bayman
Big Phil
Lee
howthewestwaswon
Admin
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Round 18: North v West - Saturday 28 July @ Prospect Oval - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 18: North v West - Saturday 28 July @ Prospect Oval

Post by Country Cock ! Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:54 pm

Great Cock's !

Never were gonna loose, should of won by a lot more cheers
Country Cock !
Country Cock !

Teams : The Cocks !
My club : north

Back to top Go down

Round 18: North v West - Saturday 28 July @ Prospect Oval - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 18: North v West - Saturday 28 July @ Prospect Oval

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:00 pm

Mongrel Punter wrote:
Mongrel Punter wrote:
Flag No.9 wrote:
Mongrel Punter wrote: Dalwood has settled in well and continually spoils. Wundke could have kicked 10 last week if he wasn't watched by Dalwood, and he got 4 of them in the first half.

He's welcome to watch Fisher kick 5 this week too.

Well - he did that with Wundke but the team still came away with the biscuits

Only watched Fisher kick 3 and still beat him on the day

Yes, the 5RPH commentators said they were impressed by Dalwood's game today. Sounds as thought it was an emphatic win by the Roosters, one of the league's most dangerous teams when they get it right.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:56 pm

North far too good today and West looked in strife right from the first bounce. Even before that, actually, with three late changes. Daniel Caire, James Ezard and Fort Caruso didn't start and were replaced by Logan Hill, Shannon Green and debutant Aaron Anderson.

North's attack on the footy continually put West under pressure and the totally dominated the ruck contests. West kicked with a strong breeze to start, but didn't make use of it at all.

West actually hit the front in the last quarter, but North quickly kicked 5 goals clear and it seemed like how far, but West didn't give up and reduced the margin to 3 goals. That wasn't a real indication of the gap, with West seemingly well off their game and North playing a superior brand of fooy.

There were 3 reports, Joel Tippett and Scott Bricknell for striking and a North player (not sure who - Bricknell's opponent) also for striking.

West actually increased their gap in third place with Glenelg going down b more, but North move level with Glenelg and play them at Prospect next week. The loser can't make 3rd, the winner will be within a game and percentage of it.

West have a bye and then play Central and Norwood.

Interesting times ahead.

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:13 pm

North far too good today. they should have won by more.
West played there worst game of the year altoguh the loss to Centrals was jsut as bad.

West's forward structure with only one marking forward to kick to was very puzzling and they have lined up like this over the past few weeks and whilst they have one against Sturt & glenelg with this structure North are a better side

The other puzzling thing was we started with a 5 man forward line in the 1st qrt when kicking with the wind.

Need to bring in another tall whicvh would allow Webb to play key forward all game
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Mongrel Punter Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:49 pm

Francou's best 3 - Dalwood, Blee, G Thring. North's Thompson reported for a retaliatory strike
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:11 pm

MP, why do you say it was a retaliatory strike?

That presumes Bricknell struck him.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Mongrel Punter Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:18 pm

Correct - he was reported too for an initial strike and Thompson retaliated
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:06 pm

So why did Thompson get the free kick?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Mongrel Punter Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:15 pm

You'll have to ask the umpires - as we have seen this year there are strange decisions, and there were a few today, but one can only assume that Thompson got the free because he was hit first - otherwise the umpire would have bounced it or any other choice of a decision at his discretion or taken it away and given it to Bricknell, but that wouldn't have been too fair either - who knows! I was actually surprised when I heard that Thompson had been reported because what I saw showed him on the ground 50 m off the play. By that time West had lost the plot completely. They were outplayed and outcoached, and then Tippett decked Max Thring 40m off the play. It just all fell apart.
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:34 pm

With respect, MP, I think that's guessing a bit. If Bricknell allegedly struck him first, it's a free against him. If Thompson supposedly 'retaliated', the free is reversed.

I'd say, from Bricknell's reaction, he was amazed at the decision.

We'll have to see what happens.

It's also a bit one-sided to say West had lost the plot completely. They kicked the last two goals of the game. I agree they were outplayed, but I wouldn't gild the lily.

One thing I think has advantaged North against West is in the ruck, where on both occasions this year, North have dominated.

Last edited by redandblack on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:42 pm

I have to mention the brave win of West's Reserves toda. They dominated the first half and led by about 6 goals, but lost players with injury. That took its toll and North gradually wore them down and got to less than a goal, with a strong breeze at their back, in the last quarter.

West had further problems, with two more injuries to players on the field and looked gone.

They fought on and kicked another goal and held on. North kicked one and had a free inside the fifty when the siren went.

It wasn't an easy shot and it missed.

Great win by the boys.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Mongrel Punter Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:00 pm

Good points R&B - but it's interesting to view a game from your own perspective as I am about to do. Referring again to strange umpiring, I thought West's run of 7 goals in the 2nd quarter was aided by their 6th and 7th goals coming from dubious frees that dented the confidence of a young Roosters side composed of 7-8 players still eligible for Under 18s. They fought back well to almost steal the game. There were 2 umpires in that reserves game who had no feel for the game at all.
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:02 pm

redandblack wrote:With respect, MP, I think that's guessing a bit. If Bricknell allegedly struck him first, it's a free against him. If Thompson supposedly 'retaliated', the free is reversed.

Normally that is the case, but who knows these days?
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Yes, I agree that Reserves umpires often don't have a 'feel' for the game. I can't recall those frees, so I'll take your word for that.

As for Under 18's players, both sides had their share of them, as most Reserves teams do these days.

West had Brown, Johnson, Minuzzo, Middleton, Wong and Pedlar from the 18's playing today also. Wong's second quarter, with 3 goals from a wing, was outstanding.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sexy Sam Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:54 pm

redandblack wrote:With respect, MP, I think that's guessing a bit. If Bricknell allegedly struck him first, it's a free against him. If Thompson supposedly 'retaliated', the free is reversed.

It's also a bit one-sided to say West had lost the plot completely. They kicked the last two goals of the game. I agree they were outplayed, but I wouldn't gild the lily.

One thing I think has advantaged North against West is in the ruck, where on both occasions this year, North have dominated.
Willits rucked for nearly two and a half quarters by himself. Bit harsh also when we won the stats 43 to 41.
Sexy Sam
Sexy Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:45 pm

Willits did a great job, as always.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:55 am

Sexy Sam wrote:

Willits rucked for nearly two and a half quarters by himself. Bit harsh also when we won the stats 43 to 41.

I was amazed by that stat. North seemed to dominate the rucks. Perhaps it was North's rucks made more decisive taps that allowed their teammates to make more clearances from the ball ups.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:56 am

robranisgod wrote:I was amazed by that stat. North seemed to dominate the rucks. Perhaps it was North's rucks made more decisive taps that allowed their teammates to make more clearances from the ball ups.

This is why some stats people don't bother with hit outs any more. No point in getting 40 hit outs if all they do is fall to ground somewhere. If the stat was effective hit outs, it would probably read more like 10-8 rather than 43-41.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:16 am

Yes, rig, I was also surprised, especially as Webb was off the ground for a while with a shoulder injury and we even used Nat Caruso as a ruckman for a while, which makes Willts effort even better.

My feeling agreed with yours that North's clearances were much more effective.

I think West missed Ezard, Caire and Caruso a fair bit yesterday.

The Jimmy Allan situation is interesting. I said to a few people before thegame yesterday that teams often lift the first week a star player is missing, but find it harder after the initial effort.

Time will tell.

Lowest Prospect crowd I can remember, too.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Mongrel Punter Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:45 am

R&B - I would be interested in your view of Brad Fisher's game. The Sunday Mail reporter must have been at a different game if he gave him 2nd best for West. With all due respect to him, he probably had a quiet game by his standards, and 3 goals and 8 possessions was hardly inspiring stuff, while his opponent was acknowldeged as his club's best for the day and had more possessions, and indeed kept him pretty quiet. He didn't even get a rank in the SM.
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:01 pm

I'd agree with you MP.

Brad was competing against two opponents most of the time and did well to kick three.

He certainly wasn't in our best several players yesterday.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Mongrel Punter Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:08 pm

That's what I thought - Dalwood did well to keep him quiet and as you have said he was assisted by Miles who was there too - where was his opponent?
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:59 pm

redandblack wrote:Yes, rig, I was also surprised, especially as Webb was off the ground for a while with a shoulder injury and we even used Nat Caruso as a ruckman for a while, which makes Willts effort even better.

My feeling agreed with yours that North's clearances were much more effective.

I think West missed Ezard, Caire and Caruso a fair bit yesterday.

The Jimmy Allan situation is interesting. I said to a few people before thegame yesterday that teams often lift the first week a star player is missing, but find it harder after the initial effort.

Time will tell.

Lowest Prospect crowd I can remember, too.

Second lowest crowd I have ever seen at prospect. Against South 2 years ago was smaller. Don't know whether it was the weather, North's poor home ground efforts of late or whether North and West supporters stayed home to watch the Crows. Quite a few did seem to come in after the Crows had finished. Probably a good idea to only play the ABC game when the Crows are playing on a Saturday afternoon.

Back to the rucks, Willets did seem to get on top of Currie for 10 minutes at the start of the last quarter, but then Craig came on and seemingly domminated the next 10 minutes, yet the stats only credited Craig with 10 hitouts.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mongrel Punter Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:37 pm

Back to the rucks, Willets did seem to get on top of Currie for 10 minutes at the start of the last quarter, but then Craig came on and seemingly domminated the next 10 minutes, yet the stats only credited Craig with 10 hitouts.[/quote]

Don't forget that we are talking about Champion data here - enough said
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next