The AFL media re: Josh Hunt

4 posters

Go down

The AFL media re: Josh Hunt Empty The AFL media re: Josh Hunt

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri May 25, 2012 7:41 pm

The media showed themselves up once more in their reporting of the Josh Hunt mishap late in the final quarter against Collingwood, and I would like to have my say. Josh Hunt was NOT trying to mark that ball, he was trying to knock it down to a team mate, but it backfired. If he had his time again, he would have gone for the mark instead. He made a mistake, which was embarrassing enough, what he didn't need, or deserve, was the media questioning his courage.

We saw people such was Matthew Lloyd and Wayne Carey sinking the boots in, and it was really over the top reporting. Neil Balme was on SEN today and said that certain media people used the incident to try and create an illusion as to how how courageous they themselves were. It had more to do with self promotion than balanced reporting. I have to say, I agree with Neil 100%.

I am so tired of journalists treating every mistake a player makes as a crime against society, one would believe these people never made a mistake, which we all know is garbage. One played for free kicks most of his career, and the other slept with a team mate's wife, and yet they feel it necessary to question the courage of Jodsh Hunt.

Last season we saw the media try to destroy Taylor Walker for having a beer a day before the Crows were playing interstate. What escaped their narrow attention is the fact Walker had played for Norwood the night before and was not in the travelling Crows' squad. Once again, pathetic reporting.

All this on top of Matthew Richardson claiming the reason players are missing simple shots at goal is because the posts are too high .... jeez, give me a break. We really deserve a better class of "expert" covering our game.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

The AFL media re: Josh Hunt Empty Re: The AFL media re: Josh Hunt

Post by howthewestwaswon Sat May 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:The media showed themselves up once more in their reporting of the Josh Hunt mishap late in the final quarter against Collingwood, and I would like to have my say. Josh Hunt was NOT trying to mark that ball, he was trying to knock it down to a team mate, but it backfired. If he had his time again, he would have gone for the mark instead. He made a mistake, which was embarrassing enough, what he didn't need, or deserve, was the media questioning his courage.

We saw people such was Matthew Lloyd and Wayne Carey sinking the boots in, and it was really over the top reporting. Neil Balme was on SEN today and said that certain media people used the incident to try and create an illusion as to how how courageous they themselves were. It had more to do with self promotion than balanced reporting. I have to say, I agree with Neil 100%.

I am so tired of journalists treating every mistake a player makes as a crime against society, one would believe these people never made a mistake, which we all know is garbage. One played for free kicks most of his career, and the other slept with a team mate's wife, and yet they feel it necessary to question the courage of Jodsh Hunt.

Last season we saw the media try to destroy Taylor Walker for having a beer a day before the Crows were playing interstate. What escaped their narrow attention is the fact Walker had played for Norwood the night before and was not in the travelling Crows' squad. Once again, pathetic reporting.

All this on top of Matthew Richardson claiming the reason players are missing simple shots at goal is because the posts are too high .... jeez, give me a break. We really deserve a better class of "expert" covering our game.

I have to agree with Richo on this one slightly, the 'optical illusion' of the goalposts being a pretty long 6.4m apart doesn't work when your goalposts are 60m high or whatever.

However, I believe nowadays not enough clubs are working on set shots, rather the silly little dribble goals and checksides from impossible angles are more of a priority.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat May 26, 2012 6:10 pm

Richo's comment explains to me why he missed so many easy shots, and maybe a lot of other players are doing the same. The only time you kick at posts is when you are on a tight angle on the boundary line and have to ease the ball around them.

When kicking with plenty of daylight, you ignore the posts and pick a spot behind the goals where you want the ball to land. The height of the posts doesn't enter into it.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 am

Wayne Carey was a little more diplomatic about Josh Hunt on The Game Plan on Thursday night.

It's all a bit over the top for mine. Yea he wouldn't be happy with his efforts, but I'm sure the coaches highlighted it with him during the week and he will make damn sure it doesn't happen again.

I agree with your thoughts regarding the media. There are so many outlets and formats vying for an audience that these days they will sensationalise anything to get the jump on their competitors.

It's for that reason I find myself watching less and less TV these days.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Sun May 27, 2012 11:00 am

I think Josh crashed in harder on friday night after that media attention.
The Emperor
The Emperor

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sun May 27, 2012 11:04 am

The Emperor wrote:I think Josh crashed in harder on friday night after that media attention.

In other words, he played his normal game. The main point of my post was that it wasn't even a quation of courage, it was a question of decision making. The only thing he was guilty of was trying to tap the ball forward to give a team mate the run of the ball. He should have taken the mark, then dished it off. He made an error. I see errors by the bucket full each match, why single out one player and question his courage?
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Sun May 27, 2012 11:09 am

Yes I agree. I did see parts of that match and poor goal kicking wasnt highlighted, dropping a chest mark 10m out from goal, wasnt really highlighted and criticised.

Also I think that some of these commentators just make these outrageous comments to gain attention.

The Emperor
The Emperor

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sun May 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:Richo's comment explains to me why he missed so many easy shots, and maybe a lot of other players are doing the same. The only time you kick at posts is when you are on a tight angle on the boundary line and have to ease the ball around them.

When kicking with plenty of daylight, you ignore the posts and pick a spot behind the goals where you want the ball to land. The height of the posts doesn't enter into it.

Picture yourself having a kick from 50m towards the goalposts at AAMI Stadium (6.4m apart) and then picture yourself having a kick from the goalsquare towards two witches hats situated on the 50m line (also 6.4m apart). Those witches hats will look much wider apart even though they are the same distance between them as the goalposts are. That's your optical illusion.

How do I know this? Cause we experimented with the same argument in PE class at university! It's a HUGE difference to the eye. Needless to say, I was more successful kicking towards the witches hats then I was the goalposts, probably because I felt that I didn't have to be anywhere near as accurate to be successful.

If only Richo knew about you and your whereabouts when he was playing. He may have well smashed Lockett's record with your expertise... Wink
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down