Booney
howthewestwaswon
Adelaide Hawk
Scrappy
Lee
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

West now play 'Attacking Football'!! - Page 2 Empty Re: West now play 'Attacking Football'!!

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:11 am

waddayamean wrote:I always think 15 goals wins you most games of footy.

In today's environment, it would probably win 95% or more. Pity Spelly's not around, it would be interesting to know how many losing scores there have been in the past 3-4 years. I suspect very few.

Footnote: I just went back to the beginning of 2008 for Norwood. In that time we have lost our fair share of games, 43 in all, and only once did we reach 15 goals: Norwood 15-5 v Central 17-10 at Elizabeth in 2009.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

West now play 'Attacking Football'!! - Page 2 Empty Re: West now play 'Attacking Football'!!

Post by Lee Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:39 am

waddayamean wrote:
redandblack wrote:Also interesting that West;s 2012 scores have 8 games with 10 goals or more and only 5 with less.

Then again, lies, damned lies and statistics Smile

Stats are interseting. Of those 8 games how many were 15+ goals as I always think 15 goals wins you most games of footy.

I'd say only one or two.

However, I'd say a lot of games are won with less than 10 goals?

I've seen a game West won with 3 goals Very Happy
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:03 pm

The major problem I have with an emphasis on lower scoring is we are overlooking goalkicking as a vital and entertaining skill of the game.

I watch footy these days and see players in perfect position to take ownership and kick a goal, but they are so busy looking for someone to give the ball to they end up turning the ball over.

I recall in my limited time at Norwood, in training drills if you were within 50 metres and heading towards goal, Oatey would yell at you to kick the goal. These days you see players running straight at goal from 40 metres, and then chipping across ground to a team mate who is in no better position.

At low scoring matches, you can hear people breathing, having conversations about work, the kids, what they did last night, etc. I believe most people want to see goals, and plenty of them, that's what gets them on their feet and cheering.

I remember a state game at Footy Park around the early 1990s between SA & WA. It was the most boring match I've ever seen, the ball just floating around the midfield, rarely going forward, and when it did, it would come straight out again.

This went on for the greater part of 3 quarters, and the score was about 4 goals to 3. Everyone was just watching the game, nothing to cheer about, and there was almost deathly silence when a voice bellowed out "KICK SOME GOALS YOU WANKERS!!!!"

The crowd just burst out laughing, and to this day I always chuckle when I think of it.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:12 pm

The West Adelaide Girls were attacking last night West 20.16 Port 1.1.7
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Oracle Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:21 pm

The big win by Central against Sturt maybe puts West's effort into perspective, enjoyable as it was to watch.

Apart from the Norwood game, I've definitely noticed a more attacking tendency in recent matches. We now have the ability to break from defence and look towards a target in the front half of the ground.

The match against Glenelg on Friday will be a good measuring stick.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2