State game S.A v W.A

5 posters

Go down

State game S.A v W.A Empty State game S.A v W.A

Post by bayman Sun May 16, 2021 9:37 am

S.A. 20.10.130 def W.A 11.11.77

Fos Williams medalist Matthew Broadbent, worthy winner but I thought his team mate Bryce Gibbs may have just edged him out

In another stat from the match

W.A. 11.11.77 def Glenelg 12.3.75

Well done to the lads, they played with passion & did our state proud
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

State game S.A v W.A Empty Re: State game S.A v W.A

Post by Scrappy Mon May 17, 2021 8:13 pm

In all fairness GL only lost by 2 points because they kicked straight
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue May 18, 2021 9:01 am

These games are just not what they once were. AFL aside, I think in this format of state game, interest is now waning.

Not much promotion from the SANFL and as a curtain raiser to an AFL game probably isn't going to attract the likely supporters who would attend.

I understand it wasn't on the digital pass and no TV coverage.
The news coverage of the game seemed to indicate an almost empty stadium.

It just seems to me that they could do a lot better with this, if they are going to persist with state games. I would be pitching to those who are interested and not on the back of the AFL.

A state game may attract 10,000 at the very most, probably only 5000-6000 in reality. I would think. Why not play it at a suburban round capable of holding that many. I'd go to that, but not with an AFL game.

You could still promote it better with this. I think keep SANFL to the SANFL and leave the AFL alone. The 2 don't mix in my view. The oddities of the Crows and Power in the SANFL are evidence of that.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Tue May 18, 2021 12:42 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:These games are just not what they once were. AFL aside, I think in this format of state game, interest is now waning.

Not much promotion from the SANFL and as a curtain raiser to an AFL game probably isn't going to attract the likely supporters who would attend.

I understand it wasn't on the digital pass and no TV coverage.
The news coverage of the game seemed to indicate an almost empty stadium.

It just seems to me that they could do a lot better with this, if they are going to persist with state games. I would be pitching to those who are interested and not on the back of the AFL.

A state game may attract 10,000 at the very most, probably only 5000-6000 in reality. I would think. Why not play it at a suburban round capable of holding that many. I'd go to that, but not with an AFL game.

You could still promote it better with this. I think keep SANFL to the SANFL and leave the AFL alone. The 2 don't mix in my view. The oddities of the Crows and Power in the SANFL are evidence of that.

To be fair to the SANFL in terms of venues - when the 2012 state game versus WA was played at Glenelg the attendance was 2843. The next season's game versus the NEAFL at Richmond Oval had an attendance of around 1300 - with both matches being pre-2014 (AFL reserves teams in the SANFL).

I grew up loving interstate football and couldn't wait to go to the games in the 80;s but unfortunately it is not what it was in many ways.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed May 19, 2021 12:05 pm

Perhaps my estimates of attendance were a bit over stated.

But surely 5000 is do-able if the right format and promotion could occur, especially when it doesn't clash with other local games.

Maybe I'm just dreaming, but its hard to say what could be possible.

I guess it is not only about a State Game in isolation. It is probably more about the general state of the nation regarding SANFL footy.

You just get the feeling that nobody really has any ideas on how to maximise its potential without diminishing it by giving ground to the AFL influence.

This has been debated over and over, and perhaps people are just resigned to the outcome that natural causes will deliver.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed May 19, 2021 9:29 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:

You just get the feeling that nobody really has any ideas on how to maximise its potential without diminishing it by giving ground to the AFL influence.

I think those ideas are more likely to be found if the people in charge are passionate SANFL people, rather than people looking to work their way into the AFL system.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down