brodlach
Lee
countrycousin
howthewestwaswon
bayman
Admin
14 posters

Go down

Sturt v Eagles at Envestra Park Saturday Empty Sturt v Eagles at Envestra Park Saturday

Post by Admin Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Neither side has looked overly impressive in the trials, but this should be an interesting game.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sturt v Eagles at Envestra Park Saturday Empty Re: Sturt v Eagles at Envestra Park Saturday

Post by bayman Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:27 pm

i'd think the Eagles probably although the ''scoreboard'' flattered them in their trial against North, the make up of how many AFL players are representing Sturt will be crucial in the final analysis
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Sturt v Eagles at Envestra Park Saturday Empty Re: Sturt v Eagles at Envestra Park Saturday

Post by howthewestwaswon Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:47 pm

I think Sturt could get up here by 1-2 goals.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:11 pm

I'm not really concerned with how many AFL players are available for Sturt in round 1. Rather who we have available. Tambling is always good value for us and Graham will be important in the absence of Kurtze, who hasn't played a trial due to a back injury. If we decide not to risk Coad, then Hombsch would be handy, besides which I'd like to see him in action. I'm told he's an exciting player. Beyond that I'd honestly sooner see what some of these young fellows can do in a real league game. Krause, Page, Vitkunas, Smith, Pearce, Patrick Wilson.These guys, along with others coming through the reserves, carry our hopes for improvement in the near future. There may not be any AFL players next year anyway. I think it's more important at this stage that we aim to put together a winning side from the players who are going to be with us in the longer term.
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Yes, that's the right way to look at it.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:27 am

Is Hombsch the brother of Nick from West?
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:49 am

Yes, he is.

Nick is also very promising.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:51 am

Cheers, why is he playing for Sturt and not West?
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:40 pm

brodlach wrote:Cheers, why is he playing for Sturt and not West?
Sturt recruited Jack Hombsch as a 16 year old from Roxby Downs. He was drafted straight from our U18s. I didn't know he had a younger brother, so I'm wondering how we missed out on him. Wink
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Roxby Downs was previously unaligned, but is now West Adelaide zoned.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Not sure what to make of Eagles for 2013, but I'll go for them 7 points. Round 1 tipping is a lottery.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by dedja Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:24 pm

Whilst most will hope Sturt improve both on and off the field, I can't see their improvement coming on the field.

The Eagles wasted last year and it would be sure folly to do that again.

Eagles to make an early statement with a 58 point thumping.
dedja
dedja

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:31 pm

Eagles got off to a shocking start in 2012 but I can't see that happening again. Sturt will be better but not enough to make a difference. WWT by a cruisy 30 points
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Eagles for a win here.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdofPrey Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:38 am

Sturt by 15-20pts.
First home game at Unley and Sturt will be desperate to put on a good show for their fans esp after all the off field problems.
If at Woody might have gone for the Eags.
BirdofPrey
BirdofPrey

Teams : Eagles
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:16 pm

FULL TIME @ ENVESTRA PARK - UNLEY

LEAGUE:

Final Scores

Eagles - 18.14 = 122

Sturt - 15.6 = 96

Eagles win by 26 points

GOAL KICKERS:

Eagles - A.Ainger 4, L.Staple, L.Carey, M.Goldsworthy, C.Ellis-Yolman, A.Poole, C.Hall 2, A.Rowntree, A.Grocke 1

Sturt - Z.Vitkunas 4, M.Duldig, M.Coad, L.Krause 2, B.Kane, A.Riley, J.Greenslade, T.Hurley, A.Hunter 1
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Just got home how the hell did that happen !!
Parry took over the ruck Sumner exploded as did Ellis yeoman .Ainger and Carey thank you Ron Fuller
Poole should have played last year!!
I'm still in shock loving footy again!!
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by MightyEagles Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:11 pm

Both underage Eagles sides defeated Sturt down at the Fortress.
MightyEagles
MightyEagles

Teams : Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:16 pm

mickyj wrote:Just got home how the hell did that happen !!
Parry took over the ruck Sumner exploded as did Ellis yeoman .Ainger and Carey thank you Ron Fuller

i said this at half time to a few people including r&b who can verify this, ''i think they've (Wwt) lifted the intensity, the rain will help them because the bigger bodies will crash in & end up wearing them down''

ps, thankfully i was right as i got my multi up, profit with footy so far this year Cool
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:24 am

bayman wrote:
mickyj wrote:Just got home how the hell did that happen !!

i said this at half time to a few people including r&b who can verify this, ''i think they've (Wwt) lifted the intensity, the rain will help them because the bigger bodies will crash in & end up wearing them down''

ps, thankfully i was right as i got my multi up, profit with footy so far this year Cool

Well done bayman you showed faith in my team where I lost it .
Just wait until the Eagles forward line starts actually working and midfield gets on top early !
And my lad was with me saying the rain will help the eagles let it pour !!!
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:16 am

Westies are playing the Eagles next week, so I thought I would head to Unley to have a look. It's always nice to watch a game without being involved and being there can't be beaten.

Wow! Didn't Sturt look impressive in the first half. Graham was giving a master class in the ruck and Sturt ran the ball at every opportunity. Vitkunas had been good in the trials and bobbed up in the right spots. Coad was handy and Sturt easily kicked away.

I watched the Eagles closely. Slow, vulnerable and uninterested.

Game over at half-time.

Bayman didn't think so. The rain had started and he told me that would suit the Eagles and they'd come back. I'd caught up with Chambo before the game and thought he'd be pretty happy at half-time, but Bayman had seen a bit of footy in his time and he was right once again.

Where did Sturt go?

Parry lifted in ruck, Ainger had been dangerous all day and the Eagles lifted all over the ground. To me, though, one player made all the difference. I don't know where he started, but Goldsworthy on a wing was the spark that had been missing. He was terrific and was in everything.

Just sheer weight of possession and a huge lift in intensity made all the
difference. The Eagles just dominated from there and it finished as a one-sided affair.

Sturt showed that their best is good enough and the Eagles showed the same, but their laziness in the first half was a worry.

From a neutral point of view, I thought the umpires were OK.

Next week, Eagles v West at Woodville Maughan Thiem Hyundai Park Stadium Oval Park. Can't wait.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:28 pm

as r&b stated in his last sentence of the above post....

''Next week, Eagles v West at Woodville Maughan Thiem Hyundai Park Stadium Oval Park. Can't wait.''

i hope the commentators don't say this too often, only because i can see a ''coast to coast' goal happening before the sentence is delivered to the listening audience Very Happy

bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:20 pm

bayman wrote:as r&b stated in his last sentence of the above post....

''Next week, Eagles v West at Woodville Maughan Thiem Hyundai Park Stadium Oval Park. Can't wait.''

i hope the commentators don't say this too often, only because i can see a ''coast to coast' goal happening before the sentence is delivered to the listening audience Very Happy

ABC TV commentators (who are covering this game) do not refer to any of the SANFL grounds by their sponsored name. Suburban name only...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:40 pm

Big Phil wrote:
bayman wrote:as r&b stated in his last sentence of the above post....

ABC TV commentators (who are covering this game) do not refer to any of the SANFL grounds by their sponsored name. Suburban name only...

ok, i didn't know who had the telecast or where the broadcasters are set for this week, was just having a bit of fun & the ABC way is the way it should be Wink
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down