AFL Reserves - they haven't thought it through.

+44
brodlach
mickyj
zipzap
Mods
blueandwhite
AdelaideFC
Aerie
C.K
The Hatchet
Southee
Bosstralian
UncleHuey
Brucetiki
BirdofPrey
JUICEBOXMAN
eartotheground
CB10
Scrappy
testy
Carman09
The Emperor
the prowler
Big Phil
ecky
Admin
Ben W
howthewestwaswon
Gingernuts
Scrunch
Go Legs
Thiele
PhilH
spell_check
mark beswick
bayman
bigclock
firstblood
oldfella
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Booney
countrycousin
Flag No.10
waddayamean
Lee
48 posters

Page 1 of 27 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next

Go down

AFL Reserves - they haven't thought it through. Empty AFL Reserves - they haven't thought it through.

Post by Lee Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Sounds like a good idea if you're employed by an AFL club in Adelaide, doesn't it?  Have your own Reserves team in the SANFL.  No downside, we can do what we want with our players, instead of seeing them play for different clubs.

That's either just plain silly, or else it's the start of a dangerous scenario.  Let's look at whether it's silly or not, from a viewpoint that hasn't been looked at much.  Forget the powerful and logical arguments that Adelaide, Port Adelaide and West Coast have all won premierships under the current system and firget that Fremantle are heading in the same direction under the same system until this year.  Forget that having their own Reserves team hasn't helped those AFL teams hanitually at the bottom of the table.

Take Rory Laird.  Playing for West doesn't seem to have hurt his development, as far as I can see. Nor did it for Ben Rutten, or Jason Porplyzia, or any of dozens of similar players.  But how would Rory Laird go under this new scenario?

Let's say Adelaide field a Reserves team, with (say) 12 players from their list.  The top- up players come from junior or amateur teams.

Let's see some hypotheticals in Part 2 as follows:

Last edited by redandblack on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

AFL Reserves - they haven't thought it through. Empty Re: AFL Reserves - they haven't thought it through.

Post by Lee Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:37 pm

At West Adelaide, Rory can expect to play against strong men and with strong men. When he goes for a mark, he can reasonably expect to be protected by his team mates. When he runs to receive a handpass, he can expect the handpass to go to him. When he looks to give a handpass, he can reasonablt expect a player to know where to be.

Let's look at the scenario of him playing with 8 or 9 amateur players. Is it really going to help his development. Seriously, how confident will he be spending his time covering for their errors, being left vulnerable by their lack of fitness or footy 'smarts' or lack of skill. Will his development really accelerate under this scenario, just to play in his correct position or under the AFL game plan. With amateur players, there is no way that game plan could be maintained.

None.

I haven't played much footy at all, so I'd be interested in the opinions of those who have.

So, if that scenario has plenty of flaws, have they not thought about it, or, more likely, is there another thin end of the wedge in mind?

Let's look at that in part 3,

Last edited by redandblack on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

AFL Reserves - they haven't thought it through. Empty Re: AFL Reserves - they haven't thought it through.

Post by Lee Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:52 pm

If we (and the AFL clubs) think topping up with amateur or junior players is fraught with danger, then what is the alternative?

We all know that, don't we. It wouldn't take long for the cry to go out that better players are needed. So then it would be the SANFL's best juniors, or then one senior player from each club.

And so on.

A couple of other points.

Towards the end of last year, Port Adelaide (AFL) said they only had about five more ontheir list to choose from. Where would the top-up players ave come from and what about the fairness to the opposition and supporters ithat scenario?

Rory Laird is a West Adelaide junior. Before that, his junior club spent time and money to coach and put him on the field. West then did the same and the same goes for all drafted young players, from whatever club.

They play in the SANFL, but 'they're our players'. Yes, they are, because a compulsory procedure made them your players, in return for you giving W est Adelaide, or Sturt, or North Adelaide, or whatever club, a relative pittance.

There are a lot of good people in the AFL clubs. There are many intelligent people, too. I'm not one of those who deride AFL football. At its best, it leaves the SANFL for dead for skill and I've seen and enjoyed so many great games. I'll continue to barrack for the Crows and I'll continue to hope for success fir Rory Laird and the many, many AFL stars who started their football journey at West Adelaide.

I just wonder whether those good, intelligent people have thought this one through.

I really hope they haven't.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:45 am

The idea that the AFL club needs to 'keep its players together' as a justification for a Reserves team is barely credible. They train together full time all week, every week, so the suggestion that half a dozen of them need to play together for another 2 hours on the weekend or their team will suffer is facile. And when that club delists about 10 of just these sorts of players every year, it makes the need to 'keep them together' even less compelling.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:39 pm

R&B, what worries me is that they may well have thought this through better than we think. I say this because the AFL is driving the process, not the clubs, nor the SANFL. I can imagine they're driving a very hard bargain over the purchase of the licenses and it may well include a stipulation that the reserves teams are set up before they take over. There may well be good trustworthy people at the club level, but in Demetriou's empire the bottom line is always $$$. There may be the odd individual somewhere who trusts the boys at AFL house, though I can't say I've actually met one. I certainly don't and I can see this being dumped on us as a fait accompli, all nicely wrapped in legalize, with no way out and to hell with the SANFL clubs. I know I'm an old cynic from way back and I'd like to be proven wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:55 pm

CC, the licences are the domain of the SANFL, the composition of the competition is the domain of the clubs. The SANFL can't deliver to the AFL clubs entry to the SANFL comp unless the clubs agree to it, as I understand it.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:06 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:CC, the licences are the domain of the SANFL, the composition of the competition is the domain of the clubs. The SANFL can't deliver to the AFL clubs entry to the SANFL comp unless the clubs agree to it, as I understand it.

Unless an offer too good to refuse is tabled. But like CC says, what the AFL want....
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanks, W.

That article backs up everything I've said about tonight's meeting and proves that Michelangelo was totally wrong originally.

I give him credit for sticking up for the SANFL, though.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:35 pm

It also makes you wonder if the Crows will just try to railroad clubs into an affirmative decision.

That they haven't put a proposal showing how it will not compromise the sanfl comp at this late stage attests to that.

Whilst the club Presidents may not need their members endorsement of their vote, they will run the risk of alienating members (like me) if they don't provide information to clubs prior to any vote.

And that the league hasn't pulled Port up a bit in their Power Ressies by stealth campaign, shows their position in respect to the separation of football departments agreement.

Does anyone get the impression that they (crows / power / possibly sanfl) think this will all just happen irrespective of what clubs, members and sanfl supporters in general may want?
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Chambo, I too have the same impression. I think that the two clubs are used to getting their way with the SANFL.

HOWEVER, once the two licences are gone/sold then the SANFL should have no interest in the financial position of these two clubs and will concern themselves with the local clubs only?
oldfella
oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:59 pm

Silly question here... How do the Crows and Power go regarding the SANFL salary cap should they enter into the SANFL?
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:25 pm

AFL players are paid by their AFL clubs, not SANFL clubs.  Their salaries are not included in SANFL clubs' salary caps, but a nominal amount of (I think it's) $400 is counted towards the cap for each SANFL game each AFL player plays.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:19 pm

apart from the swearing i agree with waddayamean 100% & have mentioned parts of his post previously...i don't know of any company/business who tells the supplier how much they'll pay for what they want, hell i can't even go into woolworths & barter when buying an iced coffee from $2.20 down to $2.00...we have what they want, if they want it that much they can pay through the nose for it

well done to North & Norwood to a lessor extent

& i'm not very happy with a certain club in the western suburbs  & it isn't West or Glenelg i'm talking about
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:43 pm

bayman wrote:apart from the swearing i agree with waddayamean 100% & have mentioned parts of his post previously...i don't know of any company/business who tells the supplier how much they'll pay for what they want, hell i can't even go into woolworths & barter when buying an iced coffee from $2.20 down to $2.00...we have what they want, if they want it that much they can pay through the nose for it

well done to North & Norwood to a lessor extent

& i'm not very happy with a certain club in the western suburbs  & it isn't West or Glenelg i'm talking about

AFL Reserves - they haven't thought it through. Screen10 ? Smile
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Eagles voted yes last time along with sturt!
mark beswick
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:11 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by 'last time' wolves. There's never been a proposal put to the clubs before so what was the vote about?
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Last meeting, there was a vote to see the positions of directors as they stood without an outcome that was officially binding.

Since then, a proposal has been generated and submitted tonight to the directors and commissioners for discussion
mark beswick
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:44 pm

If you have a look in here, both teams you mention voted yes informally are 1-2 of local and equal most total number of listed players involved at any club:

http://www.talkingfootysa.com/t1603-afl-listed-players-currently-at-each-club#29653

I'll bet you or anyone would know more than me, but perhaps the yes vote is in mind due to the fact that it would be easier on both clubs not having to juggle all those players, while also thinking that there would be more monetary compensation for losing the players altogether that way, as opposed to the Crows and Power finding a home in another competition.  They also have to juggle this nominal payment of $500 for every match the AFL listed players play more than the other clubs.

Either way, I'm not really fussed actually if the clubs' official vote comes down to that because:

a) It's unlikely there will be enough support to permit the motion from carrying

b) The SANFL competition will be poorer no matter how it's done, it is just a matter of how much.  The standard of the competition continues to slide; removing these players into either the SANFL Reserves or NEAFL, VFL, SAAFL will add liquid soap to that slide.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:57 pm

SANFL MEDIA RELEASE (WEDNESDAY JUNE 19TH 2013)
 MESSAGE FROM SA FOOTBALL COMMISSION CHAIRMAN

Following tonight’s SANFL League Director’s meeting held at AAMI Stadium, SA Football Commission Chairman John Olsen made the following comments in regard to discussions around the possible inclusion of teams from the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs within the SANFL competition:
“The SANFL and the SANFL League Clubs are working through a process of analysing the various pros and cons of additional teams entering the competition,” Mr Olsen said.
“The League Directors have agreed on a series of guiding principles which would form the basis for any negotiations. These principles are designed to ensure that, should any changes be considered, they strengthen the competition,” he said.
“At tonight’s meeting, the League Directors have agreed to the requests of the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs that they make presentations to the Directors, and this invitation will now be extended to the two AFL clubs in the coming weeks.
Once all the input has been received from the various stakeholders, the SA Football Commission will make a recommendation for the League Directors to consider.

“Together we will make a decision that is in the best interests of the SANFL and the South Australian football community.”

PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:06 pm

Are we (members and supporters) not stakeholders?
Do any of these bozos actually give a sh!t what we think?

If they cock this up, there won't be a bloody SA football community.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 27 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next