Showdown

4 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

Showdown Empty Showdown

Post by Lee Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:42 pm

1 goal 9 at quarter time.

Mixed feelings. On one hand, had the Crows blown their chances by not making it count on the scoreboard.  On the other, it had been one-way traffic.  What was the truth?

The worry from Port's point of view was that it seemed they couldn't get the footy. When they did, it was hurried and ineffective, except for one out the back, behind the defence.  Robbie Gray excepted.

A bigger worry was that when the ball did bounce for them, it appeared as if the Port players didn't want to get their knees dirty as they tried to pick up the pill without getting down to ground level.  Result, turnover.  Robbie Gray excepted.

2 minutes into the second quarter and all those questions were answered.  Adelaide were too strong, too skilled, wanted the footy more and looked totally organised, to the extent they looked to have a couple of extra players most of the time.

Lynch was running a marathon, picking up possessions at will, Jacobs was getting his hand to the ball and following up in the forward line, Walker was pivotal, marking one or two he had no right to and Port had nobody.  Robbie Gray excepted.

Eddie Betts. Bloody hell, worth the admission price alone and the tricks are consistent, not flukes.  A goal of the year contender, followed by a definite goal of the year, except for a reviewed touch.  That's after he slotted one from the Eddie Betts pocket with a checkside with a wet ball while everyone else was struggling to kick them from right in front.

The second half. Each quarter seemed long.  A pitch invader, complete with Irish jig on the way out. Idiot. But most of the time on was for retrieving the footy from Adelaide's scores, although they were consistent, 10 scoring shots in each quarter in bad conditions.

Sloane shrugged the disappearing tag and was influential and talented, while the Crouch boys continue their transition from promising to elite.  The much maligned Douglas just keeps bobbing up, getting the footy and being where he's needed.

Hard to rate the defence, except they were very good, as it looked impossible for Port to score.  I've rarely seen a game played so much forward of centre for one team.  Port's rare forays into attack were merely opportunities for the Crows to start another attack.

For a long time, Port were stuck on 1 goal 3 and the main interest was whether they'd actually increase that by siren time.  The umps, who I thought had given Adelaide a good run, seemed to feel the need for some Port sympathy. 2 goals came from dodgy 50 metre penalties, another from a free in front.  Adelaide took the foot off the pedal, the game opened up and a few Port players started to get a bit of the footy.  Except Robbie Gray, who got a lot of the footy.

A good, old-fashioned thrashing, 40 shots to not many on a day where I thought they'd be lucky to kick 12 goals between them.

The Port faithful weren't happy.  The coach they lauded 3 weeks ago had to be sacked and the answers were those players who couldn't touch the footy 2 weeks before, along with debutants who would miraculously turn things around.  Port have problems, but they're not as bad as yesterday's game and not as good as they previously thought.

Adelaide, however, have to work out why their best is irrepressible and their worst is too frequent.

But in a season of upsets, they're comfortably on top of the table and their best is better than anyone else.

Not a bad day.

Next week, Adelaide to beat Essendon after a scare and Port to beat whoever they're playing.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Showdown Empty Re: Showdown

Post by mickyj Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:56 pm

Watching the game on Foxtel
It seemed a very bias Port commentary
Roo was very balanced didn't favour Adelaide over Port he may been more towards Port but who knows
Healy seemed very Port oriented he was waiting for them to take control and run over the crows
I think the Port Banner was too focused on laying smack down on the crows ( I must be getting hip lol )
Personally they should have focused on Port
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Port (as happens somewhat regularly with them) don't play get down and dirty footy. In conditions like that they needed to lock it up, particularly when they couldn't find the footy.

In my observation they like to play fast high risk footy, but when challenged (by opposition or conditions) tend to falter rather quickly.

And their defensive efforts yesterday were appalling. That is the thing Hinkley would be most concerned about. The lack of will to grind it out and be accountable. The effort tells me they are mentally brittle and not willing to put themselves in for a fair dip.

The stat that tells me how hard a side works is the mark count. Port had 40-odd where it should be heading toward 100 (as the Crows had). Whilst most of these are uncontested these days, it shows how willing a side is prepared to run to space to present options. 40-odd is about as low as I've seen.

Every stat was so one-sided they probably all point to a lack of will, but in a far far too obvious way.

It is possible for Port to miss the finals, I don't think they will, but they will just be making up the numbers.

Sydney is the side that ALL clubs should be worried about. There slow momentum build and current form is about as good as any premiership contender of recent seasons.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Adelaide having gotten to the top of the table and will stay there, have their best shot at a GF as they've ever had.

With a home final and perhaps 2, they should be confident.

However, I doubt that the sides that loom large as proper opposition (Sydney, Cats, GWS) will allow their free flowing forward movement.

The biggest question mark for me, is how will the Crows handle the increased finals pressure. Over the last 10 years they haven't shown consistent resilience when tested.

I still put them behind Sydney and GWS and about on par with the Cats.

I reckon these 4 will make up the ladder top 4.

Richmond are gathering momentum, but I doubt even the most ardent and staunch Tiger fan could possibly have them as top 4 certainties. You never know though. They could go against 30 years of wrist-slashing, soul-destroying performance and get to a GF. Can't believe I even said that!

And the rest just make up numbers I think.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:46 pm

Showdown = let down
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:38 pm

bayman wrote:Showdown = let down

For who bayman ?
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:25 pm

mickyj wrote:

For who bayman ?

As a contest mate, even the weather couldn't help make it close, while any team can have an off day, the Power seem to have too many off days when playing the upper echelon of teams
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:33 pm

bayman wrote:
mickyj wrote:

For who bayman ?

As a contest mate, even the weather couldn't help make it close, while any team can have an off day, the Power seem to have too many off days when playing the upper echelon of teams

That's true
Port seem to have issues playing sides in the 8 that when played are above Port .
Perhaps it could also be said Port got ahead of themselves before the showdown
Tonight on 7 news first time this year Cornes didn't have an issue with a crows win it's normally ended him doing his Cornsey says spot with him saying Crows win but
This year Port win lose he was one to build them up until tonight

Reckon showdowns are either close tight games or blow outs
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down