Sabre
Adelaide Hawk
Flag No.10
C.K
9 posters

Go down

Season Preview: Norwood 2012 Empty Season Preview: Norwood 2012

Post by C.K Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:39 am

WELCOME ABOARD: Michael Newton (Melbourne),. Nathan Batsanis (Port Melbourne), Jaryd Cachia (Carlton), Kane Murphy (Sydney), Roland AhChee (returning from Gold Coast), Jimmi Savage (returning from GWS), Ben Warren (South Adelaide via Langhorne Creek)

HOO-ROO: Sam Rowe (Carlton), Cameron Shenton (St Kilda), Alex Forster (Fremantle), James Gallagher, Stuart Bown (retired), Stephen Doyle, Matthew Davis (overseas), Brenton Littler (Sturt), Jesse Aish, Trevor Baust, Andy Read (local football)

The disappointment of how they exited the 2011 finals series will burn deep within the group in the off-season and may tell a real tale about the mental maturity of the team. The losses through retirement take considerable experience from the top end of the group, and while the losses of Shenton, Rowe and Forster were anticipated, it still left holes to be filled.

Former Demon Newton looks a straight swap for Rowe in a key forward role. If he can keep his body right, then the high flyer can be a dominant force at this level. Batsanis and Cachia will add grunt to the midfield, with the former coming off a career best season in the VFL. Murphy is impressing with his work ethic on the track, and if AhChee and Savage can utilise their experience from a year in the AFL system, they will be handy additions also.

Warren remains the real wildcard in attack. Not since Jim West crossed from Glenelg in the 90’s, have the Redlegs had a genuine lead out, traditional full forward from the goal square type, and his sure hands and hard leading will give them a target in attack. If he is able to boot 40+, then the risk of taking a player who has been out of the system for a year will be more than vindicated, with the former South skipper adding valuable leadership to the group.

The opportunity is here for the group to pinch a top three berth, but equally, the game plan may need some tinkering after both Central and the Eagles dismantled it ruthlessly in the 2011 finals.

BEST CASE: The two key forwards gel perfectly in the primary positions and combine for 80+ goals, the young defence continues their upward climb in maturity and experience and the Redlegs push hard for a top three berth again.

WORST CASE: The light ruck stocks break down, with a lot of pressure on Brady Dawe and Angus Clarke, the midfield misses the experience of Gallagher and coach Nathan Bassett’s game plan is worked around by clubs who push hard to attack at all opportunities and are able to manufacture the 15 goals or so that should beat Norwood’s current structure.

TIME-ON: “Georgiou, to Batsanis, through Reinbrecht to Warren” will roll off the tongue beautifully for commentators, and will be offset in the vocal stakes by “Dawe, down to Bode, to Brown, GOAL”
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Season Preview: Norwood 2012 Empty Re: Season Preview: Norwood 2012

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:11 pm

The big question mark with Norwood for me is Newton. Rowe was a very important player and they seem to be expecting Newton to fill that hole. From what I've seen of him at VFL level, I think they're being optimistic. His attitude and form seemed to improve last year but he'd been pretty ordinary for a while in the VFL before that.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:25 pm

I think Norwood supporters need to hope for another 2010. With a new squad and opening matches at Elizabeth and Alberton, I could see us taking a few weeks to get our act together.

As in 2011, we've lost players, but nowhere near the standard of player lost in Puopolo, Duigan and Lower. Hopefully this means the losses this season will be easier to cover. The only one I see playing regular AFL in 2012 is Luke Brown.

Will be very interesting to see how our new recruits shape up, and what game style Bass brings to the table.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabre Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:38 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:The big question mark with Norwood for me is Newton.
I'm afraid there's no hope 'No. 9', that whole suburb has been given to Sturt.
Laughing Wink

See Arrow http://www.talkingfootysa.com/t37-first-interview
Sabre
Sabre

Teams : Norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Its hard to see Norwood falling out of the five this season. The issue is how they can improve to the level of The Eagles and Central, rest assured the Eagles will likely see significant improvement this season and Norwood must match and better it if they are to improve their own position. Think its a huge ask for Norwood, yet if anyone can get any more out of a side in the SANFL its likely that Nathan Bassett is the man for the job!
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:17 am

Jimmi Savage has decided not to play SANFL this year, so can be removed as an IN for Norwood now.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:41 pm

C.K wrote:Jimmi Savage has decided not to play SANFL this year, so can be removed as an IN for Norwood now.

He seems like a lad who has no idea what he wants to do.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:59 pm

As mentioned in another thread, Norwood's 2012 on-field leaders are:

Captain: Kieran McGuinness
Vice Captains: Brett Zorzi, Matt Suckling, Alex Georgiou
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by erik70 Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:57 am

Kieran MCGUINESS will make a fine captain as he leads from the front and the young players would look up to him was good enough to play afl ,a great group of players as vice captains Zorzi , Sucking and Georgiou.
erik70
erik70

Teams : NORWOOD ADELAIDE CROWS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabre Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:46 am

At Norwood's AGM on Monday night Football Operations Manager - Mark Ross was questioned about Jim Savage
(by 'Baldy' I think). Mark said that Jim has re-thought his immediate future and is now training with The Redlegs.
Very Happy
Sabre
Sabre

Teams : Norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:29 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:
C.K wrote:Jimmi Savage has decided not to play SANFL this year, so can be removed as an IN for Norwood now.

He seems like a lad who has no idea what he wants to do.

Your point proven, AH Wink
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:04 am

Good to see a young lad like Alex Georgiou being given a role in the leadership group.

My neighbour is his Uncle and he tells me Alex is held in high regard at The Parade.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:58 am

Don't believe half the stories about Norwood going around at the moment, will still be very competitive this year, abiet with some uncertainty about whether a challenge for the flag is serious, or whether a strong position in the 5 will eventuate.

The only side (apart from the Eagles) that have worked out Central's game plan and have the players to execute.

Will be seething about the finish last year and the desire to redeem with be very, very strong.

Go Legs!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:25 am

Whilst Norwood have lost a few players I htink they have recruited very well & I consider they will be a force again in 2012. Players such as Batsanis & Cachia will be important to thier midfiled depth.
Newton also will very important as well. I will be very interested to see how he goes. He has struggled with injury over the past couple of yrs after showing some real promise early on
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Spice Girl wrote:Don't believe half the stories about Norwood going around at the moment

You can believe a number of them, and there is cause for concern, but the problems are not insurmountable, and should rectify themselves over the next 12 months. In the meantime, the team is taking shape and we can look forward to a competitive 2012.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:27 am

T20 match between Norwood players at Payneham Oval, kicking off around 5pm, Saturday evening, 11th February.

Bass will be playing, and former great Garry McIntosh tells me he will be a little late, but we are hoping for a cameo from him in the 2nd half of the match.

So some along, bar facilities will be open for those who like to have an ale, and enjoy the match..
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:51 am

Sabre wrote:
Flag No.9 wrote:The big question mark with Norwood for me is Newton.
I'm afraid there's no hope 'No. 9', that whole suburb has been given to Sturt.
Laughing Wink

See Arrow http://www.talkingfootysa.com/t37-first-interview

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down