Chambo Off To Work We Go
Big Phil
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Glenelg Appoints Glenn Elliot as CEO Empty Glenelg Appoints Glenn Elliot as CEO

Post by Big Phil Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:15 am

MEDIA RELEASE – CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER APPOINTMENT

The Glenelg Football Club is excited to announce the appointment of Glenn Elliott to the position of Chief Executive Officer.

Glenn has extensive management experience in the sports, hospitality and tourism industries where his most recent positions have been as CEO of Adelaide United Football Club in the A League between 2011 and 2014 and prior to that as CEO of the North Adelaide Football Club for 10 years which included establishing their commercial entities The Northern Tavern and Grand North.

Glenn is returning to the Glenelg Football Club after 19 years where he was CEO between 1993 and 1997.

Glenn has the unique combination of vast management experience in the sporting and hospitality industry combined with a lifetime involvement in football where he played 153 games in the VFL for the St Kilda and Melbourne football clubs and then went on to coach the West Torrens Football Club in the SANFL.

This impressive sporting and management background provides a wonderful foundation that will enable Glenn to successfully lead the Glenelg Football Club through the many challenges and opportunities we encounter being involved in the SANFL competition and hospitality industry.

Glenn’s official start date is January 4th 2016.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Glenelg Appoints Glenn Elliot as CEO Empty Re: Glenelg Appoints Glenn Elliot as CEO

Post by Lee Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:36 am

CEO of most of the SANFL clubs is a very tough gig these days.

Best wishes to Glenn.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Glenelg Appoints Glenn Elliot as CEO Empty Re: Glenelg Appoints Glenn Elliot as CEO

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:50 pm

I see a report in the Advertiser has the Bays as the next club in difficulty. Seems a rotating handle these days. Are we ever going to see better times and stability in the sanfl.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/sanfl/glenelg/glenelg-battles-3m-debts-might-not-field-a-team-in-2017/news-story/7450075307c77da38cd1810419236dd2
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:19 pm

Bummer........pay-walled Murdoch newspaper article.........."next!"
RODH2
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:21 pm

Not the news I expected to come up on google news this weekend! Clearly there has to be more to this story than this?
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by bayman Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:41 pm

i posted this on the snouts site & it has been passed on, whether they go down this path or not i don't know but i think it is worth trying & worth trying for all clubs, there were other ideas posted as well, anyway my post follows now........................................

would you, yes all of you/us/me be prepared to pay $1,000.00 to get a say loyalty rewards membership which includes your usual membership such as home match tickets or seasons ticket & pay the up front fee/gift & get a 10 year loyalty membership ticket........if 1,000 members paid $1,000.00 there's a million bucks to start with, no it isn't the whole debt but about a third of it to start with

i'd be happy to pay it & for those that can't afford that much in one hit but would like to pay/help perhaps installments over the next 12 months could be arranged

as for wadda's post the last two words sum it up perfectly
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:10 pm

i used the term ''loyalty ticket'' you could use any term you think suits, anyway

membership including seasons ticket from memory is (at Glenelg) $180.00

so showing long term loyalty ie 10 years (or even half for 5 years) & pay $1,000.00 for the 10 years, your season ticket is much more value ($100.00 per year) & the club benefits by actually knocking off some debt, presuming enough people jump on board & when pulling heart strings it generally works, off course whether you pay yearly as is the case or this idea the club gets all the money.....another way to look at it is ''buy in bulk & get discount''
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:34 pm

waddayamean wrote:Yet no further revenue stream from member tickets?  

Glenelg have a decent supporter base and need to engage them. Be a member campaign etc etc. You look at the other site and most of the Glenelg posters offer nothing except bag their own club. To me its a terrible culture at Glenelg and has been for many many years.

you can have your snipe, all i've offered is a suggestion, whether its taken up or not i don't know, other suggestions have been put forward as well,surely trying something & implementing it (whatever it is) is worth trying ? &  if Glenelg had no debt they would be going ok, yes our ceo's overall have been crap with Nelson the worst by a long long way, but the trouble with ceo's is they get glowing references from previous employers just so they can get rid of them whether it is football or in any field, as for further revenue streams, i'm sure the bar, bistro & so forth would still be in operation
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:40 pm

ps, as for revenue streams i believe (i do not understand how it works) that Glenelg are unveiling a new website which will generate money
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:18 pm

the culture post, if that isn't a snipe i don't know what is....as for the site i'm basically a novice about the workings of the internet but better brains than myself tell me a revamp website will generate money, as for 9 more years, i think (or wouldn't have suggested it) to get out of this hole you have to try something & if a million could be raised or even half that by doing this surely it is a good thing ? as for not spending for 9 years, surely you would spend money on food & drink match days, take the family & have meals during the week & the odd bit of merchandise........i'll put it another way if i owed you $1,000.00 & i said to you i'll give you $10.00 a week until i pay it off & after a little while i came into money i'm sure you'd be happy to get the rest in one big payment ? that is what i'm saying, my $180.00 per year means nothing in the overall scheme of things, however a payment of $1,000.00 surely helps more especially if big numbers can pay up with this idea.....1,000 members at $1,000.00 equals a million bucks & that surely dents the debt, in fact it wipes out the ANZ debt & then we'd be dealing with the council
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:23 pm

Unless you've had a wealthy benefactor, it is extremely difficult fot an SANFL club to make regular profits.

In a nutshell, you have to raise maybe $800K to a million dollars after SANFL distributions to run your teams. Add on admin salaries, etc and that's a lot of income to generate merely to break even.

Clubs rely on their supporters enormously to survive and suggestions like bayman's have been utilised by more than one club with success.

I'm not sure that having 'qualified" Board members only is the way to go. A mix of qualified, well-connected people and people with their heart in their club is a good mix.

I sympathise with the Glenelg Board and Glenn Elliott and wish them luck. If members ate and drank at their clubs it would go a long way towards righting the ship.

All clubs will get a very significant financial input from the SANFL over the next several years to reduce their debt.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:39 pm

waddayamean wrote:The cultural post is face and you know it. Bayman, your post is a hypothetical. Mate IF you won 10 mill I would be certain you would donate to Glenelg. I cannot see your financial analysis behind what you are saying.

Maybe I wasn't clear. If I but a ticket for $1000 for ten years , the you get nothing for he next 9 years. Mate selling a few pies and a beer will not be enough. Then calculate CPI.
Might be a biy beyond the current board .

i presume ''face'' was supposed to be ''fact'' i disagree, i think the last 12-24 months or so including Nick Stevens' stint was a turnaround of that....as for not paying for 9 years, so what if the club/business can get out of trouble (to some extent) this way, why not ? especially when you consider that the bank & possibly the council although i doubt the council would could claim (i don't know the correct term) monies owed & have the doors shut basically immediately
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:06 pm

waddayamean wrote:
bayman wrote:
waddayamean wrote:The cultural post is face and you know it. Bayman, your post is a hypothetical. Mate IF you won 10 mill I would be certain you would donate to Glenelg. I cannot see your financial analysis behind what you are saying.

Maybe I wasn't clear. If I but a ticket for $1000 for ten years , the you get nothing for he next 9 years. Mate selling a few pies and a beer will not be enough. Then calculate CPI.
Might be a biy beyond the current board .

i presume ''face'' was supposed to be ''fact'' i disagree, i think the last 12-24 months or so including Nick Stevens' stint was a turnaround of that....as for not paying for 9 years, so what if the club/business can get out of trouble (to some extent) this way, why not ? especially when you consider that the bank & possibly the council although i doubt the council would could claim (i don't know the correct term) monies owed & have the doors shut basically immediately

Yeah made a spelling mistake , sorry. Did I pick you up with your grammar ? Work out where to put a comma before you start correcting .
I am not sure how to make it clearer. Once paid ,those  members generate zero membership dollars for nine years.

Bag me all you like.

i wasn't ''bagging you'' about a typing error, i was just clarifying it & to make sure i had your correct meaning & nothing more, we all make ''typo errors'' all i have done is offered a suggestion on how to raise quick decent money, i wish i didn't share it here & just left it on snouts which has been sent to the club, i'm sorry i'm trying to in a very small way help my club recover & in turn prosper
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:30 pm

ps, there could be no 9 years at all if the ANZ forces the closure
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:47 pm

W, you should try to get on a club Board.

You would soon be able to set them straight and generate new revenue streams where most club boards have failed.

Your expertise would be greatly appreciated.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:50 pm

I have been on the bandwagon for several years now that the time has to come for the SANFL Clubs to be enemies on the field, but working as a co-operative off the field to work towards increasing revenue streams for each club collectivley.

Each club needs to pick a delegate from the board and send them over to the Penrith Panthers Leagues club to get a look through the window at how a club owns and runs multiple venues and makes serious revenue streams. What an NSW leagues club does our SANFL clubs can do some of if we are prepared to work together.

I would get it started with the lease or purchase of a city hotel with the revenue split between all the clubs and get each club to promote it and perhaps to use it for away game best player presentations and so forth. Yes it would be a very small revenue stream for each club, yet you start with one and work your way up from there. Another option could be franchised gyms that are so popular at the moment, or perhaps a sports or supplements store, different types of businesses that can raise money and provide benefits to the club at the same time.

The key thing is to get the clubs talking to one another as a collective about what might be able to be done. My concern is that perhaps some clubs might not be all that unhappy if one SANFL club did fall over because in their myopic minds it might suggest that their share of SANFL funds would increase, yet soon enough they will be back in exactly the same place with exactly the same problems.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:43 am

waddayamean wrote:
Lee wrote:W, you should try to get on a club Board.

You would soon be able to set them straight and generate new revenue streams where most club boards have failed.

Your expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm not sure I would have said "thanks" if that was directed at me....( where have my smilies gone? )
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next