$46 000 Passion for the Sturt Football Club.

+4
countrycousin
bayman
Ben W
Paul
8 posters

Go down

$46 000 Passion for the Sturt Football Club.  Empty $46 000 Passion for the Sturt Football Club.

Post by Ben W Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:11 am

All I can say to Angel Fernandez is well done mate, a great article and I love your passion for the Sturt Football Club!

From the article,

"While he and his partner Helen were shopping at Harbour Town, Fernandez passed a Port Adelaide Football Club kiosk where he was pressed by a salesman pushing the Power product: “What team do you barrack for?”

Fernandez replied: “Sturt.”

The Power staffer came back with: “No, what AFL team?”

Fernandez insisted: “Sturt!”

“I was making the point — I have just one football team, Sturt, and I don’t know anything else,” Fernandez says. “And I left thinking, ‘How did this happen? When did the great names of the SANFL stop being household names?"

Continued at - http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/how-one-fans-reluctance-to-hop-on-to-an-afl-bandwagon-has-put-the-sturt-football-club-story-in-print/story-fni5f22o-1227482102329
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

$46 000 Passion for the Sturt Football Club.  Empty Re: $46 000 Passion for the Sturt Football Club.

Post by Paul Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:48 am

Can't read that unless I subscribe to the Herald Sun Neutral
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

$46 000 Passion for the Sturt Football Club.  Empty Re: $46 000 Passion for the Sturt Football Club.

Post by Ben W Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:06 pm

Interesting, I cant get it back either! Will see if I can cut and paste the article from another PC.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:34 pm

Link works for me.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:28 pm

link doesn't work for me either, things like that happen to a few of us who are in the Mr. Angel Fernandez corner, when asked i've basically said the same things he has said & have added ''i have no interest in a Victorian based & biased competition'' which surprisingly most people agree with
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:29 am

Some AFL pundits and media just don't get it that people can follow footy very passionately without giving a toss about the AFL.

They just think you're weird.

AFL is not a code, it is the name of a league. Australian Rules Football is the code.

If you ask Queenslanders this question they will invariably answer that they play AFL. Well not exactly correct unless they are on a Lions or Suns list. But otherwise it is "League" or "Union". They don't say "I play NRL".

Is this the product of the media savvy AFL's way of pushing their own marketing barrow rather than the code itself?
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:49 pm

I haven't posted for a while, but I'm still around, going to Sturt games, VP meetings etc. Things can only get better hey? Laughing But I'd like to pay my tribute to Angel. I've met him and his passion for the game and the Sturt FC is brilliant.
Chambo I'm wondering after reading the news this afternoon, how long it will be before they change the name of the game we all love to "Murdoch Rules"? More to the point what miserable pittance of those billions will filter down to the grass roots, where volunteers sell raffle tickets to survive? Maybe we won't hold our collective breath eh? Rolling Eyes
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:55 am

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:
If you ask Queenslanders this question they will invariably answer that they play AFL. Well not exactly correct unless they are on a Lions or Suns list. But otherwise it is "League" or "Union". They don't say "I play NRL".

Is this the product of the media savvy AFL's way of pushing their own marketing barrow rather than the code itself?

Yes it is. I heard McLachlan this morning say his number one priority was to keep the AFL as the country's number one game. As you say, it's a comp, not a game, and it's a comp that crushes other comps if they get in their way, which is hardly the behaviour of a body that holds itself out as the guardian of the game.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:18 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:
Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:

Yes it is. I heard McLachlan this morning say his number one priority was to keep the AFL as the country's number one game. As you say, it's a comp, not a game, and it's a comp that crushes other comps if they get in their way, which is hardly the behaviour of a body that holds itself out as the guardian of the game.

QED I think.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:10 pm

Mr Fernandez pours his heart and soul into a great book about the Sturt Football CLub and all you sour sobs can do is turn it into an anti-AFL can kicking adventure.

Well played men, well played.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:34 pm

Booney, Mr Fernandez is the one quoted saying he has no interest in the AFL. How can extrapolating that into a point about the way the AFL has equated itself with the actual code be "turning it into" some anti-AFL thing.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:10 pm

Ben W's opening stanza didn't even mention his book. It wasn't about his book. Rolling Eyes
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:40 am

The link notes "....has put the Sturt football club in print".

Surely reason to celebrate this body of work?

Who am I kidding, wasting my time in here....
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:00 pm

Booney it's fine and dandy for you to be happy with the AFL but perhaps if your club wasn't a part of it and if your club had instead found itself playing only in a "second-tier" competition, diminished and disrespected by the AFL, you might feel differently.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:28 pm

You,sir,have no idea how I feel about the AFL reserves in the SANFL.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:40 pm

I've read what you've posted about that. What I'm referring to is your derision of criticism of the AFL, as if it's illegitimate.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:04 pm

Illegitimate? Nope. Please yourselves, fair to say I won't bother clicking "Seriously SANFL" again.

Anyway, well done to the chap with the Sturt FC book. His efforts on that should be applauded.

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:13 pm

How about people stop talking about leaving footy sites because they disagree with what people say?

This site used to be criticised for being 'too polite'. Now it's too robust.

Surely there's room for posters to disagree and not get too precious about it?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:20 pm

You would think, even if it seems to be harping old topics.

Some of us can't let it go. I am sorry if that displeases some and if you feel the need to vacate then so be it.

But yes the book is a very good thing. I never tried to infer otherwise.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down