+5
waddayamean
bayman
PhilH
UncleHuey
Brucetiki
9 posters

Go down

Round 14: Norwood v South - Saturday 2 July @ Coopers Stadium Empty Round 14: Norwood v South - Saturday 2 July @ Coopers Stadium

Post by Brucetiki Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:00 pm

Norwood (9th 3-8 42.83%) v South (3rd 8-3 53.35%)
Saturday 2 July
Coopers Stadium

Reserves: 11:25am
League: 2:10pm

Both sides are coming off losses. Who will bounce back this week?

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Round 14: Norwood v South - Saturday 2 July @ Coopers Stadium Empty Re: Round 14: Norwood v South - Saturday 2 July @ Coopers Stadium

Post by bayman Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:48 am

South by 4 or 5 goals
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Round 14: Norwood v South - Saturday 2 July @ Coopers Stadium Empty Re: Round 14: Norwood v South - Saturday 2 July @ Coopers Stadium

Post by UncleHuey Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:03 pm

Panthers should win comfortably. Still looking like a Grand Final contender whist Norwood is in the battle to avoid the spoon.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:26 pm

Would not write off Norwood at home.

Reckon a few changes in the side this week for us (watch this space!)

South by 2 goals ( just !!! )
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by PhilH Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:14 pm

Round 14: Norwood v South - Saturday 2 July @ Coopers Stadium Lifefm10
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:11 am

PhilH wrote:Round 14: Norwood v South - Saturday 2 July @ Coopers Stadium Lifefm10

Why are win/loss stats only quoted from 1907? There is no logic in choosing that date. I can understand if 1897 is used but not 1907.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:37 pm

In short the first major stats book on the SANFL in Modern Times ... LEAGUE FOOTBALL In SOUTH AUSTRALIA in 1976 compiled by Ern Kolosche did the head to head stats from 1907 which is when clubs were given zones and name changed to South Australian Football League.

Every SANFL stats book since has followed that decision.

There is book that did explain why, I think there was a fair bit of "rafferty rules" pre 1907 re rule interpretations etc that was not formalised until 1907.  When I find the book I will explain further.
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:34 am

bayman wrote:South by 4 or 5 goals

NW 8-8 [56]
SA 12-13 [85]

SUMMARY
Eddy did some remarkable things
Ellison is a brilliant mark
Panos played well first up from a long spell
South had forwards who took enough marks
Norwood had forwards who didnt take enough marks
Norwood made more clangers than South

Norwoods first 10 minutes was close to their best form of the season
From that point till stumps they played poorly at times

The better side this season and on the day won the match
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:40 am

entertaining match, Norwood tried hard & never gave up & i question a couple of their aggressive tactics by targeting players & one player in particular, perhaps memories from the last clash of these two, however South was always going to prevail from quarter time onwards, i saw it once early in the season & twice yesterday although the ball had to come back for one of them, Brett Eddy DOES handball Very Happy Shocked & didn't he give Georgiou a complete bath ?

unless i missed him coming back on,  think South were down a man for a long time, don't know who it was & hope he is ok ?

any news on him ?

was Norwood responsible for the (very different) after game entertainment near Subway ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:20 pm

waddayamean wrote:Another loss for Norwood. Anyone still feel Warren is safe or is it just one of those years ?

surely he deserves another year, all teams would struggle with the amount of injuries they've had, watching yesterdays match, there is one move i'd make i'd let Lewis Johnston roam around the forward line starting across half forward rather than have him starting in the goal square, he's got a 60 metre kick why not utilize it ? yesterday they played name players who probably needed a run in the twos & on the twos they are going all right why not give a couple a game ? the other thing that is obvious to me is the defensive game plan was ruined when they brought in the ''last touch rule'' & wasn't that brought in fairly late in the off season ?

they aren't being flogged so it isn't the coach, its a lot of reasons which add up & i've given a couple of them
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:32 pm

fair enough but don't you think had all the defensive teams known of the rule change earlier, things would have been ''tweaked'' a bit ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:19 pm

i agree it is garbage to watch, all i was saying it probably hindered them a bit, mind you it hasn't hindered South or the Eagles much
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:33 pm

PhilH wrote:In short the first major stats book on the SANFL in Modern Times ... LEAGUE FOOTBALL In SOUTH AUSTRALIA in 1976 compiled by Ern Kolosche did the head to head stats from 1907 which is when clubs were given zones and name changed to South Australian Football League.

There is book that did explain why, I think there was a fair bit of "rafferty rules" pre 1907 re rule interpretations etc that was not formalised until 1907.  When I find the book I will explain further.

That is not correct. Zones became compulsory in 1899 after "electorate" football was introduced in 1897. The preeminent sporting historian in Adelaide, Dr Bernard Whimpress has gone to great lengths to prove that all records should be from at least 1897. All that happened in 1907 is that the SAFA changed its name to SAFL. If that is the only reason to state stats from then you may as well start at 1927 or whenever it was when SAFL became SANFL.

Dr Whimpress has written many articles on the subject. I will attach some when I find it.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:45 pm

robranisgod wrote:
PhilH wrote:In short the first major stats book on the SANFL in Modern Times ... LEAGUE FOOTBALL In SOUTH AUSTRALIA in 1976 compiled by Ern Kolosche did the head to head stats from 1907 which is when clubs were given zones and name changed to South Australian Football League.

That is not correct. Zones became compulsory in 1899 after "electorate" football was introduced in 1897. The preeminent sporting historian in Adelaide, Dr Bernard Whimpress has gone to great lengths to prove that all records should be from at least 1897. All that happened in 1907 is that the SAFA changed its name to SAFL. If that is the only reason to state stats from then you may as well start at 1927 or whenever it was when SAFL became SANFL.

Dr Whimpress has written many articles on the subject. I will attach some when I find it.

You are on the right track, RIG. Zones came into vogue in 1897 and became official in 1899. All football historians that I have talked to agree that 1907 has no relevance with respect to stats. If you refer to the papers of the early 1970s premierships were only counted from 1907 until historians like Dr Whimpress published their findings.

Dr Whimpress actually went back further and recognized premierships from 1877 onwards, so the real argument should be do football records start from 1877 or 1897. There should be no place for 1907.

I am very surprised that you still use 1907, I thought that had been discredited as a date for SANFL stats about thirty years ago.
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:58 pm

Yes it was the great North Adelaide man Charles Nitschke that was a BIG instigator of the Electorate system in the late 1890s

Had he and his cohorts not introduced the Electorate system, perhaps Norwood and South would have more SANFL Premierships than Port Adelaide as I post !
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:00 pm

I think a few vultures were circling around waiting for us to fail in this game.

Tough contest but pleased that South stood up when challenged in the final quarter.

Seccull, Rose, Crabb, Liddle, Cross, Bass best on ground for me.

Chippendale/Wilson were everywhere....best for Legs.

No love lost between the 2 sides with a few cheap payback shots to Bassy/Gulden.

I was really proud the boys stood up on Saturday.  Now for the Bays at the Bay.
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down