Flag No.10
Feathers
bayman
Big Phil
whybother
19 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Woodville-West Torrens 2019...all discussions  - Page 6 Empty Re: Woodville-West Torrens 2019...all discussions

Post by bayman Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:38 pm

Glenelg v Eagles this Friday night in the womens league

Noarlunga oval at 5.20pm
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Woodville-West Torrens 2019...all discussions  - Page 6 Empty Re: Woodville-West Torrens 2019...all discussions

Post by Premiers Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:22 pm

Feathers,
Re "which talls have we available for key forward positions", I recalled a likely type in our U18s, think his name was Coff (or something like that) Approx 194cm. Strong attack on ball despite likely built (bit like a young Westhoff from Power). I read somewhere that he's in Power's special squad for pre-season training but could be available to Eagles start of season.
For a tall defender, Schmusch from the U18s/Seconds showed a bit last season.
Hell! Disappointing we couldn't have kept Summerton who went to South a few years ago for more opportunity and now is their vice-captain CHB.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Feathers Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:35 am

Jamie Coff has another season in the U18s. Took my eye last year in several matches. Is in the SANFL/AFL academy squad along with Jackson Mead. Kurt Slaven said it would be difficult for those two to train with the seniors pre-season with all their academy commitments. Coff I think would mainly play U18s and maybe a few reserves games. I hope Jackson Mead plays reserves and pushes for some league games, really like him. Don't think Schmusch will make it. Not quite tall enough. Seems to be a bit lazy and "near enough is good enough" seems to be his attitude. Very frustating to watch.
Always liked Summerton when he played reserves but was always too negative in the league team. Might have blossomed under the new coach. Shouldn't get rid of talls. By playing Summerton down back we could afford to play von Bertouch up forward but that's now in the past.
Feathers
Feathers

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:44 am

I think both Jamie Coff and Pickett will push higher than U18 level this year after the midyear mandatory U18 championship appearances. Sadly for supporters, Pickett (certainly) and Jamie Coff (maybe) are AFL bound.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:16 pm

Premiers wrote:I think both Jamie Coff and Pickett will push higher than U18 level this year after the midyear mandatory U18 championship appearances. Sadly for supporters, Pickett (certainly) and Jamie Coff (maybe) are AFL bound.

Just a thought of mine Premiers with a new coach . Will the Eagles try more younger players than in previous years .
I know the Eagles have used the odd younger player but will this year see more step up and perform.
Of course it’s just a thought may not actually happen .
But a new coach you never know .
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:54 am

Patrick Giuffreda and Luke Thompson will again co-captain the club in 2019 as a part of a six-man leadership group.

After being voted in by their peers for a fifth consecutive season, both players said it was a great honour to be able to continue to captain the Woodville West Torrens Football Club.

“There is no greater honour for me than to captain our great Club. I love the Eagles and look forward to driving us towards the ultimate success in 2019,” said Giuffreda.

“To be voted in again by my peers is something very special to me. I can’t wait to get out there and play footy with my best mates,” said Thompson.

2016 Club Champion Jared Petrenko has been named Vice-Captain after also featuring prominently amongst the votes from his peers. 2017 Club Champion Joseph Sinor has been included for the first time as has midfielder Louis Sharrad and defender Matthew Goldsworthy.

Senior coach Sam Lonergan said, “It’s a great achievement to be voted in by your peers and it gives our entire squad ownership and confidence in the direction of our Club for 2019. All six players have their own leadership styles which is a sign of our squads’ maturity during the selection process. I’m very pleased to be working with these leaders during 2019.”

2019 WWTFC Leadership Group
Patrick Giuffreda (Captain)
Luke Thompson (Captain)
Jared Petrenko (Vice-Captain)
Matthew Goldsworthy
Louis Sharrad
Joseph Sinor
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:01 pm

Watched Eagles U18s play a high standard trial match against Alice Springs Redtails. Typical of indigenous teams, the Redtail players were quick, balanced, elusive and skillful. Eagles won by approx. 23 points. Of the 25 Eagles listed, 6 were from our country zone, 19 suburban. Included 5 sixteen-year-olds.
Pleasing to see a couple of genuine talls rucking for the Eagles which our junior teams have not had for many years - Henry Smith 16 years old 199cm 78kg (from Blackwood FC) and Dale Pearce 17 next month, 195cm, 85kg (from Port District FC). And at those tender ages, there might be another 3-4cm growth to be added. Smith dominated the centre bounces although he had little opposition of height but showed good leaping and skills.
Bad luck we'll have to wait for maybe 2022 to see them pushing for league selection !!!!!!!!!!!
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by goddy11 Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:02 pm

Premiers wrote:Watched Eagles U18s play a high standard trial match against Alice Springs Redtails. Typical of indigenous teams, the Redtail players were quick, balanced, elusive and skillful. Eagles won by approx. 23 points. Of the 25 Eagles listed, 6 were from our country zone, 19 suburban. Included 5 sixteen-year-olds.
Pleasing to see a couple of genuine talls rucking for the Eagles which our junior teams have not had for many years - Henry Smith 16 years old 199cm 78kg (from Blackwood FC) and Dale Pearce  17 next month, 195cm, 85kg (from Port District FC). And at those tender ages, there might be another 3-4cm growth to be added. Smith dominated the centre bounces although he had little opposition of height but showed good leaping and skills.  
Bad luck we'll have to wait for maybe 2022 to see them pushing for league selection !!!!!!!!!!!

Were the Redtails a senior team or an U18 like WWT. The lad from Blackwood, how did we get him? Not in our zone.
Good feedback Premiers.
goddy11
goddy11

Teams : crows,ealges,

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:56 pm

Goddy,
No information on whether the Redtails were an U18 team but from appearances, it looked as though at least third of their players were 23 years plus. But having seen several U18 matches last year including the U18 grand final, the standard of this trial was as good as those.
Henry Smith 199cm comes from the Blackwood FC but doesn't necessarily live at Blackwood. Same for U16s Lukas Cooke 187cm 66kg listed as Westminster as local club (Glenelg zone) but may be living in Eagles zone.

Incidentally, U16s have a "tall" also, bearing in mind that at 15 years of age, still expect another 3-5cm growth - Cody Schiller, from Eagles country zone RSMU 194cm 91 kg.
These "talls" are like gold for us if we can develope them.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:33 am

Any info on the trial game last night?
In particular, how did Foote, Bruce and West perform?
Is Lonergan injured?
In the reserves trial, how did young Kysiaah Pickett go?

Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by goddy11 Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:01 pm

All I can find from the WWTFC facebook

Final scores in last night’s trial matches.
League
Eagles 11.14 (80) def by Central 15.7 (97)
Goal Scorers: Jack Hayes 2, James Boyd 2
Reserves
Eagles 17.12 (114) def Central 8.4 (52)
Goal Scorers: Grady Armfield 3, Ryan Langcake 3

Eagles WWTFC  Under 16's Round 1 - Central.

Eagles 12.11 (83) def Central 9.9 (63)

I'm not sure how the U18's went in trial on Thursday.
goddy11
goddy11

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:48 pm

25 scoring shots (against 22) suggest they might be playing a more attractive & attacking brand of football
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:02 pm

bayman wrote:25 scoring shots (against 22) suggest they might be playing a more attractive & attacking brand of football

I've seen a report by an Eagles fan on the nest .
He wasn't happy it is a trial game we didn't play everyone hopefully we get better .
The seconds certainly played well
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by goddy11 Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:05 pm

bayman wrote:25 scoring shots (against 22) suggest they might be playing a more attractive & attacking brand of football
scoring points may not equate to attacking football. Good thing its a trial game. The SANFL should perhaps give some mention of results of all games. Just to increase interest.
goddy11
goddy11

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:59 pm

goddy11 wrote:
scoring points may not equate to attacking football. Good thing its a trial  game. The SANFL should perhaps give some mention of results of all games. Just to increase interest.

Scores are actually irrelevant in trial matches, we didn’t even have a scoreboard at Thebarton & it made no difference, I would have thought that Glenelg were marginally in front but both sides would have been happy with what they watched
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Feathers Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:13 am

Premiers wrote:Goddy,
No information on whether the Redtails were an U18 team but from appearances, it looked as though at least third of their players were 23 years plus. But having seen several U18 matches last year including the U18 grand final, the standard of this trial was as good as those.
Henry Smith 199cm comes from the Blackwood FC but doesn't necessarily live at Blackwood. Same for U16s Lukas Cooke 187cm 66kg listed as Westminster as local club (Glenelg zone) but may be living in Eagles zone.

Incidentally, U16s have a "tall" also, bearing in mind that at 15 years of age, still expect another 3-5cm growth - Cody Schiller, from Eagles country zone RSMU 194cm 91 kg.
These "talls" are like gold for us if we can develope them.

Henry Smith is the son of former West Torrens player Justin Smith. Smith was originally from the Modbury area and played as a left footed wingman (1985 to 1988 -37 games). Henry would be at the Eagles under the father son rule. He also has a younger son that plays in the Eagles under age teams.
Feathers
Feathers

Back to top Go down

Post by goddy11 Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:17 am

Love the father/son. We missed on scruff Hanna's son but luckily got Rowey's son in a twist.
goddy11
goddy11

Back to top Go down

Post by Feathers Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:52 am

Also lost Jeff Graham's son to North Adelaide, a former state U18 captain and now a premiership player at Richmond. Jeff came from Modbury when we had the split suburban zone, some in the west and some at Tea Tree Gully. He grew up with friends at North and Norwood had no real connection to the Eagles. Billy Stretch lived in our zone and his father an ex player, he should have been at the Eagles but all his mates played at the Bay. Jimmy Rowe actually lived in our zone and his mates were at the Eagles.
Feathers
Feathers

Back to top Go down

Post by Feathers Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:03 am

Actually it didn't. Central's score of 15.7 showed they had much better and easier shots at goal. The Eagles defended poorly and couldn't cope with the quick Central sortees into their forward area. The Eagles 11.14 was basically because of a poor forward system, as per usual, no method coming into attack. Eagles were a mess. The coach must quickly decide on player positions. As usual the Eagles have no height around the field and lack pace. A few youngsters in the reserves must be looked at.
Feathers
Feathers

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:16 am

Feathers wrote:

Actually it didn't. Central's score of 15.7 showed they had much better and easier shots at goal. The Eagles defended poorly and couldn't cope with the quick Central sortees into their forward area. The Eagles 11.14 was basically because of a poor forward system, as per usual, no method coming into attack. Eagles were a mess. The coach must quickly decide on player positions. As usual the Eagles have no height around the field and lack pace. A few youngsters in the reserves must be looked at.

Feathers you would know better than me . Did all the new recruits play ?
And were the seconds playing the new game plan seeing they won by a larger margin .
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Feathers Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:34 am

Toumpas (ankle clean out) Jesse Lonergan (hamstring) did not play along with Luke Thompson (driver). Joe Hienjus (league/reserves) also did not play. Heard that Jimmy T. will miss the first three matches. The seconds played a much better style of game but that might be because of the quality of the opposition. The reserves took on the game and ran hard and looked quite skilful.
Feathers
Feathers

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:50 am

Feathers wrote:Toumpas (ankle clean out) Jesse Lonergan (hamstring) did not play along with Luke Thompson (driver). Joe Hienjus (league/reserves) also did not play. Heard that Jimmy T. will miss the first three matches. The seconds played a much better style of game but that might be because of the quality of the opposition. The reserves took on the game and ran hard and looked quite skilful.

Thanks feathers
Any of the tassie lads play ?
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:34 pm

With no Luke Thompson, explains why Fort (5 goals) had a day out.
For the past 2 seasons, we've had poor entry into our forward line both from our midfielders and wingman. Apart from Lewis and Petrenko, our midfielders lack penetrating kicks to position. We have badly lacked a key forward of any size and it's disappointing to see Westies pick up Jade Cleland, and North also picked up a key forward + (can't remember specifically, a couple of other clubs). There is no "tall" forward in the Reserves pipeline either for 2020 so we need to look at potential recruits outside the club early. Have enough midfielders and 178cm types.
Worrying signs already for 2019

Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:04 pm

Premiers wrote:We have badly lacked a key forward of any size

Worrying signs already for 2019

Forgotten Wundke ? (From when he was playing)

One trial game & your worried, give me a break, I do not know how many times I’ve said it but trial games mean absolutely nothing
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:16 pm

And Cleeland is yet to prove he is up to League standard. Tall forwards are hard to come by these days. Which is kind of odd because AFL teams are playing fewer of them, so there should be more available. But I think we're going through a phase where most goals are going to be kicked by mids and small/medium forwards.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next