sanflman
bayman
Scrunch
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Admin
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Get a Commentator's View -Ask Chris Kendall Empty Get a Commentator's View -Ask Chris Kendall

Post by Admin Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:54 pm

OK, fire away with any questions about being in the media, with CK responding.

To start, Chris, how much homework is required for calling dufferent teams each week?

Do all commentators use binoculars?

What are facilities like at each ground?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Get a Commentator's View -Ask Chris Kendall Empty Re: Get a Commentator's View -Ask Chris Kendall

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Admin wrote:

Does this imply sometimes they use "The Force"? Very Happy

Come to think of it CK looks a bit like Obi Wan Kinobi, just with a bit more hair.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Get a Commentator's View -Ask Chris Kendall Empty Re: Get a Commentator's View -Ask Chris Kendall

Post by C.K Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:15 pm

Admin wrote:OK, fire away with any questions about being in the media, with CK responding.

To start, Chris, how much homework is required for calling dufferent teams each week?

What are facilities like at each ground?

Thanks for the opportunity, happy to answer any questions that may arise and be of interest to SANFL followers.

1)Before calling a match, I would undertake around 4 hours research. For the last few years, I have kept a large book (those fellow callers would be familiar with my yearly Commentary Bibles) with match stats for each game, for all players, plus their heights, weights, Guernsey numbers, original suburban/country club etc etc. These always come to each game and form the basis of notes for each player in a game that can be referred to quickly as a point of interest during play.

For example, last season I noted that Port's Karl Amon had played each match until about round 11 without receiving a free kick, so quirky stats like that can be handy reference points during play. Conversely, it can also be handy to note that Player A has averaged 24 disposals against their opposing team in the last 4 years, or that Player B has not taken a contested mark for the last 6 weeks. There are always notes on each player and while these may not be used in a game, it is always handy to know they are there for when the situation arises.

If I haven't seen a particular team for a few weeks, I also watch back on vision from recent past games to see if players have changed their hair style/using a new taping style/different coloured boots etc, which can all help give that edge during pack situations and the like. I try to get to training sessions also to see newer players to the SANFL to see their playing style, preferred side of body, as well as pre-season games and will also get to trials to see the newer players. Watching VFL/WAFL vision is also helpful here.

2) I can't speak for other commentators, but would never call a match without binoculars. At Noarlunga, for example, when the play is in the north-east (Colonnades) pocket, that is around 150m from the commentary position in the south-west pocket, so it is just not possible to accurately pick up players from that distance without them. That said, binoculars are always the first thing I pack for a match, and are a prerequisite at any game, whether it be day, night, fine, raining etc. Otherwise, you are left guessing who a player may be in a pack situation at distance.

3) Facilities are generally very good at all grounds. Most commentary boxes, Noarlunga excepted, are located at centre wing in the grandstand, giving a good view of all parts of the ground, and all are at the top of the stand, except Glenelg and Unley, which are in the front row of the stand. At some grounds (Prospect in particular comes to mind), some generous fans bake cakes, slices etc for the commentary teams, which goes some way to explaining weight fluctuations during the season Smile . I really can't fault the facilities overall at any grounds. A couple can be a little snug at times with space, but there is always enough room to move and set up equipment.

Last edited by C.K on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:18 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:
Admin wrote:

Does this imply sometimes they use "The Force"? Very Happy

Come to think of it CK looks a bit like Obi Wan Kinobi, just with a bit more hair.

To be compared in any way to Sir Alec Guinness is very humbling Wink , Thanks Chambo
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi Chris,

How many free Pies do you blokes get at games, and is there enough area provided for you chaps given there is often a bit of girth involved?
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:00 pm

Scrunch wrote:Hi Chris,

How many free Pies do you blokes get at games, and is there enough area provided for you chaps given there is often a bit of girth involved?

Hi Scrunch,

Can t say I've seen too many free pies over the years and if they did arrive, to slightly misquote Bill Clinton, I'd try not to imbibe Smile
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:45 pm

Chris, what differences are there between radio and TV work?

Then, between calling and boundary riding?

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:18 pm

Lee wrote:Chris, what differences are there between radio and TV work?

Then, between calling and boundary riding?

Hi Lee,

When I first started in radio, a highly revered commentator gave me one of the best pieces of advice for calling on radio. "Pretend you are calling for a blind man who has never seen the players". In other words, tell the listener:

- Who has the ball, where is the ball, what has just happened with it and where is it going next.
- How the above happened (without impeding upon your Special Comments person, who, as an ex-player, is better placed to explain the why/), what the score is and at what stage of the game.

As best as can be done in time constraints between passages of play and without interrupting your co-callers or boundary rider. Maintaining etiquette between your co-callers is vital, as the day is a team effort and no single person should dominate. The average listener, however, should expect to tune in and hear a score, margin and time in the quarter within a minute of doing so, and this is a rule I work hard at sticking to, out of courtesy for the listener.

Much of the above two points can be eliminated in TV - as the viewer can SEE all of that for themselves, so the calling style is much less descriptive (eg, not "Suckling takes it at left half back, grandstand side, 40 metres from defensive goal, going inboard to centre half back") and much more looking toward what is unfolding up the field (eg. "Schmidt works it to Fielke, Hartlett coming out on the lead from the square") to prepare the viewer for what is looking to unfold ahead so when the ball does move toward the square, and is ready to see the big mark, or the ball coming off hands to the pack etc.

It's also about knowing when to let the vision or sound do the talking. Not every moment in a game needs a commentator talking over it. The roar from the crowd when the siren goes in a grand final; the huge hanger taken in the goalsquare; the debutant getting instruction from the coach - some of this is much better simply seen and heard without another voice over the top.

Boundary Riding is different again, in that it is about giving viewers more information about things they may have only seen quickly (an injury, an nterchange, a coaching instruction to a player) and want to find out more from, as well as giving information from things that are not immediately seen on-screen and may be happening while the cameras are focusing on the play. Injuries, in particular, are a primary aspect of this. The viewer may see the player hit the deck and be taken from the field, but not know if it is a brief knock, or something more serious that may mean they cannot return to the game.

Much of the role is about explaining what the viewer cannot see or hear as easily (particularly huddle reports from coaches - on TV, not all information at huddles can be transmitted live to the viewer due to language, maintaining tactical confidentiality to a degree) and the boundary rider acts very much as the interpreter between the game and the viewer, to fill in the blanks of that quick collision/rotation/instruction.

This role, however, is very much about ensuring that certain things still remain "less transparent" for the sake of the contest. There were many times I would see something on a whiteboard, or hear a specific instruction to a player, and would choose not to communicate that to the audience out of respect to the club, who may want to keep tactical information/moves less open until the game restarts. Much of the role is about maintaining the respect for the clubs/coaches/players and I feel that this was mutually appreciated.

It is also very much about knowing when not to be interrupting a situation and leaving a coach to do their job without a microphone in their face, or letting trainers treat a badly injured player without a boundary rider in close proximity. The latter, in particular, is very important to remember - as the player's family/partner/friends are watching the game and are concerned for their welfare. Giving the initial report is vital for filling that gap and clarifying what has happened. Referring to it constantly, or showing the vision time and time and time again, doesn't help the family/partner watching from home, I believe.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:28 pm

Chris,
when reporting back at either 1/4 time or 3/4 time & you haven't heard it clearly or missed it for whatever reason do you just go from experience & say  something along the lines of ''he's just asked for a full 30 minute effort'' or ask one of the assistant coaches what the main message was ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:54 pm

Hi Bayman

I would usually go twice to each huddle at the breaks to get a good overview of the messages from the senior coach, the assistants and the leadership group. It also comes down to knowing the broad style of each coach (some like to quickly address the group at the start, then hand over to leadership groups before delivering the concluding messages) and working accordingly between the clubs. If in doubt though, certainly would seek clarification rather than guessing.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:00 pm

thanks Chris
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by sanflman Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:53 pm

Chris, really appreciate someone like you doing this. I have three questions; 1. How did you see year 1 of the ch 7 broadcast 2. Where do you see the future of SANFL broadcasting amd 3. The future of the SANFL competition.
sanflman
sanflman

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:49 am

Chris,
Did you or have you had any formal media training?
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:45 am

sanflman wrote:Chris, really appreciate someone like you doing this. I have three questions; 1. How did you see year 1 of the ch 7 broadcast 2. Where do you see the future of SANFL broadcasting amd 3. The future of the SANFL competition.

Hi sanflman,

1) Its always challenging when there is a change after many years, but Channel 7 were off to a positive start with a number of production staff who had spent considerable time with the ABC coverage as well as many other sporting events, and a commentary team with over 400 games of SANFL between them. There were always going to be differences between the styles of the two stations, but it would have been a benefit for clubs to be able to present more information about their sponsors on a commercial network, unlike with ABC. The SANFL really needs a long term broadcaster to present the product to those who are unable to attend games, or who wish to watch from home, and Channel 7 have certainly taken up this with great enthusiasm.
When looking back at the past, the nostalgic side of us can tend to forget that there were negatives with the old also, and it can lead to comparisons that the new is not always better. Ultimately, the re-emergence of SANFL on commercial television can only be a positive for the competition.

2) Broadcasting has evolved enormously in the time that I have been involved in SANFL media. When I first started, there were up to three radio stations calling games on a weekly basis, one television station televising one game a week, plus more visibility in mainstream media. We now have two stations - 5RPH and Life FM - each week, Channel 7 maintaining one game per round, and the first steps last season toward undertaking live streaming (vision and sound) of some matches not covered on radio.
Match scheduling can now mean that there are up to two games a round not covered on either radio or television and for the fans of the affected clubs, it makes it very hard for them to keep up with match progress. The SANFL website does an excellent job in providing live score and statistical updates of all matches in a round, so there are always methods of keeping an eye on things that were not available when I started. In those days, a production outlet (Pine Lodge Studios) would produce DVD's of all matches for sale for fans, with either radio streamed commentary or in-house commentary provided specifically for the outlet. This is no longer as commercially viable, unfortunately.

For fans who are elderly, driving around on match day and not near a computer, or with less up-to-date internet plans, radio forms a vital part of their ability to follow their club in live time, and hopefully there will always be a strong presence on radio of SANFL. As methods evolve, however, live streaming is certainly something that could progress further as a visual medium of supporting television and radio.

3) I was fortunate enough to grow up in the golden era of SANFL, all matches played on a Saturday, all covered on radio, and then coming home from the match to watch KG's Football Show on Nine and then The Big Replay of a different match. Sadly, these days are gone and will not return and that is something that all fans have to accept. Commercial pressures, particularly on sponsorship dollars for clubs, is making it more and more competitive for clubs to source the costs of running a football club, particularly with the challenge of falling attendance numbers reducing the exposure for these sponsors (signage etc) to fans - "bang for buck", as well as maintaining membership numbers as revenue streams (which then flows through to members spending money on catering, bar etc at games). The captive audience for SANFL is falling overall and I do wonder whether the market will continue to spread more and more thin over the medium term, particularly with demographics of some clubs trending toward older, with less new members coming in at the opposite end.

I suspect that the SANFL will not comprise 10 clubs within 20 years due to the above.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:57 am

Booney wrote:Chris,
Did you or have you had any formal media training?

Since I began in the media, I have always sought the advice, feedback and counsel of a number of trusted, experienced mentors in broadcasting (both general broadcasting and sports specifically), who have watched/listened to my work (both live and recorded) and provided feedback at length, pointers on where to focus on etc. Working with experienced broadcasters such as Dennis Browne and Darryl Smith (5RPH), Neil Cross, Michael Maney and the dearly departed Ian Mogridge (ABC), among many others, has been vital for me over the years in learning so much about broadcasting and working in the media.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:49 am

Chris, over the last 5 years or so, who would be the outstanding player from each club you've watched?

Which were the players you most enjoyed watching?

As a Norwood supporter, was your after-game GF presentation gig the personal highlight of your career?

You write for the SANFL and Sportsbeat. Do you enjoy that and do you get much feedback from readers?

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:30 am

Hi Chris,

Who are your favourite commentators?

At what age/stage of life did you realise you had an interest in commentating?

Knowing you have also called NBL and Netball, which is your favourite sport to call?

Is there any other sport (ie, horse racing) that you would like to have a crack at?
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:23 pm

Lee wrote:Chris, over the last 5 years or so, who would be the outstanding player from each club you've watched?

As a Norwood supporter, was your after-game GF presentation gig the personal highlight of your career?

You write for the SANFL and Sportsbeat.  Do you enjoy that and do you get much feedback from readers?

Hi Lee,

Very tough first question in there. There are many that have been fantastic over the years, although realistically, any player good enough to make SANFL has done really well just to achieve that. From each club, though, those that come to mind:

Central - Really had to go past the team impact that the Gowans twins had at the club for such a long period. Both playing slightly different styles and having different strengths made them so hard to match up on and there is no question that their spirit and drive has been very, very hard to replace at Elizabeth.

Glenelg - Ty Allen was a massive influence at the Bay for so long and to see how he lifted the team constantly, with such great work in the clearances and under the packs, was great to watch.

North Adelaide - I realize that he can polarise people, but I've never had doubt that James Allan has been one of the outstanding players in our era. There have been question marks raised at times over the quality of disposal - which I don't share - but any player that can gather it 30+ times (with a much higher rate of contested possession than many realise) and use it well must be respected. There has been the constant speculation over whether he should have won three Magarey Medals, and comparison with other Medallists, but a player can only beat who is there on the day, not those in the past and he was unlucky not to win a fourth.

Norwood - For sheer versatility in such a variety of roles, Brett Zorzi. Remember that he came to Norwood as a centreman before being thrust to a key defensive role for some years, and then going back into the midfield under a new coaching regime, he maintained a massive standard over a long career that was very hard to beat. Not many win a Jack Oatey Medal in their final match as testament to their longevity and class.

Port - Not so much over the last 5 years, but over my time in commentary, Jeremy Clayton set a very high standard that was not matched at Alberton over his time. Winning so much contested footy, and then finishing off in attack as his career wound down, he was one of their keys for a long time and one of the best I've ever seen at Alberton.

South Adelaide - Nick Liddle has never dropped his standard since arriving at Noarlunga, and I was always amazed his first season wasn't more recognized by the umpires than it was (he nearly pinched a Magarey in his second season, indicating the men in white had well and truly noticed him). A real key around the ball and plays a lot taller than his size, his clearance work and possession rate has never waned, no matter where South have been on the ladder at the time.

Sturt - Always been an even team effort there, but I think the impact of Tristan Gum was really noted in the first year he was not there. Able to push forward, work around the middle or off half back, he just rarely wasted a touch and was also very strong in the contested marking and had strong endurance.

West Adelaide - Can't go past Ryan Ferguson, he was outstanding from beginning to end, both in leadership, impact on a game and ability to play at both ends of the ground when needed. His athleticism was something that has proven very hard to replace at West, as has been his ability to turn a game with an inspirational act.

Woodville/West Torrens - Mark McKenzie. Bit surprising he didn't get more of a look-in at AFL level, given he could push into a number of roles, was very hard to catch either in space or in a contested situation, and such clean disposal. Another whose leadership was very hard to replicate, although Luke Powell stepped straight into that.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:55 pm

Lee wrote:

Central - always had a heap of time for both Scott Dutschke and Ryan Williams, and think the Bulldogs will really miss both of them much more than many realize. The way both put their bodies on the line so many times to take a hit for the team, then win their own footy and particularly in Williams's case, work them forward with penetrating disposal, always made both a pleasure to call. From past eras, while he wasn't at the Bulldogs that long, I saw Derek Kickett do things on the field that I haven't seen before or since on such a consistent basis.

Glenelg - Was fortunate enough to see much of Stephen Kernahan's career through being a 70's child and it's hard to explain to people who never saw him as a younger player at Glenelg just how good and dominant a player he was from such a young age. Holding down CHF in a tough era, as well as pinch hitting in ruck, I was also 12 rows back behind the northern goals at Football Park in 1984 for the legendary State Of Origin match against Victoria and that night remains the premier individual performance I've seen in state football, kicking 10 goals in a losing team.

North Adelaide - Andrew Jarman really was one of a kind for the style he played - arguably his brother Darren was better in goalkicking and certainly disposal by foot - and not many win Magareys 10 years apart and at different clubs, illustrating how strongly he was able to maintain the standard.

Norwood - really hard to split a couple here - Michael Aish was just sublime and I was lucky enough to play as his direct opponent in country football after his SANFL career ended - but Garry McIntosh was just brilliant with winning contested football, working at the bottoms of packs and then working to the next contest so quickly. To rebuff interstate advances at a time when so many left the SANFL to head to the VFL, was further testament to his football character.

Port - Not sure how many will remember him, but a few years back, Luke Saunders played a couple of seasons at Port and his courage, and workrate was just immense and I loved calling him a number of times. Josh Thurgood is another that I don't think received the plaudits he deserved for such courage and contested marking. Of eras further back in time, Tim Ginever was irrepressible in full flight and also maintained a very high standard for a very long time.

South - In his first stint at South, fellow commentators noted that I adopted Brent Macleod as a favorite, particularly for his work in contested situations and then finding space to use the ball well. When he returned last season, he had improved even further and was a massive key to South's rise up the ladder. In the past, always had great admiration for Stuart Palmer, whose cool head and work to find space in defence was very underrated for many years.

Sturt - While he only arrived there last season, Zane Kirkwood was a story I had followed since being a Port junior. At the time he made his league debut, I was working for a AFL club in a scouting capacity for yearly drafts, and tracked him very closely to put forward for the draft. The club I was working for felt he was too small and too slow to make it in AFL, so it was great to watch him win a Magarey Medal last season to attest to his ability. I was also lucky enough to see a great deal of Peter Motley's Sturt career and old TV vision doesn't do justice to just how good he was, how dominant he was in the air and the speed of his reaction time, not to mention his finishing ability. It remains one of the great football tragedies that we never had the chance to see him at his best.

West Adelaide - Would probably still find it hard to go past Ryan Ferguson again, although have always had a great appreciation for how Chris Schmidt goes about things, both in leadership and ability to cover ground quickly to the next contest. Before being terribly and shamefully injured in a very doubtful on-field incident, Roger Luders was brilliant and he simply didn't return the same footballer after that.

West Torrens - I didn't have many posters from opposition clubs on my wall growing up, but Lee Robson's was. Unconventional, and looked anything but a footballer, the way he held down a key defensive role for so long at such a high standard, deservedly winning a state jumper, was outstanding. It was somewhat surreal a few years back calling his nephew, Judd, in league football - one of the first times I felt my age in commentary.

Woodville - Growing up in the western suburbs, I lived only a 10 minute bike ride from Woodville Oval, so a number of times from 1983 - 1985, would saddle up to follow Malcolm Blight from end to end, even when not playing Norwood. It has to be remembered that when he kicked 126 goals in 1985, he was 35 years old and could easily have gone another season. To see him at close range, and watch someone think an opponent out of the ball, win it himself and in a blind turn, snap a goal from 40m out, was sublime. One of the best I've ever seen, anywhere, anytime.

C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:07 pm

Lee wrote:

You write for the SANFL and Sportsbeat.  Do you enjoy that and do you get much feedback from readers?

- It was certainly very high up there. I was aware at the time that it was also highly likely to be the last SANFL match ABC-TV would present, so to be part of farewelling both ABC-TV AND Football Park from SANFL involvement was a major moment in my time. I was born the year before Football Park opened, so all I knew as a SANFL fan was playing there, not Adelaide Oval, so it was essentially the only SANFL headquarters I knew and felt a special affinity with it. ABC-TV was also a massive part of my life for the seven years I spent with them and it has also played a major role in SANFL for over 20 years so it was extremely humbling to play any type of role in that. It was also very special to be on the dias with Mr Max Basheer for his final SANFL role at the ground that himself and Don Brebner played such a massive role in forming.

To be able to MC the Grand Final as a lifelong Norwood fan made it all the more special and assisting with the presentations was a day I will never forget.

- Absolutely. I have been with Sportsbeat for 9 years now and they have always been a fantastic organization to work with, whoever the owners are at the time and whoever the editorial team is. They have always given me creative freedom and licence to write as I wish and to state opinions and thoughts with the liberty to do so. 2014 was my first year writing for the SANFL and it has been a great privilege to put something back into a league that has meant so much over so long for me.

Fans regularly give me ideas for articles (writing 25 opinion pieces per year for 9 years has meant having to find over 200 different things to write about over the journey and the fans are excellent with their ideas) and tend to note how I do in the weekly tips very quickly if I tip less than half the winners!
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:22 pm

Scrunch wrote:Hi Chris,

Who are your favourite commentators?

At what age/stage of life did you realise you had an interest in commentating?

Knowing you have also called NBL and Netball, which is your favourite sport to call?

Is there any other sport (ie, horse racing) that you would like to have a crack at?

Hi Scrunch,

Another very tough first question. If watching AFL, I always enjoy listening to Anthony Hudson. He calls the game matter of fact, accurately, with excitement when it needs it but without manufacturing it when it's not there and has a real feel for the game that shines through. Michael Christian and Brenton Yates are two other AFL radio callers that are very easy to listen to for the same reasons above.

I was fortunate enough to call two SANFL games with Roger Wills and the way he called sport was just a pleasure to work with. The real feel for football and for the listener also, painting the visual picture perfectly, was an excellent learning curve for me early on in my broadcasting time. Probably the first commentator that I really took notice of on TV was Peter Marker, and I'm not sure younger fans really appreciate just how good he was as a former player moving into commentary. Some have found the transition difficult, but he set a very, very high standard for a long, long time.

- Very early on. SANFL was part of my house from birth so the radio was always tuned to 5AD, 5DN or 5AA whether it be a Norwood match, or one involving any of the other nine clubs. I found the idea of broadcasting fascinating from a very young age, growing up with Ian Day, Rick Keegan, Rod McLeod, Brian Lees, Dennis Browne and many others was something I looked forward to every Saturday. I decided very early on that I wanted to call SANFL at some point in my life, much more than I wanted to call VFL. When I called my first game on radio, at Adelaide Oval in 2006, it was very surreal to have DB alongside me as the co-commentator, as he was the man I had listened to growing up all my life so to be working with him in that position was brilliant.

- I've not actually called netball, Scrunch, but yes, have called NBL which, being a hard-core NBL fan since childhood, was also a great experience. Calling that first match in one of the physically most humid environments possible - Cairns in January, where humidity is over 90% all day and night - was challenging, but highly enjoyable. I'd love to call more NBL as opportunities permit.
If the opportunity arose, I'd love to call athletics, but Terry McAuliffe does such a fantastic job at that, the chance may not come up for a while. I've always had an interest in calling greyhound racing if the chance was there, and most certainly, the Spring Carnival would be a pinnacle for most callers.
That said, any passionate sports broadcaster will tell you that there would be butterflies of excitement at calling a Strathalbyn greyhound meeting, or the Melbourne Cup. Being in the position to broadcast sport at any level is a wonderful privilege, no matter what level.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:00 am

Hey CK,

What's your most memorable call of an SANFL game?
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:00 pm

Big Phil wrote:Hey CK,

What's your most memorable call of an SANFL game?

Hi Phil,

Good question, certainly have been a few. First match I called anywhere sticks in the mind, Port v West at Alberton in 2005. Sitting atop older scaffolding next to the Quinn Stand on a windy day was an eventful introduction to commentary! As mentioned before, calling my first match on radio with Dennis Browne and Phil Herden at Adelaide Oval in 2006 was both exciting and surreal, as was the first time I called play-by-play on ABC-TV, W/WT v Glenelg in 2008 - each of those matches had some special moments that really stick in the mind.

A drawn night game at Noarlunga between South and Glenelg certainly comes to mind as being a thriller throughout, particularly with the final quarter ticking past 32 minutes and us not being aware how far away the siren was. Last year's first Grand Final at Adelaide Oval since 1973 was a fantastic match to call, particularly being such a tight game throughout in front of a crowd that rode the match hard throughout.

Looking back over things, there have been some fantastic games I've been fortunate enough to be involved in, and lucky enough to call some of the bigger marks of the last few years (Kieran McGuinness's great grab last season at the Parade; Taite Silverlock's mark of the year at Richmond v Glenelg in 2013; Brett Ebert's huge hanger in front of the grandstand at that same ground in 2012 among others), but realistically, a commentary call is what the caller makes it. It shouldn't matter if it is the grand final or a wet, drizzly night game between 9th and 10th,; there are always listeners taking the time to tune in to find out how their team is going and they deserve the same effort and interest from the caller no matter what.

Last edited by C.K on Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:45 pm

Chris, one of my pet hates about sporting commentary is when the commentators make themselves bigger than the game and waste time on personal stories, 'in-house' jokes and the like.

Fortunately I don't think it happens much on SANFL radio and TV, but it's really annoying to those who want to hear the game.

Your last sentence should be required reading for some of our current TV commentators, football and cricket, at a higher level.

In radio commentary on footy, it seems very common for callers to get the result of a kick for goal incorrect. We often hear "Looks a great kick, brings up a goal,....oh, looks like it just missed".

Again, not so frequent at SANFL level, but do you pause, or have a technique for getting this right?

Also, do you think you can always recognise when your natural bias intrudes, if it ever does?

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:03 pm

Lee wrote:Chris, one of my pet hates about sporting commentary is when the commentators make themselves bigger than the game and waste time on personal stories, 'in-house' jokes and the like.

Fortunately I don't think it happens much on SANFL radio and TV, but it's really annoying to those who want to hear the game.

Your last sentence should be required reading for some of our current TV commentators, football and cricket, at a higher level.

In radio commentary on footy, it seems very common for callers to get the result of a kick for goal incorrect. We often hear "Looks a great kick, brings up a goal,....oh, looks like it just missed".

Again, not so frequent at SANFL level, but do you pause, or have a technique for getting this right?

Also, do you think you can always recognise when your natural bias intrudes, if it ever does?

1) The simplest technique is to wait that extra second, and human nature dictates that, at times, we all are guilty of what I term in commentary as "premature evaluation". There is not a commentator around that has not made an incorrect call at some point, but just taking that split second extra to wait for the breeze; for the player to turn if unsure; to let the ball hit the pack first, can reduce those times of getting it wrong through being too early.

2) In all my time of calling, I have worked with only one commentator who genuinely did not have any allegiance at all - either as a former player/coach of a SANFL club, or as a fan - to any SANFL team (names not necessary), so it is reasonable to think that most commentators have an allegiance of sorts. The audience, however, should not ever know that if they are not already aware. It is no secret that I have been a passionate Norwood man, third generation, being at every Norwood Grand Final of the modern era, but on match day, that is simply put away and the game is between two neutral teams. At times, it can be possible to be a bit TOO critical of your team through having that degree of attachment to them, but that is really all about self-discipline and keeping those feelings in the back pocket at all times.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next