A Mum
38 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Page 19 of 38 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 28 ... 38  Next

Go down

Adelaide  - Page 19 Empty Re: Adelaide

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:23 am

$1.4M I heard for the next 2 seasons.

Why would Sando agree to a contract that did not provide some security. His agent wouldn't have let him.

Maybe the line in the sand is now with Fagan, but you still have those above that may not have learnt the lesson of sins past.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:27 am

So, if we are to assume :

Performance based contract that required a finals berth this year, why would they pay him out in full?
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:28 am

Booney wrote:Is there a case for Roo to step away from his media duties now?

Clearly he is a man with great influence in the board room at West Lakes and while not being president, a hint of Eddie-with-a-media-hat and Eddie-with-a-Collingwood-hat is about.

For his clubs sake, IMO, he should step away from his media role, at least stop the MMM show anyway. Any little quip he makes could and will be construed as a "leak".

Blokes like Eddie, Brayshaw, Dunstall and now Roo certainly walk fine lines in their often conflicting roles.
How well Roo balances it will be interesting.

He has been a pretty straight-shooter in the past in his comments and criticisms.
Will his comments become more circumspect from now on. Yeah I reckon they will.
That may make his MMM persona a bit more bland.

It is hard to argue that he won't be compromised to some extent.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:04 pm

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8907496

Adelaide would have gone from bad to worse if they didn't sack coach Brenton Sanderson, according to Crows chiefs.

Chairman Rob Champman fronted the media a short time ago to explain the club's motives, revealing the decision was made after a 'robust' end-of-season review in which they agreed they would not accept 'mediocrity'.
"I think Brenton got dealt some poor hands, but it’s more than the win:loss ratio," Chapman said.
"We played out dozens of scenarios but thought the best decision was to part ways with our coach and find someone who can take us to finals... big finals.
"We decided that we mad to make some tough calls to deliver the vision of our fans and club." Adelaide great Mark Ricciuto had earlier taken to radio to confirm senior Crows players were a major factor in the removal of Sanderson.
A senior core of players heavily criticised Sanderson in post-season interviews after the Crows missed the finals for the second year in a row.

"We spoke to all the key people that you need to speak to that the coach has got to have relationships with if it's going to be a successful football club," Ricciuto told Triple M radio on Thursday.

"The players were one of those groups and obviously form part of the reason why he's not there from next year onwards."

Ricciuto, club chairman Rob Chapman, head of football David Noble and board member Andrew Payze were the group that reviewed Sanderson and concluded he must be sacked.

"I'm one of a number of guys that have done a review and come up with a conclusion that we had to move on the coach," Ricciuto said.

"When you do a review and have a look at what has happened and what could happen, you have got to make a decision which is good for the football club.

"And I would say if we didn't make this decision, things could go from bad to worse like they have at other times in the Adelaide Football Club when we have had coaches moved on halfway through a season.

"I know how easily it can unravel."

Asked if Sanderson was a good coach, Ricciuto, a former Crows captain and the club's only Brownlow medallist, replied: "You don't get sacked if you're otherwise, do you.

"He is a good coach in some ways, I feel. He is a good bloke. But to be a good coach you have to be good at a lot of things.

"Win-loss at the end of the day dictates it but it's about getting so many things right in your football club.

"If you want to be a premiership football club or be in the top level of finals for a long period of time, you have to get a lot of things right as a senior coach."

Sanderson was expected to hold a media conference later Thursday.

Roo might just not get a chrissy card from Sando.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:39 pm

This will be a defining moment for the Adelaide Football Club.

Whether it will be positive or negative is yet to be determined.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:55 pm

Gingernuts wrote:This will be a defining moment for the Adelaide Football Club.

Whether it will be positive or negative is yet to be determined.

What Port have been through recently seems so, so different. Williams ran out of patience with a group who, following a premiership winning group, was struggling to live up to the standards he required. Off field things were beginning to look dire. Long term major sponsors were walking, crowds were disappearing....

Then Primus took charge of a group low on confidence, lacking genuine star power and without the core required to take it forward. He had a chance, we went backwards and he was rightfully moved on.

So contrasting to the way people outside of the Adelaide set up viewed them but 24 hours ago.

Gun midfield, much loved key forward heading back to top form after a knee, sound group of youngsters, talk of a sound culture being built under the coach, crowds at an all time high, new CEO who looks polished and the club holding onto one of the longest sponsorship deals in the league. Now saying "in turmoil" would not be over the top?

It used to be a "weeks a long time in football".....now its a day!!
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Sanderson presser = all class.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:33 pm

In a lot of ways I think Sando could feel himself right royally screwed over.

Communication skills or not, he;

- didn't have the benefit of top round draft picks for 2 years and watched Port blood blokes like Wines and Wingard who kicked on big time. I bet he would have loved one or two of those.

- lost a senior mentor like Dean Bailey through no fault of his own for effectively 2 seasons.

- didn't have the benefit of what Roo calls a fully functional Football Department.
IE No Coaching Director and whatever other things they have identified. Maybe Sando had some input to this area, but plenty of others would have too.

- certainly was curtailed by injuries in 2013

- lost the CEO for a big chunk of a footy season, and Football Manager for a while through their own negligence. But they were welcomed back with open arms.

And yet in order to fix the football department the Crows must be brutal and Sando must be called to account for all of these failings, which just maybe played a part in his ability to deliver success. I guess not according to the board.

Maybe Sando is like Moses and not the man to deliver them to the promised land.

But when Mr Chapman et al realise their own shortcomings maybe the culture will change. Until then they will just look for scapegoats and swim around in the mediocrity they want to rise above.

Talk is cheap and they are whipping all their supporters up into a frenzy of excitement with all this spin. I don't buy it.

Some related examples;

How many times in 30 years have Richmond replaced coaches because of mediocrity and where has it got them. Just another failed season finishing 9th, or 100 point thrashing when they actually do make it into finals.

How many times has St Kilda replaced coaches in similar circumstances? Well this year in fact and how well have they fared? When they have made to the last weekend of the season, has their own culture worked against their self-belief to succeed? I reckon twice in the last 5 years it has.

Melbourne, same.

Port, same - UNTIL they realised the culture change starts at the top and a new board later they are flying.

Good luck Mr Chapman you're going to need it I think.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:34 pm

will Heath Younie still be the coach of the Adelaide reserves ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:58 pm

Don't know if anyone just saw it, but Dangerfield very impressive on the Footy Show tonight.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:06 am

Watched it this morning Ginge.

I got mixed messages from Dangerfield ( albeit he performed very well in the spotlight, you'd expect nothing less ).

There was a couple of moments of cheeky grin, then a frown like the question was too close to the bone. All in all I don't think he told us something we didn't know ( ie - clearly the players made comments less than complimentary about Sanderson in end of year reviews ) and he didn't try to deny that either.

One thing we all know, and he reaffirmed, is that the board make the decision. No doubt about that. But the board don't have an intimate knowledge of the coach/player relationships, only the players do.

More concerning were Roo's comments about "going from bad to worse".
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:58 am

Concerning. Refreshing. The jury will remain out on whether this course of action was the right one - I haven't made my mind up yet myself.

He continued to say that this has happened in the past, times which he'd been involved in - referring no doubt to keeping both Ayres and Craig too long, and then having to take action mid-season.

This was a pre-emptive strike to avoid another stretch of mediocrity. Their review obviously uncovered some early warning signs in various areas, and rather than staying the course, they decided to press the reset button.

While there has been copious amounts of ridiculous speculation, I have taken a lot of comfort from the clear and consistent messages coming from all representatives of the Club.

Dangerfield didn't have to tow the line. He didn't even have to go on the Footy Show. But he did. He chose the sit there, agreed to be questioned, and presented himself not as just a spectator to the event but part of the Club and united in it's pursuit of success.

“The last two seasons we have not made finals — it is as simple as that, we finished 10th (this year) and 11th (last year),” he said.

“Not playing finals will not be tolerated by our football club.”

It looks like we're set for a wild ride this off season - but I have said myself, this is IMO the most important pre-season in the Club's history.

Make no mistake, we are at the cross roads. Our brand is weak. We present a clean cut corporate image, but our football has lacked substance, character, heart, and passion since arguably our premiership years. We are in danger of becoming a Richmond.

In this sort of climate you hope for bold and brave people to take control and make the tough decisions to take the Club in a new direction. That is happening now.

There would not have been a single person on that board who enjoyed making that decision. But that did it anyway.

Could it all go pear shaped? Absolutely. But the AFC has been a 'safe' Club for far too long now.

They say that fortune favours the brave. We're about to find out.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:27 am

Adelaide  - Page 19 Roo11
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:27 pm

Rumours swirling around Clarkson.

Dangerfield had a smirk on his face last night when questioned about meeting with him. Insinuation was that it was to discuss a move to Hawthorn. Perhaps it was the other way around.....
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:34 pm

I guess Adelaide would be damned if they did and damned if they didnt . if they didnt make the finals for a third year
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:22 pm

they stated they wanted a premiership coach, so with that in mind why hasn't John Worsfolds' name been mentioned ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:44 pm

bayman wrote:they stated they wanted a premiership coach, so with that in mind why hasn't John Worsfolds' name been mentioned ?

It was on 7 news and he said no thanks
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:06 pm

I think this whole "club needs an experienced coach" is rubbish. I think it's better to go for a coach more recently out of the game with more modern practices. Besides, there's very very few coaches available with successful experience. If you can get a Clarkson or Longmire type in some form of coup then fair enough, but how many other current coaches or coaches not long out of the game have runs on the board?
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:57 pm

Agree scrunch, Adelaide needs the tough nut type of coach one who played to win had a good football brain and gets on well with players.

Where he is to be found I dont know, he has to be around the place somewhere, the only trouble is that he will only have 2 years to get the Crows into a competitive finals contender.

As an aside, maybe those who had problems with Sando should suggest to the board, the type of coach they would be happy with.
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:44 pm

mickyj wrote:
bayman wrote:they stated they wanted a premiership coach, so with that in mind why hasn't John Worsfolds' name been mentioned ?

ok, thanks Mickyj
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:27 pm

Mark Ricciuto on Dangerfield today:

Adelaide board member Mark Ricciuto says the Crows are confident of retaining star midfielder Patrick Dangerfield beyond next season.

The 24-year-old Victorian will qualify for free agency at the end of 2015, but Dangerfield has publicly indicated he wants to remain at West Lakes.

Speculation surrounding the vice-captain’s future has intensified since Brenton Sanderson's departure from the Club last week, but Ricciuto said Dangerfield was an integral part of Adelaide’s future plans.

"We'll get the contract right, we'll pay [Dangerfield] what he needs to be paid, but we've got to get the culture, environment and everything right so that he can win a premiership, because he wants to win one," Ricciuto said.

"At the moment we've got a few things going on. Once we get that right I'm sure Paddy Dangerfield will want to be a long-term player with the Crows," Ricciuto said.

All sounds perfectly fair to me to be honest.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:12 pm

bayman wrote:
mickyj wrote:

ok, thanks Mickyj

no worries bayman
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:40 pm

Have Adelaide fixed their leaky boat?

In the past it seems that any big news to come out of the AFC has usually surfaced via the 'back door', and the club has only called press conferences to confirm news already in the public domain.

Since the end of the season though, we've had a new CEO appointed and our head coach sacked, both of which took the local media by complete surprise.

Details of Sanderson's sacking have been scant, and all that has been reported only really based on speculation and the 'public' line delivered by the club. There has been no whispers any concrete details from behind the closed doors of West Lakes.

As we head towards the appointment of a new head coach which will surely happen this week, it seems no one is any the wiser on who it might be. There is speculation, and to a certain degree people seem to have a fair idea of who has been spoken too, but there is nothing certain about any news on this appointment at the moment. A part of me even wonders whether wrong information has been leaked deliberately just to make it even harder to predict.

I'm beginning to wonder whether the Adelaide Football Club are actually finally getting their house in order.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:59 pm

Well, would you want Roo knocking on your door with a "Please explain?"

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:05 pm

Booney wrote:Well, would you want Roo knocking on your door with a "Please explain?"

Nope. Laughing

All I can say is about bloody time.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 38 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 28 ... 38  Next