countrycousin
Paul
BloodnTars
howthewestwaswon
Brucetiki
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Round 6: Port v Sturt - Sunday 11 May @ Alberton Oval - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 6: Port v Sturt - Sunday 11 May @ Alberton Oval

Post by spell_check Mon May 12, 2014 5:31 pm

Booney wrote:
spell_check wrote:
countrycousin wrote:I'm not particularly concerned by today's result. I am however seething over an incident on the half time siren, that saw Jack Stephens hospitalized with a broken jaw. I trust justice will be done and the player responsible is severely punished.

Dunno, Jack Stephens has never been with the Crows or Power before...there won't be any hype about the incident

You see, why bring that up?

Not sure if you know where I'm coming from so I'll say it outright - Brad Symes played 60 matches for the Crows.  Jack Stephens has had no affiliation with the Crows or Power.  Do you think Slattery will have newspaper editorials or be talked about on radio or whatever other outlet will suddenly have found there is such a competition as the SANFL?  I saw the footage of the incident and the only real difference of contact between Slattery and Grocke is that Slattery did not raise his arm. They were equally as late to the player.  However as so far as the single incident alone (disregarding prior injury history of Symes), a broken jaw, lost tooth and a concussion I would have thought is worse than a concussion.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Round 6: Port v Sturt - Sunday 11 May @ Alberton Oval - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 6: Port v Sturt - Sunday 11 May @ Alberton Oval

Post by Booney Tue May 13, 2014 8:30 am

spell_check wrote:
Booney wrote:
spell_check wrote:
countrycousin wrote:I'm not particularly concerned by today's result. I am however seething over an incident on the half time siren, that saw Jack Stephens hospitalized with a broken jaw. I trust justice will be done and the player responsible is severely punished.

Dunno, Jack Stephens has never been with the Crows or Power before...there won't be any hype about the incident

You see, why bring that up?

Not sure if you know where I'm coming from so I'll say it outright - Brad Symes played 60 matches for the Crows.  Jack Stephens has had no affiliation with the Crows or Power.  Do you think Slattery will have newspaper editorials or be talked about on radio or whatever other outlet will suddenly have found there is such a competition as the SANFL?  I saw the footage of the incident and the only real difference of contact between Slattery and Grocke is that Slattery did not raise his arm.  They were equally as late to the player.  However as so far as the single incident alone (disregarding prior injury history of Symes), a broken jaw, lost tooth and a concussion I would have thought is worse than a concussion.

I think you'll find Slattery and Grocke will get different suspensions due to the difference in the action...Grocke's action would be, to 99% of football following people, considerably worse than what Slattery did. Make no mistake, Grocke's was a sickening low as they come act. Arm raised, off the ground, smashing a bloke who had eyes only for the ball. As for which one was "later" than the other, splitting hairs there.

That's the reason the media first grabbed it, secondly because it seemed almost certain from when the incident took place that Symes would be set for an early retirement as an almost direct result of the incident.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue May 13, 2014 12:05 pm

The Slattery incident doesn't look too bad to me, but that's probably in a historical context, not the way they look at these things today. But it looks like he just ran in to bump Stephens from the angle shown. He was late, so it would be a free downfield, but unless he's jumped off the ground or had an arm or elbow raised it doesn't look vicious to me.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2