Scrappy
killer
Lee
PhilH
Brucetiki
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Qualifying Final: South v Sturt - Saturday 3 September @ Adelaide Oval - Page 2 Empty Re: Qualifying Final: South v Sturt - Saturday 3 September @ Adelaide Oval

Post by countrycousin Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:28 pm

Having sat through both games, and by God that wind was cold. Shocked I remarked to my companion that I was very glad to be facing WWT next week, and leaving South to cope with the Crows. My impression of the Elimination final was that Centrals were overpowered in the first half by a bigger, better side. To their credit the Dogs lifted their work rate and tackling pressure in the second half, but there was a suspicion that Adelaide took the foot of the metal a bit. The game was over at half time.
As to the Qualifying game, it was very close in the first half. I may be wrong, but the wind appeared to gradually shift to favour the northern end in the second half. I know we were very conscious of the need for maximum pressure to stop South getting a break in the 3rd 1/4. I thought our players did a great job in that term, and at 3/4 time I felt we had both the breeze and momentum to come home with. Obviously delighted with the win, but Eagles have been the measuring stick for us all year. Looking forward to a great contest.
As for that question about whether the AFL franchises should be in our finals? My gut reaction is "No". But I fear we're stuck with them, because I can't see a compromise that would satisfy all parties.
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Qualifying Final: South v Sturt - Saturday 3 September @ Adelaide Oval - Page 2 Empty Re: Qualifying Final: South v Sturt - Saturday 3 September @ Adelaide Oval

Post by bayman Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:16 pm

Your last paragraph, forget whether they should be allowed in the finals, they should not have been allowed to bulldoze their way into the competition fullstop
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:41 pm

waddayamean wrote:What an absolute joke of a post.  Very good recruiting by Sturt and you would assume had room to move in their salary cap with the retirements the previous year. I have heard they weren't paying 100 % of the cap anyway. Have you heard why Kirkwood signed at Sturt ?  Next you will tell us how much rent you pay at Noarlunga and have a whinge about that . Your club threw money at many players over the recent years and for nothing.

I thought South just crumbled under the pressure and did not know how to handle it. Losing a player early didn't help but looked irrelevant. Joel Cross seems to get a bit sooky when it isn't going his way and he struggled with the pressure.  
It won't be as physical next week for South and they recently comfortably beat them so lets hope they do.

clearly struck a nerve there pal..!!.. excellent recruiting by Sturt!!!! ha!  lets say I have more than a little inside knowledge on these things.........
excellent negotiating skills by the SAFC re the lease at Noarlunga too, You see we do have at least some asset value in that we own most of the buildings down there....and im sure Sturt have a cosy arrangement with the Unley council too..renting the oval and the grandstands from them...
Joel Cross has a right to get a little upset when he gets yet another broken nose..and sniped off the ball, but he's getting used to it, happens every week.
"our club threw money at players in recent years.."   - do tell me the big names we've recruited in the last 3 years..?
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by blueandwhite Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:49 pm

waddayamean wrote:A broken nose every week you reckon. Tough cookie.He got outmarked once and whinged and caught holding the ball and did the same . Hardly sniping , he just didn't like the in close stuff.  A very good player no doubt.

Yeah you did strike a nerve considering the free ride you get. Not talking about the last 3 years though. South learnt there lesson with that over the many years of throwing cash at players . With your knowledge you should know that and also know salary cap spending . It is also well documented the relationship between Sturt and The Unley Council over the years . Sounds like it has improved now but not cosy arrangement there , however you would know.
Did South lose ? lol

yes of course we lost!

Yep , Crossy -yes he's a apparently a sook because he gets 2 free kicks against him and disagrees with them...of course the umpires at sanfl level always get it right dont they. You say he doesnt like the close in stuff.. thats why the opposition is hellbent on smashing him from the opposite side of the stoppage, but still for a guy who doesnt like the tough stuff, he had 7 clearances yesterday, which he averages most weeks , reasonable I suppose ....
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:06 am

Scrunch wrote:Hope South get up, in fact I hope they go all the way. Whilst Sturts form of late hasn't been as impressive as other times throughout the season, I think they are still a big chance this weekend.

Game worked out about how I thought it would. Sturt were very impressive from what I saw - Seems like they've been the Eagles bunnies in recent years (no orphans there) but if they bring that same application, level of pressure and run, they are in the premiership hunt up to their necks.

Hopefully South can bounce back and dump Adelaide out next week.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:11 am

There is one aspect about the Eagles I am not sure the Blues can counter.

That is their 3 big units in the forward line.
We just don't have the size to match them and they cut is up the last time.

Howrver, if we can bring the same tackling intensity and pressure to the Eagles, that is the only way we can keep the ball from being delivered to them.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:26 am

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:There is one aspect about the Eagles I am not sure the Blues can counter.

That is their 3 big units in the forward line.
We just don't have the size to match them and they cut is up the last time.

Howrver, if we can bring the same tackling intensity and pressure to the Eagles, that is the only way we can keep the ball from being delivered to them.

IF you can stop them in the air though, i think you can transition off them with run and good ball use. I really liked what I saw from Sturt on Saturday and appreciate that the Eagles are a different proposition entirely, but give you guys a reasonable chance.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2