CRICKET Match Versions take your pick

+2
robranisgod
The Emperor
6 posters

Go down

CRICKET Match Versions take your pick Empty CRICKET Match Versions take your pick

Post by Scrappy Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:33 pm

Where is cricket heading in Australia and a'broad' ?
When I first starting watching cricket it was  a choice of 2
Either Test Matches or Sheffield Shield

Now there are more versions of cricket played in Australia
1 Test Matches
2 Sheffield Shield
3 One Day Internationals
4 Domestic  one day games
5 20/20  Internationals
6 20/20 Domestic Big Bash

The one that I fear might be running its race is the One day 50 over matches
Tests has extreme intensity
20/20 has excitement
50 over matches might just be heading into no mans land , seemingly too much teasing , lots of pushing nudging etc. trying to get into a good enough position in the last 10-20 overs to accelerate a launch of sorts
To some it means its quietish  for 30-40 overs to get into a 20/20 cricket finish

As for me
I like watching Tests and the local BBL matches [I dont watch any other 20/20 comps though]
The only games I attend these days are the Sheffield Shield matches
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

CRICKET Match Versions take your pick Empty Re: CRICKET Match Versions take your pick

Post by The Emperor Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:44 pm

I may attend a World Cup match here as I fear this is the last World Cup that may be taken seriously.
The Emperor
The Emperor

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

CRICKET Match Versions take your pick Empty Re: CRICKET Match Versions take your pick

Post by Scrappy Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:14 pm

BBL
Lots of balls being hit into the crowd in these games
How long before we have a serious injury to a spectator ?

This also applies to any formats of cricket
Should the ACB be proactive to this ?
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:05 pm

Scrappy wrote:BBL
Lots of balls being hit into the crowd in these games
How long before we have a serious injury to a spectator ?

This also applies to any formats of cricket
Should the ACB be proactive to this ?

when your at bbl matches the ground announcer emphasizes the need for the crowd to keep their eye on the play & the ball to ensure no one gets hit & hurt badly
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:49 pm

* Just finally Id like to make the point that I think its extremely disappointing for international cricket and a let down to the Australian public who are paying to watch Test cricket that due to a range of complicated issues, some of the West Indies BIGgest stars will be here for the BBL and not for their country
The ICC and the Windies board needs to fix this ASAP otherwise it will continue to be to the detriment of Test cricket*

BY
Michael Clarke

Clarke has certainly been outspoken of late in the media
This is a real dig at West Indian cricket
There is a Clarke and BBL critic on this site , I wonder his thoughts ?
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:04 pm

he's wrong on one count, that being the West Indies is NOT a country, is is made up of numerous islands which include Barbados, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago & many more, without googling & getting exact figures some of these are independent countries on their own & only join together for cricket & maybe some other sports, in the Olympics they go under their own countries, apart from that Clarke is correct
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:28 am

* The BIG bash will arrive at a perfect time to light up the summer
Not only will it outdraw the Tests against the WI , but it may at times outrate it on TV, which would be a stunning acheivement for a domestic competition
Having the BIG bash steal the spotlight would not be a bd moment for cricket, for it is doing an outstanding job attracting new fans to the game.

Just before the BIG bash started a nationwide survey revealed alarming figures that cricket had dropped out of favor with children, women and families
The BIG bash arrived to lure all 3 back to the fold
Far from feeling cheapened by its presence, the game needs it more than ever*

By
Robert Crash Craddock

Test cricket will always be number one for me for viewing
However some Test cricket has lost some appeal for me
Apart from the Pink ball test , I have found the home series against India, New Zealand and now West Indies have become a bit boring with the flat decks and the batathons

However the England v Australia series was mostly entertaining to watch , as the contests were played on a variety of pitches, the equilibrium of batting and bowling varied, which I really enjoyed

Now , I am a cricket enthusiast , which means irrespective of how Test cricket proceeds, I will always be a fan of it.
However, bearing in mind the Craddock report , I can see why some other cricket followers will all but abandon the long format, and become short format followers
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:19 pm

" I cant see myself turning on Australia versus West Indies
Unfortunatley thats where world cricket is at the moment with a couple of these nations, and Im pretty sure the BIG bash will be a better contest
Its a great product.
The ratings are outstanding
The woman and children come along to the games and watch the fireworks and see some really good cricket."

By
Brad Hodge

The last sentence sums it up, a new audience
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:57 am

" I havent played BIG Bash in the last 2 years.
Its been great for me to actually not play
If we look back to the 2013-2014 Ashes I played a BIG bash game and came out in the second over of a Test and tried to hit one out of the park
I was in 20/20 mode and I felt that really hindered my preparation
I didnt want to have that again and thats genuinely the reason why Im not playing the BIG bash
I would love to play BIG Bash but for me its about preparing right to deliver on Boxing Day."

By
David Warner

David Warner in Test matches played in Australia
25 Tests
59.29 average
11 tons
Made tons in every state of Australia , except for one
That happens to be the MCG
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:40 pm

" I believe there are West Indies players today who want to make Test Cricket and do well, because the IPL is just around the corner.
And they can go there
That is not going to develop country , that is not going to bring a country to the standard it used to be , because as soon as they develop and there gone to.
I have always played for the West Indies team you know and it was such a pleasure and joy , to able to do what I did
You know records mean nothing
The team was important
I dont think we have that type of person today
We might have them in different countries, we might have them in Sri Lanka we might have them in England , in Australia , but I dont think we have that type of person in the West Indies cricket anymore , who is quite prepared to play and give it everything to their country
And that hurts."

By
Gary Sobers
Remarkably this emotional interview was shown at 1/2 time of the BIG Bash  game between the  Melbourne Renegades and Perth Scorchers
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:46 pm

tonight big bash match showed why it is the most popular of all the forms of cricket, anyone who is critical of the big bash just has to watch tonights' match & the power batting of Travis Head (who has done it before) especially the last 5 overs when they (Adelaide) were way behind the 8 ball, he'll get some accolades but i'll bet if it was a Gayle or McCullum the media would be giving it air time for several days, i went tonight & thoroughly enjoyed it, i was surprised that some families decided to leave with 5 overs left, baffling in my book because the nature of the game is one over can change the complex of any match
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:01 pm

WORLD CRICKET CHAMPIONSHIP

Personally Ive been spruiking the idea of a test championship for a few years
Its been raised recently by Greg Dyer of the Australian cricketers association
Dyer is suggesting a 2 year championship
Points awarded , then a finals system
This to acknowledge the best team on the planet

Are Test series becoming outdated at times ?
The Ashes series are great, but are there too many series becoming more and more meaningless ?
I draw attention to spates of 2 test series of recent times , are those series results too flukey ?
3 tests hardly seem enough at times, 2 is not enough, in my opinion

We have had series in the past where teams who are leading in the series , adopt more negative approaches , to protect series leads, and at times being content with a lets not lose approach
A world championship more or less eliminates dead rubber contests as well

What have we got now
We have a Test ranking points system
But no finals

We have World Cups in 50 over + 20 over cricket
Is it time for some sort of World Cup Test cricket tournament?

5 day tests against all nations play against each other in a tournament logistically would be difficult, the time span could take months, so perhaps Greg Dyers 2 year points system is the way to go
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Greg Dyer.....surely it isn't the same person that CHEATED many years ago ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:42 pm

bayman wrote:Greg Dyer.....surely it isn't the same person that CHEATED many years ago ?

Certainly is the same Greg Dyer. His name was brought up by Ian Chappell qnd Greg Matthews when the Joe Burns half volley "catch" was reviewed during the last test.  Matthews said that the incident had scarred Dyer but he had fought back to be a respected piblic figure in NSW
It brings me to another point. There were differing reactions to the Burns catch. Chappell was adamant that it hadn't carried. He was on the radio at the time. The channel 9 commentators at the time thought it was a catch.

Then again Channel 9 have always been very parochial in such matters. Michael Clarke should never have been allowed to captain Australia after claiming that he caught Ganguly when the ball had bounced  in the infamous 2008 test. Channel 9 didn't show the most incriminating vision but the Indian coverage, I think it was Star TV showed the vision that clearly showed that Clarke had CHEATED.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:19 pm

Test cricket is just that, a test of ability and character. Most of the great matches of recent years have been Test matches, although recent poor opposition, drop-in pitches and ridiculous bats have skewed the balance.

T20 is fun, but is set up for entertainment rather than a true cricket test.

Both can be enjoyed.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:18 am

SPECTATORS SPORT
20/20 cricket and Test cricket offered a contrast within a week

3/1/2016
BBL
Brisbane Heat[4/189]
Sydney Thunder [5/186]
This game was played in quite heavy rain

3/1/2016 -7/1/2016
3RD TEST
Australia V West Indies
WI 330
AU 2/176
Rain killed this test match
75 overs day 1
11.2 overs day 2
no play day 3
no play day 4
63.5 overs day 5 [and they ended it with an hour to go]

Spectators happy they saw the whole 20/20 game
The players had to play in the rain, in perhaps unsafe conditions

About 6865 spectators deprived of the last hours play in the 3rd test when both AU /WI decided to call it off
After no play for the previous 2 days , and with David Warner 122 not out , they could feel somewhat short changed

Will Test Cricket lose out to 20/20 cricket on what happened on 2 versions of games that started on 3/1/2016 ?
Kids at the 5th day Test in Sydney might rightly asked their guardians, why are they finishing, there is an hour to go
Some of the 6865 spectators may well ask, they had no play for 2 days, they cant be too tired, why not play the game out

Last edited by Scrappy on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:34 pm

I don't think T20 should be programmed during a test match or test series.
If the Windies players weren't lured to T20 for the $, would they have played the tests?

But it is a distraction to a test in my view.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:24 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:I don't think T20 should be programmed during a test match or test series.
If the Windies players weren't lured to T20 for the $, would they have played the tests?

But it is a distraction to a test in my view.

Chambo, would you work for $20.00 per hour for the company you've had a long association with & stay with them or when a rival company offers you $200.00 per hour would you make the move ?

(off course these players do not represent their country either, but represent a group of countries)
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:36 am

That's my point if the programming didn't clash would they have played the tests?
I understand the lure of better pay, when the Windies admin don't seem too interested in looking after their players.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:44 pm

The current ODI series match v India means some players on International duty are not available to play BBL finals
Heres what a couple of Australian players have to say about it

"I think every player is on the same page
Theyd love to be part of BBL finals but at the same time I think no one would give up playing cricket for Australia for a second to play for a franchise."

BY
Aaron Finch

" As far as Im concerned its having the best team available to win the game for Australia
For me the BBL's irrelevant
For all of that stuff I want my team to do what we can to win every series we play in.

BY
Steve STARmith

I think that all future scheduling, if at all possible,  should not have ODIs/Tests/T20 Internationals clashing with BBL Finals

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:30 pm

Are the Australian players having too much cricket with the 3 versions ?
Great entertainment for the viewers and spectators , but the players ?

Victoria V Tasmania SS match
3/2/2016

TA 241
After 2 overs in the Victorian batting innings Markus Stonis was substituted by Ian Holland
Stoinis match contribution 1/27[5] , did not bat in this match as was summoned to go to New Zealand where  Australia is currently playing an ODI series
VI 271
TA 228
After 34 overs of the Tasmanian 2nd innings James Pattinson was substituted by Clint McKay
Pattinsons match contribution  2/54 [13.3] + 32 runs + 1/27[8]
He has gone to NZ to fully prepare for the Test series starting 12/2/2016

Alls well that ends well Victoria won this match my making 3/200 batting last
Had they not , perhaps these replacings may have been highlighted in the press more

Is there too much cricket ?
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:40 am

A 2 Test series coming up New Zealand V Australia starting 12/2/2016
NZ played 3 tests in Australia in 2015
The New Zealanders only get 2 at home in 2016

Are 2 test series enough ?
Will 2 test series turn some people off Test cricket to follow or prefer the other forms of cricket?

I think all International Test series series, should be a minimum of 3 tests
Perhaps less limited over games to allow this to happen
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:50 am

I think cricket programming is all over the place.
The only guaranteed 5 test series is the Ashes these days.

The ICC seems to be doing nothing at the moment to organise cricket properly.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:54 am

Talk that the BBL seasons  might be extended and played to mid/late February

I would prefer the same amount of games, without BBL finals clashing with International formats of cricket
Easier said than done

I enjoy the BBL as much as Test matches
Its annoying when the BBL is weakened because of the scheduling

Adelaide Strikers missed out on having Billy Stanfield for the BBL final, when he played a T20 International against NZ
They almost had Travis Head and Alex Carey unavailable , fortunately common sense prevailed , both released to play
Both had to back up the  next day , after flying home,  after playing for Australia

Should the BBL season be extended ?
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:50 am

No I think the hit and giggle runs long enough and probably ok over the Christmas period.

It is dumb programming International T20 that compromises player availability.

Personally the ODI format seems to becoming just an extended T20 game.

For mine the ODI has just about run its race. 2 short forms of the game is too many and I doubt T20 will go away with the massive payments on offer.

The only relevance ODIs have is for the World Cup imo. How long that remains, who knows?
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down