firstblood
howthewestwaswon
testy
waddayamean
bayman
Admin
10 posters

Go down

Round 9: North v West, Sunday 2 June @ Prospect Oval Empty Round 9: North v West, Sunday 2 June @ Prospect Oval

Post by Admin Mon May 27, 2013 7:33 pm

North v West

Sunday 2 June
Prospect Oval

Reserves: 11:25am
League: 2:10pm

North are coming off a disappointing loss to Port, while West eventually overcame Sturt. Will North bounce back at home, or will West notch up another win?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Round 9: North v West, Sunday 2 June @ Prospect Oval Empty Re: Round 9: North v West, Sunday 2 June @ Prospect Oval

Post by bayman Mon May 27, 2013 8:09 pm

which North will turn up, yesterdays or last weeks ?
so at this early stage i'll tip a draw
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Round 9: North v West, Sunday 2 June @ Prospect Oval Empty Re: Round 9: North v West, Sunday 2 June @ Prospect Oval

Post by testy Fri May 31, 2013 5:25 pm

The Bloods to get up on Sunday, just can't go against them at the moment.
testy
testy

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:29 pm

West did everything right all day & North stole the win in the last 5 minutes, definately a character building win for North but where do West go from here ?

bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:52 pm

bayman wrote:West did everything right all day & North stole the win in the last 5 minutes, definately a character building win for North but where do West go from here ?

Get on with it next game. Simple.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:07 pm

howthewestwaswon wrote:
bayman wrote:West did everything right all day & North stole the win in the last 5 minutes, definately a character building win for North but where do West go from here ?

Get on with it next game. Simple.

yeah ok, i worded it wrong i meant next time they are in a similar situation, surely you wouldn't want the same thing to happen in the next few weeks or it could end up being like North Melbourne & their fragile state of mind in close games
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:57 pm

Well Westies let that one slip, should have won and put North away earlier but to their credit, they didn't give up and ran out the game well....

Strangely enough it's round 9 over with, and West do not play North again in the minor rounds.
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:11 pm

waddayamean wrote:North comfortably , 5 or more goals.
North won, but by no means was it comfortable !!!
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:37 pm

waddayamean wrote:Just a tip .Can't always get the margin right hey.
This is true. I tipped North by 5 points in FOOT-e TIMES SA, so pretty happy with the final result, although for the majority of the game, I thought I might have missed that one...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Gee, Westies were good today and silenced the doubters with some great footy.

(Written halfway through the last quarter).

Great last fifteen minutes by North, deserve to win if you can do that.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:09 pm

on reflecting on yesterdays game, it was almost the same game as last time they met but in reverse
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:41 pm

A funny game is football, not over until the final siren, well done to north, west too good all day except the last 15 minutes.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:37 pm

waddayamean wrote:Bit different though as NM lost a few under a goal after leading I think . Not sure this has hapenned to West ?
Maybe thhe question nneeds to be posed to North , haven't they fought back a few times and won ? That eventually catches up with you .

i used the word 'COULD' in my post, in that they wouldn't want to get into a habit of controlling a match & then blowing it Wink
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:08 pm

Having watched the Recovery Session:
* Can anyone explain what the free to Moore late in the last quarter was for?
*The free to Thring against Bricknell was pathetic. It was hardly slinging Thring to the ground, he actually lets go of Thring. This is not what the sling tackle free is meant to eradicate from the game.
And with 3 field umpires, why wasn't one of them ensuring he kicked on the correct angle?
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Mongrel Punter Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:08 am

I cannot answer your question about Moore Flaggy as it was off the ball, but the Thring one, from what I understand, was that he handballed it and then was dumped after disposal.

Like many of the frees during the game to both sides, some were inexplicable, and obviously frustrated players and fans alike. To have 20 frees paid in the first quarter is over-umpiring. Some teams do not get that many in a game. Some were very soft including some FADS where players fell, more from the wind rushing past, than any deliberate malicious act after the ball had been kicked. Imagine a coach questioning his player who did not put body pressure on an opponent who was about to kick - oops he has just kicked, I better pull out.

It is time to remove this AFL influence on the game too - the bump and spoil is being umpired out, and umpires are making decisions from 70m away.

Let's get back to the footy we know and love - tough but fair.

Last edited by Mongrel Punter on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

My club : north

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:42 am

Good call M.P.... there were over 50 free kicks given out on Sunday, far too many.
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:04 am

Yes MP, the standard has been unacceptably poor for some time, but nothing seems to change and no one seems responsible.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Mongrel Punter Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:Yes MP, the standard has been unacceptably poor for some time, but nothing seems to change and no one seems responsible.

I am on my hobby horse (again) with umpiring, almost to the stage when I am paranoid about getting certain umpires to the game and their impact on the result with some of their decisions. Every person involved in every area of football (players, coaches, administration, support staff) are accountable to somebody, but the umpiring fraternity seem to be accountable to no one (you can't criticise them for fear of "bringing the game into disrepute", and many of us would say that is exactly what THEY are doing). All they seem to do is go about patting themselves on the back about how well they have done. I have done a lot of umpiring in the country and in junior football (many years ago Rolling Eyes ) and if I presented a performance like some I have seen, I would be embarrassed as I would be if I was administering them. Shane Harris was in the stand Sunday watching the game, as are other observers. What do they actually do? As Flaggy says, nothing seems to change. Are we the only ones who seem to think there is a problem? And judging by the admittedly parochial Rooster crowd on Sunday, the troops are getting hostile about what they see paid and what is missed. It seems all you can do is grit your teeth and bear it.
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

My club : north

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:35 pm

I agree, MP. We're all parochial and I always think the umpires are better when I'm watching a neutral game, but your central point is right.

It was West's own fault they losr the game on Sunday and I thought we got a good run with the umpires during the game, but were smashed by them in the last quarter. I saw that one North supporter said we got two goals from frees. I'm not sure whether that's right, but I do know North got 5 (yes, five) from frees, including a 50 after Chris Schmidt was pinged for holding the ball after he was hit in the head and he complained.

The lack of concentration by the umpires in policiing the angle Thring kicked from was really poor at such an important time.

Despite that, North deserved the win and West didn't, but some umpires do seem very precious at times. I do think there are some good and some promising umpires, though
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:23 pm

as r&b indicated when your at a neutral game the umpiring 'seems different' Shocked i think overall they do a fair & reasonable job & generally umpire the way they are instructed too & that's the problem the instructions they have, hell during one of the trials Tenace (as every player has done for over a century) jumped on the ball to keep it in the area & got pinged for 'touching legs' of an upright opponent, Tenace pleaded his case & the umpire said (being a trial with no one there you could hear all this) ''i know where your coming from but this is what we're told to pay as free kicks''

i challenge everyone to go to a neutral game & then comment on the umpiring, i'll bet most would say they weren't noticed or they were ok
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:35 pm

Agree with both Bayman and MP on this.

West got some frees that I agreed with my North colleague at the game were so soft as to be silly. He said the same the other way.

Some umpires have a good feel for the game, but some just don't understand what all coaches ask of their players.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down