Southee
Scrunch
eartotheground
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Reserves Story Empty Reserves Story

Post by Lee Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:08 pm

I read a report today that the League directors were going to discuss whether to scrub the Reserves teams to save money.

Just a personal guess, I'd be amazed if that happened.

Sounds like a beat up.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Reserves Story Empty Re: Reserves Story

Post by eartotheground Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:15 pm

The story does have a degree of truth to it.
eartotheground
eartotheground

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:20 pm

i've heard in the past & have alluded to it on a couple of posts & that is informal discussions have taken place about cutting out the wings (like the VFA did in the old days) in order to save money with at the same time not changing the game as such............that would be 4 spots saved
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:24 pm

Not defending them wouldn't port Adelaide scream blue murder if they did .
Sounds like the ex liberal leader getting involved in something he shouldn't
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:37 pm

eartotheground wrote:The story does have a degree of truth to it.

It may be discussed, but can't see it going far.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:29 am

Dittmar ( the absolute peanut he is ) said something along the lines of :

"If you're playing reserves footy aren't you kidding yourself and wasting your time anyway?"

What a peanut that bloke is. Clueless.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:04 am

That statement is probably true for some, but not most.

Reserves football has changed over recent years and is now dominated by younger players trying to make league football.

It's only the outstanding juniors who go straight from 18's to league qwithout playing reserves.

Most clubs also have one or two players who aren't likely to play league, but are valuable help for the younger players.

So a 'normal' reserves side is probably close to, or a variation of, this:

2 senior players who don't play league.
2 or 3 league players coming back from injury, etc
2 or 3 solid league players who aren;t selected
8 or 10 19-21 years old trying to establish themselves to play league, or who are 'fringe' league players.
Balance are 18 years old and very promising.
1 or 2 rucks from wherever you can get them Very Happy

I strongly disagree about the standard of SANFL footy as well. I think it's a high standard and it's hard to get a kick. I have rose coloured glasses about past eras like most of us, but amongst the star players of the past, there were a lot of very ordinary footballers as well.

The current standard is very good, IMO.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:06 am

Lee wrote:
eartotheground wrote:The story does have a degree of truth to it.

It may be discussed, but can't see it going far.

Thats the feedback I received from a club official this morning also. Said it wouldn't save THAT much money anyway, and he/she is pretty sure the clubs won't go for it.

*Bear in mind I'll have clubs and grades wrong here, but you'll get my point* .. Imagine if a zoned player, with legitimate League claims, drops back to his SAAFL club in lieu of reserves, but his SAAFL club is in Div 6. How are you going to compare player performances when they're playing at such a lesser level of footy (with all due respect to the Ammo clubs), under different instructions and gameplan etc?

Unless the League clubs all setup their own SAAFL clubs (or align with an existing one) at which point in time we'd be responsible for stuffing the SAAFL around in the same manner as the SANFL was with the inclusion of the AFL clubs.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:02 pm

Booney wrote:Dittmar ( the absolute peanut he is ) said something along the lines of :

"If you're playing reserves footy aren't you kidding yourself and wasting your time anyway?"

he's one of your mob Mr Booney & broke down when training at the Bay Oval Shocked Shocked in the 1980's & Jahangir Khan thinks the same
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:33 pm

bayman wrote:
Booney wrote:Dittmar ( the absolute peanut he is ) said something along the lines of :

he's one of your mob Mr Booney & broke down when training at the Bay Oval Shocked Shocked in the 1980's  & Jahangir Khan thinks the same

Wasn't he on 5AA at one stage and left or sacked
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:12 pm

Probably from his own personal experience there !

Didn't he have a kick in the ressies at Port ??
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:51 pm

I guess I can see their point, the elephant in the room is the fact that most SANFL clubs are running at a loss and Glenelg's position in general has been discussed at length in the media. Clearly something has to be done about it and I would suggest that it is probably likely that this one of several suggestions that may be in play at the present moment to address that issue.

Normally such a thing is 'leaked' to gauge a reaction without the administration having to officially say anything and perhaps that is the case here, who really knows?

It is an issue where there are both pros and cons, if it could be done in such a way where it brought the A1 and SFL closer to the SANFL that could perhaps be a good thing for local footy in general. Yet as mentioned above, losing players to play in substandard teams for match fitness is unlikely to be of much benefit.

Perhaps it is time for something to come out from the SANFL and lets see where the lie of the land really is on this one?
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:54 pm

Lee wrote:That statement is probably true for some, but not most.

Reserves football has changed over recent years and is now dominated by younger players trying to make league football.

It's only the outstanding juniors who go straight from 18's to league qwithout playing reserves.

Most clubs also have one or two players who aren't likely to play league, but are valuable help for the younger players.

So a 'normal' reserves side is probably close to, or a variation of, this:

2 senior players who don't play league.
2 or 3 league players coming back from injury, etc
2 or 3 solid league players who aren;t selected
8 or 10 19-21 years old trying to establish themselves to play league, or who are 'fringe' league players.
Balance are 18 years old and very promising.
1 or 2 rucks from wherever you can get them  Very Happy

I strongly disagree about the standard of SANFL footy as well.  I think it's a high standard and it's hard to get a kick.  I have rose coloured glasses about past eras like most of us, but amongst the star players of the past, there were a lot of very ordinary footballers as well.  

The current standard is very good, IMO.

At Noarlunga last Saturday Sturt's reserves side contained only 2 players who had ever played league footy. Most of the remainder were from last year's U18s. This is now the policy of the Sturt Football Club. I assume the same applied to the South team, and to the majority of other SANFL clubs. The reserves are now mainly a training ground for young players moving from junior development into SANFL league level and beyond. Talk of abolishing it is just plain silly.
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:57 pm

Ben W wrote:I guess I can see their point, the elephant in the room is the fact that most SANFL clubs are running at a loss and Glenelg's position in general has been discussed at length in the media. Clearly something has to be done about it and I would suggest that it is probably likely that this one of several suggestions that may be in play at the present moment to address that issue.

Normally such a thing is 'leaked' to gauge a reaction without the administration having to officially say anything and perhaps that is the case here, who really knows?

It is an issue where there are both pros and cons, if it could be done in such a way where it brought the A1 and SFL closer to the SANFL that could perhaps be a good thing for local footy in general. Yet as mentioned above, losing players to play in substandard teams for match fitness is unlikely to be of much benefit.

Perhaps it is time for something to come out from the SANFL and lets see where the lie of the land really is on this one?  
Your post just pipped mine. I assume I'm correct in assuming South's reserves side in Saturday's trial were mostly juniors?
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:01 am

Remember that last week's teams were trial games and many normal Reserves players would have been playing in an extended league team.

Still agree that the Reserves will be mainly young players.

Alart from the story referred to, I've heard nothing about this proposal at all. I doubt any club would support it or that it would save much.

Club's financial problems are more complex than this.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:03 am

When all 8 foundation SANFL clubs voted unanimously not to extend the 2016 minor round beyond 18 games (the reason, in the case of 2 clubs that I know of, being it would cost them money) it makes you wonder if they'd all find it a bit easier to make ends meet if they didn't have to field League teams.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:17 am

Flag No.10 wrote:When all 8 foundation SANFL clubs voted unanimously not to extend the 2016 minor round beyond 18 games (the reason, in the case of 2 clubs that I know of, being it would cost them money) it makes you wonder if they'd all find it a bit easier to make ends meet if they didn't have to field League teams.

That is not as far fetched as you might think.

There have been people at footy clubs who think playing footy gets in the way of operating licenced clubs.

Seriously.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by William Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:27 am

How much would clubs save from not having reserves team? player payments would be one but I can't think of to many others?
William
William

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:19 am

Reserves salary cap is about $40,000, I think. many clubs don't reach that.

There'd be savings on guernseys, footys, coaches fees, etc.

Against that, there'd be losses on fewer people attending games, in licenced premises, etc.

Under 18's would have nowhere to progress, so clubs would inevitably link with an amateur club, which would cost money.

Overall, though, it would destroy the concept of CLUB.

Just checked with the bookies. Currently offering 1000/1 for it to happen as a result of this story.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:44 pm

Lee wrote:Reserves salary cap is about $40,000, I think.  many clubs don't reach that.

Against that, there'd be losses on fewer people attending games, in licenced premises, etc.

Under 18's would have nowhere to progress, so clubs would inevitably link with an amateur club, which would cost money.

Just checked with the bookies.  Currently offering 1000/1 for it to happen as a result of this story.

Maybe we should check crowd numbers before Crows games . I know at oval ave heaps of families and kids for junior carnivals played on those days.
So other teams that dont do that might be a good area to start looking
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:57 pm

Lee wrote:Reserves salary cap is about $40,000, I think.  many clubs don't reach that.

Just checked with the bookies.  Currently offering 1000/1 for it to happen as a result of this story.

maybe we could all get together & take the 1000/1 & scrap the reserves concept, collect the cash & announce at years end it was a mistake & reintroduce the reserves the year after Very Happy
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:59 pm

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/3361/
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by southern bulldog Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:07 pm

Do we believe this after all the lies & propaganda about the Crows & Port in the SANFL its a bit like a CEO of a club saying the coach is safe only to be gone soon after.Believe it when i see it.
southern bulldog
southern bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:18 pm

Yes, I believe it.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:22 pm

I'm surprised an off the cuff remark by Dittmar has gone so far that sanfl has to issue a statement.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum