Booney
Lee
Brucetiki
Gingernuts
13 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2nd Qualifying Final - Adelaide vs Sydney - Sat 8th Sept Empty 2nd Qualifying Final - Adelaide vs Sydney - Sat 8th Sept

Post by Gingernuts Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:01 pm

I will post a decent write up a bit later, but if you have any discussion to get things started post away.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

2nd Qualifying Final - Adelaide vs Sydney - Sat 8th Sept Empty Re: 2nd Qualifying Final - Adelaide vs Sydney - Sat 8th Sept

Post by Gingernuts Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Well here we are, it’s business time.

Adelaide have had a season that has certainly exceeded all expectations. I, like most supporters, expected/hoped for a return to finals, but 2nd spot and a guaranteed 2 home finals is like something sent from heaven. Not only that, but the first final has Adelaide facing it’s only ‘bunny’ gift wrapped on their home deck.

As Sanderson pointed out in his press conference after the game on Saturday though, the season starts again now. A straight sets exit would be an extremely disappointing result. The ghost’s of Craig’s Crows still haunt me a little bit, but when I look at the cold hard facts it’s hard to deny that Adelaide are primed and ready for this finals campaign arguably better than they have ever been, including their premiership years.

1. A full deck
Adelaide has absolutely no injuries, and Sanderson and crew have managed the ‘niggles’ very well. Sloane, Walker, Jacobs, Vince and others have all had a match off to prevent a niggle becoming a full blown injury and this has the squad in unbelievable condition for this finals assault.

2. Upside
When I look at Adelaide’s list I see young players (50-100 gamers) begging for a chance to prove themselves on the big stage. Walker, Sloane & Dangerfield in particular are the players that I think will find another gear in the next few weeks. Finals are where legends are made and I think we may see a couple of these players elevate their status in the game by their deeds this September.

3. Experience
While Adelaide are young on the whole, they are by no means bereft of experience. Every line has experienced heads to marshal the troops, with Callinan up forward, Thompson in the middle, and the Doughty/Reilly/Rutten combo in defence. Some of these players have also experienced the pain of multiple finals failures, and as they start to close out their careers they would be champing at the bit to make the most of this opportunity.

So there you have it. Will this all add up to the ultimate success in a month’s time? Who knows. What I do know is that I have a feeling that I haven’t felt for 15 years. The butterflies are stirring in the stomach, and the nerves are twitchy. Adelaide are in this race, well and truly.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

2nd Qualifying Final - Adelaide vs Sydney - Sat 8th Sept Empty Re: 2nd Qualifying Final - Adelaide vs Sydney - Sat 8th Sept

Post by Brucetiki Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:24 pm

Just 4000 tickets left for Saturday's final - a very surprising (and pleasing) run of ticket sales. I don't believe this includes the Members, but there wasn't much Members reserved seating left this morning (I got offered bay 308 but saving the $10 and going GA, seeing as bay 309 is GA anyway), and I suspect the Members GA ticketing would be just as strong.

Had to laugh at everyone clamouring for tickets during the Members pre-sale yesterday, dealing with delays queueing in person or online (and subsequent delays in delivery of Ticketfast tickets). I forgot to take my ticket to work yesterday, so missed out on the pre-sale, so I booked mine this morning. Took 2 minutes to get my Members GA tickets, and got the Ticketfast link straight away!

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:30 pm

It all looks good for Adelaide, but Sydney's brand is to produce under pressure and their game is suited to finals footy.

You wouldn't think there will be any easy kicks, but I can see Adelaide having a bit too much for the Swans.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:31 am

Adelaide have no excuses for not making it straight through to the preliminary final, where, Collingwood or Hawthorn will be waiting.

But thats two weeks away, this weeks game.

Adelaide have two things to counter to get over Sydney this week.

Mumford and Pyke. If Jacobs, as I expect, breaks even with these two monsters then Adelaide will continue to feed off of Jacobs' hot-outs to advantage.

Adam Goodes. I dont think Talia will go to Goodes ( Talia now Adelaides best tall defender ) if Goodes goes to play out of the goal square, leaving Rutten to do the job. This will suit Goodes when he goes forward.

Having said that, I expect Adelaide to win this one comfortably and be slip up in the prelim when, as mentioned, Hawthorn or Collingwood will come to town.

Well, one can only hope. Very Happy
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:09 pm

Yes, a road to a preliminary has been handed to them on a platter. Unlike Craigy's crew back in 05/06 I think the current crop will make the most of the opportunity on Saturday.

The one area that concerns me is that teams have been playing tight one on one football and crowding the stoppages against Adelaide in recent weeks and it seems to shut the Adelaide midfield and forward line down very well.

That type of negative shutdown is right up Sydney's alley so if midfielders like Dangerfield don't make the effort to run, break tackles and create, then Adelaide could be in a world of trouble. Things will degenerate into the old bomb into the forward line, mop up by opposition defenders, hurt on the rebound cycle.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:05 am

Getting nervous yet Ginge?

Adelaide perfectly set up for a win here mate, BUT, Sydney ( albeit a couple of losses ) have had some good tune up matches in recent weeks and Adelaide have had it nice and fluffy for about a month now. Sydney will also be aware of their poor record here and will do all they can to upset Adelaides party. Goodes loves the big occasion and they have two big ruckmen who can compete with Jacobs.

I think Adelaide will win, but I expect this might almost be the game of week one*.

*I think Hawthorn will give collingwood a touch up.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:26 am

Always nervous mate. September has not been a happy place for Adelaide for many many years. Plenty of attempts, nothing to show for it except heartache.

I keep telling myself that this is a completely different crop of players and a different coach, but the ghosts of the last decade take a lot to shake off.

I think it will be a close one. I don't know if I can take losing another final in the dying minutes of the game, god I hope that doesn't happen again.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:32 am

Try losing a GF in the opening minutes of the game.....toughen up you lot! Wink
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:45 am

LMAO Laughing
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:52 am

All you Port and SANFL fans complaining about the overkill coverage of Adelaide in the tiser, I don't know what you're talking about.

All I see is quality journalism addressing key issues in the coming final:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/clash-of-priorities-for-claude-the-crow/story-e6frecoc-1226466337539
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:39 pm

Booney wrote:Try losing a GF in the opening minutes of the game.....toughen up you lot! Wink

Laughing Laughing Too funny Booney!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any tickets left - last night I heard 1500 left - that should mean capacity crowd yeah?
And live coverage on TV perhaps?
Says the game starts at 2:45pm - is that first bounce?

It appears I may miss the first half - as I feel the need to make an appearance at new daughter-in-laws netball finals game at 3pm.
Bet 'A Dad' gets out of it though !!! Laughing

2nd Qualifying Final - Adelaide vs Sydney - Sat 8th Sept 2829010660

A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:44 pm

A couple of real pearlers in the article:

At 5pm yesterday about 1500 tickets were left for the qualifying final against Sydney, giving AAMI Stadium the best chance of its first sell-out crowd since the round 5 Showdown in 2003.

Um, the last sell-out crowd was the Collingwood game in May - and there's been numerous sell-outs since that 2003 Showdown.

Buses will display FX1 through to FX23 and will run throughout the day.

Thank you for stating the bleeding obvious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:45 pm

A Mum wrote:And live coverage on TV perhaps?
Says the game starts at 2:45pm - is that first bounce?

It appears I may miss the first half - as I feel the need to make an appearance at new daughter-in-laws netball finals game at 3pm.
Bet 'A Dad' gets out of it though !!! Laughing

2nd Qualifying Final - Adelaide vs Sydney - Sat 8th Sept 2829010660

Game will be on live from 2:00pm on 7, and 2:30pm on Fox Footy

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:58 pm

Okay - thanks Brucetiki 2nd Qualifying Final - Adelaide vs Sydney - Sat 8th Sept 2829010660

Appologies to Booney in advance Razz
But...

Go Crows !!
A Mum
A Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Sell-out doesn't mean capacity crowd. All Football Park members who are Port Adelaide or other AFL club fnas still would have had to pay to get in, so, I would expect a crowd of 45-46,000.

Been a long time since the 50,000 mark has been surpassed.

Dont apologise Mum.....

GO SWANNIES!!!!
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:58 pm

lol!
A Mum
A Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:02 pm

Booney wrote:Sell-out doesn't mean capacity crowd. All Football Park members who are Port Adelaide or other AFL club fnas still would have had to pay to get in, so, I would expect a crowd of 45-46,000.

Been a long time since the 50,000 mark has been surpassed.

Last time 50 000 was reached was for the 2009 EF against Essendon. For that game, from memory, they ended up selling seats in the members to the general public when they became the last seats left to ensure 'sold out' truly meant every last ticket was sold.

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Got a feeling we're going to lose this week, win the week after most likely against Geelong and then lose the Prelim Final. Don't think Sydney will lose 3 in a row.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodnTars Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:24 pm

sapaul wrote:Got a feeling we're going to lose this week, win the week after most likely against Geelong and then lose the Prelim Final. Don't think Sydney will lose 3 in a row.

I'm hoping you are wrong but wouldn't mind a roadtrip to Melbourne for a prelim final.
BloodnTars
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:58 am

The team is:

B: Sam Shaw, Ben Rutten, Michael Doughty
HB: Nathan van Berlo, Daniel Talia, Brent Reilly
C: David Mackay, Patrick Dangerfield, Richard Douglas
HF: Matthew Wright, Taylor Walker, Jared Petrenko
F: Ian Callinan, Kurt Tippett, Jason Porplyzia
FOLL: Sam Jacobs, Scott Thompson, Rory Sloane
INT: Graham Johncock, Aidan Riley, Brodie Smith, Bernie Vince
EMERG: Ricky Henderson, Matt Jaensch, Shaun McKernan

IN: Bernie Vince, Taylor Walker
OUT: Matt Jaensch (omitted), Tom Lynch (omitted)

The team is FULL STRENGTH. There are winners on every line. The only possible weakness is finals experience, and that has to start somewhere.

Full credit to Sanderson & coaches, as well as the fitness & other support staff. This team could not be prepared better for a finals assault.

Now it's up the the players to make it count.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:43 pm

bigclock wrote:We are the best side in the comp by a country mile

Yeah .... sure.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Gingernuts Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:08 pm

I love you're enthusiasm clocky, but we'll only be the best if we're holding the cup in a months time.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next