Lee
mr o
Ben W
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Historical Merger Discussions - Page 2 Empty Re: Historical Merger Discussions

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:30 pm

That sounds familiar. Have you posted that before Ben?
Reckon we discussed that some time ago on MFF.

An interesting proposition.
Interesting times ahead, especially once this oval is built.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:04 pm

Yes, I tend to pick a side on an argument and stick with it irrespective COTWWG! :-)
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:44 pm

Ben W wrote:Interestingly Strawb that was the wishes and stated intention of the Port Adelaide Football Club when they made it official that they were making an attempt to enter the AFL.

I recall Fos Williams being interviewed outside of Alberton Oval as the news broke and he explained to the media what was happening and what would be on the table.

It was the SANFL that made Port Adelaide have the Magpies team in the SANFL against the wishes of the club at the time, yet in their eagerness to get into the AFL they accepted the conditions and it has been a millstone around their neck ever since IMO. I dont mean any offence to Port Adelaide fans, yet the stated goal of the PAFC is that Port are to be in the AFL and I think that when the next financial crisis comes along it could well be that in order to recieve the bail out funds that Port have to cut the Magpies loose as it will show a better balance sheet for the Power.

If that happens, I think Port Magpies should do an amalgamation of their own - with Port Districts and remain in the SANFL accordingly under their own steam!

NO! If anything, give it to North Haven! After all, we wear the same jumper and are the PRIDE OF THE PENINSULA!
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Leaping Lindner Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:23 pm

North came within a bees dick of merging with Sturt after the 1995 season. The only thing that saved it was a massive groundswell of anti merger support from members of both clubs. From memory both boards had agreed on it. New name, New Logo and playing at Prospect (I think ...might have been Adelaide though).
Leaping Lindner
Leaping Lindner

My club : north

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:North came within a bees dick of merging with Sturt after the 1995 season. The only thing that saved it was a massive groundswell of anti merger support from members of both clubs. From memory both boards had agreed on it. New name, New Logo and playing at Prospect (I think ...might have been Adelaide though).

The plan was for the club to play 7 games at Prospect, 7 at Adelaide and 7 at away grounds.

North at the time didn't need to merge, but there were ulterior motives for the club to merge. Sturt on the other hand were in huge financial strife. The Boards of both clubs thought that it was going to be a fait accompli similar to Woodville and Torrens, but North supporters in particular rallied strongly against the merger and it was clear that they would vote against the merger. This left Sturt in a bind. I think that they had to find something like $400,000 within two weeks to stay viable, which they did with the help of a huge donation from an ex-player.

The great irony was that Sturt, who at this stage had been bottom for 8 years in a row recovered to play in a Grand Final within 3 years and won a flag within another 4 years whereas North who were going to be the dominant club in the merger (takeover?) did run into huge financial problems within about 7 years and have experienced their worst ever drought on the field which continues to this day.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:28 pm

Given the financial problems affecting some clubs today, I wonder if further mergers are a distinct possibility in the not so distant future?

If so, who?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:36 pm

redandblack wrote:Given the financial problems affecting some clubs today, I wonder if further mergers are a distinct possibility in the not so distant future?

If so, who?

I would firstly look at cutting staff before thinking about merging. SANFL clubs may feel under pressure to follow the AFL and hire 5 coaches, a football operations manager etc etc when sometimes I really think it is all unnecessary.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2