Naming of the Grandstands at Adelaide Oval?

+12
Captain Centrals
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Big Phil
Brucetiki
Lee
blueandwhite
Adelaide Hawk
burgerking
PAM
Flag No.10
Admin
Ben W
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Naming of the Grandstands at Adelaide Oval?  Empty Naming of the Grandstands at Adelaide Oval?

Post by Ben W Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Noticed an article in the paper today calling for one of the Stands at Adelaide Oval to be called the David Hookes Stand. I don't have a comment on that idea, yet what I did want to raise is how it would work that the SACA would have naming rights to the stands in what is now a shared oval between the SANFL and the SACA? As I recall the SANFL have the use of it for seven months of the year and the SACA five and that the SACA and and the SANFL now jointly own and run the venue?

I would suggest that the SANFL might poll its members to see what names we might like to put up for the stands? My suggestion would be that Barrie Robran would be a worth recipient of such an honour although others might have some other ideas on whose names could be put up?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/oval-honour-a-possibility-for-hookes/story-e6frea83-1226256274795
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Naming of the Grandstands at Adelaide Oval?  Empty Re: Naming of the Grandstands at Adelaide Oval?

Post by Admin Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:22 pm

It's an interesting question.

Much would depend on the agreement betwen football and cricket, but I would think that the stands have always been named after cricket people and that will probably still be the case.

I think we can find that out, Ben. We'll try.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Naming of the Grandstands at Adelaide Oval?  Empty Re: Naming of the Grandstands at Adelaide Oval?

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:44 pm

Naming a stand after Barrie Robran would satisfy both parties.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by PAM Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:50 pm

When the Chappell Stands were put up, I was an advocate of a footy and cricket theme for those names, but perhaps named after people who had been involved in both SACA and SANFL, like Eric Freeman and KG Cunningham. KG wasn't convinced that he warranted that much recoginition though!

btw, you are not quite correct in your understanding... The oval is (and always has been) leased from the ACC via the Minister, and this lease is now made to the Stadium Management Authority, a JV whose board comprises four current members from each of the SACA and SANFL. This lease is subject to the rights of SACA and the SANFL set out in licences granted by the Minister that provide certain rights to unrestricted and exclusive use during designated periods. The periods are: Cricket from Oct 8 until March 14 each year, football from March 15 to Oct 7 each year.
PAM
PAM

Back to top Go down

Post by PAM Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:52 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:Naming a stand after Barrie Robran would satisfy both parties.

On what basis do you make this statement?
PAM
PAM

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:54 pm

townbike wrote:

On the basis that he represented the state in both cricket and football.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by PAM Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:08 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:
townbike wrote:

On the basis that he represented the state in both cricket and football.

Craig Bradley played twice as much state cricket as Robran, and he only played four times!

At least Freeman made it to test level.
PAM
PAM

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:37 pm

Calm down buddy, I responded to the first two posts which suggested, in order, that Robran would be a good choice, and then that they usually choose cricket people. It was a light-hearted suggestion in response to those posts, not an analysis of footballers who had cricket careers.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by burgerking Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:52 pm

no question about it, Timmy "Burgerking" Evans stand!!...has a cerrtain ring to it.....SmileSmileSmileSmile

seriously i would have thought "The Ebert, Robran Stand" would be a goer....respresents two of the greats and players everyone can relate to..
burgerking
burgerking

My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by PAM Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:07 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:Calm down buddy

Perfectly calm, I'm just highlighting that the choice of Robran would not be "satisfactory" to the cricket-lovers as was suggested, because his first-class cricket career was very brief.

I have much respect for Robran, and a stand in his honour would be a good choice, especially for Adelaide Oval which he graced so marvellously in the 70, but it would only be acceptable to cricket-lovers if the other end of the stand was called David Hookes, or some other equally iconic SA-cricket identity. But given the shared tenancy now, it would be preferable if names were chosen from the select few who had meaningful involvement at the top level in both sports - that's why Cunningham/Freeman works so well (not to mention their continued excellent service to the game through the media as well)
PAM
PAM

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:23 am

The two greatest things to happen to Adelaide Oval in the past 30 years is David Hookes and Darren Lehmann. To even think about name a stand in honour of anyone outside of those two would be ridiculous.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Perhaps departing from the argument, but like etihad stadium which has the Coventry and Lockett ends for AFL games , why not the Robran and Ebert ends at Adelaide Oval when afl and sanfl are played there..?..?
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Really good suggestion, B & W.

I like it.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:45 pm

From what I gather the existing stand names will remain - doesn't leave much room for footballer names to go on stands. Furthermore, I reckon the scoreboard hill should be named the David Hookes Scoreboard Hill, would be a fitting honour for him I reckon. What is now the 'family' hill would probably be the best place to name after a footballer.

I like the ideas to name the ends of the ground after footballers/cricketers as well. Would be nice if that was left to the home club/team to name to add to the home team's match day experience, but then that could cheapen the concept by having multiple names depending on who's the home side.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:07 pm

Brucetiki wrote:From what I gather the existing stand names will remain - doesn't leave much room for footballer names to go on stands. Furthermore, I reckon the scoreboard hill should be named the David Hookes Scoreboard Hill, would be a fitting honour for him I reckon. What is now the 'family' hill would probably be the best place to name after a footballer.

I like the ideas to name the ends of the ground after footballers/cricketers as well. Would be nice if that was left to the home club/team to name to add to the home team's match day experience, but then that could cheapen the concept by having multiple names depending on who's the home side.

I think the Rudi Mandemaker and Grant Coffee Ends would have a nice ring to it for Central games Brucetiki, yeah? Wink
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:10 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:From what I gather the existing stand names will remain - doesn't leave much room for footballer names to go on stands. Furthermore, I reckon the scoreboard hill should be named the David Hookes Scoreboard Hill, would be a fitting honour for him I reckon. What is now the 'family' hill would probably be the best place to name after a footballer.

I think the Rudi Mandemaker and Grant Coffee Ends would have a nice ring to it for Central games Brucetiki, yeah? Wink

And the Chris and James Gowans wings

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:42 pm

I have heard that whilst they may choose to give some structures names in honour of past champs, the current trend is to name them more generically for the easier identification by patrons. Particularly ones from interstate.
IE: The Western Stand as it is currently known.

It could also be a preference if a stand is to have a name in honour of someone, to have one for cricket and one for footy. Although that could get confusing.

Don Bradman looks likely to move his cover drive to somewhere else too.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:I have heard that whilst they may choose to give some structures names in honour of past champs, the current trend is to name them more generically for the easier identification by patrons. Particularly ones from interstate.
IE: The Western Stand as it is currently known.

I understand the original names for the western stand will be restored.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Centrals Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Just as long as there's no 'Mike Rann' or 'Kevin Foley' stand.
Captain Centrals
Captain Centrals

Teams : Centrals, Rangers, Villa

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:27 pm

I think all of the stands at Adelaide Oval should retain all of there current names and all new stands to be named after other great SA cricketers from the past (maybe Les Favel, David Hookes) just to name 2.

I don't like the names of footballers being used at Adelaide Oval, just doesn't sit right with me. scratch

How many stands at footy park are named after footballers, and thats been there for near on 40 years ?

testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:38 pm

Not sure if Mr Whicker will cop that idea sweetly.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:27 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Not sure if Mr Whicker will cop that idea sweetly.

Mr Whicker had 38 years to name stands at footy park but it never happened, so I don't see why he would bleat & moan with this.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:49 pm

I agree with testy1, it just doesn't seem appropriate to name stands at Adelaide Oval after footballers. The rich history of the ground is mainly cricket. We have the Bradman Stand ... how would the Larwood Stand look? Smile
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:50 pm

I too would prefer them to be cricket and even keep them what they used to be named.

But the Western Stand after 18 Months has not been named differently in honour of anyone.

It was one of the design consultant team that mentioned the new trend in giving them more generic names to assist visitors.

I still think this is a reasonably possible way they will go.

But if Legends' names come into calculations, I still reckon Mr Whicker will want a Robran or Farmer or Ebert name on something.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:36 pm

Just out of interest, when the MCG was rebuilt a few years ago with new stands all round, not one was named after a footballer that I am aware of.

Last edited by testy1 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next