Big Phil
MightyEagles
cutterman
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

AFL Reserves - Page 2 Empty Re: AFL Reserves

Post by Lee Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:36 am

Despite all the conspiracy theories from the usual suspects, I believe that none of the clubs will have a bar of an AFL Reserves side.

Thanks for that breference, Chambo, it's very reassuring and Jihn Olsen is reflecting what he knows the clubs are thinking.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:18 pm

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/14091049/keep-your-afl-leftovers/

great news from the west & i totally agree with them
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:55 pm

Well done to the WAFL. Once again we see the WAFL are well ahead of the SANFL in terms of running their own affairs.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:58 pm

The SANFL have recently stated that they won't have a bar of AFL Reserves teams in the SANFL, AH.

I'd like to know what sort of team Port wuld field in the SANFL this week, with all their injuries.

Half a dozen listed players, mostly inexperienced, topped up with a dozen or more amateur league players?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by StrayDog Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:53 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:Well done to the WAFL. Once again we see the WAFL are well ahead of the SANFL in terms of running their own affairs.
redandblack wrote:The SANFL have recently stated that they won't have a bar of AFL Reserves teams in the SANFL, AH.
Correct. For what it's worth, it's the WAFL that has stuffed around with single club AFL alignments in the past, not us.

Aside from a few opinion pieces from "Pierce" in the 'tiser / AdNow, the WAFL seems to be more in the actual news regarding "AFL Reserves" - a fair bit over the last 12 to 18 months. Either West Coast and Fremantle are more determined to have a reserves arrangement than our "local" AFL clubs or, conspiracy theories aside, the West is seen as a thinner end of a proverbial wedge in the broader picture.

If the WAFL, particularly the clubs, seem more organised on this front then it's probably because they've had to be.

Last edited by StrayDog on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:18 am; edited 4 times in total
StrayDog

My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:57 am

I think it's worth remembering that the WAFL had the AFL thrust upon it, whereas the SANFL elected to join the AFL and agreed to terms.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:I think it's worth remembering that the WAFL had the AFL thrust upon it, whereas the SANFL elected to join the AFL and agreed to terms.

Are you sure AH?

Both Vic and WA football were broke at the time, and it forced their hand. 6 out of 12 VFL clubs were technically bankrupt, as were 7 out of the 8 clubs in the WAFL.

The SANFL joined because Port and the VFL forced their hand.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:05 am

Bumping this because of the decision by the WAFC to allow the West Coast Eagles and Freo to align their excess players with East Perth and Peel Thunder. Those two clubs now basically become de facto AFL Reserves teams.

A really sad day for the WAFL and football in general in my view. I can't believe anyone genuinely believes this is good for the WAFL comp, despite the piffle being spouted by the AFL clubs. What sort of competition do they think this leaves them with?

It's going to be interesting to see how WAFL fans react over the next few weeks and what the interest is like next season. To me it's a knee-jerk reaction, the importance of an AFL Reserves team is overstated and the harm it does to a well-functioning, traditional and much loved competition far outweighs the perceived benefits to anyone.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:20 am

What needs to happen is that the remaining WAFL clubs need to boycott them when scheduled to play against them.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:30 pm

It should be remembered that the WAFL clubs didn't get a vote on this issue. The set up is different here, changes to the participants in the comp is a matter to be decided by the clubs.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:00 pm

There will obviously be renewed pressure on the sanfl from the Crows, Power, maybe even the afl and of course Mr Rucci, to do likewise.

Despite John Olsen's decree earlier this year that it won't happen, that doesn't lessen the pressure and rumblings from all these quarters.

Whilst the SA Footy Commission may continue to rebut these overtures, I think their position will only remain strong as long as the 9 clubs are behind them.

However, I would well imagine Port may not be quite so atuned, however, it will all fall apart pretty quickly if the clubs experience and succumb to a divide and conquer attack.

At the end of the day the most important thing is for the sanfl clubs to stay united.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:16 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:There will obviously be renewed pressure on the sanfl from the Crows, Power, maybe even the afl and of course Mr Rucci, to do likewise.

Despite John Olsen's decree earlier this year that it won't happen, that doesn't lessen the pressure and rumblings from all these quarters.

Whilst the SA Footy Commission may continue to rebut these overtures, I think their position will only remain strong as long as the 9 clubs are behind them.

However, I would well imagine Port may not be quite so atuned, however, it will all fall apart pretty quickly if the clubs experience and succumb to a divide and conquer attack.

At the end of the day the most important thing is for the sanfl clubs to stay united.

I wouldn't count on port being loyal to any club they are good at going behind the back, remember 1990 Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by testy on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:16 pm

The AFL clubs haven't thought this through properly.

It's currently an advantage to them to have the SANFL for their players. They've both won premierships under the current system, they only 'lose control' of their players for a very short tiime, very few of their players are played out of position, etc, etc.

Short-sighted, kneejerk stuff, IMO.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:55 pm

redandblack wrote:The AFL clubs haven't thought this through properly.

It's currently an advantage to them to have the SANFL for their players. They've both won premierships under the current system, they only 'lose control' of their players for a very short tiime, very few of their players are played out of position, etc, etc.

Short-sighted, kneejerk stuff, IMO.

absolutely spot on & i'll add as i've said before, firstly while i'd prefer NO AFL listed players playing in the SANFL at all & yes some like Kane Johnson, Steve Salopek & Richard Douglas & some others have entertained me while in Glenelg jumpers they should be playing in the VFL competition, however this point seems to be missed by the 'we need our own reserves team lobby' this is the system we (THE SANFL) have used since 1991 (21 years) & 4 franchises two in Perth & 2 in Adelaide have won 6 premierships & 2 runners up in that time, yes West coast started a few years earlier but both Port & Fremantle started a few years later & can anyone of the now 18 'franchises' say no to a record of 6 flags & 2 runners ups in 21 years ??

ps, this playing in the SANFL reserves i heard S.Rowe say on the radio, i presume that if this happened they would be playing the team having the bye & being non affected in terms of the premiership table
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:43 am

WCE and Freo, as stated in this post, have gone down this single club alignment path before, only to result in both franchises having their worst ever AFL seasons. Let them do it I say. Wink

But keep your dirty hands off our SANFL! Twisted Evil
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2