West v The Bye

5 posters

Go down

West v The Bye Empty West v The Bye

Post by Lee Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:22 pm

It's a strange feeling, not having much interest in a season.

Usually, like most, I hang on every kick, whether it's Westies or another game that might have a bearing on the Blood's finals chances. Usually, I know the premiership table (the 'ladder', now, it seems) exactly, almost down to the percentage decimal point. This year, it all seems academic, let alone weird. They tell me Sturt and South are on top and Norwood are near the bottom. (Don't mention the bottom, I did once, but I think I got away with it).

I've been away and missed 4 games, came back to the State game bye, watched us get smashed by Central, now it's another bloody bye. It's not the SANFL's fault, the clubs wanted only 18 games, so there's not much footy. Right now, that's not a bad thing for a Blood's tragic.

It's not that long ago I walked out of Adelaide Oval carrying the premiership cup back to the clubrooms, feeling pretty pleased with the world. Then the draft cost us 3 players, but none who had played much senior footy, so not too bad. The rookie draft was a disaster, with Snelling, Beech and Keough suddenly gone and most recruits well decided by that time. Milne retired, then late in pre-season injuries struck Porplyzia, Hartlett, Schmidt, Homburg, Anderson, Brind and several others.

That's not the only reason why we're 0-9, of course. That's for the coaches to work out and for some soul-searching.

I've sat on the bench watching us previously get thumped each week, often expecting it against all my hopes and that wasn't a problem. I knew better times were ahead, but this is different. This is incomprehensible and uncharted territory. It hurts.

We'll always be the 2015 premiers, a team that took the game on, entertained and achieved. A team that justified the loyalty of so many long-suffering Westies' supporters and pumped life into a struggling club. Perhaps the effort was too much, perhaps uncharted territory takes time to understand, but there's no future in bemoaning 0-9. We've had a history of underachieving, interspersed with flashes of brilliance. We need to make a history of consistent success.

So I've gradually not been too much interested in this season outside Westies. The Eagles will go top, but I'm hoping for a Panthers premiership.

We'll have a better second half of the season and perhaps find a few new, young players, but the foundation needs a bit of attention.

West have finished in the top 3 in 3 of the past 5 years. That's where a club needs to be, so this season is now about making sure we get back there, quickly. That has to be a crusade and lots of hard work. We've gone from a financial basket-case to being relatively financially sound, now we have to do the same on the field.

Perhaps there's still plenty of interest in this season after all.

Go the Bloods!!!!!!!!!!
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

West v The Bye Empty Re: West v The Bye

Post by Thiele Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:29 pm

Go Bloods
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:40 am

"We've had a history of underachieving, interspersed with flashes of brilliance. We need to make a history of consistent success."

Immensely frustrating it must be. The brilliance could be stated as some of the most brilliant our competition has seen ( see '83 ) yet throw in decades of drought and that brilliance seems almost by accident not design.

I feel for the stuck on blood and tars, just when there was some light the curtains were drawn again....
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:16 am

Nice passionate post Lee. You have shown as recently as 2015 that you are a club capable of going from Zero to Hero in a short space of time, so you may well be able to do so again in 2017.

Unfortunately though, it's hard to replace the 6 you've lost in the draft. And with possibly the likes of Hartlett and Porplyzia close to the end, it's a tough ask to replace so much quality - Then bed them in to the club and structures etc., and get the desired level of experience up to speed as quickly as possible.

No doubt 2017 will see an improved Bloods on what we've seen thus far this season.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks, Booney and Scrunch.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:13 pm

Even though the bye team will get 23 to 12 frees i do not think we will lose this weekend.

Well writen lethal, you nailed my feelings as a rusted on west supporter.

oldfella
oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down