waddayamean
C.K
Flag No.10
Lee
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hall of Fame - Include AFL service or not

Hall of Fame - SA or SANFL I_vote_lcap64%Hall of Fame - SA or SANFL I_vote_rcap 64% 
[ 7 ]
Hall of Fame - SA or SANFL I_vote_lcap36%Hall of Fame - SA or SANFL I_vote_rcap 36% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 11

Hall of Fame - SA or SANFL Empty Hall of Fame - SA or SANFL

Post by Lee Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:31 am

Should the Hall of Fame be as it is for SA Football, including AFL careers of SA footballers, or restricted to SA Football only?
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Hall of Fame - SA or SANFL Empty Re: Hall of Fame - SA or SANFL

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:14 am

I think Halls of Fame should pertain to a competition, i.e the AFL, the SANFL, rather than to a state. I don't think any other state has a state-based Hall of Fame does it? Players like Hart etc have the opportunity to be inducted into the AFL Hall of fame if good enough. The SANFL should have its own distinct Hall of Fame.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:41 am

Without the SANFL, virtually none of those inducted would have had the opportunity to commence a career on a national stage. I don't have any issue with the current format of the Hall of Fame in that case.

C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:55 am

The overwhelming feeling on the night was that each inductee spoke mainly about their football upbringing in SA, regardless of where they played most of their footy. They acknowledged their AFL clubs, but their stories of their local footy experiences was what made the night such an enjoyable event.

It's a difficult question now that the AFL comp is established as the pinnacle of a footballer's career. It can come down to a nit-picking exercise if it's restricted to SANFL, local and country football. For example, everyone was happy that KG was recognised, but he would have spent most of the last 20 years talking about AFL footy.

Given the structure of football now, to restrict inductees to 'non-AFL' careers, would mean so many SA greats of the game aren't recognised. It's an SA Football Hall of Fame, not an SANFL Hall of Fame.

I had no problem with any of the inductees. They are all SA Football greats, from an over 80 year old Don McSweeney from the West Coast, to Mark Ricciutto.

An SA Football Hall f Fame that excludes Gavin Wanganeen or Andrew McLeod is all the poorer for doing so, IMO.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:58 am

Well call me a stick-in-the-mud but I'd prefer to see Bob Loveday inducted into a SANFL Hall of Fame for playing 227 games for West Adelaide than seeing Matthew Pavlich inducted into a SA Football Hall of Fame (as he undoubtedly will) for playing 300 games for Fremantle.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:28 am

You're a stick-in-the-mud, Flaggie Very Happy

Seriously, I agree with you about Bob Loveday, of course, but I think there's room for both.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Adelaide Hawk Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:34 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:Well call me a stick-in-the-mud but I'd prefer to see Bob Loveday inducted into a SANFL Hall of Fame for playing 227 games for West Adelaide than seeing Matthew Pavlich inducted into a SA Football Hall of Fame (as he undoubtedly will) for playing 300 games for Fremantle.

Agree 100%. Wouldn't it be nice to have something that is totally devoid of AFL consideration for a change?
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:
Flag No.9 wrote:Well call me a stick-in-the-mud but I'd prefer to see Bob Loveday inducted into a SANFL Hall of Fame for playing 227 games for West Adelaide than seeing Matthew Pavlich inducted into a SA Football Hall of Fame (as he undoubtedly will) for playing 300 games for Fremantle.

Agree 100%. Wouldn't it be nice to have something that is totally devoid of AFL consideration for a change?

Well then technically, the AFL Hall of Fame could/should kick out those SA players that never even made it across to Vic, as the AFL is the VFL in disguise, isn't it? scratch All those SA players they poached for their clubs should be given the boot too!
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:27 pm

Why? The AFL is a national competition.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:55 pm

As it's a South Australian Hall of Fame and not a SANFL Hall of Fame, it would seem strange that Mark Ricciutto should miss out when he's played all his football in SA.

So the debate then becomes the 'Pavlich' question.

If you had an Australian Athletes Hall of Fame, would no-one get in it because their major achievements were generally all overseas. I know that's drawing a long bow, but it would apply across many sports.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:27 pm

redandblack wrote:As it's a South Australian Hall of Fame and not a SANFL Hall of Fame, it would seem strange that Mark Ricciutto should miss out when he's played all his football in SA.

Technically, he's played half his footy outside of SA Smile
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Correct weight, AH Very Happy
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:18 pm

C.K wrote:Without the SANFL, virtually none of those inducted would have had the opportunity to commence a career on a national stage. I don't have any issue with the current format of the Hall of Fame in that case.

This I agree with. Word for word.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:41 pm

redandblack wrote:As it's a South Australian Hall of Fame and not a SANFL Hall of Fame, it would seem strange that Mark Ricciutto should miss out when he's played all his football in SA.

So the debate then becomes the 'Pavlich' question.

If you had an Australian Athletes Hall of Fame, would no-one get in it because their major achievements were generally all overseas. I know that's drawing a long bow, but it would apply across many sports.

I don't think that analogy holds R&B because the Australian athlete is representing Australia, not an overseas country.
Really, I'm not that fussed by all of this, I just wish there was some more emphasis on SANFL players' achievements rather than AFL players who already have their own Hall of Fame.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Fair enough, F9, but are there deserving SANFL players who have missed out?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:42 pm

I'd have to research that a bit r&b but Loveday would be one. 227 SANFL games (I think the 2nd highest at the club), State player, coach, runner.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:43 pm

I think the question of the criteria for induction is an interesting one.

It can't be that you were born in SA, as McLeod was born in Darwin.

It can't be that you started your senior footy career in SA, as Tim Evans wouldn't have been inducted.

And it can't be that you played a significant role for a SA club, as Andrew McKay played just 44 games for Glenelg, and 244 for Carlton.

So what is it?
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:13 pm

waddayamean wrote:Like I said earlier, what's the criteria to get in?
Flag No.9 wrote:think the question of the criteria for induction is an interesting one.
Email the SANFL, they may advise you what the criteria is, perhaps?

Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:49 am

Flag No.9 wrote:I think the question of the criteria for induction is an interesting one.

It can't be that you were born in SA, as McLeod was born in Darwin.

It can't be that you started your senior footy career in SA, as Tim Evans wouldn't have been inducted.

And it can't be that you played a significant role for a SA club, as Andrew McKay played just 44 games for Glenelg, and 244 for Carlton.

So what is it?

You are posing questions that I've been asking myself. There seems to be now rhyme not reason behind induction into this Hall of Fame, and the Andrew McKay situation is a classic example as to why I'm confused about it as well.

It just seems to be if you spent any time whatsoever in SA, then went on to great careers elsewhere, you are eligible, and that just doesn't make sense to me.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:04 am

This is from the SANFL website:

"The South Australian Football Hall of Fame enshrines those who have made a most significant contribution to the game of Australian Football. "

Where's Ted Whitten and Ron Barassi then?
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:This is from the SANFL website:

"The South Australian Football Hall of Fame enshrines those who have made a most significant contribution to the game of Australian Football. "
Where's Ted Whitten and Ron Barassi then?

Very confusing indeed--Open to anyone who contributed at any level. scratch
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:35 pm

They way I see it the SA Football Hall of Fame should be for people who make the most significant contribution to South Australian Football.

Can't argue with any of the inductees this week, all very deserving.

Where SA born & bred players who have a great interstate career used to still contribute to South Australian Football was when they came back to play for SA in interstate games (ie Kernahan, Bradley, Platten etc).

David McKay from memory did get to play in some of those final SOO matches.

As for someone like say Adam Cooney. Bryce Gibbs even Mat Pavlich it will be interesting what happens down the track given their last SA appearence was in Under 18's.

Coming up you would hope someone like Roy Laird would be a walk up start for the SAFHOF when he retires, his 7 premierships in 9 years up with just about any other coach already inducted.

Then there are multi prem players like Slade and the Gowans, Paul Thomas etc or major B&F winners like Mark McKenzie (5 at the Eagles) or Tim Weatherald possibly the last SANFL player to ever break 300 games, How about Brant Chambers who finished about #6 on the all time goal kicker list, James Allan and his 3 Magarey's.

Personally I'd like to see Dennis Browne get in there one day, 44 straight years, well over 1,200 games (not out) covering SANFL on radio and a mentor in is panel show producer role to so many young media people and players coming through the ranks over such a long time.

Given it's run by the SANFL you would hope that it won't end up requiring an AFL career to be deemed to have made a significant contribuition to South Australian Football.
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:

Me too.
It seems odd if you get inducted to 2 different Halls of Fame for essentially the same career in the case of AFL players.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next