eartotheground
Big Phil
bayman
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Umpire Eleni Glouftsis Empty Umpire Eleni Glouftsis

Post by bayman Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:38 pm

i think this young lady deserves a chance at league level, she umpires well & a lot better than some of the ''more experienced'' umpires going around & equally important she uses who voice very well out in the middle, i think the powers at be should forget about putting noses out of joint & pick Eleni & perhaps some of the other young umpires that are good, the red head bloke goes ok too, i think his name is Kane, i know there would be a bit of a media circus but that would promote the league in a positive way on many levels
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Umpire Eleni Glouftsis Empty Re: Umpire Eleni Glouftsis

Post by Big Phil Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:09 pm

Don't let Mongrel Punter see this thread Wink

P.S - I agree she is a good umpire, and if she continues to improve, would be worthy of a League game by season's end...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:20 pm

Big Phil wrote:Don't let Mongrel Punter see this thread Wink

P.S - I agree she is a good umpire, and if she continues to improve, would be worthy of a League game by season's end...

don't worry about seasons end she is ready now, i watched her several times & she is better than some of the more 'high profile' umpires going around & to me i don't care whether they are Women, Martins or Big Phils' if they are the best they should get the league games before others pure & simple

on a side note Curtis Deboy was the emergency at last weeks AFL match
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by eartotheground Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:13 am

Eleni will umpire a league match before the end of the season. Was extremely close to umpiring a round 23 match last season. Can pen this statement in for this season.
eartotheground
eartotheground

Back to top Go down

Post by Mongrel Punter Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:31 am

bayman wrote:
Big Phil wrote:Don't let Mongrel Punter see this thread Wink

don't worry about seasons end she is ready now, i watched her several times & she is better than some of the more 'high profile' umpires going around & to me i don't care whether they are Women, Martins or Big Phils' if they are the best they should get the league games before others pure & simple

on a side note Curtis Deboy was the emergency at last weeks AFL match

Shocked Rolling Eyes

Also re Eleni - agree wholeheartedly - shows more feel for the game and common sense than many who are running around in the league and are referred to by bayman,

For BP - Laughing Laughing Laughing
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

My club : north

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:14 am

As long as players and runners keep swearing to a minimum, she'd do ok. Very Happy
firstblood
firstblood

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:52 am

I am usually a good judge of talent and character, I rated her 2 years ago and said so to the Umpires Board them, I then followed it up with the umpires Management last year and said so again in front of her.

She has real talent for our game

She is deadly quick around the ground, therefore gets into the right position to call frees, makes her call on decisions with absolute confidence and does not pay frees she thinks might be the case.

As for players language, I think she is a bit tougher than you give her credit.

I recon bring her on asap, commonsense is her go something we badly need in the SANFL right now.

How old was DeBoy when he got his first game, he was hopeless then and went steady backwards ever since. Constantly gets caught on the wrong side of play and pays frees on guesses, not to mention how many times he pays free kicks from too far away causing delays in what would normally be play on to advantage.

Cheers
Go Legs
Go Legs

My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Does not the fact that Curtis Deboy was the emergency at last weeks AFL match say something about the AFL and its umpires. I am an old umpire watcher for years and sadly I angree with "GO Legs"that Deboy has not improved.

In regards to Eleni, should have got a run at league last year and is only a matter of time.
oldfella
oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mongrel Punter Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:32 pm

I thought it was only me that thought that CD was suitable only for Under 8 football - not that I would want to subject the poor little kids to that!
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

My club : north

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:42 pm

in my original post i should of added this that i clearly heard in last weeks reserves game, i didn't see what actually occured or which team player she was talking too but she said ''i've told you not to hang on i wont be warning you a third time'' she said it loudly & with clear diction & authority & to me that is perfect umpiring
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Harpo Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:52 pm

She is an extreamly good umpire she should definatly get a game before seasons end and heaps more.
Harpo
Harpo

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs Sun May 19, 2013 9:30 am

With all the crap umpiring going on, why hasn't Eleni been given a go in the League.

I noted she got dropped to the under 18's last week, why???

Could it be that the quality supporters who know a good umpire when they see one have brought attention to her before the Male dominated Umpires Board and the SANFL Aficionados and she has been admonished in some way.

Common you lot we live in a far better balanced society today give this talented lassie a go before she is lost to our great code.

What are you afraid of, she might be better than the men, one would hope so based on recent performances by so called senior umpires.

Bring her on and now.
Go Legs
Go Legs

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Sun May 19, 2013 9:40 am

She would be better most male umpires on any given Dey. Smile
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodnTars Sun May 19, 2013 9:46 am

She was terrible Friday night. Seemed to be making a lot of decisions up, but then again so are the male ones. She was extremely good last year but seems to have dropped off a bit the 2 or 3 times I've seen her this year.

Have noticed another female umpire going around in Nadia Debellis. She has umpired a couple of reserves games and seemed ok.
BloodnTars
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick Sun May 19, 2013 11:22 am

Maybe it was something about Friday night with the umpires then?

She certainly deserves a go at league level
mark beswick
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun May 19, 2013 11:45 am

i didn't see much of the reserves on Friday, so i can't comment on that but everyone can have an off 'DEY' but overall her consistency, positioning, voice etc is certainly a lot better than some more high profile umpires who have a lot more 'off matches' than she has, i even think her endurance is greater than it was last year

bottom line is she must be given a chance because as i've said in the past i want the best person for the job of umpiring i don't care who it is whether that be a girl, a Martian or whoever

bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Sun May 19, 2013 3:55 pm

BloodnTars wrote:She was terrible Friday night. Seemed to be making a lot of decisions up, but then again so are the male ones. She was extremely good last year but seems to have dropped off a bit the 2 or 3 times I've seen her this year.

Have noticed another female umpire going around in Nadia Debellis. She has umpired a couple of reserves games and seemed ok.

From the couple of times I have seen her this year I would have to agree. Was very impressed last year so would be happy to see her given a go but thought she has been well down this season
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Mon May 20, 2013 7:16 pm

She couldn't possibly be promoted to league level after Friday night's game--Far to pedantic, giving free kicks for the slightest infringements.

She wasn't alone, her two counterparts weren't any better, but lets not get carried away just because she is female. If she is considered good enough by the umpiring board she will get to umpire at league level just as anyone else deserves to.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by MightyEagles Mon May 27, 2013 9:56 am

As a u18s timekeeper I have seen her a few times over the last few years, besides being easy on the eye, she is so far in front of the u18s umpires it's not funny.
MightyEagles
MightyEagles

Teams : Eagles
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodnTars Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:53 pm

Bump

From the SANFL site. Hope she does well

By Mayley Harris

An SANFL field umpire, Eleni Glouftsis, is poised to make history on Sunday when she becomes the first female in Australia to officiate a league match.

The 21-year-old will join the league field umpiring panel for the clash between North Adelaide and Glenelg at Prospect Oval.

Glouftsis has worked her way through the ranks of umpiring, beginning in 2006 in the North Eastern Metro Football Association. In 2008, Glouftsis began training at the SANFL as a boundary umpire, changing to field umpiring the following year.

“My parents used to umpire, dad umpired football and mum umpired netball,’’ Glouftsis explained when asked why she took up umpiring.

‘’Umpiring is in my blood, it is extra pocket money, a great way to keep fit and a way to be a part of the game that I love.”

Football is a predominately male-orientated sport but nothing has stopped Glouftsis, it’s the small pieces of advice she has kept with her that have helped along the way.

The fact her partner Dillon Tee is also an umpire has helped with the understanding and commitment which is needed in reaching league level.

“Dad used to always say ‘if it is to be, it’s up to me’, which will always stick with me,’’ Glouftsis said.

“Shane Harris (SANFL State Umpiring Manager) always sends the appointments with the email attachted full of ‘one liners’ and advice but then at the end, he always writes: ‘Enjoy’. This is to make sure that we are umpiring because we enjoy it not because it is our job.”

Harris is particularly pleased with Glouftsis’ rise to league ranks, the experienced umpiring mentor playing a major role in her development.

“What a fantastic achievement it will be for Eleni, she is a real trail-blazer in becoming the first female to officiate as a field umpire in an SANFL league match,’’ SANFL State Umpiring Manager Shane Harris said.

‘’In the toughest discipline of umpiring, Eleni has steadily progressed from junior level to the highest level within South Australia. This is a real credit to Eleni’s commitment and dedication while striving to reach SANFL league level.

‘’The SANFL’s Umpiring Department has marvelled at the manner in which Eleni has developed her knowledge and skills to be elevated to league level. Everyone in the SANFL, including the SANFL’s Umpiring Department, sincerely congratulates her on her achievement.

‘’Hopefully it is the first step toward Eleni being the first female field umpire to officiate in an AFL match.”

Nationally, the appointment of a female field umpire is a milestone in history.

“From a national umpiring perspective, the appointment of Eleni to a SANFL senior match is an amazing achievement,” AFL National Umpiring Manager Jeff Gieschen said.

“We have a strong and clear vision to try and recruit as many females to umpiring as possible. Eleni’s appointment demonstrates that females can make it to the top level in field umpiring. Field umpiring is obviously the most complex discipline of umpiring, therefore for Eleni to reach SANFL senior level this is a testament to her commitment, skill, knowledge, fitness and courage to persevere and have a go.

“I would like to acknowledge the great work done by Shane Harris and his umpire coaches in the SANFL who have guided Eleni to this historic appointment. I wish Eleni all the very best of luck in her career and congratulate her sincerely on this wonderful achievement. Hopefully one day we may see Eleni and Chelsea Roffey (female goal umpire) umpiring in an AFL game together.”

Glouftsis is proud and excited about her achievement of finally living her dream of making it to league level but if you ask her, this is only the first step.

“I am excited and proud about the achievement of league level, I just have to remember that it is just like any other game,” Glouftsis said.
BloodnTars
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:10 pm

well done to Eleni, it might be 3 or 4 months late but she finally makes her league debut, i'm sure she'll acquit herself well

good luck to Eleni & just look after the Tigers a little bit more than you do the Roosters Cool Very Happy Wink 
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:06 pm

Congratulations Eleni, well deserved, and try 12 months overdue.

Just do what comes to you naturally and you will be more than acceptable, enjoy your first of many SANFL games on your way to the first female AFL umpire.

I just ask that you always remember where it all started, I for one will venture to the ground this Sunday to cheer you on from this side of the white line boundary
Go Legs
Go Legs

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:32 pm

perhaps this weeks budget could do a souvenir edition & have Eleni as the ''centrefold'' & perhaps the ''player profile'' as well
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:29 pm

she could be holding a couple of (footy) balls
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville
My club : south