Ben W
UncleHuey
Scrunch
Lee
firstblood
Admin
13 posters

Go down

Adelaide Football Club Coach Phil Walsh Murdered Empty Adelaide Football Club Coach Phil Walsh Murdered

Post by Admin Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:38 am

In tragic circumstances, Adelaide Football Club coach Phil Walsh was found dead overnight. His son has been taken into custody as a result.

Shocking, tragic, horrible time. The Talking Footy SA team extend its deepest sympathies to his family, friends and the Adelaide Football Club at this very difficult time.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Adelaide Football Club Coach Phil Walsh Murdered Empty Re: Adelaide Football Club Coach Phil Walsh Murdered

Post by Big Phil Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:07 am

Simply unbelievable...

Still doesn't seem like it has really happened...

So, so sad Sad

Condolonces to the Walsh family, the AFL community and the Adelaide FC...

UNBELIEVABLE !!!
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Adelaide Football Club Coach Phil Walsh Murdered Empty Re: Adelaide Football Club Coach Phil Walsh Murdered

Post by Brucetiki Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:06 am

How the heck do you process something like this?

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:22 am

I can't process it really at the moment.

I keep thinking about what it means for my club - and then I think that those sort of thoughts are just selfish and inconsequential.

I think about the players - and then I think about his family.

So many conflicting thoughts and feelings about this one.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:01 am

Sad to hear what happened...stunned at the moment.

But here's a question that every one is asking, will the Game v Geelog go ahead? i believe the AFL will make a decision later today. Also, surely it will impact on the Panthers v Crows reserves game tomorrow.
firstblood
firstblood

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:03 am

I've heard that the AFL have left it to the Adelaide FC to make the call.

Ultimately it has to be up to the playing group I think.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:14 am

Gingernuts wrote:I've heard that the AFL have left it to the Adelaide FC to make the call.

Ultimately it has to be up to the playing group I think.

Spot on.  At this stage, I can't see how the SANFL squad would be ready to play tomorrow, let alone the AFL side playing on Sunday.

On a side note, Adelaide's next three matches are against sides where Walsh had an influence at (Geelong, West Coast, Port).

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:21 am

Some quality little articles already coming out this morning:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-03/holmes-phil-walshs-death-we-all-lost-something-today/6592386
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:23 am

..and some lovely words from the usually satirical Titus O'Reily:

Some random thoughts on a bad morning

All we are really looking for in this life is a connection.

For all the brash talk sometimes of not needing anyone else, all we really want is some connection to other people, to something bigger than ourselves, to the broad mass of humankind.

It’s kind of the reason we follow sport as passionately as we do. Deep down on a some level we know it’s silly, pointless really in the scheme of things.

Yet it’s never really about a game where a bunch of people chase a ball around or arguing about whether one grown man properly disposed of the ball or held a mark long enough. It’s the human element, that connection to other people, often people we have never met.

It’s even people we’ve never heard about but we know are out there. That mass of footy fans out there, all riding the highs and lows, all pouring time into something that only has meaning because we all choose to give it meaning.

There are far better people than me to eulogise Phil Walsh. I imagine what we are all feeling is a very poor facsimile of what the people who actually knew him are currently feeling.

So why do the rest of us react to this like we do? To the passing of someone we didn’t even know? After all, it’s a sad fact of life that wonderful people pass away all the time, often to the ignorance of the majority of us.

I think we react like this because what we feel is the breaking of one of those connections.

Someone who cared about something we did, who shared experiences, probably admired people we did and shared the joy and frustrations of this game is gone.

We also sense something that is at the heart of much of life; that it often makes no sense. Searching for meaning where there is none is part of why we all feel a bit lost this morning.

The only comfort I can find in this is that so many others are feeling what I’m feeling today. We’re all connected because of football and we are lucky to be.

Vale Phil Walsh
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:45 am

Nicely put, Titus.

I think that's correct.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:58 am

It's amazing how once you become involved in football, connection (although mostly minor) spreads like a ripple after a stone is thrown in a pond.

I remember in my first year at Westies we helped the WA State team for their game against SA at Football Park. The side was young, but had a few relatively unknown young players at that stage. Jakovich & Co.

We were watching training and a bloke came over to have a chat. Afterwards I thought "how good is that, talking to Mal Brown".

From then, as West Adelaide players went into the AFL or you help at State games, AFL games or even State of Origin, that ripple effect grows and grows and a respect for all the people involved in footy grows.

At SANFL level, your whole reason for being is to see your club defeat the other clubs, but below that you have a bond and respect for people at each of the other clubs and they reciprocate it. Whether it's North's Team Manager, or the umpires, or a Colin Casey or Steve Rechner at Sturt, or Doug the Head Trainer at South or Micky Godden at the Eagles, you find like-minded people at all clubs who share that feeling for the game and its people.

Then you go into administration and find the same at the SANFL Administration and at admin level at all clubs.

That's partly why Phil Walsh's death hits so hard. He was one of us, a footy lover, part of the common fabric.

Titus is right. Footy is somewhat silly at different levels in the scheme of things.

But it's a family and we've lost one of the family.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:25 am

Well said Lee. In the heat of battle we can all be guilty of forgetting that clubs are made up of very, very similar people. I guess the important thing is that deep down, when calm enough. we can all acknowledge that. It's a shame it often takes a tragedy to inspire reflection, but the greater shame would be no reflection at all.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:45 pm

Shocking news. I think Titus summed it up well and captures how I am feeling.

Well said Lee, a lovely analogy about losing one of the family
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:51 pm

If, as I suspect, the game on Sunday is canceled or postponed I would encourage anyone who was intending to attend the match to still go to Adelaide Oval, still take your seat and get together as Adelaide fans and take the chance to sit and reflect and support each other. Their football family.
Perhaps authorities could open up the stadium, open up the playing surface to let the kids have a kick on the oval. Let some healing begin and let people comprehend this as best they can with the support of others.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:51 pm

From the other thread, "I was just stunned when I heard this news driving to work on the ABC, it is just so surreal that something like this has happened. I cant even begin to think of what his poor wife is going through right now, its just overwhelming news".
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:22 pm

Another great piece by Gerard Whately:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-03/phil-walsh-gerard-whateley-only-just-getting-know-crows-coach/6592840
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:48 pm

This game has been rescheduled to Round 17, in the split round...

Friday 3 July 2015

The SANFL wishes to express its sincerest condolences to the family and friends of Phil Walsh.

A great football person, Phil endeared himself to South Australians initially as a champion on the field and then with his outstanding work as a coach for the Port Adelaide and Adelaide Football Clubs.

Following a request from both of Adelaide’s AFL Clubs, the SANFL can confirm it is postponing the following two matches scheduled for tomorrow;

South Adelaide versus Adelaide - Hickinbotham Oval
North Adelaide versus Port Adelaide - Prospect Oval

These matches will be rescheduled for Round 17 which is a split round.

All players in tomorrow’s three other SANFL matches will wear black armbands, as will all players taking part in the MAC Country Championships being held this weekend at Port Augusta.

A minutes silence will also be observed at all matches.

The SANFL will be making no further comment at this stage.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:05 pm

This all really is a bit crap isn't it?

Footy is supposed to bring us joy. Something that helps us escape our relatively mundane existence.

Yes there's frustration sometimes, anger, sadness, disappointment - but it's never really the 'real world' type.

This is all just all kinds of wrong, on every level.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:38 pm

I dip my cap to Andrew Fagan and Rob Chapman.

Two men who are in every sense of the word professional corporate performers just showed under extreme duress that they are human like the rest of us, that they are vulnerable and that they need support. That presser was gut wrenching and I can only say my admiration for these two men has just gone through the roof.

They showed unbelievable courage and resolve to get through that. Unbelievable courage.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:11 pm

Shocked.
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:30 pm

condolences to his family & friends, unfortunately this happens way too often (once is too often) & it takes a public figure to make the public sit up & take notice

sad day for footy & an even worse day for the human race

RIP Phil Walsh
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:18 pm

Fantastic post-game tribute by Collingwood and Hawthorn after the game tonight - that was something special on such a horrible day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:28 pm

Been a little bit of global coverage of this tragedy. Liverpool put up a Facebook post earlier this year, while the BBC filed this report:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-33375650

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-33376121

CNN's report:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/02/sport/adelaide-crows-phil-walsh-murder/index.html?sr=cnnifb

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:39 pm

If you haven't had the chance to yet, go down to Football Park and make a contribution to the shrine outside Adelaide's administration entrance. It a very moving sea of tributes.

Back to top Go down

Post by columbo Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Titus and Lee sum it up nicely.

For whatever reason we live in a time where these kind of events seem to be all to common as Bayman said. You see it on the news, read it in the paper or you know someone who knows someone but unless you are directly affected life goes on and we all go about our daily trials and tribulations in most cases without giving it a lot more thought.
In this case it's different. Phil Walsh was a public figure, by the sounds of it something he probably took a bit of adjusting to.
I never met him, but he was sitting about 10 meters away from me at Woodville Oval a couple of weeks ago amongst his players supporting his team, having a bit of friendly banter with opposition fans around him, just like most of the other supporters in the ground that day...he was just like the rest of us, a bloke who loved his footy,

I think that is why this situation has touched so many people as was evident today at Adelaide Oval.

columbo
columbo

Teams : Eagles, North Melbourne
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down