Big Phil
Flag No.10
bayman
7 posters

Go down

Channel 9 Cricket Commentary Empty Channel 9 Cricket Commentary

Post by Lee Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:17 am

Fairly long, but wonderful article.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/feb/13/channel-nine-destroying-cricket-legacy
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Channel 9 Cricket Commentary Empty Re: Channel 9 Cricket Commentary

Post by bayman Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:33 pm

i'd agree with about 80% of that
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:43 pm

I agree with 100% of it.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by The Hatchet Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:56 pm

more than one sanfl commentator that should read it and consider.
The Hatchet
The Hatchet

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:30 am

The Hatchet wrote:more than one sanfl commentator that should read it and consider.

I love how you always find a way to have a dig at the SANFL commentators !!!
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:34 am

I don't think he was referring to all the SANFL commentators, Phil. He said 'more than one'.

I think one commentator in particular would be well advised to take note and not waffle on about non-football things while the ball goes from one end to the other and he suddenly calls 'and it's a goal'.

It would also comfortably apply to some of the execrable efforts on the live streaming games.

We're lucky to have several excellent commentators, but constructive criticism should be acceptable.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:04 pm

in terms of the 9 commentators mentioned in the article;

Warnie
A knowledgeable bloke that let's his emotions get the better of him.
He just can't help himself get sucked into the blokie banter.
It takes over and I find it hard to cope with his commentary much of the time.

Nicholas
Don't mind him, at least he is restrained. Probably why he drives the bus in front of camera. Probably goes into that mode too much and doesn't offer observations on technical points enough. I think he should wear the bone jacket as a testament to Richie.

Taylor
Contrary to the article, I consider Tubby does offer his insights into what is happening and why. Maybe the fact that he played with most of the others and knows them too well creeps into the banter too much.

Healy, Slater
They are very similar to Taylor in outlook having been through the same system.
Maybe one of the three would do and I would pick Taylor.
I don't rate Healy and Slats particularly as commentators.

Brayshaw
He used to be more like Nicholas in his restraint.
But too many winters with Gazza (Lyon), Sam, Billy, Crawf et al has turned into a more frenzied speaker trying to strive for superlatives at every turn.

Lee
Lee hasn't shown anything different and much like Healy and Slater.
Probably don't need him.

Hussey
A bit early yet perhaps.
Hussey is the only incumbent of the modern game and has provided some insight to current thinking. He could be good, we'll have to see.

Lawry
Well Bill is Bill. Life as we know it doesn't exist outside of the greater Melbourne suburban area. Maybe in latter years Bill hasn't been able to wipe the pigeon shite out of his eyes to see what's going on elsewhere, but at least he's entertaining for the Boxing Day test alone.

Chappelli
How do I criticise my all time favourite cricketer?
When I grew up playing my brother in the backyard, I was always Chappelli.

He is the only remaining commentator from the original 9 team going back to the end of the WSC era. He was good foil to Tony Greig and also Bill Lawry. Both have suffered under Chappelli's sharp wit. But he has no mates to do that to anymore.
He is always a keen observer on the game, but I sense (particularly through his articles) that he is becoming a bit bitter and twisted on where the game is going.
He will never bite his lip (he can't do it), but are we getting to the point that nobody is listening anymore?

I still like to hear what Chappelli has to say, but I am biased of course.

Richie
There will only ever be one Richie Benaud.
But Richie has not even been gone 12 months and his legacy seemingly hasn't taken hold on these younger blokes in the 9 box. Pity.

Maybe the younger set like to hear a more emotional version of commentary laced with anecdotes and discussion from yesteryear. Is that something akin to the rise in the appeal of T20. Let's face it does T20 even need commentators? They sure as shite aren't going to critique your batting technique in that version of the game. Freddy, Punter, Junior, Flem, Gilly and those guys commentate like its a footy game. It probably is!

I would think however, that channel 9 is well aware of what they are delivering and probably comfortable with it.

Just as players do, maybe the commentators need to adapt to the different forms of the game.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by The Hatchet Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:55 pm

Lee wrote:I don't think he was referring to all the SANFL commentators, Phil.  He said 'more than one'.

I think one commentator in particular would be well advised to take note and not waffle on about non-football things while the ball goes from one end to the other and he suddenly calls 'and it's a goal'.

It would also comfortably apply to some of the execrable efforts on the live streaming games.

We're lucky to have several excellent commentators, but constructive criticism should be acceptable.

quite right, would think reasonable feedback would be fair for that type of job. otherwise everyone would think they are doing a great job and never try to improve. callers can't help what their voice sounds like but what they do with it can be in their control.
The Hatchet
The Hatchet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:20 pm

Good summary, Chambo. I pretty well agree with most of it, but the overall Channel 9 package is so over-the-top 'blokey' that it's vomitworthy.

Warne's a d...head and some of his comments are those usually heard in the schoolyard. 'It's come down heads. Head is good, etc, etc....'.

Healey lost me when he described a player going off for a quick break as 'going off for something that rhymes with stump'. Seriously.

I'm not a huge Jim Maxwell fan, but the discussion and comments on ABC radio are light years better than the TV crap.

Even the Channel 10 Big bash commentary leaves me wanting just a bit of peace and quiet for a few seconds now and again, instead of listening to their constant 'in' jokes.

As for football commentary, some of the professionals on ABC radio (generally interstate) are fantastic. It's easier to call AFL, given the crowd background, but I feel the local commentators could profit from listening to some of them regarding tempo and change of tone.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:08 pm

Here's a theory. Not sure whether it stacks up, but I put it out there.

Are our games (AFL, NRL, Cricket) becoming so PC-fests that the players almost can't express themselves in any manner, for fear of falling foul (lot of F's there!) of their respective player moral codes?

Without getting into the issues surrounding Mitchell Pearce's brain fade, the networks were clambouring all over themselves to air it first. I heard that the lady who filmed it and was upset with him got paid $60K for the footage. That behaviour and the networks buying it is just as reprehensible as what it was about.

Whilst we are not talking about players of any code express themselves to that extent, even if you say something just a little bit alternative to the collective sporting (media) morals, it becomes a sensational harpoon-fest.

OK here is the thing, are these ex-player commentator types expressing what the players (generally) are fearful of saying? Some of them like Warne, just say the first thing that comes into their head. Is this some form of replacement for the loss of sporting "characters" in many of these codes.

EG: Jarman n the radio last night harpooning Pearce. Is this the same bloke who said something derogatory against women a mere 18 months ago and was suspended by MMM?

EG: Sam Newman about 3 years ago. 6 week suspension for crossing the line on his outlandish comments. He comes back and "play on" as per usual. Channel 9 cannot cook the goose that lays the golden egg can they?

Gentlemen, "pot, kettle, black"! .....let he who has not sinned cast the first stone...etc etc.

I just think we (particularly the media) all just need to take a chill pill and let blokes be themselves within reason of course. Are we all so prudish these days?

And this sort of shite goes beyond sport, it is in all forms of media in all walks of life.

The sporting commentators of today seem to have an easier path in their blokey statements and stories and transgressions of good propriety. So the question is whether this is intentional and even encouraged by the media management?

The mantra: Players must be altar-boy role models, but the media can please themselves.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:44 pm

Great article, sums up what most cricket viewers agree on. That the commentary is crap. My family listens to the ABC radio coverage even though it is out of sync with the TV as the TV commentators are woeful.

Brayshaw should be banned from all sports commentary. He doesn't commentate cricket or football well, he barracks like he has just turned up from a quick drinking session with his mates and it is full of Kapow and "Did you see that?". Taylor and Slater in small doses are OK but they both have a tendency to waffle on get distracted.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down