Big Phil
PhilH
Westiesforever
Flag No.10
Aceman
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your players in AFL NAB Cup? Empty Your players in AFL NAB Cup?

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:12 pm

Because of the ASADA investigation and suspensions, Essendon has announced it will require top-up players to participate in the NAB Cup. From the Herald-Sun:

"Essendon will begin identifying potential top-up replacements from the VFL and other state leagues in coming days."

What's your view on one or more of your SANFL club's players participating? I'd like to think my club would tell Essendon we're not interested in releasing any of our players. What on Earth would be in it for us other than the prospect of copping injuries?
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Your players in AFL NAB Cup? Empty Re: Your players in AFL NAB Cup?

Post by Lee Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:50 pm

Smacks of a bit of arrogance to me.

I can't see SANFL coaches wanting to give up players at this stage of the seasonjust to fill a hole for Essendon.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Aceman Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:12 pm

Wouldnt be surprised if Bassett rang a few of the lads at Norwood. If the money isnt too bad I reckon it would be a good experience, may even help guys get noticed by recruiters
Aceman
Aceman

My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:59 pm

we (the league & its clubs) bend over most of the time, even when morally & ethically it is wrong, so why wouldn't we (the league clubs) bend over to ''help'' again ? ............they can have any Glenelg player they want for $100000.00 per player, per match, otherwise NO THANKS
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:25 pm

Expect it to be mainly VFL that is raided for this.

Essendon has a VFL team already so that is a start to draw from and they would already be under the Bombers structure.

Any WAFL / SANFL players would need to be flown over and accommodated whereas VFL players would not.

Interesting part would be the training, would the state league players be expected to give up their jobs / studies for 2-3 weeks to train with the group full time and if so what would they be paid for this.

That said any keen SANFL / WAFL player who wants one last chance to show himself at AFL level might try and volunteer.
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:32 pm

I'd be very interested to hear how the AFL plans to accommodate this; how they let a club contract non-AFL players to play in their comp without holding a draft; how State league club contracts with players can be circumvented without there being a draft etc.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:41 pm

I think the management, both at the AFL and at Essendon have lost touch with reality. They (Essendon) have a reserves team in the VFL. If they want to play those guys in the preseason comp and the AFL let them do it. Who cares? Other than Malthouse of course. But again, who cares what he thinks? It's just a glorified set of trial games anyway. The world will not come to an end, no matter who does or doesn't play in it. This ridiculously exaggerated sense of self importance that pervades the whole AFL is ludicrous. Rolling Eyes
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:44 am

The AFL has kindly allowed Essendon to recruit players from non-AFL clubs, including State Leagues, with a maximum of 2 players per state league team. It's very good of them. I wonder if the clubs themselves have any say in where their contracted players play?
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:08 pm

It doesn't surprise me. I can see a time coming, sooner rather than later too, when the AFL will widen the scope of it's draft to enable their franchise holders (I will no longer call them clubs) can take players from the state leagues whenever they choose. It will inevitably cause state league clubs to rethink the way they word their player contracts. It's not just a game anymore I'm afraid.
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:40 pm

Rumours of approaches to Georgiou, Panos and Baulderstone.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/sanfl-club-scared-of-losing-key-players-to-essendon-for-extended-period-of-the-premiership-season/story-fni2u98u-1227222532451
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Westiesforever Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:39 pm

Jared Patrenko is going to play for them I just read on the AFL website
Westiesforever
Westiesforever

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:26 pm

From Eagles Twitter;

Contrary to reports there has been no agreement reached between Petrenko, WWTFC and the Bombers. We will keep you updated ‪#‎wwtfc‬
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by Westiesforever Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:48 pm

If that's the case bad form AFL !
Westiesforever
Westiesforever

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:03 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:Rumours of approaches to Georgiou, Panos and Baulderstone.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/sanfl-club-scared-of-losing-key-players-to-essendon-for-extended-period-of-the-premiership-season/story-fni2u98u-1227222532451

if this happens, they wont need a mid season draft, this will set a precedence & when AFL players have long term injuries, the AFL franchises will pluck players from state leagues & ruin some state league teams premiership chances..it will be the time i stop going to the footy full stop, well said Chiggy
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:04 pm

I thought they would keep to VFL mainly and Essendon squad mainly out of that... I stand corrected.
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:29 am

From North CEO, Greg Edwards, last night...

To our members and supporters, there is a story in the Advertiser tomorrow regards the approaches by the Essendon FC to players currently on SANFL lists. This includes a player from our club, Mitch Clisby. Mitch has been contacted directly by Essendon and invited to play in the NAB Cup series. Essendon did not speak with us first, in fact, we still have not spoken to Essendon as at tonight.

We have been strong in our view that we are against this whole process, and that all SANFL clubs should be protected from such an invasion. We do not support the coercion of players from their clubs where they have been part of a long summer campaign and fill vital roles just to have them taken without notice. Mitch is aware of our views and position on it and understands it.

It is unfair for such a quality young lad to all of a sudden have this pressure put onto him by an AFL club, the result being he is caught between his Rooster teammates and the blood sweat and tears of the summer, and a possible AFL opportunity with all the enticements surrounding it. It is easy to see the possible attraction for him and we have told Mitch that we will not stand in his way if he chooses to go to Essendon for the NAB Cup series, even though we have made a strong stance to the SANFL against the process. Of course, if he goes, we would look forward to having him back as soon as possible, and firing up ready for our season opener.

As at tonight, regardless of what you read, Mitch has not committed to going until he speaks with Ken McGregor and considers it all. Essendon have told him the top up players must be in Melbourne on Thursday so the young fella has a whole 2 days’ notice. I wanted to confirm to our members and supporters our stance on this matter from the outset.

We will endeavour to keep you updated on this.

Greg Edward
CEO
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:57 am

Shows the compete lack of disregard the AFL has for the State Leagues
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:04 am

Maybe the afl should ban Essendon from the NAB altogether if they want to impose an actual penalty.

Just getting players from elsewhere for a micky mouse comp doesn't seem much penalty.

And it would seem in reality if all these state league players are under current contract, Essendon are trying to get them to effectively break them.

It is not a question of whether a sanfl club would stand in a player's way. But more about the arrogance of thinking they can use some sort of 'carrot' or the promise of one to entice them to break a legal contract.

All the clubs whose players have been approached should get together and sue Essendon. Another legal stoush is all they need right now.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:44 pm

Not sure but I would think most sanfl players contracts would have a clause that says the club would not stand in the way of a player should an AFL opportunity arise.

Like others I think this farce just gives us an idea how the sanfl is viewed from those on the outside.
We are,sadly, after last years debacle,seen as just a reserves competition.
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:36 pm

Given the apparent strength of feeling in today's meeting of club administrators at SANFL headquarters, plus a reported back down by Essendon, one would hope that this issue is now dead and buried. As Chambo observed, inducing an individual to break an existing contract is certainly actionable in the courts. Greg Edwards has already made North Adelaide's displeasure public and I'd have no doubt that Sturt's reaction would be at least as hostile.
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:09 am

So then Essendon ring and apologise?

Seriously, they have completely lost the plot at all levels. The coach can't be sacked despite the drug scandal, as they fear he'll sue the **** off them for wrongful dismissal if they do give him the flick, they're still in denial/fighting ASADA/AFL over TWO YEARS on, now the list managers are by passing clubs from state leagues to talk to players direct.

They now gain zero respect from me and I'll never look at the once mighty Bombers the same again.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:23 pm

I agree with you there Booney. Their current management is a shambles and can only drag them further into the mire. They need a thorough clean out, from the top down.
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by bayman Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:54 pm

waddayamean wrote:I'm keen to hear more about the SANFL's club opposition. Are the clubs actually going to stand up to the AFL at any point? Hearing whispers they are but heard those before too.

generally speaking we hear all talk but when it comes time for the crunch our clubs bend over like Jenna Jameson
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:09 pm

Bit harsh on the clubs.

Good luck explaining to an excited player who's been given a taste at an AFL club that he's not allowed to go.

Plenty of downside in that.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next