Pre-Season Football

Post new topic   

Go down

Pre-Season Football Empty Pre-Season Football

Post by Ben W on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:12 am

Bayman brought up recently on here the old Escort Cup Competition, interesting that Ron Fuller brought up the subject of a pre-season competition in his blog - maybe he reads this site!

"Pre-Season Football
Wednesday 22 February - By Ronny's Blog

It seems the AFL experiment of having 3 teams play each other at the same venue on the same night is gaining favor.
Perhaps in the first year it was a little confusing for the general public to embrace, but this year it appears to have been favorably accepted.
With our competition having 9 teams, there is no reason we couldn’t have a similar format to start our season off either.
To have 3 teams grouped to play over a couple of periods at a time could easily be done in the SANFL pre season too.
It would be a great night out, particularly at a venue that provides lighting as a starter to normal trials or even a prevue one week before the start of the official program.
This might be a full dress rehearsal for the home and away after all the other trials have been done.
Either way it is all done in about 3 hours and 3 sets of supporters get to see their team go around.
There ought to be no shortage of grounds available with Thebarton also having its lights up graded to be a possible venue now as well.

Ron Fuller.

http://www.safc.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42&Itemid=39
Ben W
Ben W

Join date : 2011-12-22
Posts : 1167
Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Pre-Season Football Empty Re: Pre-Season Football

Post by MightyEagles on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:50 am

I think that the SANFL should bring back the pre-season cup, I remember going to a final between Woodville and Glenelg at AAMI many years ago.
MightyEagles
MightyEagles

Join date : 2012-02-21
Posts : 116
Location : MightyEagles Memorial Timekeepers box
Teams : Eagles
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Pre-Season Football Empty Re: Pre-Season Football

Post by Doddy on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Top idea Ron. 3 teams' supporters makes the crowds bigger and the atmosphere better. And teams can take it seriously or not, the same way they do in the AFL, and I can't see how it differs much from a series of trial games for a quality pre-season hit-out. But more hoopla, and more crowds! And you'd get to see all other clubs over 4 weeks and see how they're developing.
Doddy
Doddy

Join date : 2012-02-24
Posts : 9
Location : Adelaide
Teams : CDFC, EDSC
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Pre-Season Football Empty Re: Pre-Season Football

Post by Paul on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:57 pm

The 3 top teams of each group plus the best 2nd placed team could then battle it out in semi finals.
Paul
Paul

Join date : 2012-02-02
Posts : 1717
Location : Whyalla
Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Pre-Season Football Empty Re: Pre-Season Football

Post by Adelaide Hawk on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:58 pm

To be honest, I was never all that inerested in the pre-season or night competitions back in the 1980s, so I wouldn't be very interested now. Quite happy with the three trial games as a build up to the season.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Join date : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1832
Location : Adelaide
Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Pre-Season Football Empty Re: Pre-Season Football

Post by countrycousin on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:To be honest, I was never all that inerested in the pre-season or night competitions back in the 1980s, so I wouldn't be very interested now. Quite happy with the three trial games as a build up to the season.
I agree completely. Contrived mini competitions hold no interest for me at all. Leave that to the AFL, where drumming up TV advertising has become the main concern. I always look forward to the trial games, where young up and coming kids can be tested, coaches can try out different structures and so on.
countrycousin
countrycousin

Join date : 2012-02-02
Posts : 473
My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Pre-Season Football Empty Re: Pre-Season Football

Post by testy on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:39 pm

countrycousin wrote:
Adelaide Hawk wrote:To be honest, I was never all that inerested in the pre-season or night competitions back in the 1980s, so I wouldn't be very interested now. Quite happy with the three trial games as a build up to the season.
I agree completely. Contrived mini competitions hold no interest for me at all. Leave that to the AFL, where drumming up TV advertising has become the main concern. I always look forward to the trial games, where young up and coming kids can be tested, coaches can try out different structures and so on.

I can't add any more to that. cheers cheers
testy
testy

Join date : 2012-02-02
Posts : 1432
Location : Dog House
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Pre-Season Football Empty Re: Pre-Season Football

Post by Ben W on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:49 pm

testy1 wrote:
countrycousin wrote:
Adelaide Hawk wrote:To be honest, I was never all that inerested in the pre-season or night competitions back in the 1980s, so I wouldn't be very interested now. Quite happy with the three trial games as a build up to the season.
I agree completely. Contrived mini competitions hold no interest for me at all. Leave that to the AFL, where drumming up TV advertising has become the main concern. I always look forward to the trial games, where young up and coming kids can be tested, coaches can try out different structures and so on.

I can't add any more to that. cheers cheers

Am I wrong, but do they keep two Escort Cups in the Trophy Cabinet at West Adelaide? What do those mean to the club and its members?
Ben W
Ben W

Join date : 2011-12-22
Posts : 1167
Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Pre-Season Football Empty Re: Pre-Season Football

Post by howthewestwaswon on Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:01 pm

Ben W wrote:
testy1 wrote:
countrycousin wrote:
Adelaide Hawk wrote:To be honest, I was never all that inerested in the pre-season or night competitions back in the 1980s, so I wouldn't be very interested now. Quite happy with the three trial games as a build up to the season.
I agree completely. Contrived mini competitions hold no interest for me at all. Leave that to the AFL, where drumming up TV advertising has become the main concern. I always look forward to the trial games, where young up and coming kids can be tested, coaches can try out different structures and so on.

I can't add any more to that. cheers cheers

Am I wrong, but do they keep two Escort Cups in the Trophy Cabinet at West Adelaide? What do those mean to the club and its members?

About as much as a packet of smokes... Pre-Season Football 4056091176
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Join date : 2012-01-28
Posts : 1240
Location : Henley Beach
Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Pre-Season Football Empty Re: Pre-Season Football

Post by PhilH on Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:52 pm

I used to love the Escort Cup, especially the country road trips and wish the pre-season was a bit more high profile.

Maybe this was because as a Woodville Fan we performed far better in the pre-season that we did in the real comp.

Reality is the league's limited resources are better allocated to the season proper. After all how much interest would an SANFL pre-season comp be if now held in the middle of Clipsal, Festivals, Adelaide Cup etc.
PhilH
PhilH

Join date : 2012-02-01
Posts : 861
Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Pre-Season Football Empty Re: Pre-Season Football

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


Post new topic   
 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum