bayman
howthewestwaswon
Admin
BloodnTars
UncleHuey
Go Legs
10 posters

Go down

Round 23: Glenelg v Port - Saturday 7 September @ Gliderol Stadium Empty Round 23: Glenelg vs Port Adelaide

Post by Go Legs Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:34 am

This is the last game for the Port Adelaide Magpies, who went down fighting against Westies last week

Against an old foe in Glenelg, this should be an interesting game at the Bay.

Needless to say I don't barrack for either side but I will be there to stand alongside the Magpie Supporters
in what will be a very sad day in SANFL history for them and the rest of us who are SANFL True Believers.Sad 

Who amongst us will make the extra effort to be there, especially hope for a big turnout from all SANFL Supporters.

Cheers,
Go Legs
Go Legs

My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Round 23: Glenelg v Port - Saturday 7 September @ Gliderol Stadium Empty Re: Round 23: Glenelg v Port - Saturday 7 September @ Gliderol Stadium

Post by UncleHuey Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:17 pm

Having lost to the Pies twice this year by the last score of the game it is time for the Bays to win one and send the Pies off with a loss.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Round 23: Glenelg v Port - Saturday 7 September @ Gliderol Stadium Empty Re: Round 23: Glenelg v Port - Saturday 7 September @ Gliderol Stadium

Post by BloodnTars Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:36 pm

Will this match be moved earlier considering the power will be playing about 10 minutes after the final siren?

I will be there. Going to be a sad day just like yesterday.

Edit: just noticed it is now 3.30 according to the website.

Doesn't make sense to me. What's wrong with 2.10?
BloodnTars
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:26 pm

Not picking on you B&T, But, If you can't make it because the Power are playing then I don't know where your heart is, particularly in the world of PVR's etc.

Good B&T, hope plenty of all real SANFL supporters can do too.

Wear your teams colours on the day to show the Magpies we all care.

Go Legs
Go Legs

Back to top Go down

Round 23: Glenelg v Port - Saturday 7 September @ Gliderol Stadium Empty Round 23: Glenelg v Port - Saturday 7 September @ Gliderol Stadium

Post by Admin Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:17 pm

Glenelg v Port

Saturday 7 September
Gliderol Stadium

Reserves: 12:45pm
League: 3:30pm

Last Time They Met
Round 17 @ Alberton Oval
Port 9.9.63
Glenelg 8.12.60

Port are coming off a close loss to West while Glenelg were blown away in the last quarter by Centrals. Which side will finish the season with a win?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Glenelg at home for me by 2-3 goals.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:39 pm

this will be another titanic struggle as were the previous two meetings this year, however this time i believe Glenelg will get up & win in another close match, as a Glenelg person there was always something extra special walking into a ground & watching these two do battle, i didn't always agree with what Port did tactically on the field & yes i 'hate them' (in a sporting sense) but one does admire their accomplishments over the years

RIP THE REAL PORT
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:01 pm

I guess the closer saturday gets, the more feeling we will have for the true Port Adelaide supporters. At first I didnt bother if Port were no longer in the comp, but it is starting to hit home now how much they will be missed next season and onwards.
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:48 am

I've been torn since Sunday's game at Alberton. I had accomodation booked and had organised AFL members reserve tickets through work for Saturday night at the MCG.

Cancelled both this morning, the prospect of not being here for the Magpies (potentially) last game was too much to bear.

Having said that, with the top-up players debacle I hope the PAFC leave the current system in place for next year and wait for the AFC / top up players mess to unfold before we make our position clear. Heck, the SANFL clubs might even see Ports model as more of an option after 12 months of feeding players to the AFC.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:21 pm

When will the Power make up their mind Booney?

Look forward to seeing you and standing side by side at the end which ever way it goes

Cheers
Go Legs
Go Legs

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:40 pm

I will be down the bay on Saturday wearing Club colours and standing with the Magpies Cheersquad
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:34 am

Go Legs wrote:When will the Power make up their mind Booney?

Look forward to seeing you and standing side by side at the end which ever way it goes

Cheers
When we the decision be made? In all honesty, I hope it isnt before the 2014 season. It seems too late now for mine. Plus, the "model" is an unknown. I hope we sit back for 12 months and watch it unfold.

I honestly believe the top-up player system will be so flawed and the AFC reserves side so convoluted that the SANFL league directors may soften the stance on Port and our recruiting zones, reserves etc. Clubs will soon, IMO, get sick of the Crows poaching players left, right and centre and might just want to avoid having to "feed" two clubs top-up players.

That's what I am hoping, anyway.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:56 am

I am saying this with tongue in cheek, but coming from a Port Adelaide supporter that has to be the best comonsense plan I have heard in this whole debate.

Keep it up mate and you will be the SANFL supporters best bet for Chairman of the SANFL Board/Committee for 2014 and beyond.

First recommendation, have the place sprayed for pests, cochroaches and rats.
Go Legs
Go Legs

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:00 pm

I hope they don't Booney.

The Port plan basically involves giving a dozen AFL listed players to Port Adelaide Magpies for next to no cost to their salary cap, with no requirement to play them in the League team each week, while keeping all their zones. Plus they get topped up with additional AFL listed players each year as the Power recruits them. I have heard nothing about de-listed Power players not being allowed to play for the magpies so presumably they will stay with the club unless they decide to leave the state or transfer.

How does that not automatically make Port Magpies one of the top 3 SANFL teams every year?

The Port plan weakens every other SANFL team to strengthen Port and gives back nothing in return. Not only do Port want to eat their cake and keep it too, you want the cream from every other team as well. It is greed disguised as "respecting tradition" and if the Port board puts strengthening the Power and the Magpies ahead of the integrity of the SANFL competition then IMO, with the greatest respect, good riddance.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Firstly, any AFL listed players would need to play league, that would have to be a given.

Each draft only means someone gets delisted, some gets picked up. I would suggest that any delisted player would have to leave the Magpie set-up, unless they were a Magpies based draftee.I would also add that the Magpies salary cap would be a unique set-up.

How does the Port set up weaken other clubs if we dont take top up players from the other 8 clubs. Surely Adelaides model would, Ports wouldn't? You watch the AFC top-up player debacle unfold in 2014.

You wasted your time putting integrity and SANFL in the same sentence, BTW.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Booney wrote:

exactly & you can add ''credibility'' to that statement as well

if Port stay as it is but all Power players are with Port & they have their SANFL zones etc i can not see what the fuss is all about, ffs any of these players good enough to get drafted will still go to any club that drafts them & not just be automatic Port players & this essentially is no difference to the Crows 'developing' 'top up players' to be better footballers that could get drafted

however in a fair & unbiased world there should be an AFL reserves competition & the Magpies separated & play in a PURE SANFL COMPETITION
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:30 pm

Booney wrote:Firstly, any AFL listed players would need to play league, that would have to be a given.

Each draft only means someone gets delisted, some gets picked up. I would suggest that any delisted player would have to leave the Magpie set-up, unless they were a Magpies based draftee.I would also add that the Magpies salary cap would be a unique set-up.

How does the Port set up weaken other clubs if we dont take top up players from the other 8 clubs. Surely Adelaides model would, Ports wouldn't? You watch the AFC top-up player debacle unfold in 2014.

I have not seen any undertaking that all Power listed players will always play league and only league. As I understand the proposal they can play for the Magoos or U18's if the qualify.

But you are not going to de-list your strong league players to get some new recruits. Some players will retire or go play in coutry, amateurs etc so as they remove themselves from the playing list,AFL recruits fill their places. If you need to make further room you are going to cut the weakest players (who are probably average reserve quality) and automatically replace them with players that are (in theory) good enough to play AFL.

In the initial year you get all Power listed players that are currently playing for other SANFL clubs and give up nothing except the ability to prune dead wood a bit deeper. How does that not strengthen Port's playing list and weaken other clubs? Every other club has to work on their zone and try to fill holes from elsewhere. The Port model means that Port can do that and get half a dozen AFL recuits as a bonus every year.

Hows this for a suggestion - The Port zones get sliced in two. Port keeps half, the new Crows team gets the other half for their top up players. Up to U18 level they play as one team, after that they go to their zoned club under the same rules as the other SANFL teams.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:24 pm

League
F: J. Butcher, Cockshell, S. Gray
HF: Johansen, Thurgood, Newton
C: Summerton, Kulikowski, H. Slattery
HB: L. Slattery, Beard, Kirkwood
B: Raikiwasa, Scanlon, Brain

R: Meiklejohn, Sharrad, Watt
INT: Madden, Lemmens, Carr, Sawford, AhChee
IN: Watt, Lemmens, Carr
OUT: Neade (Power)

brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:27 pm

League
F: Allen, McGinty, Gamble
HF: McFarlane, Kirkby, McInerney
C: Davenport, Tenace, Nicholson
HB: Clurey, Tapp, Underwood
B: C. Pitt, Proud, Curran

R: Button, Bradley, Jolly
INT: E. Gill, Mules, Carger, Milne, Agnew
IN: Tenace, Carger, Agnew, Milne
OUT: Lyons, Hitchcock

brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down