Season Previews - Courtesy of Chris Kendall and "Sportsbeat'

3 posters

Go down

Season Previews - Courtesy of Chris Kendall and "Sportsbeat' Empty Season Previews - Courtesy of Chris Kendall and "Sportsbeat'

Post by Lee Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:03 am

First Instalment

2015 SANFL TEAM PREVIEWS – PART ONE

By Chris Kendall

Central District:

INS: Jackson O’Brien, Tim Meulendyks (returning), Connor Hargraves (Yarrawonga), Chris Jensen (Belconnen), Tom Stevens (Echuca), Nick Gallard, Shane Walker (Renmark), Jesse Kemp (Kimba), Cohen Pettit (West Broken Hill)

OUTS: Josh Glenn (Gold Coast), Johann Wagner (Port Adelaide), Ben Nason (Glenelg), Ryan Williams (VFL), Brad Symes, Scott Dutschke, Cameron Milne (retired)

Missing the finals in 2014, for the first time in Roy Laird’s golden reign, will sting the Bulldogs over the summer and give the playing group plenty of fire in the belly to return to major round action. There is no question, however, that the departures will hurt the group, with plenty of experience leaving the kennel, and this may be most felt in tight finishes in 2015.
Plenty of hunger among the incoming talent, however, with a number of country recruits keen to showcase their wares at league level and a combination of this, and the remaining players from the premiership years will drive Central hard. Whether they have enough different options in attack, however, remains to be seen, although Bryce Retzlaff was a menacing target for much of 2014. No doubting the passion at Elizabeth, but they look set to finish around the same as last year’s seventh.

2015 PREDICTION: 7th

Glenelg:

INS: Christian Howard (returns – Western Bulldogs), Terry Milera (St Kilda), Ben Nason (Central District), Jake Johansen (Port Magpies), Jarrhan Jacky (Subiaco), Willie Rioli (NT Thunder)

OUTS: Alex Neal-Bullen, Billy Stretch (Melbourne), Cory Gregson (Geelong), Nathan Stark (Sturt), Andrew Hooper, Tom Muir (returning to Victoria), Mitch Thorp (returning to Tasmania), Ty Allen (retired).

After a wooden spoon in 2014, there is no other direction for the Tigers to go in 2015, and incoming coach Matthew Lokan will not take a cautious approach into the mission to restore Glenelg to a genuine contender. Selective recruiting targeted pace as a major area of improvement and they will certainly gain some excellent outside run with the likes of Milera, Johansen and Jacky. There are some losses in the leadership side, particularly Allen, but this will really throw the impetus now onto the second level players to seize their chance and step forward to become leaders.
There is no questioning much of the talent at Brighton Road, but how long they can sustain an upward curve as the season progresses, will be one of the real tests for the coaching group. Certainly, the incoming AFL experience will help but there still look some doubts over how often their attack can manufacture a winning score. Will rise upwards, but not quite finals yet.

2015 PREDICTION: 9th

North Adelaide:

INS: Lewis Johnston, Alex Spina (Adelaide), Derrick Wanganeen (Hawthorn), Mitch Curnow (Sturt), Brandan Parfitt (NT): NOTE – Mitch Clisby is contracted to return from Melbourne, but is currently a top-up player for Essendon in NAB Challenge, 2015 final destination TBA

OUTS: Addison Burns, Harrison Wigg (Adelaide), Matt Campbell (retired), Stuart Hill, Campbell Combe, Justin Schahinger, Ben Williams (country)

Sixth place in 2014 seemed an underachievement to some, but it reflected the loss of a number of key players from the 2013 Grand Final and it was a credit to the group they were still pressing for finals deep in the year. The late loss of Campbell robs coach Ken McGregor of poise and run from defence, but Wanganeen offers flexibility at both ends of the ground, while Johnston knows the system well and will undoubtedly straighten the Roosters attack.

Defence appears the Achilles Heel at present, with a considerable load onto the shoulders of Todd Miles in particular, and they will really need to build the run from the smaller defenders to take some of the load off. The late season emergence of Darren Shillabeer as a forward target gave North fans plenty to look forward to, and no doubt opposition teams will monitor him much more carefully and not allow him under the radar. Whether the playing group has improved overall sufficiently to make finals, however, looks a little doubtful at this stage.

2015 PREDICTION: 6th

Norwood:

INS: Alex Georgiou (returns – Melbourne), Mitch Wilkins (returns – North Melbourne), Andrew McInnes (Carlton), Mat Suckling (returns from VFL), Harry Viney (North Adelaide), Luke Partington, Brayden Deprinse (Port Magpies)

OUTS: Anthony Wilson (Adelaide), Kieran McGuinness, Gavin Hughes (retired), Mark Evans (Sturt), Luke Wilson (Port Magpies via Echunga), Andrew Kirwan (overseas), Angus Clarke (SAAFL), Aaron Luccon (country)

Aiming for a fourth consecutive flag, the pluses look to just outweigh the minuses from 2014. No question that the losses of McGuinness and Kirwan in particular will rob the Redlegs of run and carry, but Georgiou and Wilkins will almost be straight swaps. McInnes looks set to miss the opening few rounds, but Suckling's grunt around the ball was crucial in the 2012 and 2013 flags and cannot be underestimated.

One of the biggest question marks of 2015 is not so much whether Norwood have improved their list, as to whether the other nine clubs have sufficiently improved theirs to go past them. There just don’t look to be enough major debits to suggest a sudden slide, based on pure ability, but much of the test will be on the mental side of the season. Coach Ben Warren showed his continued growth as a coach no matter what challenges emerged as 2014 rolled on, and all things considered, the Redlegs look very hard to beat again in 2015.

2015 PREDICTION: Premiers.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Season Previews - Courtesy of Chris Kendall and "Sportsbeat' Empty Re: Season Previews - Courtesy of Chris Kendall and "Sportsbeat'

Post by Lee Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:24 am

Part 2:

2015 SANFL TEAM PREVIEWS – PART TWO

SOUTH ADELAIDE:

INS: Ben Darrou (Richmond), Ben Haren (Port Magpies), Scott Dixon (Geelong Falcons), Mitch Farmer (East Ringwood), Adam Flagg (Lavington)
OUTS: Tom Fields (Carlton), Keegan Brooksby (Gold Coast), Caleb Daniel (Western Bulldogs), Darcy Hourigan (Hahndorf), Cam DeVisser (Ironbank), John McDonald (Bridgewater), Todd McKay (Meningie), Josh Thewlis (retired)

On paper, the outs look to outweigh the ins at the 2014 preliminary finalists, but realistically, the losses of Brooksby and Daniel were long anticipated. It is the departure of Fields that will really throw out the Panthers defensive structure, with his raking left foot very hard to replace on the rebound. Thewlis’s leadership will also be a major loss, but the selection of co-captains Nick Murphy and Brad Crabb should prove astute choices.

The ins will add depth, but the real pressure test will be on those who have been at the club for 3-4 seasons without consistently consolidating a senior spot. The midfield of Nick Liddle, Joel Cross and Xavier Gotch remains top echelon, but there is also more tall support needed for Brett Eddy in attack to continue to spread the load. Replicating last year’s position may be tough but finals look well within reach.

2015 PREDICTION: Fourth

STURT:

INS: Jackson Allen (Gold Coast), James Battersby (returns – Adelaide), Will Paynter (returns – Adelaide reserves), Mark Evans (Norwood), Angus Bruggemann (Port Magpies), Lee Staple (W/WT via Bordertown), Richard O’Grady (Glenelg via North Gambier), Ben Dougall (resumes SANFL after SACA contract)

OUTS: Dean Gore, Tom Read (Geelong), James Rose (Sydney), Mitch Curnow (North Adelaide), Richard Tambling (Northern Territory), Ben Kane, James McLeay, Luke Panozzo, Tom Hurley, John Hinge (all retired)

The 2014 first semi-final thrashing at the hands of South has burnt deep at Unley in the off-season for a Double Blues outfit that felt they could have gone deeper into September. Losing a number of senior players will be tough, but it’s fair to say the best was behind many of them. Tambling’s clearance work is hard to replicate, but Battersby will benefit from a year on an AFL list and could step into the breach.
Staple’s recruitment should not be underestimated either, as his movement at the top of the 50 will clear space for the likes of Matthew Duldig and the underrated Evans to work in. while Bruggemann will give much needed support in ruck for Angus Kurtze. Pure pace still looks a slight issue, but there is no doubting the class around the park. Look well placed to rise on last year.

2015 PREDICTION: Third

WEST ADELAIDE:

INS: Jason Porplyzia (Adelaide), Brad Helbig (returns – Richmond) Ryan Willits (returns – Montmorency), Corey Solly (Port Magpies), Errin Wasley-Black (NT Thunder), Joe Cua (Redcliffs), Ben Klemke (Wodonga), Matt Schreck (Dalyston), Nick Westhoff (returns)

OUTS: Sam Durdin (North Melbourne), Michael Still, Ben McReadie (Victoria), Scott Bricknell, Kurt Thompson (Blackwood), Ryan Anderson (work), Drew Gallard (overseas), Tom Carter

Steady turnover at Milner Road, with a number of dependable but injury prone performers departing, and solid AFL experience returning. McReadie and Bricknell were reliable ball carriers and Still very good in front of goal, but all had difficulty stringing games together in the last couple of seasons. At his best, Porplyzia can be devastating and add leadership, but really needs to string games together, while Helbig should add grunt. Willits will be one of the best additions, with his height and mobility adding plenty to a team that struggled in the air last year.

The big question mark over West remains goalkicking options, and pure pace. At times, they struggled for winning scores last year and the season ending injury to Andrew Hayes further weakens their key position stocks. Will cause their share of upsets, but look short of the top echelon.

2015 PREDICTION: Eighth.

Woodville/West Torrens

INS: Nick Hayes (returns – Brisbane), Luke Thompson (returns – Adelaide), Fraser Thurlow (Essendon), Aseri Raikiwasa (Port Magpies): NOTE: Jared Petrenko has also committed to return, but is currently a top-up player for Essendon, so 2015 SANFL future uncertain

OUTS: Luke Powell, Chris Kane (retired), Adam Grocke (Onkaparinga Valley), Scott Blesing, Travis Lane, Todd Culley Sam Heinjus, Tasman Fitzgerald, Jack Muirhead.

Careful recruiting for the Eagles, with two returning from AFL stints and the underused Thurlow aiming to add to coach Michael Godden’s big man stocks. Raikiwasa will be a definite asset in an undersized defence, but the biggest loss will be the leadership of Powell after a fine career in the green, gold and blue. The majority of the other departures had never really found a regular league spot, so the promotion of a number of Under 18 players to the senior squads should leave plenty of hunger for spots.

The Eagles looked to be almost limping to the line last year, so a focus on a more gradual fitness looks the key for them to go deeper into September this year. Grocke’s loss leaves them a little vulnerable for marking power at the top of the 50, but given their taller options, it does hand opportunities for crumbers to work around the arc. Should see finals again, but how much of a rise remains to be seen.

2015 PREDICTION: Fifth

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Season Previews - Courtesy of Chris Kendall and "Sportsbeat' Empty Re: Season Previews - Courtesy of Chris Kendall and "Sportsbeat'

Post by Lee Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:52 am

Excellent write-ups as usual from CK.

Now for the biased bit. Very Happy

West have finished 2nd, 3rd and 9th in the last three years. Most judges are rating them on their 9th. I think that's a mistake.

Most of the losses are players who were injured last year and we've recruited Porplyzia, Helbig and Willits.

The real change will be in some great young talent.

I think we might have got under the radar.

End of biased bit.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:58 am

I think West improve, but I think other sides do too, and the Bloods are coming from a fair way back .. There's a big difference as you've highlighted Lee in finishing position in the previous 3 seasons. That's one of the big queries for mine, the difference between Collins and Mickan. If it's any consolation I had similar thoughts about Sturt last season and tipped them to finish bottom 2, which was obviously miles off.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:07 am

Correct. I have to say when looking at a possible finishing order this year I found it hard to work out who would finish second to Norwood. I see them, along with most people, as being a long way ahead of the rest at this stage, but it's a long time to the finals.

Collins and Mickan are very different coaches, each with their own strengths, but each having different approaches.

I rate Andy Collins very highly and Mark Mickan and the players have established a great rapport, but that takes a bit of time to gel and I think the results will start flowing.

You're right, most sides will improve, but I'm tending to write off last year for West for a number of reasons, so my starting point for them isn't 9th, but (say) mid-table.

I think 2015 is a greatly changed West Adelaide, but we all see our team like that, so I'm registering my hopes early.

I'm ignoring that I've said the same nearly each year for thirty years. Embarassed
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:34 am

Yeah it really is incredibly difficult to pick this year, all clubs have their strengths and weaknesses. On paper Norwood look pretty strong, but they had an unprecedented run of fortune with regard to injury last season, same could be said for Port. Across the board depth looks to be down for most if not all clubs, so more than ever before I think injury luck could play close to the biggest part.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:13 am

Always enjoy CK's previews...

Don't always agree with them, but that is what is great about subjective writing...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:07 am

SANFL TEAM PREVIEWS PART THREE

Adelaide Reserves:

PRIMARY INS TO SANFL SQUAD: Harrison Wigg, Addison Burns (North Adelaide), Dale Armstrong (Pooraka, former North Adelaide), Justin Bollenhagen (Renmark, former Fremantle/South Adelaide), Brock Castree (Golden Grove, former Central District), Josh Wittwer (Hahndorf, former Central District), Luke Carey (Echunga, former Port Magpies).

PRIMARY OUTS FROM SANFL SQUAD: Jason Porplyzia (returns to West Adelaide), Alex Spina (returns North Adelaide), James Battersby, Will Paynter, Tom Kluvanek (returning to Sturt), Michael O’Malley (Mannum), Gene Robinson (Bordertown).

Always difficult to line up the Adelaide reserves on a weekly basis, due to the vagaries of the AFL squad, particularly injuries and how many top-up players are required. While losing some strong AFL experienced players that were delisted from the main team, there are a number of incoming with SANFL experience over the years. If Bollenhagen can find some of the form that saw him taken by Fremantle, then he could be very handy, but motivation has been up and down since returning from the AFL.
Based on last year, it is also fair to say that there were some quarters, and matches, where the scoreboard appeared to be secondary to the pursuit of keeping the AFL players to structures and testing out different roles at SANFL level. No questioning that the coaching squad, led by Heath Younie, adjusted well to the league as the season wore on, but it is simply too difficult to make a case for the team making the finals, or stringing together more than a handful of wins.

2015 PREDICTION: Bottom

Port Magpies:

PRIMARY INS TO SANFL SQUAD: Luke Reynolds (Carlton rookie), Luke Wilson (Norwood, via Echunga), Tom Gray (Rudall), Ciaran Hollingworth-Hughes (West Whyalla), Sidney Masters (Ports)

PRIMARY OUTS FROM SANFL SQUAD: Ben Haren (South Adelaide), Angus Bruggemann (Sturt), Aseri Raikiwasa (Woodville/West Torrens), Luke Partington (Norwood), Jake Johansen (Glenelg)

Last year’s grand finalists will still be smarting from losing by less than a kick, and a reasonably settled squad for 2015 – as far as the SANFL side is concerned – will give coach Garry Hocking cause for optimism. The AFL arm had a very good run with injury in 2014, however, and this factor cannot be underestimated when measuring their relative success last year. Reynolds will add strength and leadership, and Wilson outside run, but it will be many of the returning players that will need to take another step upwards.
AFL draftees Logan Austin, Dylan Howard and Billy Frampton are all 195cm and taller, so there will be plenty of height at the Magpies this year, and that will certainly stretch many opposition defences. Provided there is not a serious injury run at Alberton, it would be reasonable to expect the team to again push hard for higher honours at this level.

2015 PREDICTION: 2nd

CK”s PREDICTED 2015 LADDER
1. Norwood
2. Port Magpies
3. Sturt
4. South Adelaide
5. Woodville/West Torrens

6. North Adelaide
7. Central District
8. West Adelaide
9. Glenelg
10. Adelaide Reserves

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down