Lee
bayman
Admin
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SANFL Finals - 2013 and beyond Empty SANFL Finals - 2013 and beyond

Post by Admin Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:31 pm

The SANFL confirms that, while suburban finals are deferred for 2013 - due to the commitment for ABC-TV and the difficulty in telecasting finals at the grounds as a result - they are certainly on the table for 2014.

In addition for 2013, the SANFL will be utilising new technological advances to bring the game to even more fans around the state, country and globe:

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/1936/

SEPTEMBER IN THE SUBURBS
By ZAC MILBANK | Twitter: @zacmilbank

The SANFL will play suburban finals in 2014.

As the league this week confirmed this season’s major round would remain at AAMI Stadium, SANFL General Manager Football, Chris Davies, confirmed playing fixtures in September at popular grounds such as Gliderol Stadium will become reality.

‘’Playing suburban finals remains a priority for the competition - it will happen in the future," Davies said.

‘’The time is well and truly here for the SANFL competition, and its clubs, to evolve and adapt to the circumstances it is faced with."

The SANFL extended its long-term broadcast partnership with the ABC this week, with the government-funded organisation to telecast one match per round throughout this year.

However, the significant cost of telecasting finals matches at suburban venues resulted in the league putting its plans on hold for 12 months.

‘’The commercial realities of our negotiations with the ABC inhibited our ability to make the move to SANFL Finals at suburban venues in 2013,’’ Davies said.

‘’However, it remains a strategic priority for the competition in 2014.’’

With the media industry in the midst of a generational transition, the SANFL is now positioning itself to utilise new technology in 2013.

"It's clear the media landscape is changing," Davies said.

"This year will provide a unique opportunity for the SANFL to set a course for the future. As a result, the SANFL will embrace some exciting new technology in 2013."

The SANFL’s website is continuing to develop, with more news and video set to attract more visitors during the week.

The ‘’Live Scores’’ function on the SANFL website is already popular during weekends, making it clear the league must cater for its younger generation of supporters, as well as trying to attract
interest from interstate and overseas.

"Quality content is vital in generating website traffic," Davies said.

"Developing the SANFL's online capabilities will be a focus in the year to come."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

SANFL Finals - 2013 and beyond Empty Re: SANFL Finals - 2013 and beyond

Post by bayman Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:33 pm

as i said in the breaking news thread......

what's the difference between this year & next year for having home finals ? am i missing something ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:36 pm

I think they feel that there'll be no TV in 2014.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:52 pm

redandblack wrote:I think they feel that there'll be no TV in 2014.

spot on, this is the line that just says that the tv coverage is going to end at the end of this year

‘’Playing suburban finals remains a priority for the competition - it will happen in the future," Davies said.
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:56 pm

redandblack wrote:I think they feel that there'll be no TV in 2014.

really ?, i can't fathom that, what is the honest reason ? does anyone know the number of people that watch the games on TV ? hell one day one of us will be ill or injured in hospital & wont be able to at least watch the game, how about those in regional areas ? well if they put on sci fi films from the 1950's or Basil Rathbones Sherlock Holmes' series or indeed the Marx brothers films & last but not least the films of Scrappy & redandblack oh i mean Laurel & Hardy, at least that would be entertaining Very Happy
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:23 pm

there are no ratings for the SANFL coverage on ABC as I understand
the SANFL admin, probably feel that they would be cheapening the brand if finals were at suburban grounds and not at the main stadium!
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:28 pm

It might be to do with the costs involved in covering two games a weekend at different games.

I get to the footy early and it takes a lot of work to set up for TV.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:43 pm

redandblack wrote:It might be to do with the costs involved in covering two games a weekend at different games.

Yep, spot on...

I'm guessing the ABC wont want to have related costs involved for 2 telecasts on 2 seperate days. I don't think any suburban venue has the facilities to accommodate 4 sides in just 2 changerooms for a double header.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:54 pm

The Emperor wrote:there are no ratings for the SANFL coverage on ABC as I understand
the SANFL admin, probably feel that they would be cheapening the brand if finals were at suburban grounds and not at the main stadium!

thanks T EM,
no ratings = no one watches, well that's why they're going to pull the pin, however if you mean they don't do ratings on shows (whatever the show) then your mistaken, if CK or Tigerboss is around they'll be able to get the figures

bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:53 pm

This may sound like a simplistic question. Perhaps I'm a simplistic old fellow, or else I'm missing something too. But we have a large, purpose built, football stadium at West Lakes. At present it hosts an AFL game each week during the season and The SANFL finals in September. That's it. Once Adelaide Oval takes over all AFL games and the SANFL finals are relegated to the suburbs. What becomes of the SANFL's major asset? Perhaps Mr Davies could enlighten us? Or are they saying that they intend to bulldoze it and become property developers instead?
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:21 pm

I thought they were looking into the possibility of turning Footy Park into a 'boutique' 25,000 seater or something along those lines?
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by eartotheground Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:37 am

howthewestwaswon wrote:I thought they were looking into the possibility of turning Footy Park into a 'boutique' 25,000 seater or something along those lines?

Has been a curious rumour doing the rounds quietly in a number of circles for a while that supports this.

In order to retain the ABC coverage in 2014, and to utilise AAMI Stadium, that:

- One game per week, on a Saturday afternoon, will be played at AAMI Stadium, with seating corralled off in a similar way to Port home games, to keep the crowd in sections of best visibility
- ABC will use the TV broadcast area as a permanent set-up, to reduce the costs of going from ground to ground and setting up and taking down each week
- This game will be telecast on ABC each week from AAMI Stadium

It will also be a way for clubs to rotate the "home ground" at AAMI, and reduce their match day operating costs at their own grounds, while keeping TV coverage of the league.
eartotheground
eartotheground

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:41 am

Interesting. I haven't had time to decide whether it's a good idea or not, but it's good to see some lateral thinking if that's true, ettg.

Now that I've had some time, I think it's well worth considering Very Happy
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:19 am

Its like the 1980's every week a match at Football Park telecast on TV.

Over 18 rounds each club would lose two home games.

.... I suspect there is also a market (a small one) of current AAMI Stadium members who dont like the move to Adelaide Oval and may not transfer their membership to the new ground .... how can these be tapped into?
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:32 pm

PhilH wrote:Its like the 1980's every week a match at Football Park telecast on TV.

Over 18 rounds each club would lose two home games.

beat me to it, yep it's ''back to the future''......actually this is a great idea & it keeps tv coverage, just on a different note where will the Foxtel Cup matches be played ? or will Fox borrow the ABC's cameras ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:58 pm

bayman wrote:
The Emperor wrote:there are no ratings for the SANFL coverage on ABC as I understand

thanks T EM,
no ratings = no one watches, well that's why they're going to pull the pin, however if you mean they don't do ratings on shows (whatever the show) then your mistaken, if CK or Tigerboss is around they'll be able to get the figures

there are no official ratings
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:00 pm

Big Phil wrote:
redandblack wrote:It might be to do with the costs involved in covering two games a weekend at different games.

Yep, spot on...

I'm guessing the ABC wont want to have related costs involved for 2 telecasts on 2 seperate days. I don't think any suburban venue has the facilities to accommodate 4 sides in just 2 changerooms for a double header.

so why do we need a double header at suburban ovals??
play 1 sat day or night and 1 sunday
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:03 pm

why dont we have double headers on a sat at footy park?

if an afl team plays home on a sunday

then saturday the ground can be used.
if a team play sat night then play a traditional day double header
if a team play sat then play a twilight match into a night match

this is for minor round games

Last edited by The Emperor on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:40 pm

Broadcast one match. Don't broadcast the other. Simple. This is about people getting to the game, not those lounging around at home.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:31 pm

howthewestwaswon wrote:Broadcast one match. Don't broadcast the other. Simple. This is about people getting to the game, not those lounging around at home.

Very Happy dont make it sound that easy
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:10 pm

bayman wrote:beat me to it, yep it's ''back to the future''......actually this is a great idea & it keeps tv coverage, just on a different note where will the Foxtel Cup matches be played ? or will Fox borrow the ABC's cameras ?

The Foxtel Cup matches are being played at suburban grounds this year, I think?
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by eartotheground Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:55 pm

eartotheground wrote:
howthewestwaswon wrote:I thought they were looking into the possibility of turning Footy Park into a 'boutique' 25,000 seater or something along those lines?
Has been a curious rumour doing the rounds quietly in a number of circles for a while that supports this.

- One game per week, on a Saturday afternoon, will be played at AAMI Stadium, with seating corralled off in a similar way to Port home games, to keep the crowd in sections of best visibility
- ABC will use the TV broadcast area as a permanent set-up, to reduce the costs of going from ground to ground and setting up and taking down each week

It will also be a way for clubs to rotate the "home ground" at AAMI, and reduce their match day operating costs at their own grounds, while keeping TV coverage of the league.
Discussion on this one allegedly moving forward strongly, for regular season games - but not with ABC as the broadcast partner. Allegedly being thrown around as a possible added bonus for another broadcaster to jump on board.

In addition to the idea that if a new broadcaster comes on board, $1 million needs to be found for them to do it (given that the possible new broadcaster has already stated they will not pay directly), it does make the landscape very interesting.
eartotheground
eartotheground

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:04 pm

eartotheground wrote:
eartotheground wrote:

Discussion on this one allegedly moving forward strongly, for regular season games - but not with ABC as the broadcast partner. Allegedly being thrown around as a possible added bonus for another broadcaster to jump on board.

In addition to the idea that if a new broadcaster comes on board, $1 million needs to be found for them to do it (given that the possible new broadcaster has already stated they will not pay directly), it does make the landscape very interesting.
So they would open up the whole ground for 2000 spectators, maybe just open up the members area.

I can't believe the SANFL would be looking into this, opening up a ground that holds 55,000 for just 2000-2500 spectators.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:03 pm

well as i posted in the ''rumour file'' a former Eagles player told me today not to be surprised if they (Eagles) play some home games at Footy Park.....he was as baffled as i was when he told me, can't see how they'll make more money there than at Woodville
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:45 pm

[/quote]In addition to the idea that if a new broadcaster comes on board, $1 million needs to be found for them to do it (given that the possible new broadcaster has already stated they will not pay directly), it does make the landscape very interesting.[/quote]So they would open up the whole ground for 2000 spectators, maybe just open up the members area.

I can't believe the SANFL would be looking into this, opening up a ground that holds 55,000 for just 2000-2500 spectators.[/quote]

Or less if its a South match.

Lets be serious, why would the SANFL be looking to play a match at FP each week, looks like the ABC is now holding the SANFL to some sort of ransom over costings. Clubs are not going to give up home ground advantage and revenue just because Aunty has a limited budget. It is going to be a programming nightmare to get every team to play an equal number of home games and an equal number of away games at FP, or are special deals going to be done to make it look fair on the outside.
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next