Big Phil
Bundy
howthewestwaswon
Paul
Brucetiki
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Round 7: Sturt v West - Sunday 18 May @ Envestra Park - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 7: Sturt v West - Sunday 18 May @ Envestra Park

Post by blacky Sun May 18, 2014 9:10 pm

redandblack wrote:I hate Unley Oval.

I hate Unley Oval.

I hate Unley Oval.

I hate Unley Oval.

I hate Unley Oval.

I hate Unley Oval.
me too Round 7: Sturt v West - Sunday 18 May @ Envestra Park - Page 2 2860823718 
blacky
blacky

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Round 7: Sturt v West - Sunday 18 May @ Envestra Park - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 7: Sturt v West - Sunday 18 May @ Envestra Park

Post by Lee Sun May 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:

God's country!  Very Happy 

Not sure if I made myself clear, Chambo.

I really, really hate Unley Oval.

The home of drunkards, miscreants, bovver-boys, torturers and lowlife scum.

OK, so they played good today.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sun May 18, 2014 10:07 pm

I hate Unley Oval.

I hate Unley Oval.

I hate Unley Oval.

I hate Unley Oval.

I hate Unley Oval.

I think you also hate having to drive to the game from Tintinara as well, R&B? Wink
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun May 18, 2014 10:16 pm

You might be right, Phil.

Loved Tintinara, but I'm not sure if you've picked up that I'm not that keen on *#%*# Unley Oval.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Sun May 18, 2014 10:52 pm

What can I say? I didn't expect this game to blow out as it did either. Obviously we're very pleased with the way our guys played. And I can understand West supporters being bitterly disappointed with their team's performance. I recall vowing never to go to Richmond again, after Sturt managed just 2 goals for the whole match there last year. It's a fickle game football.  Wink 
Our challenge now, is to keep up the standard we've set for ourselves in these first 7 rounds.
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon May 19, 2014 7:37 am

Sturt just blitzed West from the start and out ran and out worked them in the first half.

West aren't that bad and will react against the Bays next week.

Meanwhile, Sturt are playing great footy and their supporters can be rightfully optimistic about their chances this year.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Mon May 19, 2014 8:52 am

I wonder how R&B feels about Unley Oval?

If only he would voice his opinion on this venue? Wink
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Mon May 19, 2014 1:56 pm

redandblack wrote:
Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:

God's country!  Very Happy 

Not sure if I made myself clear, Chambo.

I really, really hate Unley Oval.

The home of drunkards, miscreants, bovver-boys, torturers and lowlife scum.

And thats just the mini-league kids.  Smile 

Wait till he tells you what he thinks about the supporters Shocked 
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon May 19, 2014 2:17 pm

Very Happy 

Mate, I was sitting next to Big Phil on the open bench. There was a Sturt supporter sitting right behind us. Every time Sturt kicked a goal (and that was often) he'd shout his pet name for the player who kicked the goal.

Only trouble was, he had a fighter plane fetish and had a fighter plane name for every Sturt player.

Seriously.

So you'd be sitting there, Duldig would kick a goal and this bloke would shout out (ignore incorrect detail) "Lockheed A 470 dive bomber"/ Coad gets one "Grumman C168 attack fighter". Crocker gets one, "Messerschmitt Z490 Stuka pinball machine" (or something).

14 times in the first half alone.

Did I tell you I hate Unley Oval?

And why?

At least I didn't hear "One point, one point, one point" at all.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Mon May 19, 2014 3:07 pm

Well done to Sturt, I honestly didn't expect to get beaten so easily, I thought we would have put up a better showing than that but it was all over by half time.

Too quick, better ball skills and had a forward set up that worked way better than Westies.
The first half of footy was the best I have seen this year by far and that includes the AFL team from Alberton.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Mon May 19, 2014 3:41 pm

I agree Sturt played extremely well in the first half. However as a supporter of the bloods I cannot accept a performance like that. We were totally inept.

I expect a major response from the playing group this week.
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon May 19, 2014 4:11 pm

3 highlights.

In amongst the carnage, Jonno Beech's mark looked a big contender for Mark of the Year.

Crocker's goal starting from the wing.

Leaving Unley Oval.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon May 19, 2014 7:42 pm

redandblack wrote:Very Happy 

Mate, I was sitting next to Big Phil on the open bench.  There was a Sturt supporter sitting right behind us.  Every time Sturt kicked a goal (and that was often) he'd shout his pet name for the player who kicked the goal.

Only trouble was, he had a fighter plane fetish and had a fighter plane name for every Sturt player.

Seriously.

So you'd be sitting there, Duldig would kick a goal and this bloke would shout out (ignore incorrect detail)  "Lockheed A 470 dive bomber"/  Coad gets one "Grumman C168 attack fighter".  Crocker gets one, "Messerschmitt Z490 Stuka pinball machine" (or something).

14 times in the first half alone.

Did I tell you I hate Unley Oval?

And why?

At least I didn't hear "One point, one point, one point" at all.

Don't know about the plane fetishist. Never heard him.
You don't see "One point Alex" all that often these days. But he is regarded with some affection.
I understand that it would be annoying to others.

I'd recommend not venturing near the cheer squad. They are something else again.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon May 19, 2014 8:06 pm

The more characters the better, Chambo,as long as they're not right next to me all day  Very Happy 

On a more serious note, Sturt were just too quick for the Bloods and I know from experience that if you get off on the wrong foot at Unley, you're in big trouble.

Although the selcond half was fairly irrelevant, West did break even and a few moves seemed to help.

When they're up and running, Sturt play forward of the ball and that style of game needs to be broken down with pressure.  West applied little pressure and Sturt moved the ball quickly and with precision.  Their skill level was also miles above West.

We all thought Sturt would struggle without their AFL input, but Kirkwood in particular and having Tambling full time have well covered that.

Credit to them, they were very impressive.

West seem to be still suffering from a disjointed pre-season, following the loss of Andy Collins and a host of injuries.  The injuries are still causing major problems, with no key forward available for the game.  We have Glenelg then a bye.  The season is shaping up that 5th spot is the only finals berth available and no side seems to be claiming it.

After the bye, my hope is that we'll be more settled, have Still and Hardy to aim at in front of goals, get Caire and Bricknell back for some pace and start putting some wins on the board.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon May 19, 2014 8:55 pm

I think Maloney now in his third season and without afl disruptions has them all focussed on the same style. So Port / Crows theory to a similar extent.

With some fringe to middling players coming on a bit (ala Greenslade, Krause, Page and others) they are playing a much more direct running game. Added to that a better defensive intensity and for the most part, they are playing a style that will be more competitive than in recent seasons.

The Port imports have been very good. I would think Kirkwood has been the most consistent player so far.

Coad compliments Duldig much better than other options. If we can get McLeay up and going in defence, then there are options in the KPP spots that we didn't really have up to now. Always 1 such player short in team selections previously.

I guess we see where the road takes this version of the Blues.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2