Rusty Cage
A Mum
26 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Port Adelaide - Page 8 Empty Re: Port Adelaide

Post by Booney Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:09 am

Ben W wrote:Did Port or any other club have the names of all the Essendon players that were alleged to have been involved with this injecting programme? My understanding was that there was no official list and that it was all here say at the time when it broke.

That said if they knew that was the case and drafted them anyway then I do agree that there is little that can be done about it now as buyer beware openly would apply in that situation.

Port traded for Monfries in October 2012, the story broke in Feb/March 2013. As such, Port had no idea of the matter....having said that, perhaps Monfries could have mentioned the program in passing when going through the medical process?

Once again, the players really didn't go out of their way to find out if the program was really above board or not.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:15 am

It's a tricky one as I have heard the Dean Bailey suspension used as a counter argument to any possible Monfries compensation. In that instance Adelaide had to cop Bailey being suspended for 9 months (or whatever it was) with zero compensation, even though they had no idea the AFL was going to conduct a 'tanking' witch hunt against him when they hired him.

I'm thinking that given that precedent, the AFL is probably unlikely to offer compensation of any sort.

Likewise I'm not sure once the dust settles that Port really will pursue any sort of action against Essendon for compensation as in the grand scheme of things it would be an unnecessary distraction during the 2016 season.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:15 am

Agreed, heads downs, bums up and get on with it.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:14 am

Port retain another star, Ollie Wines signs a two year deal keeping him at Alberton until the end of 2018, when he'll be 23.

Smart move by the kid and his manager, 23, the world at his feet, potentially Port's new captain by 2020 and will be negotiating his next deal ( most likely 4-5 years ) when the latest TV rights deal is in the AFL bank and the players have a new EBA with the AFL.

Excellent news for the club, Boak, Trengove and Wines have all knocked back lucrative deals to return home in the last 4 years, a sign the club is doing lots of things right.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:24 am

Good for you to have him signed I suppose, however only 2 years is a worry, no matter how you spin it. It's hardly a convincing level of commitment.

Says to me that he's more interested in milking the marketplace than making any sort of meaningful commitment to Port Adelaide.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:29 am

No, "it's a worry" when players say nothing all year other than "I'll decide at the end of the year". If you can see a negative in Wines being at Alberton for 3 more years, I can understand that.

Like I said, he and his manager are very smart. New EBA, TV rights and the potential to be a top flight player of the competition at 23. I would have done the same.

When he signs his 5 year deal and a year or two later becomes our captain in 2020 I'll be even happier. Laughing
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:10 am

Laughing

Had that response in the chamber and ready to fire didn't you?

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:13 am

Maybe.... Port Adelaide - Page 8 4257781809

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:31 am

Won't be last time you roll it out today either I don't reckon. Laughing
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:32 am

Good signing by Port. Interesting that they made a profit this year, far more than the uplift from the stadium deal, which obviously wasn't the sole factor in them making losses, presumably?
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:18 am

Lee wrote:Good signing by Port.  Interesting that they made a profit this year, far more than the uplift from the stadium deal, which obviously wasn't the sole factor in them making losses, presumably?

It was certainly an important aspect of the turn around. The return on the stadium deal last year was $4.5m up on that from Football Park, that will be up another $2m to $6.5m this year.

Corporate sponsorship was not going to increase while we were getting crowds of 20,000 or less at Football Park which, as often noted, was not a clean skin stadium. Static signage of SANFL backers would be difficult to overlay with Port Adelaide specific sponsors logos. So, as Adelaide has found also, the "clean" electronic signage at AO makes it easy to "brand" the stadium. Better return/exposure for the corporate sponsors.

So the move to AO has been two fold, it has given the club a much better stadium deal and the venue itself ( along with the brand of football we play now ) has got people coming through the turnstiles, this in turn makes it more attractive to the corporate dollar.

So couple the very good stadium deal with increased membership which in turn has created increased corporate support and a smarter business model, a profit has been turned. Now it's onto decreasing the debt. Around $6.2m at the moment.

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Booney wrote:
Lee wrote:Good signing by Port.  Interesting that they made a profit this year, far more than the uplift from the stadium deal, which obviously wasn't the sole factor in them making losses, presumably?

It was certainly an important aspect of the turn around. The return on the stadium deal last year was $4.5m up on that from Football Park, that will be up another $2m to $6.5m this year.

Corporate sponsorship was not going to increase while we were getting crowds of 20,000 or less at Football Park which, as often noted, was not a clean skin stadium. Static signage of SANFL backers would be difficult to overlay with Port Adelaide specific sponsors logos. So, as Adelaide has found also, the "clean" electronic signage at AO makes it easy to "brand" the stadium. Better return/exposure for the corporate sponsors.

So the move to AO has been two fold, it has given the club a much better stadium deal and the venue itself ( along with the brand of football we play now ) has got people coming through the turnstiles, this in turn makes it more attractive to the corporate dollar.

So couple the very good stadium deal with increased membership which in turn has created increased corporate support and a smarter business model, a profit has been turned. Now it's onto decreasing the debt. Around $6.2m at the moment.

I guess in hindsight your team would regret signing Ryder and Monfries i guess those two not playing will either hinder or help port .
saying that before you get upset in hindsight i would not have gone to my works award dinner and get a traumatic brain injury and nearly die .
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:45 pm

reading on here & listening to the general media from time to time it seems Port is doing most things right at the moment, forgetting hiccups what would Ports last ''brain fade'' be ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:07 pm

bayman wrote:reading on here & listening to the general media from time to time it seems Port is doing most things right at the moment, forgetting hiccups what would Ports last ''brain fade'' be ?

Sounds a bit like a spin doctor if you know what i mean
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:23 pm

I reckon if people can put their allegiances aside, Port have done a remarkable job at turning both their list and club around over the last 3 or 4 years.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:28 pm

What has struck me the most is that Port have had some particularly smart marketing people working for them either internally or outside. You have to say that Kochie has probably been the most effective Club President in the last 3 years in engineering all of this.
Although the contribution of Adelaide Oval coming on board has helped immensely too.

That marketing has translated to $$ in the ways Booney mentioned.

The rest of the AFL is playing catch up on a lot of this now. Port just has to keep the momentum going and not get complacent with it.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:39 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:What has struck me the most is that Port have had some particularly smart marketing people working for them either internally or outside. You have to say that Kochie has probably been the most effective Club President in the last 3 years in engineering all of this.
Although the contribution of Adelaide Oval coming on board has helped immensely too.

That marketing has translated to $$ in the ways Booney mentioned.

The rest of the AFL is playing catch up on a lot of this now. Port just has to keep the momentum going and not get complacent with it.

I watched that first season of the recruit final episode inside player getting accepted Kochie was way to up front he was putting non port people off. I dont watch much of free to air but my stint in hampsted kochie was annoying .
He maybe putting the port name out there but for myself he turns any interest in port adelaide off .
Too much aint great
yes theyve turned money around recruiting is an issue Ryder and Monfries suspended for a year .
So why recruit Ryder if he was on a list for getting suspended
And totally if they were doing their job correctly in the SANFL Port Adelaide would be in the same jumper as in the AFL
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:41 pm

Kochie is the face of it, but I wouldn't underestimate KT's impact. He's a very shrewd operator.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:52 pm

Scrunch wrote:Kochie is the face of it, but I wouldn't underestimate KT's impact. He's a very shrewd operator.

The overwhelming tv image if theres not much sport on 7 its all port is that biased or something
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:36 pm

Not sure Im with you?
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:38 pm

Scrunch wrote:Not sure Im with you?

Sorry Scrunch I watch 7 news nightly if there isnt much sport on suddenly they have a story on Port pretty certain mot of its fluff
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:09 am

Ah OK gotcha. Don't watch FTA TV, so hadn't noticed.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:14 am

Scrunch wrote:Ah OK gotcha. Don't watch FTA TV, so hadn't noticed.

I only watch two shows on FTA one is the news lol
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:35 pm

mickyj wrote:

with what your going through Mickyj i would have thought you'd had had enough gloomy days without watching the doom & gloom of the news
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:39 am

bayman wrote:
mickyj wrote:

with what your going through Mickyj i would have thought you'd had had enough gloomy days without watching the doom & gloom of the news

Well lol yep there is that bayman haha
Good point
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next