FOOTYfollower
bigclock
Bundy
bayman
Scrappy
13 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Greatest Actors Actresses of all time - Page 5 Empty Re: Greatest Actors Actresses of all time

Post by Scrappy Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:33 am

JAYNE MANSFIELD

Not sure if we can class her as a great actress , but she was great to look at
This gal had stunning looks and lovely assets
She was only 34 when she died in a car accident
She died 29/6/1967, as a tribute , I think the gals on Hanson Road Mansfield Park should have a minutes silence for her every 29th of June
In her time she managed to have 5 children!
One of those, Mariska Hargity [was in Law and Order]

Jayne Mansfield once said
" Men are those creatures with 2 legs and 8 hands."

Question
Just on the sheer looks and assets, who was the most attractive from that era ?
Jayne Mansfield
Marilyn Monroe

My vote Jayne Mansfield
Only just
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Greatest Actors Actresses of all time - Page 5 Empty Re: Greatest Actors Actresses of all time

Post by bayman Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:18 pm

there is an urban myth that Jayne Mansfield was decapitated in the tragic accident but this is not true
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:14 pm

just for IATW........

is Penelope Pitstop classed as an actress ?  Very Happy 
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by IAmTheWarrior Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:35 pm

bayman wrote:just for IATW........

is  Penelope Pitstop  classed as an actress ?  Very Happy 

Even if you could- isn't this thread about the greatest?? She surely doesn't qualify on that count.
IAmTheWarrior
IAmTheWarrior

Teams : Woodville (now WWT), Crows, Strathfieldsaye Storm and Sunshine Kangaroos
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:55 pm

ok, for starters how about.......

Jane Russell

Doris Day

Eve Arden

Susan Fleming

Grace Kelly

Carolyn Jones

Ida Lupino

Last edited by bayman on Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:58 pm

oh i forgot r&b's pinup girl Betty Grable
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:00 pm

bayman wrote:ok, for starters how about.......

Jane Russell

Doris Day

Eve Arden

Susan Fleming

Grace Kelly

Carolyn Jones

Ida Lapino

As for Scrappy's comparison, I take Marilyn by a quarter of a mouth.
Reckon Jayne Mansfield's mouth is too wide.
And Marilyn had a very hard to define quality about her acting.
It wasn't a dumb blonde kind of quality either. I think she had a comedic talent that complemented her leading men so well.

As for the above list, Grace Kelly any day of the week. Absolutely kills the rest.
I'll watch anything with Grace Kelly in it. No wonder Hitchcock had the hots for her.
If she was available, I reckon he would have had her in all of his movies. Do you notice how many blondes have been in his movies..
Doris Day - The Trouble with Harry
Kim Novak - Vertigo
Eva Marie Saint - North By North West
Janet Leigh - Psycho
Tippi Hedren - The Birds
to name but a few others.

Grace's main movies were;
Her first film was Fourteen Hours (1951) when she was 22.
The role of Amy Kane in High Noon (1952), a western starring Gary Cooper.
Grace appeared in Mogambo (1953) set in Kenya where she played opposite Clark Gable and Ava Gardner.
Her work with director Alfred Hitchcock began with Dial M for Murder (1954) and made her a star.
Her standout performance in Rear Window (1954) as Lisa Fremont, she was cast opposite James Stewart.
Grace stayed busy in 1954 appearing in five films.
Grace would be immortalized by winning the Academy Award for Best Actress for her portrayal of Georgie Elgin opposite Bing Crosby in The Country Girl (1954).
In 1955, Grace once again teamed with Hitchcock in To Catch a Thief (1955) co-starring Cary Grant.
In 1956, she played Tracy Lord in the musical comedy High Society (1956) which also starred Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby.
This turned out to be her final acting performance as she had recently met and married Prince Rainier of Monaco.
And then she became a Princess and lived happily ever after.........well almost!

Of the 3 Hitchock movies she did, I reckon Rear Window was the best. Very clever use of camera angles and you basically never leave James Stewart's apartment. She was stunning in that.

Not a long career but some stunning highlights amongst them.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:26 am

Hitchcocks girls
This is purely an opinion based on looks

1 Grace Kelly ...Easily , no disgrace for the other gals on the list to be rated 2-6
2 Kim Novak....I would get vertigo if I saw her semi naked
3 Janet Leigh...You would love to shower with her
4 Doris Day.....Acts, sings, lovely looker, not Susan D's mother...
5 Tippi Hendren...Only a birdbrain would knock her back
6 Eva Marie Saint...Very selfish, only got married once

Janet Leigh is  the mother of Jamie Leigh Curtis
Tipi Hendren is the mother of Melanie Giffith

SUSAN DEY
Can you believe she is 61 years old today ?
Best known for her part as Laurie Partridge in the Partridge Family
She was stunning in that series , and matured into a beautiful woman when she was in LA Law

What a show The Partridge Family was
Mother or daughter who could say no to Shirley Jones or Susan Dey

DAVID CASSIDY
Good singer
There are yarns around that David pretty boy Cassidy was romantically involved with both Dey and Jones
Perhaps David said I Think I Love You too often !
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by IAmTheWarrior Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:50 am

Come on Scrappy- what girl would have knocked back a ride from David Cassidy back then???

Cool 
IAmTheWarrior
IAmTheWarrior

Teams : Woodville (now WWT), Crows, Strathfieldsaye Storm and Sunshine Kangaroos

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:36 am

DAVID CASSIDY
I was a David Cassidy fan as an actor and singer , but back I was living in the seventies it was not cool to admit you liked Cassidy or The Bay City Rollers
Was a fairly good actor

I now proud these days to say I have have 3 David Cassidy Albums
Cassidy Live
Cherish
Dreams are nothing more than wishes

My fav songs are
Cherish
Daydream
Rock Me Baby

The song I Think I Love You with the others was a very favorite song of mine

13/8/2013
I have mentioned this before 'somewhere'
David was arrested for D.U.I
The officer who arrested him was Tom Jones
David jocularly said " Whats new pussycat " to officer Jones

And, yes, what girl could knock back this heartthrob ?
After all he did look like Susan Dey a bit !
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:31 am

But more importantly do you have a Bay City Rollers album?
Reckon I got a single of their hit "Bye Bye Baby" somewhere buried deep in my collection.

I agree it was very uncool in 1975 to like the Bay City Rollers.
Only one miguided soul at my school made this admission public.
And in true fashion of the day was branded 'gay'.

Tartan stripes down the sides of your "ankle freezie" jeans, wasn't really the highpoint of 70s fashion methinks.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:46 am

Yes, I can unashamedly admit I have a BCR Album
Once Upon a Time Album

On the cover it states
Includes hit single Bye Bye Baby

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by FOOTYfollower Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:55 pm

I had never previously heard that Cassidy was rumoured to be romantically involved with Shirley Jones. She was his step-mother, so I am a little skeptical about it.

I had previously heard the rumours about Barry Williams and Florence Henderson, from the Brady Bunch. Appears this was more of a childhood crush though however.

On a similar theme - I was a huge fan of Family Ties in the 1980's. There was never any rumours, as far as I know, between Michael J Fox, and Meredith Baxter-Birney, however I have read that she used to drive him to the set in the first year of the show.

Another show I enjoyed, that was made before I was born, was Hogans Heros. Bob Crane married one of his co-stars, Sigrid Valdaz?? I think here name was. Unfortunately for Crane, his tendency to live on the edge, ultimately cost him his life.
FOOTYfollower
FOOTYfollower

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:06 pm

I distinctly remember reading somewhere about Cassidy and Jones
But , as with all gossip and here say  writings , postings or whatever , none of us know for sure , we heavily rely on others for information of this type
Jack Cassidy , Davids father married Shirley Jones
That should certainly rule out a Davis , Shirley liason

HOGANS HEROES
Who was the bigger womaniser in real life
Bob Crane[Colonel Hogan]
John Banner[Sergeant Schultz]

BOB CRANE
Wow, saw that movie about him, if the movie is anything like his personal lifestyle he was a very active person with the opposite sex.

Last edited by Scrappy on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:52 pm

I thought Col Hogan was a bit active with the same sex too.
I know nussing, I see nussing, I hear nussing!!!  Very Happy 
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by FOOTYfollower Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:00 pm

Re Hogans Heros - I can recall reading that there was a lot of animosity between a couple of cast members. I think it was Crane and Richard Dawson, who became well known as a game show host after HH.

FOOTYfollower
FOOTYfollower

Back to top Go down

Post by FOOTYfollower Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:06 pm

A few years back, I sent an email to Leon Askin, who played Berkhalter.

Was amazed to get a reply. A few monrhs later, I read that he had passed away. He was in his mid 90s from memory.

Interestingly, a number of cast members of the show suffered at the hands of the Nazis in WW2, including Berkhalter I think, in addition to John Banner.
FOOTYfollower
FOOTYfollower

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:45 pm

The death of lovely actress Eleanor Parker occurred this week at the age of 91 years of age.

She is probably best remembered as playing the part of the baroness in the classic film "The Sound Of Music"
She was nominated 3 times for an Oscar but was never successful in winning one.
testy
testy

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:45 pm

FOOTYfollower wrote:I had never previously heard that Cassidy was rumoured to be romantically involved with Shirley Jones.  She was his step-mother, so I am a little skeptical about it.  

I had previously heard the rumours about Barry Williams and Florence Henderson, from the Brady Bunch.  Appears this was more of a childhood crush though however.

On a similar theme - I was a huge fan of Family Ties in the 1980's.  There was never any rumours, as far as I know, between Michael J Fox, and Meredith Baxter-Birney, however I have read that she used to drive him to the set in the first year of the show.

Another show I enjoyed, that was made before I was born, was Hogans Heros.  Bob Crane married one of his co-stars, Sigrid Valdaz?? I think here name was.  Unfortunately for Crane, his tendency to live on the edge, ultimately cost him his life.

someones got mixed up with his father

they had a date & that was about it, they have both said it, she has said i went out with him not to hurt his feelings & he understood that as he matured a bit more (or words to that affect)

Meredith in the last few years changed teams & now bats for the same side

apparently the guy Bob Crane used to hang around a lot with is his suspected murderer but they can't prove it & he's denied it (i think they went to court)
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Scrappy wrote:Eleanor Parker and Grace Kelly are pleasant to the eye from the olden days

Now they have both departed
Eleanor Parker , gone but wont be forgotten me
She remains one of my favorite actresses

She was a classy looker and a great actress

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Scrappy wrote:
Scrappy wrote:Eleanor Parker and Grace Kelly are pleasant to the eye from the olden days

Now they have both departed
Eleanor Parker , gone but wont be forgotten me
She remains one of my favorite actresses

She was a classy looker and a great actress

sad news about Eleanor Parker

apart from acting what did Lon Chaney (snr) & Eleanor Parker have in common ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by IAmTheWarrior Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:12 pm

bayman wrote:

sad news about Eleanor Parker

apart from acting what did Lon Chaney (snr) & Eleanor Parker have in common ?

E was the second last letter of their surname?  Very Happy 
IAmTheWarrior
IAmTheWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by IAmTheWarrior Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:17 pm

Or perhaps he was the man of a thousand faces and she was referred to as the woman of a thousand faces?
IAmTheWarrior
IAmTheWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by FOOTYfollower Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:20 pm

bayman wrote:
FOOTYfollower wrote:I had never previously heard that Cassidy was rumoured to be romantically involved with Shirley Jones.  She was his step-mother, so I am a little skeptical about it.  

I had previously heard the rumours about Barry Williams and Florence Henderson, from the Brady Bunch.  Appears this was more of a childhood crush though however.

On a similar theme - I was a huge fan of Family Ties in the 1980's.  There was never any rumours, as far as I know, between Michael J Fox, and Meredith Baxter-Birney, however I have read that she used to drive him to the set in the first year of the show.

Another show I enjoyed, that was made before I was born, was Hogans Heros.  Bob Crane married one of his co-stars, Sigrid Valdaz?? I think here name was.  Unfortunately for Crane, his tendency to live on the edge, ultimately cost him his life.

someones got mixed up with his father

they had a date & that was about it, they have both said it, she has said i went out with him not to hurt his feelings & he understood that as he matured a bit more (or words to that affect)

Meredith in the last few years changed teams & now bats for the same side

apparently the guy Bob Crane used to hang around a lot with is his suspected murderer but they can't prove it & he's denied it (i think they went to court)

Not sure what/who you're referring to in your first 2 sentences bayman.

Re your last sentence re Crane, the guy who is strongly suspected of murdering him, is now deceased himself, I believe.

Re Family Ties - it certainly was interesting to hear Baxter-Birney's revelation a few years ago.  Interestingly, she was born on the same day as her "stage" husband, Michael Gross.  As an actor, I think Gross is under-rated, and he provided many of the highlights over the course of the show.
FOOTYfollower
FOOTYfollower

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:14 pm

Also passing away in 2013
Michael Ansara 91
James Gandolfini 51
Annette Funicello 71

MICHAEL ANSARA
Ansara had a very rich voice, and was an outstanding actor
He was once hitched to Barbara Eden , lucky lucky man indeed
He played in an episode on Lost In Space when he had a duel with Professor John Robinson
Their sons were meant to duel at one stage
Ansara's son on that episode was a very young Kurt Russell

JAMES GANDOFINI
Best known for his tough man part in the Sopranos
But I was impressed with his role in the movie Welcome To The Rileys
In this movie we get to see James as a kind bloke who tries to make a lady out of an out of control Kristen Stewart
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next