blueandwhite
Ben W
Admin
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tracking your Team - South Adelaide Empty Tracking your Team - South Adelaide

Post by Admin Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:11 am

Some of the usual turnover at Noarlunga. They're not far away, but can they take that extra step needed?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tracking your Team - South Adelaide Empty Re: Tracking your Team - South Adelaide

Post by Ben W Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Recruiting will yet again be critical for us, Casley has been released back to Williamstown which will open up another space on our import list, Casley would likely have become a good player in time but I would suggest that the import restriction makes that process a little more difficult and after having got a good group of juniors in I think our focus will be more towards lads that can have an instant impact in our side this season.

We have a number of zoned lads as well as invited kids from outside our zone training with us at present for a place on our lists, several of them look like they can handle themselves pretty well, will be interesting to see which of them also wins a spot for next year.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Tracking your Team - South Adelaide Empty Re: Tracking your Team - South Adelaide

Post by blueandwhite Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:42 am

I reckon even the most pessimistic Panther supporter would be feeling a real sense of anticipation coming into season 2013.
The club it seems has recruited very well, more than covering its losses in personnel from last season. Some depth has been added in key positions, something the club has missed desperately in recent years.
There is a need to address our terrible W/L record at home and a need to find some poise under pressure and win a few close ones that cost us so dearly last year.
Im definitely not one to make rash statements, but....
Im feeling pretty confident we can go deep into the finals THIS YEAR, and really challenge for the flag the following year. Shocked Surprised Very Happy
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:44 pm

b&w, if you

''can go deep into the finals THIS YEAR, and really challenge for the flag the following year. Shocked Surprised Very Happy''

if you are correct in your assessment of ''THIS YEAR'' why couldn't ''THIS YEAR'' be a huge challenge for the flag as well ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:02 pm

bayman wrote:b&w, if you

''can go deep into the finals THIS YEAR, and really challenge for the flag the following year. Shocked Surprised Very Happy''

if you are correct in your assessment of ''THIS YEAR'' why couldn't ''THIS YEAR'' be a huge challenge for the flag as well ?

...YEP, Well, why not? ........pretty sure most teams at this time of the year have an ultimate aim to win the flag!
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:04 pm

I picked South for bottom last year and wasn't far off. Not that I thought they were that bad, but I thought their defensive weakness might be a big problem.

I see them improving rapidly this season. Good enough forward line, brilliant mid-field, stronger defence now.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:13 pm

From Adelaide Now:

PRIMED: Ron Fuller says his 2013 squad has a different complexion than ones in years gone by. Source: AdelaideNow

IT'S taken four seasons to build it but South coach Ron Fuller says he now has the squad he wants.
Now it is time to instil in it the ruthlessness he has always demanded during a decade-long SANFL coaching career.

Despite statistically going backwards last year, Fuller and his football department have slowly developedthe squad from a side that won just one match when he took the helm in 2009.

Over the past two seasons, the Panthers have shown glimpses they could be building a team which can mix it with the best in the league, but been found out for a lack of depth, and a killer extinct.

With few departures at the end of last season and another active off-season of recruitment Fuller believes he now has depth.

He says the next challenge is developing a killer instinct and winning culture, something he did successfully at Woodville-West Torrens, which he led to four grand finals and one premiership in his nine seasons.

"When you come in to a club and you look at the list you hope it can change it pretty quickly, but the reality is it can take a long time and it has," Fuller said.

"But I think the squad has a different complexion about it now.

"Even when you look at it on paper, there is a good nucleus of players who have played 40 to 80 league games now, so I'm comfortable with the squad we have, but the reality is to be successful ... takes a lot of hard work.

"It's about being able to play every quarter of every game.

"South Adelaide has always been able to play a good quarter of football here and there but it's about learning to play three or four good quarters every week.

"I think we are learning that and I think we've come a long way," he said.

South has again looked interstate to stock up its squad ahead of the 2013 season.

The Panthers last week rounded out their 2013 recruiting by signing another pair of Victorians and a Queenslander.

Key position player Brett Eddy joins South from Collingwood's VFL side, where he was a regular in 2011 before a knee reconstruction sidelined him for much of 2012.

Jordan Taylor, also a key position player, finished third in TAC Cup club Murray Bushrangers' best and fairest last season, while versatile defender Tom Fields arrives at Noarlunga from leading QAFL club Labrador.

Panthers coach Ron Fuller, said Taylor and Eddy would boost the club's key position stocks, an area of weakness last year, while Fields could be used in a number of roles.

"(Eddy) was highly regarded at Collingwood, so it will be a matter of getting him back up to match fitness," Fuller said.

"Taylor is a really good lad who was a leader at the Murray Bushrangers, he could play forward or back for depending on where we have a need.

"Fields trained with Essendon and wasn't far away from being picked up. He can play on tall or small forwards and he has a beautiful kick."

The trio follow the signing of hard bodied midfielder Brede Seccull, also from Collingwood's VFL team, and recycled SANFL players John McDonald (Sturt) and Roland Ah Chee (Norwood).

South selected former Werribee key player, now Crows rookie, Kyle Hartigan, who should be a ready-made key defender if he is not upgraded to Adelaide's senior list.

Teenage Port Adelaide Power draftee Mason Shaw is yet another key position option to arrive via the mini draft.

I agree, I think South will be big improvers in 2013.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:29 pm

I always thought they had good players, but also had a lingering culture that did not have that 'killer instinct' that Ron is talking about.

As they are basically everyone's second favourite club, I do hope they have success in the future.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by The Hatchet Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:18 am

panfers are gonna miss a couple of wise heads that were in the coaching box but are gone now. gonna leave a lot on ronnys shoulders now, and gotta hope the new players stick around a bit
The Hatchet
The Hatchet

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:20 pm

who is Souths tackling coach ? the former Sturt tackling coach who was an Olympian i believe, also the tackling coach is there once a week at Flinders Uni i hear, they tell me they look extremely fit but haven't bulked up much, most look too lightly framed
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:04 am

Apparently, Wundke has been craving up the training track pre season Smile

The size of South is one of their negatives about them.

Small side but probably IMO one of the quickest.
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Josh Thewlis has replaced Nick Murphy as Captain.
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Question without notice.

How long have the Panthers been wearing the Guernsey with the SAF logo on the front of same?, this would be useful info in an question put to me by Bayman on the NFC - Tracking your team. Also in what year did South Adelaide play its first game in the SANFL?

Cheers,
Go Legs
Go Legs

My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:52 pm

South were one of the original clubs, weren't they? Inaugural premiers?
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:02 pm

http://australianfootball.com/clubs/bio/South%2BAdelaide/320
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:38 pm

despite a shoulder problem is the new midfield coach contemplating playing if needed ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:29 pm

South are older than Norwood by one year, 1877.

Originally our players along with the other sides of the same era just wore any combination of the clubs colours, navy blue and white. When we adopted official guernseys our guernsey was very similar to what Geelong currently wear but with more hoops - and a cap!

We also had a jumper for a couple of seasons that had the S and the A placed next to each other rather than crossed over, I have begged the club several times to bring it out for heritage round but no luck as yet!

For what its worth, my favourite SAFC Guernsey is the 1970's version of a far more plainer S and A crossed over than the scripted figure we have now, but each to their own!
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:38 pm

Ben W wrote:

We also had a jumper for a couple of seasons that had the S and the A placed next to each other rather than crossed over, I have begged the club several times to bring it out for heritage round but no luck as yet!

there is a picture of this jumper that was in a budget within the last 3 years, before reading the article i thought it was going to be a story of a past South Australian State player Embarassed Embarassed
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Here are some of the guernseys from the South Premiership years:
http://www.safc.com.au/images/safc%20premiership%20panels.pdf?311f4775d7efe0c12fcc34a051030c86=65072d5d16cffe06a992b52b7a95ea8e

Unfortunately in later years, there's 30 years difference between photos, so who knows what the guernseys were in between?
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:30 pm

howthewestwaswon wrote:Here are some of the guernseys from the South Premiership years:
http://www.safc.com.au/images/safc%20premiership%20panels.pdf?311f4775d7efe0c12fcc34a051030c86=65072d5d16cffe06a992b52b7a95ea8e

Unfortunately in later years, there's 30 years difference between photos, so who knows what the guernseys were in between?

In the late 1950s South wore the Geelong guernsey before reverting to the 1938 style guernsey in about 1960 with the small monogram. Kerley then changed to the large monogram used in 1935 and still used today.

Last edited by robranisgod on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:40 am; edited 2 times in total
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:32 pm

Thanks RIG. Very Happy
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:47 pm

I love South Adelaide's jumper, as an avid Carlton supporter it is just so good to see it represented in this state. cheers cheers
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:53 pm

It is a nice jumper. I must admit I would like to buy one at some stage. Might teach these Tassie people a little more about SA footy!

PS On a side note, I proudly have all of my West guernseys on display around my house. Wink
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:50 am

robranisgod wrote:
howthewestwaswon wrote:Here are some of the guernseys from the South Premiership years:

In the late 1950s South wore the Geelong guernsey before reverting to the 1938 style guernsey in about 1960 with the small monogram. Kerley then changed to the large monogram used in 1935 and still used today.

On the South website it shows their six Magarey Medallists and it throws a bit more light on the different guernseys the club had worn over the years. Dan Moriarty wore a hooped guernsey, but much bigger hoops than Geelong. On the website Jimmy Deane is wearing the Geelong style guernsey but I have also seen him wearing the small monogramed guernsey, so that must have been their guernsey in the early 1950s and also early 1960s.

robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next