, then it's hard to see how there can be a deal. Someone will have to shift their position.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:33 pm

I strongly suspect the Power don't give two hoots about the Maggies surviving.

They just don't want to be seen as the destroyers.

Booney, I've loathed Port for decades (justifiably), but totally sympathise with your position as a supporter.

These things evolve and whatever happens, there'll be a Port Adelaide in the SANFL.  Not sure if that helps or hurts you.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next