Harts7
Big Phil
Flag No.10
Ben W
The Hatchet
20 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Get a Player's View - Ask Harts - Page 2 Empty Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Big Phil Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:35 pm

Harts7 wrote:
Big Phil wrote:Harts, who lifts more?

You or Justin Hardy? Very Happy

Justin Hardy by a long way! 

Certainly helps when he's spent the past 18 months in the gym (due to knee problem). 

We've got a couple of younger fellas who are lifting some impressive numbers at the moment though. Mase Middleton, Tom Keough & Corey Solly have all started the 2015 campaign big and strong.

How is the big mans knee?

Will we see him out on the paddock in 2015?
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Get a Player's View - Ask Harts - Page 2 Empty Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:12 pm

Fantastic work Harts.

Great to get an "inside" perspective on things.

And I agree, a small but conspicuous selection of the Double Blue "faithful" would be more at home at Taronga Zoo.

Anyway to my question. And this is perhaps a little hard to get a definitive perspective on. 

But I am curious as to the players opinions on how the rewards available to them across AFL, SANFL and Ammos/Country in proportion to the effort required is considered. Do you guys think that the current system is working well for you?

Many players would have had a crack at all 3 levels before they hang up the boots. So they would get a decent look at the effort/reward ratio.

Personally, I am of the view that the system is flawed and that particularly the AFL is not that interested in keeping or promoting a sustainable balance to this. But then I am not close to it. It just seems the sanfl is caught in the middle and a bit compromised by it.

Your call?
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Harts7 Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:50 am

Big Phil wrote:Hey Harts,

I think it is great you are putting yourself on here and willing to answer some questions, good on you, mate...

Any superstitions you have in your pre-game routine?

Not a problem Big Phil!

No real superstitions other than having hot/cold showers about 45 minutes before running out on the ground. I set up two showers, one with warm water and the other just cold water. Then spend 10-15 seconds alternating under each shower about a dozen times each. I find it helps wake me up a bit and gets the blood pumping. I also wear black bike shorts when we're playing in our home strip, and white bike shorts when we play in our away strip.
Harts7
Harts7

Teams : Bloods, Power, Red Wings
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:59 am

Harts, I can remember an Under 19's (?) final at Unley just before you were drafted.  I think the half-time score was about 2 goals something each.  I think you finished up kicking plenty.

Do you remember that game and can you recall some of the players you played with or against in that era who went on to the AFL or are good SANFL players now?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Harts7 Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:01 am

Big Phil wrote:
Harts7 wrote:
Big Phil wrote:Harts, who lifts more?

You or Justin Hardy? Very Happy

Justin Hardy by a long way! 

Certainly helps when he's spent the past 18 months in the gym (due to knee problem). 

We've got a couple of younger fellas who are lifting some impressive numbers at the moment though. Mase Middleton, Tom Keough & Corey Solly have all started the 2015 campaign big and strong.

How is the big mans knee?

Will we see him out on the paddock in 2015?

He's still in the rehab group at the moment, hoping to have him back out on the track straight after Christmas. He'll be a huge inclusion for us in 2015 if we can get him up and running to somewhere near his 2012 form.
Harts7
Harts7

Back to top Go down

Post by Harts7 Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:39 am

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Fantastic work Harts.

And I agree, a small but conspicuous selection of the Double Blue "faithful" would be more at home at Taronga Zoo.

Anyway to my question. And this is perhaps a little hard to get a definitive perspective on. 

But I am curious as to the players opinions on how the rewards available to them across AFL, SANFL and Ammos/Country in proportion to the effort required is considered. Do you guys think that the current system is working well for you?

Many players would have had a crack at all 3 levels before they hang up the boots. So they would get a decent look at the effort/reward ratio.

Personally, I am of the view that the system is flawed and that particularly the AFL is not that interested in keeping or promoting a sustainable balance to this. But then I am not close to it. It just seems the sanfl is caught in the middle and a bit compromised by it.

Your call?

Great question Chambo.

I don't want to sound like I'm whinging at all, but I do think we are underpaid for the amount of time and effort we put in to our football. A lot of the fellas at Westies and in the SANFL work full-time or part-time as well as play footy, because we can't live off of just our football salaries. 

Don't get me wrong, I believe that the money earned by blokes on AFL lists, they deserve every cent because of how hard they work and the amount of revenue they attract. You do need to consider though that there are blokes running around at AFL level earning over a million dollars a season, we have 45 blokes in a squad at SANFL level (the next level down from AFL) and our combined salary is around $360k a season. We may not train at the intensity that the guys at AFL level do, but there's still a time commitment and work ethic required to be able to compete against quality opposition and full-time footballers in the Crows and Port reserves. SANFL clubs are now at the stage where we need to get better and we need the best players available playing in our teams each week. I can't help but think if SANFL clubs had more money to be able to afford a couple of full-time footballers, or pay players a better salary for their time and efforts, then the competition will go to a new level and be able to compete regularly against the likes of the Crows and Port reserves. 

I don't blame blokes with serious talent who don't make it on to an AFL list straight away, head out to the country or amateurs and chase money. I really admire blokes in our club who stick it out at reserves level all season, who start training 6 days a week from the start of November and earn match payments of $75 a week once games start. They could be training one or two nights a week at a local club, picking up minimum $400 cash a week after no pre-season. 

I think it does need to be addressed, otherwise we'll keep losing quality players to the country and amateurs and the SANFL will soon become a two-club town.
Harts7
Harts7

Back to top Go down

Post by Harts7 Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:48 am

Lee wrote:Harts, I can remember an Under 19's (?) final at Unley just before you were drafted.  I think the half-time score was about 2 goals something each.  I think you finished up kicking plenty.

Do you remember that game and can you recall some of the players you played with or against in that era who went on to the AFL or are good SANFL players now?

Yeah I do remember that game Lee! Back in the days where I could get a kick forward of centre.

I'd only had a handball up until half time playing at full-forward. Kicked 5 goals in the 3rd quarter, then had one kick in the last quarter.

Recently retired James McLeay was the full forward for Sturt that day. Can't remember who else was playing for them though?? And for the Bloods, I think we had Cameron Wood rucking for us, Scott Bricknell and Ben Fisher were running around for us at the time. Let me know if I've missed anyone Lee, have had a couple of concussions since then!
Harts7
Harts7

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:34 am

Harts7 wrote:
Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Fantastic work Harts.

Your call?

Great question Chambo.

I don't want to sound like I'm whinging at all, but I do think we are underpaid for the amount of time and effort we put in to our football. A lot of the fellas at Westies and in the SANFL work full-time or part-time as well as play footy, because we can't live off of just our football salaries. 

Don't get me wrong, I believe that the money earned by blokes on AFL lists, they deserve every cent because of how hard they work and the amount of revenue they attract. You do need to consider though that there are blokes running around at AFL level earning over a million dollars a season, we have 45 blokes in a squad at SANFL level (the next level down from AFL) and our combined salary is around $360k a season. We may not train at the intensity that the guys at AFL level do, but there's still a time commitment and work ethic required to be able to compete against quality opposition and full-time footballers in the Crows and Port reserves. SANFL clubs are now at the stage where we need to get better and we need the best players available playing in our teams each week. I can't help but think if SANFL clubs had more money to be able to afford a couple of full-time footballers, or pay players a better salary for their time and efforts, then the competition will go to a new level and be able to compete regularly against the likes of the Crows and Port reserves. 

I don't blame blokes with serious talent who don't make it on to an AFL list straight away, head out to the country or amateurs and chase money. I really admire blokes in our club who stick it out at reserves level all season, who start training 6 days a week from the start of November and earn match payments of $75 a week once games start. They could be training one or two nights a week at a local club, picking up minimum $400 cash a week after no pre-season. 

I think it does need to be addressed, otherwise we'll keep losing quality players to the country and amateurs and the SANFL will soon become a two-club town.
Could not agree more with that outlook Adam. Those that are close enough to a SANFL club completely understand the sacrifice and dedication SANFL players make, and that sadly it isn't matched in monetary terms, in equal measure (and whilst blokes like yourself might not play for my club, I'm appreciative for you and every other player in the competition that makes the sacrifice) . Would love to see the day where the cap could reach say $500k (initially) but sadly there's not enough interest in that eventuating outside SANFL circles, and not enough coming from the governing body to allow it to happen. Meaning it's up to each of the clubs to somehow, find a way to healthier bank balances, which doesn't look achievable in the immediate future.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:11 pm

Yes, the problem is that many SANFL clubs can't afford the current salary cap.

If it increased, many clubs wouldn't be able to spend it and we go down the track of the English Premier League.

It's either a completely different outlook by the SANFL and the clubs, or more likely a reduced salary cap, I'd guess.

I also agree completely with Adam about the sacrifices current players make.  It's not only training, there are a lot of other compulsory attendances required at all sorts of other functions.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:47 pm

Most of my questions have been asked. Thanks for all the replies, it is awesome to get a players perspective.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:33 pm

IAdam is a great lad, one of my all time Westies favourites. Too bad his brother plays for that horrible team. Wink

Best coach?
How many years have you got left?
Do you love your hair or your missus more?
Is Dits a pain in the ass in the change rooms?

Last edited by brodlach on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:37 pm

Well done Harts for answering all these question I think he is a legend.
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:11 pm

brodlach wrote:Is Dits a pain in the ass in the change rooms?

Do we really want an answer to that one??  Laughing
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Harts7 Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:40 am

brodlach wrote:IAdam is a great lad, one of my all time Westies favourites. Too bad his brother plays for that horrible team. Wink

Best coach?

Thanks for the kind words Brodlach!

Best coach - Tough question to answer, have had some really great coaches throughout all grades of footy. I had a few standout junior coaches that were great for my development going through the grades. Wayne Wild at Edwardstown Football Club, Peter Simmons during my junior days at Westies and Anthony Goodrich from Sacred Heart were all very influential. Then I've had Denis Pagan and David Teague coach me during my time in Melbourne who I thoroughly enjoyed playing under, and Andy Collins who stood by me whilst I went off the rails a bit on my return from Melbourne and helped get me back on track.

Haha I have to say my missus at the moment, the hair isn't really doing it for me right now.

Dits and all the boys in the property room at Westies are great! They do a fantastic job for us, and like most property stewards in the SANFL are volunteers who we'd be lost without. I love giving them all a bit of stick as I arrive for each session, then copping it in return from the lot of them. I'm known as "Princess" by the troops down there.
Harts7
Harts7

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:41 am

Lee wrote:Yes, the problem is that many SANFL clubs can't afford the current salary cap.

If it increased, many clubs wouldn't be able to spend it and we go down the track of the English Premier League.

It's either a completely different outlook by the SANFL and the clubs, or more likely a reduced salary cap, I'd guess.

I also agree completely with Adam about the sacrifices current players make.  It's not only training, there are a lot of other compulsory attendances required at all sorts of other functions.

I would like to plot a graph of 

AFL, SANFL, Country League players (Rookie, Average Player, Elite Player)
against  Salary and average Hours training.

I think based on averages for the categories, it would show just how anomalous the system is.
It would certainly support Hart's view I think.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:43 am

Harts7 wrote:
brodlach wrote:IAdam is a great lad, one of my all time Westies favourites. Too bad his brother plays for that horrible team. Wink

Best coach?

Thanks for the kind words Brodlach!

Best coach - Tough question to answer, have had some really great coaches throughout all grades of footy. I had a few standout junior coaches that were great for my development going through the grades. Wayne Wild at Edwardstown Football Club, Peter Simmons during my junior days at Westies and Anthony Goodrich from Sacred Heart were all very influential. Then I've had Denis Pagan and David Teague coach me during my time in Melbourne who I thoroughly enjoyed playing under, and Andy Collins who stood by me whilst I went off the rails a bit on my return from Melbourne and helped get me back on track.

Haha I have to say my missus at the moment, the hair isn't really doing it for me right now.

Dits and all the boys in the property room at Westies are great! They do a fantastic job for us, and like most property stewards in the SANFL are volunteers who we'd be lost without. I love giving them all a bit of stick as I arrive for each session, then copping it in return from the lot of them. I'm known as "Princess" by the troops down there.

Well you did go to Sacred Heart!  Very Happy
Sorry couldn't resist.

They were and are always one of my old school's (St Micks) biggest rivals.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by The Hatchet Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:20 am

hi harts,

if you could change two rules in the sanfl on-field, what would they be? what is the one change off-field you would make if able?
The Hatchet
The Hatchet

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:27 am

There's one question I'd like to ask but it's probably difficult to answer honestly, and that is what is your view of the standard of SANFL umpiring? Perhaps it's easier if I ask: on a scale of one to ten, what is your frustration level with the standard of SANFL umpiring?
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Harts7 Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:46 am

The Hatchet wrote:hi harts,

if you could change two rules in the sanfl on-field, what would they be? what is the one change off-field you would make if able?

The only rule I really dislike in our game is the sliding rule where a guy whose sole objective is to win the footy, can be penalised for making contact to an opponents lower leg. Players have forged careers by crashing in and being first to the footy, but because there was one freak accident where Sydney Swans footballer, Gary Rohan, had his leg broken, the AFL and other codes over-reacted and brought this rule in.

There's not too much I'd like to see changed off field, other than the salary cap that I think needs to be increased. As I've stated before, this will enable clubs to attract quality players to then compete against full-time footballers (Port & Crows reserves).
Harts7
Harts7

Back to top Go down

Post by Harts7 Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:59 am

Flag No.9 wrote:There's one question I'd like to ask but it's probably difficult to answer honestly, and that is what is your view of the standard of SANFL umpiring? Perhaps it's easier if I ask: on a scale of one to ten, what is your frustration level with the standard of SANFL umpiring?

It's funny, I was only thinking of an incident from 2013 when I was playing out at North Adelaide, just the other day. I had possession of the football kicking out after a Roosters behind. I kicked the ball to myself, ran a few steps, then kicked it long to a pack. Aided by a breeze the ball cleared the pack, bounced a few times and rolled out of bounds. The field umpire called it out on the full. I argued my case that I had played on to myself prior to kicking it, therefore it couldn't be out on the full. The umpire said it didn't matter. Finally the boundary umpire intervened and told the field umpire that it was just a throw in.

Of course, mistakes are going to be made, but there is a lot of inconsistency from week-to-week that leaves players scratching our heads during and post games.

Umpires do have an incredibly difficult job, no doubting that, and we wouldn't be able to play without them. But they should be there to keep the game running smoothly, not to control/influence games. I believe some umpires need to put their egos aside if a decision of theirs is questioned.

Last edited by Harts7 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harts7
Harts7

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:58 am

Harts7 wrote:
The Hatchet wrote:hi harts,

The only rule I really dislike in our game is the sliding rule where a guy whose sole objective is to win the footy, can be penalised for making contact to an opponents lower leg. Players have forged careers by crashing in and being first to the footy, but because there was one freak accident where Sydney Swans footballer, Gary Rohan, had his leg broken, the AFL and other codes over-reacted and brought this rule in.

There's not too much I'd like to see changed off field, other than the salary cap that I think needs to be increased. As I've stated before, this will enable clubs to attract quality players to then compete against full-time footballers (Port & Crows reserves).  

Yes it is a dumb rule.
Would have put blokes like Gary McIntosh out of the game.
Essentially it alters the complete fabric of what footy is about. IE Winning the ball first.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:25 pm

Harts,

What is your most memorable game, at any level, and why?

Cheers,

BP
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Harts7 Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:10 pm

Big Phil wrote:Harts,

What is your most memorable game, at any level, and why?

Cheers,

BP

I really enjoyed winning the U19 premiership for West Adelaide in 2004.

Debut for Carlton against the Crows in 2007.

Round 1 v Richmond in 2008, Thursday night at the MCG in front of over 80,000.

First game for Westies league side in 2010, under lights against the Roosters in front of 8500 spectators.

2012 Grand Final v Norwood, even though we got touched up.
Harts7
Harts7

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:19 pm

This is great reading Harts, thanks so much.

Can you tell us how aware you and the rest of the players are of the history of the club? i.e. when we won Premierships, who our past champions are etc? Is there any documentation or information session given to new arrivals to the club to acquaint them with this stuff? (Some of us think it's important, and that it can help current players if they see they are a continuation of a long line of events.)
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks Harts, great insight...

Next question...

Was that your little buzz boxwork car I parked next to a Thebby Oval last Friday night, down in the Southern Western pocket, near your change rooms?

If so, do your legs fit in? Wink
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next