Booney
Flag No.10
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Glenelg Empty Re: Glenelg

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:28 pm

I found it curious that in the same article it was mooted that the club might not be able to continue next year, and that they had just signed Matthew Lokan for a further two years.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:31 pm

I think you will find some of those supporters were very strong in venting their displeasure at a club meeting about voting "yes"to having the AFL teams in the comp.

I know a few who vowed never to return.

I think the club listened to the SANFL give them promises that all will be fixed with the AFL teams coming into the comp. (like many SANFL clubs)
Sadly, this is what it has come too. No pot of money at the end of the rainbow - just broken promises.
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:20 am

Yep, many Glenelg fans were the most vocal anti-AFL reserves and, somehow, found it easy to walk away from their club ( I've found it very difficult to walk away from the Magpies despite the new structure ) and now their club is neck deep in droppings they need to swallow their pride and cough up or watch the GFC become a dodo bird.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:53 am

You reap what you sow and Chiggy is just realising that now....
The Emperor
The Emperor

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:20 pm

Not all of it no, but it hasn't helped as many fans boycott the club and the league.
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:05 pm

Personally i think the SANFL is doomed.
The decision to allow the afl reserves sides into the league has been an unmitigated disaster, it has has led to dwindling attendances and revenue when the opposite was promised.
If you think Glenelg are the only club in trouble I think you are sadly mistaken ! there are currently several clubs running purely on the benefit of a few very wealthy benefactors/ supporters.
The sanfl has poured over 20 mill into the financial basket case which was the Port Adelaide football club- in fact they borrowed money to throw into that bottomless pit.! Do you think that the SANFL is going to bail any of its shareholder clubs out?? - No way! - they seriously havent got the coin. They dont give a rats...since Whicker left the scene the place has gone to rack and ruin, and well history tells us that anything that has Olsens fingerprints on it quickly turns to ****.
The television deal which historically has given the league an excellent profile is a disaster and its coverage is heavily biased in the AFL teams favour.
The decision to drip feed the sanfl clubs with revenue from the sale of Footy Park is laughable. its seriously backended - ie the clubs will receive more in a few years..great--only trouble is the way things are at present there wont be too many clubs around in 5 years time. the mooted current annual dividend wont even pay the interest in most clubs debt.
The SANFL commission was introduced at the same time as the AFL clubs came on the scene. The principal role of this mob was to govern and run the AFL licenses which at the time were owned by the SANFL. Newsflash!- the SANFL licenses were "sold/given" to the Crows and Port 2 years ago. Its odd to me that the SANFL commission hasnt been disbanded and made redundant- instead it now seems the Commission is running the show- not the league delegates who ran the league pre AFL.

rant over.

blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:08 pm

as i understand it, to get the lights Glenelg needed council approval, the council voted yes & approved it, then 3 council members as private citizens lodge injunctions for the court to hear it (not sure of the proper terminology) this court case cost astronomical & was unforseen before it happened, obviously other appointments (off field) weren't good choices either, everyone makes mistakes & we as a club has made these mistakes, you learn from mistakes & get better, this may make us a better club (business wise) in the long run, as for supporters not supporting for the AFL reason is true & it is true at all real clubs, i don't think this is the main reason for the loss of supporters, i think the main reason & i've seen this way too often is our supporters stay away when the team is near the bottom & isn't winning many matches (happens at all clubs).......as for the dodo bird quip, yep you are right & you would know as your magpies' are sadly dodo birds as well..................i asked on snouts whether i could take money out of super to help the cause & the short answer from a banking person was NO, so i'll donate $500.00 in the next week or so & continue donating whatever i can afford every week or two, obviously school fees come first but after that i'll put in something on a consistent basis
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:18 pm

blueandwhite wrote:Personally i think the SANFL is doomed.

No way! - they seriously havent got the coin. They dont give a rats...since Whicker left the scene the place has gone to rack and ruin, and well history tells us that anything that has Olsens fingerprints on it quickly turns to ****.

DOOMED or will it change to A.F.L.S.A. & they run the show & in time make it even more of a feeder comp ?

Olsen historically sells business' remember the water, gas, electricity & tab just to name some that was sold when he was premier ? at least when he was on North Terrace he couldn't damage football but now he can & is along with his cronies all or at least some of them waiting for cushy jobs paid for by the custodians of our great game
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:15 am

bayman wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:Personally i think the SANFL is doomed.

No way! - they seriously havent got the coin. They dont give a rats...since Whicker left the scene the place has gone to rack and ruin, and well history tells us that anything that has Olsens fingerprints on it quickly turns to ****.

DOOMED or will it change to A.F.L.S.A. & they run the show & in time make it even more of a feeder comp ?

Olsen historically sells business' remember the water, gas, electricity & tab just to name some that was sold when he was premier ? at least when he was on North Terrace he couldn't damage football but now he can & is along with his cronies all or at least some of them waiting for cushy jobs paid for by the custodians of our great game

Lets not forget The lot that don't pay players already use that in sa not sure how they will go selling it to the AFL . Saying that they are getting 6 mil to upgrade Thebbie oval 
could be going on now 
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by William Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:44 pm

Any more updates on Glenelg? Would have thought the west lakes money would help alot?
William
William

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:20 pm

I read the article linked below in the advertiser that refects the ongoing finacial issues with the glenelg football club and the need for the local council to forgo a large part of the money that they loaned to the club.

Phone calls today to a few people i know indicated that council and councillors were reportedly getting some heat not to forgo the monies owed.

I support west adelaide but more importantly i support the sanfl of which glenelg is a historic and vital part off. Glenelg must be retained omo!

It was pleasing to read quote 'It was also revealed in the council’s annual report that the council loaned the Tigers $120,000 in December for marketing of the Glenelg Club at Glenelg Oval." End quote but then i noted that reportedly it owes $1.2 million to ANZ for its bistro.

I find this of great concern but do admit to having very limited knowledge in reference to high dollar finiance matter .

While obviously not good is this as bad as seems on face value or is this matter now critical to the clubs survival -- how long can a business organisation run at a loss before the direcrors are legally required to start bankruptcy procedure.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/west-beaches/holdfast-bay-council-doubts-glenelg-football-club-will-pay-back-debt-as-it-seeks-to-have-loan-written-off/news-story/d9678690cca40aea5c3c06ccce108dec
oldfella
oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:58 pm

This SANFL football club is targeting to raise a Steve Austin $6,000,000 amount
A major leeway effort will be needed

www.buildthefort.com.au
At the time of this link
$4,306,000 has been raised

Could Glenelg raise money doing similarly ?

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:56 pm

Glenelg has raised $250,000
$100,00 from fundraising
The SANFL has chipped in with some loot as well

Still a way of the $3.4 million reported debt , but the 250,000 is a start
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Millsie89 Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:39 pm

How can they afford to run a Women's team aswell with this amount of debt??
Millsie89
Millsie89

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:41 pm

Millsie, there is some cost offset to help, through grants, but I'd expect Glenelg to cover the extra cost through sponsorship.

On top of that, they would be hoping for increased revenue through more people coming through the club, probably.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:17 pm

" The club launched  Save The Tigers debt demolition campaign , which has raised nearly $250,000, that includes a contribution fro the SANFL and another $100k from the fundraising."

By
Chris Mcdermott

So Glenelg $100,000
The rest being from the SANFL or other or both
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:50 pm

waddayamean wrote:Any updates with their situation ? The silence by the club is concerning and deathly. I would have thought they would get very proactive ?

Not a lot. They had a meeting with the council who is the main creditor but the results aren't being disclosed by either party beyond a vague 'continuing to support' message.

UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next