howthewestwaswon
bayman
Big Phil
Lee
Admin
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Round 10: West v Norwood, Saturday 8 June @ City Mazda Stadium Empty Round 10: West v Norwood, Saturday 8 June @ City Mazda Stadium

Post by Admin Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:41 pm

West v Norwood

Saturday 8 June
City Mazda Stadium

Reserves: 11:25am
League: 2:10pm

West are coming off a close loss to North, while Norwood were dominant in their win over Sturt. The last match between the two sides was...lets just say interesting. Will West bounce back, or will Norwood continue their winning form?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Round 10: West v Norwood, Saturday 8 June @ City Mazda Stadium Empty Re: Round 10: West v Norwood, Saturday 8 June @ City Mazda Stadium

Post by Lee Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:34 am

West haven't beaten Norwood for a while now and this should be a great game.

Can West overcome Norwood's style? Very few teams can, so the Bloods will have their work cut out for them.

Should be a big crowd and a good game.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Round 10: West v Norwood, Saturday 8 June @ City Mazda Stadium Empty Re: Round 10: West v Norwood, Saturday 8 June @ City Mazda Stadium

Post by Big Phil Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:59 am

Weather is supposed to be okay as well, with '18 and mostly sunny' the forecast, so that might sway those who were going to stay home and watch it on telly to actually come to the game.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:02 pm

should be a great stoush but no boxing gloves will be required Very Happy

looking forward to this, maybe West by a solitary point
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:15 pm

I'm going to pick Norwood here by 2-3 goals.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:00 am

redandblack wrote:West haven't beaten Norwood for a while now and this should be a great game.

Can West overcome Norwood's style? Very few teams can, so the Bloods will have their work cut out for them.

Should be a big crowd and a good game.

West beat Norwood last year, round 21 by 23 points
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:24 am

Correct Brodlach,

Best 4 goal loss ever spent so late in the season. We rested a number of high profile players that day

We found out what the West Adelaide "A" game was in case they decided to attack the goals in the GF.

Turns out as a matter of History of Shame that they didn't so we beat them at a defensive game (our plan "B").

Care to try it again ??
Go Legs
Go Legs

My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:39 am

None of the minor round games between the clubs over the last 18 months have been blow outs to either team and the Norwood win after the siren last year was from a dubious free kick (still was a great kick)
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:42 am

Thanks Brodlach for correcting me, how could I forget that one.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:56 am

Looking forward to this game, my first in a couple of weeks (Magpies game). Hope the Bloods are switched on and attack the ball rather than the man, we have a couple of hot heads in the team.
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:13 am

West supporters might be a little concerned about recent form due to the manner of last weeks result and just getting past Sturt prior to that but I believe they are going about things the right way. No point peaking at this time of the year. Its all about management. Norwood similarly placed in that respect. I think the rivalry that has developed between West and Norwood should ensure both teams are ready right from the first bounce and its my opinion there isnt much between them so I would expect West to get the points at home. AFL selection for both teams could be an important factor.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:15 am

brodlach wrote:None of the minor round games between the clubs over the last 18 months have been blow outs to either team and the Norwood win after the siren last year was from a dubious free kick (still was a great kick)

Brodlach, I had to laugh at that, mainly because D-Rod is not known for set shot goals. We all had our hearts in our hands when he kicked that goal as it was a wet day and the ball was heavy and wet with the last kick at goal for the day.

For example D-Rod had a shot for goal for Melbourne last week from a similar angle position and distance, it went out of bounds to the near side point post with plenty of distance between the point post and the eventual crossing of the boundary line, with a perfectly dry ball and no wind to speak of.

Just was our lucky day I guess. Rolling Eyes

Cheers,
Go Legs
Go Legs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:24 am

Scrunch, I think that's right.

As far as AFL players are concerned, I'd say we're a fair chance to get Matthew Lobbe and a smaller chance to get Jason Porplyzia. Who could Norwood expect or hope for? Matt Thomas any chance?

My concern is that we're at Round 10 and West haven't had a bye yet. They tired against North and are coming off a six day break, compared to Norwood's 8 day break. Regardless of that, it should be an even contest and another chapter in the continuing battle to overcome Norwood's style.

Nobody has successfully done that consistently yet.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:26 am

Go Legs wrote:
brodlach wrote:None of the minor round games between the clubs over the last 18 months have been blow outs to either team and the Norwood win after the siren last year was from a dubious free kick (still was a great kick)

Brodlach, I had to laugh at that, mainly because D-Rod is not known for set shot goals. We all had our hearts in our hands when he kicked that goal as it was a wet day and the ball was heavy and wet with the last kick at goal for the day.

For example D-Rod had a shot for goal for Melbourne last week from a similar angle position and distance, it went out of bounds to the near side point post with plenty of distance between the point post and the eventual crossing of the boundary line, with a perfectly dry ball and no wind to speak of.

Just was our lucky day I guess. Rolling Eyes

Cheers,

lol, not sure if your having a crack at me or agreeing
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:35 am

Nah, not having a crack at you, it is a known fact that on the run D-Rod will get the goal but set shot goes anywhere.

Next time you watch a Melbourne play and D-Rod gets the ball inside 50m watch his eyes widen and look around 360 degrees for someone-anyone to pass the ball too.

In short we were lucky that day, probably why all the Norwood players and coaching squad ran out to congratulate him, best set shot ever in his entire career.

Cheers,

Cheers,
Go Legs
Go Legs

Back to top Go down

Post by ca Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:00 pm

redandblack wrote:Scrunch, I think that's right.

As far as AFL players are concerned, I'd say we're a fair chance to get Matthew Lobbe and a smaller chance to get Jason Porplyzia. Who could Norwood expect or hope for? Matt Thomas any chance?

My concern is that we're at Round 10 and West haven't had a bye yet. They tired against North and are coming off a six day break, compared to Norwood's 8 day break. Regardless of that, it should be an even contest and another chapter in the continuing battle to overcome Norwood's style.

Nobody has successfully done that consistently yet.

Thomas would be a very good inclusion if fit. Renouf would be the other one. If he plays that would make for an interesting battle with Lobbe. Im not convinced Renouf adds a whole lot though and he wont play finals (if we make it) so Im not too concerned. Ill wait for AFL selection before making a tip. The availability of guys like Crouch, Porplyzia and Thomas can impact the result.
ca
ca

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Lee Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:48 pm

Almost no side kicks a big score against Norwood and West are also good defensively, so I think it will be a defensive slog.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:15 pm

Why do people think a low scoring game is a boring game, rather watch a close low scoring game than an one sided blowout
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Brodlach said a one-sided blowout, not 20 to 18.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:51 pm

brodlach wrote:Why do people think a low scoring game is a boring game, rather watch a close low scoring game than an one sided blowout

not every low scoring game is boring, i recall the (was it) Foundation Cup Grand Final played at Footy Park between Central & Wwt, it was the year it was played about half way through the year & the top two teams on the home & away ladder played off, it was something like 4 goals to 3 (cue spelly) & it was one of the most tense, intriguing & absorbing games i've seen, as it was a battle of defences, to the present day a couple of the Norwood-West matches haven't been a great spectacle but all you have to do is win.....i think the way North play is the ideal way to play modern day footy
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:06 pm

When West beat Port 3-2 a couple of years ago, it was a nail-biter Very Happy
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:37 pm

There would be literally hundreds of millions of people around the globe who watch the "beautiful game" that would kill for a 4 - 2 scoreline tather than a 0 - 0 draw.

However, they watch the game for what it is. A game of defenses where one side's defence is better than the other's. However it is often cruel that this goes unrewarded sometimes.

But it still brings them back next week.

When you think of it, Aussie Rules is a game that is arguably the least structured around defence. Obviously that still occurs, but I venture to say that fast moving team ball sports like Rugby, Soccer, Basketball are built around defence first. Their structures almost always have defence in tact as forward movement occurs. Footy aims at getting first use of the ball and mounting an attack before the opposition does. We have often seen nobody in one half of the ground as teams push forward.

Norwood and West have almost reinvented this over the last 2 seasons, where a solid defence has been the foundation upon which their offensive movement has been based.

To be honest I don't find it boring. It is quite intriguing how opposition coaches try and come up with strategies to combat these tactics.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next