Did he come from Sturt juniors?Very Happy Very Happy 

Well at least Under 18s.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Showdown XXXV - Page 3 Empty Re: Showdown XXXV

Post by Gingernuts Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:37 pm

Well that one really hurt, cut real deep. A lot of talk about Nth Melbourne dropping games they should've won, but Adelaide would be a close second this year.

They have 'run with' pretty much every team except Sydney this year, holding up to 5 goal margins in many games, and then gone on to cough them up.

Still, despite the shocking year results wise, I think as far as injecting new talent this year has been better exceptional.

Again yesterday, Grigg and Johnstone come in and have an immediate impact, and Crouch was unreal. Think about the list of players that have come in this year, or taken significant steps in their development:

Kerridge
Brown
Crouch
Lyon
Laird
Lynch
Grigg
Johnstone

I've probably missed a couple too. We might miss finals this year (as my Port friends are happily pointing out to me) but I firmly believe it will only be a brief hiatus.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:04 am

Lyons - I'm not sure about. I see a bit in him, but I think he looks far too light in his frame to play the role he has been playing.

Brown - Can we have him? I like the look of this kid and think you have a replacement for Doughty/Reilly running off half back in this one.

Crouch - This kid looks good. Perhaps he could be moulded in a Kane Cornes like role Ginge? He knows how to find the ball and Adelaide need a run-with player to replace van Berlo sooner rather than later. With Dangerfield, Sloane and Douglas getting the ball, Crouch could be a shut down when needed.

Speaking of Douglas - Did he just give up when he saw Kane come to him? 5 touches in the first, none in the second and only 12 for the game was not a good look for a bloke who should be busting his boiler to get as much of it as he can. What do you think Ginge?
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:49 am

Douglas is quite obviously not suited to taking the chief run with player from the opposition. He is exceptional as a 3rd of 4th midfielder working off half forward, but he shouldn't be expected to carry the midfield.

The same thing happened a couple of years ago when he won the B&F. Next year the opposition clamped down on him and negated his influence. The rise of Dangerfield and Sloane freed him up again, but with them being out the last couple of weeks he's coped the attention again.

I don't hold it against him - it's more about the lack of workrate from his midfield mates to share the load IMO.

Just regarding the talented youth in both squads on display yesterday - with the move to AO and both teams having significant young prospects I firmly believe we are headed for a bit of a 'golden age' in SA footy over the next few years.

Adelaide have had a shocker this year but the footy gods haven't smiled on them either. They are better than their ladder position and barring some other off season scandal or a double up in injuries of a Taylor Walker nature, should be back playing finals next year.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm

A little snippet from an article on the AFC website:

WITH two minutes left in Sunday's Showdown, Adelaide led by eight points and Lewis Johnston found himself free inside 50.

He'd booted four goals to that point and was clearly the most dangerous key forward on the ground.

Patrick Dangerfield was leading at him, but with his coaches' advice ringing in his ears to back himself when in range, Johnston loaded up to ice the game. And missed everything.

Johnston could have passed to Dangerfield - he readily admits it was an option – but he backed himself to convert, as his instinct and coaching told him to do.

Despite partly blaming himself for the four-point loss, Johnston told AFL.com.au that if he could rewind the clock, he would have had another shot.

"If I had kicked that goal it would have been the icing on the cake and put us nearly three goals up, instead they took it straight down and they got that bloody lucky bounce.

"If I had taken my chance it could have been a different outcome.

"I would kick that nine out of 10 times and this time was that one that didn't come off.

"I could have passed it to 'Danger', but all week I've been told to back myself inside 50 and my kicking's my best attribute.

"It happened pretty quickly and I went for it, unfortunately for us it just didn't go through."

I love the attitude and the confidence. Big part of our future forward line this kid I reckon.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:26 pm

With 2 minutes to go in his first game at that level for the year he knows, he must know he didn't have the penetration in his kick to nail it from 50 after he just had run 50-60m. Tired legs on a seasoned campaigner would have struggled to kick that goal. He should have passed it off, simple as that.

Bloody lucky bounce....Laughing 

Make the right decision, peanut.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:53 pm

You even must admit it was a bloody lucky bounce Booney
brodlach
brodlach

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Of course it was....but Johnston raising it makes it sound like he thinks that bounce was as/more important than his poor decision.

If he had made the right decision nothing else would have mattered. Anyway, he looks a likely type and I am sure we will see him in plenty more Showdowns and he might even get to play in an Adelaide win.Laughing 

BTW - Did you know Johnston and Lynch went at #12 and #13 in the same draft? Two pretty handy "discards" you've snaffled there.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:00 pm

Yep saw that the other day, hopefully they both prove their high draft pick. Quite a few good players in that draft.
brodlach
brodlach

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3