2022 sanfl grand final North v Norwood

+3
Lee
robranisgod
bayman
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2022 sanfl grand final North v Norwood  Empty 2022 sanfl grand final North v Norwood

Post by bayman Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:45 pm

The best team all year taking on the team with the best form in the second half of the season

I think (& pray) that North will be too big, too strong & too quick for Norwood, I think that the Redlegs best chance of winning is if it’s wet, North by about 6 goals

I’ll say it thankfully Norwood got through as it’ll get another 15,000 through the turnstiles & given a good day I think 40,000 can be surpassed
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

2022 sanfl grand final North v Norwood  Empty Re: 2022 sanfl grand final North v Norwood

Post by robranisgod Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:31 am

One for the trainspotters amongst us.
North vs Norwood is the most commonly occurring Grand Final not featuring Port as one of the clubs.
This will be the seventh time they have clashed with North currently leading 4 wins to 2. I hope North make it 5 to 2 this weekend.
Another stat is that in the 1933 First semi final Norwood and North drew and the following week Norwood beat North by a point. They never beat North
in a final for 62 years after that until they beat North by 11 points in 1995. North beat Norwood in 10 finals in that time.
It all means nothing come this Sunday.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

2022 sanfl grand final North v Norwood  Empty Re: 2022 sanfl grand final North v Norwood

Post by Lee Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:54 pm

A very meritorious win by Norwood, full of grit and belief.

I just got the feeling that Adelaide just thought a win would happen and didn't have that ingrained team spirit.

It was a tough game, though and you'd think North should win, but looks like a great game coming up.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:17 pm

Lee wrote:A very meritorious win by Norwood, full of grit and belief.

I just got the feeling that Adelaide just thought a win would happen and didn't have that ingrained team spirit.

It was a tough game, though and you'd think North should win, but looks like a great game coming up.

Just on yesterdays match & the write up in todays paper, in a paragraph it says “Adelaide had only 14 listed players” that’s 14 more than Norwood…..unbelievable comment
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:47 am

And there is further complaining from both Adelaide and Port over their restrictions in the sanfl.

Their sense of entitlement is outstanding!
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:30 am

Still hard to go past North.
No sentimental favourite here either.
Except for supporters of those clubs of course.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:34 pm

You'd think North would win, but I thought Norwood were excellent last week and will take a lot of belief into the game.

Either Norwood narrowly or a North blowout?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:04 am

I bought the grand final budget at the 16’s and 18’s grand finals tonight (Friday night) and I thought it was a very poor effort given it’s the leagues biggest day of the year, usually it’s a great publication but this year it is no different to the budget we get throughout the home and away season, the only difference is it is $5.00 instead of $4.00
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:16 pm

Lee wrote:You'd think North would win, but I thought Norwood were excellent last week and will take a lot of belief into the game.

Either Norwood narrowly or a North blowout?

As it turned out. A win by Norwood of quality and belief.

Well done to the 'Legs.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:30 pm

I thought at crucial times North played within themselves and were not as sure gjng forward as Norwood. The Legs looked a little more up and about to make things happen.

......and they did when it counted.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:54 am

My take on what was a great contest….

North out of the blocks quickly with plenty of run

Norwood regrouped at 1/4 time & changed tactics to one on one football & making every ball a contest this eliminating Norths’ run on game & obviously the rain helped with this as well

Lockyer (who I thought was playing very well with his tackling & chasing) had the set shot late in the game & he was being too careful (nerves) & tried to guide the ball instead of kicking through it & failed to even score, even a point would have them 6 points up & had Panos still kicked the goal it was extra time

However when you win or lose by 1 point, you can pick out numerous reasons why you won or lost

I think the inclusion of Surman from Port mid season was instrumental in Norwoods’ second half charge, while at the same time North lost the goalsneak Bauer

Congratulations to Norwood
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:04 pm

Good point about Surman and Bauer, also I thought the weather changed the game after quarter time.

North had a few who struggled to find the footy.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:26 pm

Lee wrote:Good point about Surman and Bauer, also I thought the weather changed the game after quarter time.

North had a few who struggled to find the footy.

I agree with that point about a few who struggled to find the footy. I think North had 9 players with less than 10 possessions, Norwood 5 players. Too few kept North in the game. I thought the better side won and in retrospect am surprised North almost won it.
Perhaps I am forgetting the first 20 minutes of the game when North seemed well on top.
I have been following North for 63 years and for virtually the whole of my life if the sun is up and the sky is blue, it is North Adelaide weather, the moment there is rain, North are no good things. The exception of course was 1971-1972 when North could play in all conditions, but they had a genius running round who could handle a wet ball as though it were a basketball.
Getting back to Bauer, he was out on the ground immediately after the siren and was in his North uniform back at the club which augurs well for the future, should he not make it at Richmond. He probably would have made the difference but we will never know. Then again if Glenelg had not lost Turner and Durden, but we could go on forever.
Another thing is that North had a very good run with injuries all year, but to lose Hewett at the end of the minor round and then to lose Elbrow and Minervini virtually by quarter time was a blow, but once again that is the luck of the draw.
I believe that there was a Norwood player who played the finals with a badly broken hand and still performed wonderfully.
North gave their best players to Campbell Combe, Will Combe, Magor, Young, C Craig and Spina. Wigg started the game brilliantly but disappeared almost completely. Did Norwood put a hard tag on him? I just didn't notice him after quarter time.
And finally surely North must try to find a genuine competitive ruckman, like Jordan Sweet was in 2018. Harvey is a very good footballer but is almost always found wanting against the top echelon of ruckmen. With his strong hands and determination in the air he would be a top key forward as indeed he was in the 2018 finals,
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:34 pm

Agree with most of those comments, RIG.

I doubted the wisdom of keeping Elbrow on the ground when he obviously was restricted, even allowing for his gift goal. He usually provides a big spark when fit. Wigg was tagged after quarter time.

Also agree about the ruck. Harvey was good as a plus-one late in defence, but it was asking a lot of him to ruck most of the day against Boyd, especially as (being careful here) that Mitch doesn't look to be in peak condition. I think I even saw Lockyer (?) take one ruck contest.

When the sun was out, North looked a million dollars, when it rained, plenty stood up with desperation, but your small forwards weren't suited and disappeared, partly through limited opportunities.

I just got the feeling tnat it was similar to the previous Norwood v Crows game and that Norwood had the self belief just a little more than the more talented side.

Just my thoughts.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:09 pm

Congratulations to CK on his beloved Redlegs winning the Premiership
The only time I thought NW could win this year's Premiership was when Matthew Panos kicked the goal that put NW in front.

I have to agree with just about all thats been posted in the game
I do feel if it didnt rain when NA led by 2 goals, that they looked the winners
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:42 pm

Bit late to the party, and don't have a heap more to add to the accurate contributions already. Gutsy win by the Legs playing a bit of the Richmond "chaos ball" style backed up by tight checking, tackling and all round pressure. I thought we were good for the win, albeit in a game with such a fine margin it obviously could have gone either way, so that might be just bias on my behalf. Commiserations to Roosters fans, with 5 minutes to go in the game one set of supporters was going to be heartbroken. Plenty of courage and grit shown by players from both sides, especially those (And I believe there was a few from each side) that came into the game carrying significant injuries. From a Norwood perspective, that is this era's 78' (albeit the gap between us and North likely not as great as with Sturt that year). Amazing day I got to share with close family and friends, and especially my youngest son who in his 2nd season of following football was tinny enough to snag the Norwood/Geelong double. Happy off-season to all.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:00 pm

[quote="robranisgod"]
Lee wrote:
I believe that there was a Norwood player who played the finals with a badly broken hand and still performed wonderfully.
North gave their best players to Campbell Combe, Will Combe, Magor, Young, C Craig and Spina. Wigg started the game brilliantly but disappeared almost completely. Did Norwood put a hard tag on him? I just didn't notice him after quarter time.

From Norwood Panos, Rohkar and Heard played through significant injury and of course the Captain Nunn was still a bit underdone after missing so many through injury in late minor round. Rohkar especially heroic, probably shouldn't have played again for the season after his injury in round 17, yet not only played all finals but acquitted himself exceptionally well. I believe North took a few players with injury in aswell, I guess by that stage of the season any clubs are going to have players with niggles. Well done to all for fronting up.

RIG my memory might be off, but I think we sent Kennerly to Wigg after 1/4 time
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:58 pm

Just as an aside, about 3 years ago, West identified a player who we thought no other club would know about, playing a bit of VFA and local footy. We looked like getting him, but one other SANFL club was into him also and got him.

Nik Rokhar would have been good at Westies Sad
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:30 pm

Rokhar might be at South………….Port next year in Queensland
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:11 am

Lee wrote:Just as an aside, about 3 years ago, West identified a player who we thought no other club would know about, playing a bit of VFA and local footy.  We looked like getting him, but one other SANFL club was into him also and got him.

Good player, plays a bit in the mould of Jason Porplyzia
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:18 pm

Scrunch wrote:
Lee wrote:Just as an aside, about 3 years ago, West identified a player who we thought no other club would know about, playing a bit of VFA and local footy.  We looked like getting him, but one other SANFL club was into him also and got him.

High praise, but he's been very good.

Any likely losses at the 'Legs, Scrunch?

PS: I helped out Plympton FC this year and met up with an ex-Norwood & West player, Pat Levicki. His team, Pembroke, went top.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:04 pm

Lee wrote:
Scrunch wrote:

High praise, but he's been very good.

Any likely losses at the 'Legs, Scrunch?

PS: I helped out Plympton FC this year and met up with an ex-Norwood & West player, Pat Levicki.  His team, Pembroke, went top.

Gday Lee, hope you're well mate.

I don't think I ever met Pat directly, but those I knew who knew him always spoke well of him.

I'd imagine there will be some outs at the Parade mate, but I'm not aware of many yet. Had heard Rantall will go back home and there's been online reports of Rokahr moving up North. Both would be big losses. Rest might depend on the drafts I'd say mate.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:30 pm

Yes, Rantall has been very good.

I think a big part of Norwood's rise has been the contribution of some 'lesser lights' recruited.

I'm good, mate, all the best.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:05 am

Lee wrote:Yes, Rantall has been very good.

I think a big part of Norwood's rise has been the contribution of some 'lesser lights' recruited.

I'm good, mate, all the best.

Hearing now that quite a few of the Legs depth type players might be on the move.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:55 am

There was a time when many players would play 50 to even a hundred Ressies games before playing league.

Different times and people now
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next