the prowler
Big Phil
Aerie
Lee
9 posters

Go down

Michael Wundke Empty Michael Wundke

Post by Lee Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:58 pm

South have given Wundke a fair spray (in slightly more diplomatic language) about going to the Eagles.

I've not known a club to have such a crack at a player leaving like this before. They make it clear he's leaving for money.

The Salary Cap tracker might have to upgrade his value. Given that Ainger is obviously on big money, the Eagles clearly have plenty of coin and room in their cap.

Good on South for being frank and honest?
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Michael Wundke Empty Re: Michael Wundke

Post by Aerie Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:46 pm

If you read past the first few sentences you would have come to this line:

"We believe our financial offer to Michael was commensurate with the rival’s offer but our offer to Michael was slightly more reliant on Michael playing games for our club."

Combined with: "Michael has accepted a long-term deal with the Eagles that provides him with financial security that is not reliant on Michael playing and performing for his new club."

It would appear the Eagles have paid Michael Wundke to come over to replace Kirk. Any games he plays is just a bonus.

2013 - 20 Games Ken Farmer Medal
2012 - 16 Games - missed Ken Farmer by 3 goals
2011 - 22 Games Ken Farmer Medal

His previous 3 seasons would suggest he is value. Surprising the "playing games" is even an issue for South? You can't blame a player of his calibre looking for job security. If money wasn't much different why didn't South go the extra to keep him, given his proven track record?
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:00 pm

This article on AdelaideNow suggesting Wundke isn't officially an Eagle, yet...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/key-forward-michael-wundke-poised-to-join-eagles-after-shock-exit-from-south-adelaide/story-fnii05wn-1226753746039

Matt Turner wrote:

Key forward Michael Wundke poised to join Eagles after shock exit from South Adelaide

DUAL Ken Farmer Medallist Michael Wundke has walked out on South Adelaide - and appears headed for Woodville-West Torrens.  

Wundke, who booted 180 goals for South from 2011-13, informed the Panthers he would not be renewing his contract, which expired at the end of the season.

In a statement, South chief executive Evan Arnold said the club had left "no stone unturned" in trying to retain Wundke yet he had accepted a "long-term deal with the Eagles that provides him with financial security that is not reliant on Michael playing and performing for his new club".

But a Woodville-West Torrens source denied the club had signed the 25-year-old spearhead.

The source said the club was simply in advanced talks with Wundke.

Arnold said Wundke put off contract talks until the end of the season and the club made a "lengthy and detailed presentation" to him last Friday.

Arnold said South, which starts pre-season training under new coach Brad Gotch on Friday, would "explore all options" to find a replacement key forward.

"It's disappointing," he told the Southern Times Messenger.

"We've been talking to a number of senior players today and while they are disappointed as well because Michael has turned his back on a number of friends here at the footy club, it's probably galvanised them to push on and achieve the things the group want to achieve together.

"We're also really confident that the style of football we're going to play next year is going to be less reliant on individuals and more reliant on team-based offence and defence."

Wundke joined South from North Adelaide in 2011.

His departure follows South re-signing a string of key players, including Magarey Medallist Joel Cross and this year's best and fairest Nick Liddle.

If Wundke does move to Oval Ave he will reunite with former South forward Andrew Ainger, who booted 50 goals for the Eagles this year.

Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:01 pm

But, then again, the Eagles have just tweeted this...

Eagles tweet wrote:WWTFC Eagles ‏@wwtfc_eagles
Michael Wundke is an Eagle #welcome
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:14 pm

Big Phil wrote:But, then again, the Eagles have just tweeted this...

That is not the Eagles twitter - this is - https://twitter.com/EAGLES_WWTFC
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Aerie wrote:
Big Phil wrote:But, then again, the Eagles have just tweeted this...

That is not the Eagles twitter - this is - https://twitter.com/EAGLES_WWTFC
Ah, fair enough. Cheers.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Aerie, I read the financial offer as being a guaranteed payment by the Eagles, even if he doesn't play many games, whereas South presumably were offering less up front, but more per game.

I think the Eagles did this with Scott Welsh?

The Eagles philosophy seems to include paying a lot for disaffected players willing to change clubs for money. All clubs do that occasionally, but Ainger and Wundke in successive years???
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Crabb on Wundke will be a good match up!!!
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Team man v Team changing man?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Well R&B, all makes for another interesting season, One door shuts, another door opens.
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:07 am

Poor form from South to publically air their sour grapes. I understand the hurt involved with losing a player unexpectedly, particularly a very good one, but they have no right to openly speculate about a players contractual status IMHO.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:15 am

Not 100% happy with the response from the SAFC over this, tastes a lot of sour grapes. I think its also pretty unrealistic to play the loyalty card when the club itself had no problem doing it to North Adelaide to get him in the first place and they have done the very same to get various other players into the SAFC jumper.

A number of SAFC people have jumped on the vitriol bandwagon towards Ron Fuller of late and have accused him of losing them this that or the other player. I am interested to hear from them how this is Ron's fault also?
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:22 pm

$outh Adelaide offered more money than North Adelaide.
Woodville We$t Torrens offered more money than South Adelaide.

Woodville West Torrens have thee 3 tall$
Ainger
Grocke
Wundke
Have they got any more $$$$ for the $alary Cap limit ?
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:32 pm

Scrappy wrote:$outh Adelaide offered more money than North Adelaide.
Woodville We$t Torrens offered more money than South Adelaide.

Woodville West Torrens have thee 3 tall$
Ainger
Grocke
Wundke
Have they got any more $$$$ for the $alary Cap limit ?
i'm not sure the first sentence is correct, i thought it was more to do with the fact that at the time North had Alleway, Gill & the odd AFL player in front of Wundke..............had a crack at a former Eagles player today about how can they afford Wundke after Ainger last year the reply was ''the pokies on Port Road are doing well & Ainger isn't much good, he only kicks goals when the team is going well, not when it is a tough tight contest''
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:07 pm

Ben W wrote:Not 100% happy with the response from the SAFC over this, tastes a lot of sour grapes. I think its also pretty unrealistic to play the loyalty card when the club itself had no problem doing it to North Adelaide to get him in the first place and they have done the very same to get various other players into the SAFC jumper.

A number of SAFC people have jumped on the vitriol bandwagon towards Ron Fuller of late and have accused him of losing them this that or the other player. I am interested to hear from them how this is Ron's fault also?  
I have heard those same people blame Ron Fuller for climate change as well. Smile Smile 
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down